or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Depeche Mode SACDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Depeche Mode SACDs

post #1 of 87
Thread Starter 
I just recieved an email from Music Direct announcing pre-order of 3 Depeche Mode SACDs- Violator, Speak And Spell and Music For The Masses, which is my fave DM recording. They dont appear to be hi-rez 5.1 mixes, but they should still sound pretty good. Hey, first Talking Heads, then Moody Blues- some really good stuff is being released on MC!
post #2 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

I just recieved an email from Music Direct announcing pre-order of 3 Depeche Mode SACDs- Violator, Speak And Spell and Music For The Masses, which is my fave DM recording. They dont appear to be hi-rez 5.1 mixes, but they should still sound pretty good.

That's really good news. Being a teenager through the '80's, Depeche Mode was one of my favorite's.

SA-CD.net has them all listed as hybrid/multi-channel, so maybe they will be 5.1 mixes.

http://www.sa-cd.net/search/depeche+mode/1/0/0/1
post #3 of 87
Thread Starter 
They are in 5.1, but not at the highest resolution bitrate, I'm afraid. Violator should lend itself well to multi-channel
post #4 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

They are in 5.1, but not at the highest resolution bitrate, I'm afraid. Violator should lend itself well to multi-channel

What do you mean by "not at the highest resolution bitrate"?

SACDs bit rate/sampling rate is only one.
post #5 of 87
Thread Starter 
The description at Music Direct says they have DTS and Dolby D 5.1 mixes. Is that the best they can be on SACD? I know that is not true audiophile surround on DVD-A.
post #6 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

The description at Music Direct says they have DTS and Dolby D 5.1 mixes. Is that the best they can be on SACD? I know that is not true audiophile surround on DVD-A.

That's the description of the extra DVD the 2 discs set includes. The primary disc is a hybrid SACD\\CD with both SACD 5.1 and SACD 2ch DSD high resolution digital format runing at 2.8224MHz plus the CD 2ch layer at 44.1Khz/16bit. SACD doesn't support DTS or Dolby Digital. The other disc is a regular DVD-Video disc with all the extras.

Hope to clarify your confusion.
post #7 of 87
Thread Starter 
Glad to hear it, HiRes- add these to the Must Buy list!
post #8 of 87
Just got "Violator" and it sounds great in SACD surround!

All together a great package: 2 discs in a beautiful fold-out digipak and transparent slip case.

The rest of their catalog is reportedly being released later this year. My personal favorite is "Songs of Faith and Devotion." Can't wait!

Mitch
post #9 of 87
On the topic of DM, how's 101? Also, under "Content" SA-CD.net lists it as "multichannel/stereo." Is it a mix of 2.0 and 5.1 tracks?
post #10 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

On the topic of DM, how's 101? Also, under "Content" SA-CD.net lists it as "multichannel/stereo." Is it a mix of 2.0 and 5.1 tracks?

It's not a mix - as in some tracks are in stereo while other tracks are in multichannel.

The SACD contains the entire album in Redbook CD stereo format, the entire album in DSD stereo, and the entire album in DSD multichannel.


fuad
post #11 of 87
I'm happy to hear about these releases also. In addition, I hope they release Black Celebration - that album brings back quite a few good memories. Furthermore, if you haven't bought it already, the concert video A Night In Paris is really enjoyable, even though the picture quality is not first rate. Without a doubt, it's a great show, with top notch performances by David Gahan and Martin Gore. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite parts in the video, is when Martin Gore tells the audience to shut up in French - so that he may perform his solo.
post #12 of 87
Wow, the performance of stereo and multichannel SACD, and a DVD version with 5.1 surround - all for less than $26 on CD Universe! What's the hell is next, a free concert ticket with each purchase?
post #13 of 87
Can someone shed some light? CDUniverse lists these as SACD with a DVD-A disc. This is shown at the bottom of the listing:

"Digitally remastered UK double disc edition of the Depeche Mode classic album that includes a hybrid SACD of the original studio album coupled with a DVD-A (PAL/RC-0) with the full contents of the SACD plus bonus tracks and a band featurette. (You must have a PAL capable player to utilize the DVD-A)."

Being from the UK, is this DVD-A disc wasted on most of us? My unit doesn't play PAL discs.
post #14 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289 View Post

Can someone shed some light? CDUniverse lists these as SACD with a DVD-A disc. This is show at the bottom of the listing:

"Digitally remastered UK double disc edition of the Depeche Mode classic album that includes a hybrid SACD of the original studio album coupled with a DVD-A (PAL/RC-0) with the full contents of the SACD plus bonus tracks and a band featurette. (You must have a PAL capable player to utilize the DVD-A)."

Being from the UK, is this DVD-A disc wasted on most of us? My unit doesn't play PAL discs.

I doubt it's a DVD-A. Just a DVD. Otherwise it's replicating the SACD and what's the point in that.

Being so, the DVD would be wasted on people with no multi-system capability. But at least you can watch it on your PC if you wanna know what's in the disc.


fuad
post #15 of 87
>>Can someone shed some light? CDUniverse lists these as SACD with a DVD-A disc.

It's a DVD-Video not a DVD-Audio, but it's got the complete album in:

Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS 5.1 24/96
PCM 2.0 24/48
post #16 of 87
Has anyone gotten theirs yet? I received a shipping notice from CD-WOW last week, but mine haven't arrived yet. I'm just wondering what people make of the mixes.
post #17 of 87
I was out of town all week but Speak& Spell, Music For the Masses, and Violator were all waitng on me when I got home last night. Ordered from CD-WOW!
post #18 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I was out of town all week but Speak& Spell, Music For the Masses, and Violator were all waitng on me when I got home last night. Ordered from CD-WOW!

So, how are they in surround?
post #19 of 87
The 5.1 mixes are great! Surround is used actively and in an appropriate way. This music is really suited for surround, and I prefer to listen to these albums in this way.
post #20 of 87
  • March 2nd:

    Speak & Spell (SACD)
    Music For The Masses (SACD)
    Violator (SACD)
  • April 13th:

    A Broken Frame (SACD)
    Construction Time Again (SACD)
    Some Great Reward (SACD)
  • June 15th:

    Black Celebration (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion Live (SACD)
  • August 10th:

    Ultra (SACD)
    Exciter (SACD)

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...es/221543.html
post #21 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvda-sacd View Post

  • March 2nd:

    Speak & Spell (SACD)
    Music For The Masses (SACD)
    Violator (SACD)
  • April 13th:

    A Broken Frame (SACD)
    Construction Time Again (SACD)
    Some Great Reward (SACD)
  • June 15th:

    Black Celebration (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion (SACD)
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion Live (SACD)
  • August 10th:

    Ultra (SACD)
    Exciter (SACD)

Clearly these original dates are now wrong and/or at best a month off
post #22 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa View Post

The 5.1 mixes are great! Surround is used actively and in an appropriate way. This music is really suited for surround, and I prefer to listen to these albums in this way.

Have the first 3 now. My wife calls me 'old school', but it's great to listen to finally listen to some music I actually like (from my high school/college days) on hi-res MC.
post #23 of 87
WOW. I'm an avid DM fan since the start, and didn't realize all these were coming out until just now. Black Celebration and Music for the Masses are in my all time favs of any albums.

This explains it all:

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/40
post #24 of 87
The next must-have SACDs (for me, personally) since my orginal purchase of everything I liked by Billy Joel. That purchase preceeded my purchase of an actual player (Sony ES SCD-C555ES).

The "Pepper and Eggs" Sopranos soundtrack was excellent, but I didn't know that until after I got it and took a listen. That does not count as "must-have" in my book.
post #25 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd View Post

On the topic of DM, how's 101? Also, under "Content" SA-CD.net lists it as "multichannel/stereo." Is it a mix of 2.0 and 5.1 tracks?

Others may disagree, but I was let down with 101. It's strange, years ago when they released the double CD, I thought the quality was poor, and then I recently grabbed the SACD and voila, same thing. I'm sure the rest of their albums will be excellent, but for me 101 has always been a let-down. Great music, poor recording.
post #26 of 87
o i love depeche mode
post #27 of 87
Thread Starter 
I think 101 sounded so bad because it was recorded in mammoth L.A. colisseum
post #28 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post

WOW. I'm an avid DM fan since the start, and didn't realize all these were coming out until just now. Black Celebration and Music for the Masses are in my all time favs of any albums.

This explains it all:

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/40

So where do I buy this SA-CD version?

Is this the proper link? http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...48058938&BAB=E

If it is, it's still not out yet (release date is June 27).

or do I buy from CD WOW which has the PAL video which is lost on me.

Can someone please clarify definitively?
post #29 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjun91 View Post

So where do I buy this SA-CD version?

Is this the proper link? http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...48058938&BAB=E

If it is, it's still not out yet (release date is June 27).

or do I buy from CD WOW which has the PAL video which is lost on me.

Can someone please clarify definitively?

I ordered mine from CD WOW. http://www4.cd-wow.us/detail_results...ct_code=268891

It's 2 discs...SACD & PAL DVD (the dvd has video).

I think you'll be hard pressed to find it for less money than CD WOW.

Good luck!
post #30 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9 View Post

I think 101 sounded so bad because it was recorded in mammoth L.A. colisseum

I think it was the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, but I could be wrong. Still a big stadium. Bought "101" anyway, and it definitely won't get as much listening time as S&S, Violator and Masses. Seemed like just crowd noise in the surrounds in "101".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Depeche Mode SACDs