Originally Posted by DTR00GT
Interestingly, I got bumped from Tech USA to Tech CAN to confirm that I could have the overscan 'fix' if I bought this TV (5296). Here is what they told me (L2):
1) they are aware if it, and they know its all over the forums
2) It only happens with an Xbox (don't know if that's true, but its what they believe)
3) They are working on it with MS to see where the incompatibility is.
4) No eta on a solution.
1) So my guestion, has anyone connected a PC to confirm there is no overscan with a PC?
2) Can anyone POSITIVELY confirm that there is no overscan on HD signals??
You got bad information from tech support.
The 1080p series runs 1-2% overscan at all times. It has nothing to do with XBox afaik.
If you watch a lot of SD, or if you don't use the set for a HTPC, I see little reason to worry much about overscan. It's there to eliminate the twittering edge on SD, but it does mess with your toolbar with a PC.
You can schedule a service call to have them tweak the overscan, but i'm still in the process of discovering if it can be 100% eliminated. I'll report back.
Also, afaik, the gurus here at AVS have not found out how to tweak overscan in the SM. Please someone let me know if that's wrong. I'd love to save the money of the service call, and just send you beer.