or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Here's the latest I saw from Sony
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Here's the latest I saw from Sony  

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
I just got home from the Sony line show in Vegas. The topic is Blu-Ray, so I'll forego the other stuff I saw.

The Blu-Ray demo seemed to be the most popular of the show. People queued up for just about every presentation and it was standing room only for the several presentations I saw fill up. The presentation was a disc with a short montage of clips and two trailers, one for Narnia and one for Chicken Little. The video and audio (uncompressed PCM multi-channel) were splendid on the Ruby projector, as one would expect. High bit rate MPEG-2 can look very, very good, as any owner of D-Theater can attest.

The Sony player was very much in evidence, sort of. These were preproduction boxes and I saw only two of them that worked, or were playing. Several other non-working boxes were scattered around, in my opinion, to give ther impression that Sony was actually ready, which they obviously are not. The latest word on Sony's BD player is shipping late July (like, the very end of July) for sale in mid-August. I suppose the good news is the reported lower MSRP of $999 is official.

There was not a single "real" BD disc in evidence anywhere, just a lot of empty keepcases.

PS3? One of the national sales people openly admitted she had no idea.
post #2 of 36
Read Widescreen Review Magazine (this months issue). Paul Sweeting has an article discussing the fact that the PS3 may not be able to have BR built in. He also discusses the sony underground.com survey they just gave to gamers. And one of the questions was how important HD features are to you with the PS3? He also states that if they do make a PS3/BR player it will most likely be 999.99. And a game console without 499.99. His last good point was the fact that the delay is being caused by the BR technology(mainly price). And it may be 2007 before we get a PS3 (that will suck)...I personaly do want a PS3 and I hope there is no way they can let this go til next year...
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Read Widescreen Review Magazine (this months issue). Paul Sweeting has an article discussing the fact that the PS3 may not be able to have BR built in. He also discusses the sony underground.com survey they just gave to gamers. And one of the questions was how important HD features are to you with the PS3? He also states that if they do make a PS3/BR player it will most likely be 999.99. And a game console without 499.99. His last good point was the fact that the delay is being caused by the BR technology(mainly price). And it may be 2007 before we get a PS3 (that will suck)...I personaly do want a PS3 and I hope there is no way they can let this go til next year...
Sounds like the format war has just become irrelevant.

What on earth will everyone argue about now??

I look forward to getting high def movies as soon as possible. There is now no downside to owning the first format out of the gate, as you will still be able to play them regardless of who loses - thanks to the new hybrid players announced.

With Sony and Pioneer now admitting they will be later than May (ie AUGUST!) is there really any point in waiting that long to start enjoying???

Later on - when BOTH formats are releasing movies, there'll be plenty of time to properly evaluate which one really is better, both in PQ and reliability. Further decisions can then be made as to what format to favour for future purchases - based on facts.
post #4 of 36
Obviously that article was written before yesterday's Sony press conference. ;)
post #5 of 36
Did yesterday's press conference state whether or not the BR capability would be an add on? And did sony tell consumers about the possiblilty of a 2007 launch because they are hoping for the pricing to come down on the BR drive which costs an estimated 350.00 per unit? And lastly did they discuss their underground.com survey which had questions pertaining to HD functionality of the PS3? One of the biggest questions was whether you are not immediatley interested in HD features for the PS3...Say what you want about the survey, but it appeared a few days before Merrill Lynch issued a report suggesting the PS3 was proving far more difficult to manufacture than expected. Then he also reports that the news sent sony's shares into a talespin on the Nikkei stock exchange in Tokyo...If they price the unit at 799 sony would lose atleast 400.00 per unit. Even if they priced it at 799.00 it would hurt them because the xbox 360 would be much less. Their only options at this time are to either pull the BR drive and offer an add on or to delay the PS3 in hopes the Cell processors (which Merrill Lynch says cost 230.00 each) come down. A delay may prove costly though, both for the format war and their nextgen video game war with the 360... And for the record, I am "immediately interested" in the HD features of the PS3...
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Did yesterday's press conference state whether or not the BR capability would be an add on?
There is full BD support.

Quote:
And did sony tell consumers about the possiblilty of a 2007 launch because they are hoping for the pricing to come down on the BR drive which costs an estimated 350.00 per unit?
That's the famously-inflated ML estimate. How is it possible that cost for Sony of a Blu-ray reader is $350 when the retail price of a Samsung Blu-ray burner will be $500? Does not compute.

Quote:
And lastly did they discuss their underground.com survey which had questions pertaining to HD functionality of the PS3? One of the biggest questions was whether you are not immediatley interested in HD features for the PS3...
Why should they? Sony was probably checking whether HD functionality was a big selling point for their upcoming marketing campaign.

Quote:
Say what you want about the survey, but it appeared a few days before Merrill Lynch issued a report suggesting the PS3 was proving far more difficult to manufacture than expected. Then he also reports that the news sent sony's shares into a talespin on the Nikkei stock exchange in Tokyo...
The share value fully recovered in a matter of days, so the market decided it wasn't so serious.

Quote:
If they price the unit at 499 sony would lose atleast 400.00 per unit.
There was an adding error - the real cost estimate was $800, not $900. They have corrected the report since.

And anyway, Merrill Lynch Japan have issued a new cost estimate according to which the PS3 would cost a "mere" $630 to make.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...fer=news_index
post #7 of 36
If everything you are stating is correct, then why is the PS3 still being delayed?
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
If everything you are stating is correct, then why is the PS3 still being delayed?

Read all about it!
post #9 of 36
Before anyone on this forum get's overexcited about PS3 just remeber one thing: This news came from Crazy Ken Kutaragi himself..this is the guy that claimed PS3 would power NASA.

The guy that said 120fps, the guy that said it will be 3x powerfull than xbox360

The guy that said it would be a super computer.

Does any of this ring a bell? i can go on and on.

You should be very skepticall about this news especially this coming from KK himself, a master of deception.

Take what ever the announcements were yesterday with a grain of salt.

I'm very skeptical and don't believe PS3 will be ready by November especially since development kits just got finalized and developers hav'nt got final kits yet.

Because of this i highly am skeptical that sony will show any PS3 playable games at E3

Just something to think about,there is more to the PS3 delay than meets the eye, sony surely is'nt telling us something.

I'm skeptical..so should you. especially this news coming from KK himself a master of deception.

Now think about all what he said very hard yesterday.
post #10 of 36
I'm sure there are plenty of people that are skeptical. It's natural to be in this day and age anyway. And anyone that gets taken in deserves to be. But do we need to be reminded of it in every thread?
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
You should be very skepticall about this news especially this coming from KK himself, a master of deception.
Quote:
Take what ever the announcements were yesterday with a grain of salt.
Quote:
I'm very skeptical and don't believe PS3 will be ready by November especially since development kits just got finalized and developers hav'nt got final kits yet.
Quote:
Because of this i highly am skeptical that sony will show any PS3 playable games at E3
Quote:
Just something to think about,there is more to the PS3 delay than meets the eye, sony surely is'nt telling us something.
Quote:
I'm skeptical..so should you. especially this news coming from KK himself a master of deception.
Quote:
Now think about all what he said very hard yesterday.
Wait, I'm confused. Are you skeptical? Should we be skeptical? Is Ken Kutaragi a master of deception?

Seriously though, does this post contain anything that can be considered information, or is it polluting the thread for those who actually want information? I suggest you read the press release from Sony concerning their plans for Blu-ray rollout, including the looooong list of retailers. Oh, and one more thing. You said "development kits just got finalized and developers hav'nt got final kits yet." Well, I should point out that the final dev kits for the 360 didn't arrive until August 2005, just three months before its November release. There are still thousands of PS3 dev kits that are in use, final or not.
post #12 of 36
Also remember though that PS3 is using different technology compared to XBOX360, it will be a bit more3 difficult to develop for it given it's not a walk in the park.

AS for my post saying if you should be skeptical or i am skeptical, it's both;)

As it is i'm skeptical.
post #13 of 36
FACT did you know PS2 was supposed to be equiped with an AOL browser but it never happened? do some research and look it up it's ver y interesting.

One of the reasons i doubt we will see a linux pre-installed on the HDD.Sounds nice but i'm guessing it's just to entice you even more, more to wet the whistle to put it in simple terms:)
post #14 of 36
I quess you didnt read http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?t=656755marks post in the main forum matt.
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
FACT did you know PS2 was supposed to be equiped with an AOL browser but it never happened? do some research and look it up it's ver y interesting.
FACT: Did you know that Peter Moore said this about the 360:
Quote:
Next generation games will combine unprecedented audio and visual experiences to create worlds that are beyond real and they'll deliver storylines and gameplay so compelling that it will feel like living a lucid dream. The result is a state where you achieve the perfect mind-body equilibrium as you forget your physical surroundings and you become completely immersed in the game itself; this controller becomes an extension of your body, it becomes the gateway to the Zen of gaming.
Whoa. It sounds like he'd been consuming some of British Columbia's famous underground export, if you get my drift. Point is, this ain't just Krazy Ol' Ken. Let's just leave it at that.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
Before anyone on this forum get's overexcited about PS3 just remeber one thing: This news came from Crazy Ken Kutaragi himself..this is the guy that claimed PS3 would power NASA.
At last count you have made 713 total posts, within those 713 posts you have posted the above at least 60 times. Enough we get it already, you think you are very clever. We understand!!!
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
I just got home from the Sony line show in Vegas. The topic is Blu-Ray, so I'll forego the other stuff I saw.

The Blu-Ray demo seemed to be the most popular of the show. People queued up for just about every presentation and it was standing room only for the several presentations I saw fill up. The presentation was a disc with a short montage of clips and two trailers, one for Narnia and one for Chicken Little. The video and audio (uncompressed PCM multi-channel) were splendid on the Ruby projector, as one would expect. High bit rate MPEG-2 can look very, very good, as any owner of D-Theater can attest.

The Sony player was very much in evidence, sort of. These were preproduction boxes and I saw only two of them that worked, or were playing. Several other non-working boxes were scattered around, in my opinion, to give ther impression that Sony was actually ready, which they obviously are not. The latest word on Sony's BD player is shipping late July (like, the very end of July) for sale in mid-August. I suppose the good news is the reported lower MSRP of $999 is official.

There was not a single "real" BD disc in evidence anywhere, just a lot of empty keepcases.

PS3? One of the national sales people openly admitted she had no idea.
Looks like Tweeter gave me some good info on the 999.00 as well as August for sales date then.
Thanks for commenting on the uncompressed multi channel audio as I will finally be able to justify my way overkill surround and center speakers :)
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran
At last count you have made 713 total posts, within those 713 posts you have posted the above at least 60 times. Enough we get it already, you think you are very clever. We understand!!!
Just want to make sure EVERYBODY undestands :D

ROFL.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
Just want to make sure EVERYBODY undestands :D

ROFL.
It's spamming and trolling.

Your response here pretty much gives it away when I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt.

You've made your point. You're with HD-DVD. We get it.

This is exactly the kind of thing you've been complaining about and protesting against in the HD-DVD forums.

Please stop.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5&page=1&pp=30 post 28. Sound and look familliar?
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George
The video and audio (uncompressed PCM multi-channel) were splendid

So the player had analog outputs?

May ask if you saw 6 or 8 of them?
post #21 of 36
Can someone please explain to me how Sony is going to use MPEG2 AND uncompressed PCM on a BD25? Let's take the 5th Element as an example, which is 126 minutes. Can someone who is technically inclined run the numbers with all the mandatory tracks, etc.

What am I missing? Either we've been totally misled by certain individuals here with regard to avg bitrates needed for video transparency, or Sony knows something we don't (or has some breakthrough or surprise)?
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
Read Widescreen Review Magazine (this months issue). Paul Sweeting has an article discussing the fact that the PS3 may not be able to have BR built in. He also discusses the sony underground.com survey they just gave to gamers. And one of the questions was how important HD features are to you with the PS3? He also states that if they do make a PS3/BR player it will most likely be 999.99. And a game console without 499.99. His last good point was the fact that the delay is being caused by the BR technology(mainly price). And it may be 2007 before we get a PS3 (that will suck)...
Man it must be nice to just be able to make **** up, publish it in a magazine and get payed for it. I swear I'm in the wrong field.

And that isn't directed at you joerod, it is at Paul Sweeting and Widescreen Review.
post #23 of 36
Are you saying that Sony is filing a lawsuit for this incorrect info?
post #24 of 36
As long as it was all conjectural, no they can't be sued. However, magazines have a long lead time between final go-ahead on content and getting to our hands. The WSR article may have had some information based on old news, but it's been disproven since it was printed. Actually, some of it was disproven before it was printed (the prices in particular), and I have a hard time imagining Sweeting putting his name on it. For something as fluid as this format war, I wouldn't count on monthly paper publications for news.
post #25 of 36
999.00 Sounds correct. Best Buy has it for pre-order:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288677966
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032
999.00 Sounds correct.
From the way it was posted, it sounds like the article says a PS3 with Blu-ray would be $999, not the standalone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod
He also states that if they do make a PS3/BR player it will most likely be 999.99.
This has been debunked over and over again.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
Before anyone on this forum get's overexcited about PS3 just remeber one thing: This news came from Crazy Ken Kutaragi himself..this is the guy that claimed PS3 would power NASA.

The guy that said 120fps, the guy that said it will be 3x powerfull than xbox360

The guy that said it would be a super computer.

Does any of this ring a bell? i can go on and on.

You should be very skepticall about this news especially this coming from KK himself, a master of deception.

.
I think some balance is need here.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...lance&n=283155

Just wondering how many complimentary books have been written about you?..........

Well, not really. :rolleyes:
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27
Just want to make sure EVERYBODY undestands :D
Me too. In case you missed it.......................

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...lance&n=283155
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert
There was an adding error - the real cost estimate was $800, not $900. They have corrected the report since.

And anyway, Merrill Lynch Japan have issued a new cost estimate according to which the PS3 would cost a "mere" $630 to make.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...fer=news_index
Wow, at the rate that estimates are dropping, the PS/3 will be profitable for Sony in a couple of months. :D

Gary
post #30 of 36
Robert,
Any news there about a new FP device ?

Art
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Here's the latest I saw from Sony