or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › PSB Speakers Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 111

post #3301 of 5504
has anyone DIRECTLY compared the old Image B15/B25 to the new B6/B5? yes, i searched and didn't see a comparo.

i previously owned a PSB Image B25-based system, which i bought blind from saturday audio on the recommendation of a member here, and felt that they were VERY good speakers for the money. a couple years ago, i had a few bucks in the wallet and was looking to upgrade to either B&W's or 'Digms. i compared my B25's directly to the B&W 685, which i DID like.. a lot. but i also felt that the B&Ws didn't perform at a level justifying the price increase - just not enough of a jump in performance to justify a $2,000+ investment in a 5.0 system. and the final nail in B&W's coffin was (at least for ME) the 2 center channels in the 600 series - underwhelming IMHO.

on the other hand, the Studio 40v4's, which were on closeout at the time, were a revelation. of course they were 4X the money, but i still felt it was worth it, especially since the goal THEN was to eventually move them downstairs when i finished renovating my basement, post-katrina (something i'm "still working on" ). circumstances later dictated their sale, along with my receiver and bluray.

right now, i'm just looking for something decent and inexpensive (~500 to 1K for a 5.0 rig) for my den, where this stuff all goes. the den is the main hang-room, fairly small (~1800 cu ft), and not an ideal listening environment (hardwood floors, plaster walls, glass coffee table, wood plantation shutters on the windows directly opposite the 17"-deep wall unit which houses everything... INCLUDING the L/R/C speakers. i'm hoping that Audessey can take care of any bass issues due to the new Image's being rear-ported and my actually placing them in a bookshelf - the leading edge of the speaker will be "hanging a few inches out" of a space which is 17 inches deep x 22" x22".

the only thing i kept from the previous HT was my sub, an Energy s10.3 which i got for $199 on closeout from Vanns, and which is the perfect size for my den. i doubted it could be replaced with anything close to it's performance level and musicality at that pricepoint, and am glad i kept it.

FYI, the contenders right now for my new 5.0 rig seem to be:

S30/S50/S20 - $550 shipped
DefTech ProMonitors 1000/C2000/800 - around 750 from a local B&M
Wharfdale Diamond 10.1/CC/10SR - around 900 shipped
PSB new Image rig (B6 or B5/C5/B4) - 900-1K shipped, depending on the L/R

while cheaper is better, music reproduction is of far more importance to me than HT bombastics. i'm willing to spend what i need for a B6/B5-based system, as long as the cost/benefit of the step-up can be justified. i listen to acoustic jazz, some blues, old-school funk, even older R&B (50's and 60's stuff), and a bit of classical/orchestral stuff on occasion.

i know i will get the suggestion... "go listen". i would love nothing better and intended to do JUST THAT, but the dealer where i got the 'digms is also the local Cambridge dealer AND WAS the PSB dealer. he "doesn't stock" the Cambridge and has friggin' discontinued PSB. he also had THE WORST salesman i have recently encountered!

"I need somthing decent for around 300/pr...like i had."

"okay, check out these amazing bookshelves for only 1200/pr..."


what a DOUCHE !!!!!!. sigh.....

sadly, new orleans, for all its great music, is a TERRIBLE market to buy audio gear. so any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

oh, and finally, i'm planning on driving everything with a new Onkyo TX-NR709.

TIA for any replies.
post #3302 of 5504
Where can I purchase port plugs for the Imagines? Are they only available directly from Lenbrook? Any idea how much a pair costs. Thanks
post #3303 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSkier View Post

Where can I purchase port plugs for the Imagines? Are they only available directly from Lenbrook? Any idea how much a pair costs. Thanks

I got extras from my dealer for free and I'd assume you can too. I've no idea what they might cost though.
post #3304 of 5504
I have a Denon 1912 receiver in a small HT room.

I am planning on buying a house in the near future which may have a medium sized room.

Im looking at the Image B6 and Image T5 speakers.

I like bookshelf speakers but am worried about efficiency and sound quality vs towers.

Will my receiver power either one of these speakers effectively?
post #3305 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schappy View Post

I have a Denon 1912 receiver in a small HT room.

I am planning on buying a house in the near future which may have a medium sized room.

Im looking at the Image B6 and Image T5 speakers.

I like bookshelf speakers but am worried about efficiency and sound quality vs towers.

Will my receiver power either one of these speakers effectively?

You should be OK. The PSB Image line is pretty efficient. My Dad runs 2 T5s off of a Marantz SR4023 with no problem.
post #3306 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

I got extras from my dealer for free and I'd assume you can too. I've no idea what they might cost though.

Yeah, I meant to ask when I drove the 1.5 hours to return my Imagine C today, but I forgot. The C failed the WAF but the Bs passes so I can live with that.
post #3307 of 5504
I haven't heard the new ones, but I'm a little puzzled as to why the Image B6 has FR that is a lot less flat than the B25.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...r-measurements
http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...r-measurements
post #3308 of 5504
Anybody else have an opinion on the efficiency of these speakers with my setup.

I was also looking at paradigms which seem to be alot more efficient.

I like the PSBs better but need to make sure I can power them.
post #3309 of 5504
anybody?
post #3310 of 5504
Ok, Ive narrowed my decision down to the Image B6 and the Image T5's.

Can anyone give me some input as to which speakers would better fit my needs.

Like I said, I have a small room(plan on moving though), have Denon 1912 and primarily listen to music.

If I buy the Image 6 speakers I can afford a subwoofer right away.

If I go with the T5s I will have to wait awhile for the sub.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #3311 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schappy View Post

Ok, Ive narrowed my decision down to the Image B6 and the Image T5's. <...>Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It is all very individual. Personally I prefer floorstanding speakers... I have T6 and I am still looking for sub. T5 will not give you very good bass extension anyway. Get B6-s and start collecting money for a good sub... something like SVS PB-12 NSD
post #3312 of 5504
Does the 6ohm impedance cause any problems with certain receivers?
post #3313 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schappy View Post

Does the 6ohm impedance cause any problems with certain receivers?

Some receivers are rated to work with 8 Ohm speakers. Others can work with 6 Ohm and higher or even 4 Ohm and higher. In absolute majority of cases 6 Ohm speaker impedance is not a problem as far as you do not push your receiver to the limits. Use moderate levels of volume and you will not see the problem. Also, using bookshelf speakers in combination with active subwoofer helps reducing the power output required from receiver.

On the other hand, if you like very loud sound.... you need to consider powerful receiver.
post #3314 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Thanks. The clarity and detail of the B&Ws was amazing. The Def Tech and the MLs both sounded great until I heard the B&Ws. But they (B&W) are next to impossible for me to get and quite expensive in comparison. And I don't really have enough power for them for HT use.

Does anyone here have any more info as to how the T6s sound in relation to the B&W 683s or the new Def Tech super towers?

Thanks
Gene

Heard the Imagine T's VS those B&W. it was close but the mids where better on the PSB's. The Image T6 is very close to the performance of the Imagine T's so I would say for 1/2 the cost of the B&W it is a no brainer Image T6's all the way!
post #3315 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

Heard the Imagine T's VS those B&W. it was close but the mids where better on the PSB's. The Image T6 is very close to the performance of the Imagine T's so I would say for 1/2 the cost of the B&W it is a no brainer Image T6's all the way!

Thanks. That's good to "hear".

Gene
post #3316 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima333a View Post

It is all very individual. Personally I prefer floorstanding speakers... I have T6 and I am still looking for sub. T5 will not give you very good bass extension anyway. Get B6-s and start collecting money for a good sub... something like SVS PB-12 NSD

I concur the bass extension on the B6 is pretty good and they are very full sounding speakers. Paired with a sub they'll sound even better.
post #3317 of 5504
I really like my PSB surround system. I started with 2 Stratus Silveri's back around 2003, then acquired a stratus C6i center, used, back around 2007, and last year I installed the Image S speakers for surrounds. They seem to match the sound of the Stratus series quite well, and the cherry color is also pretty compatible. Matched with an SVS PC-12+, and Onkyo 807 receiver (fronts powered by an HK Citation 2-ch amp), I find the audio very satisfying even in a large room.
post #3318 of 5504
So I got rid of my subs this week to make way for my new Rythmik FV15, well I went into my AVR and decided to run my Image T65s fullband and HOLY COW, I forgot just how powerful these bad boys are.

They were hitting hard and clean and the highs were still clear and articulate. I love my PSBs, in fact I just got a friend on the PSB bandwagon, he picked up a pair of Image 7PT towers (integrated amp) and he is absolutely in love with them.

Just thought I would share my experience again, reading through this thread gave me the itch to unleash the full power of these monsters and I spent 3 hours straight just experiencing them all over again....
post #3319 of 5504
Well this makes no sense to me. PSB has changed their pricing on lots of things, the Imagine S Surround came down in price about $50 but the T6 went up in price about $85, where's the logic in that? I don't know about other prices but may be able to find out later what went up or down and by how much, if anybody cares. For me to buy both now will cost about $40 more than just a month ago. ps, these are not MSRP numbers
post #3320 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

Well this makes no sense to me. PSB has changed their pricing on lots of things, the Imagine S Surround came down in price about $50 but the T6 went up in price about $85, where's the logic in that? I don't know about other prices but may be able to find out later what went up or down and by how much, if anybody cares. For me to buy both now will cost about $40 more than just a month ago. ps, these are not MSRP numbers

PSB Suggests to their distributors what to sell their speakers for, but in the end it is up to the distributor to sell them for whatever they feel is a good fit for their country. That's why you'll get slightly different prices from country to country.
post #3321 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebook23 View Post

PSB Suggests to their distributors what to sell their speakers for, but in the end it is up to the distributor to sell them for whatever they feel is a good fit for their country. That's why you'll get slightly different prices from country to country.

Right but I'm talking about the price PSB charges the retailer, in Canada in Canadian dollars. I did say I wasn't talking about MSRP, I was talking about retailer cost!
post #3322 of 5504
I'm in a situation in a new house (and not likely to buy another) where I'm going to have to install all of my speakers for a 5.1 surround sound system in my ceiling... I do have a very good location for a subwoofer on my floor. I would like to use the PSB CW180S for all 5 of my speakers (I'm always open to suggestions), but I'm very reluctant to install them without a well-constructed enclosure on the attic side to protect the speakers, reduce bleed to other areas of my house, and hopefully to get a bit more base out of my speakers. To my knowledge, PSB doesn't sell enclosures for this speaker (please tell me if I'm wrong). So, can anyone tell me how best to construct an enclosure that would work well with this particular speaker?

Note that I have owned what I consider to be some of the best speakers ever made... a pair of Stratus Silver towers, a pair of Stratus Minis, and a Stratus C6i Center Channel speaker (I've never gotten around to buying a subwoofer). Unfortunately the room in which I'm installing in-ceiling speakers is not a good choice for either floor or wall speakers.

Any information you could provide to me would be very much appreciated...
post #3323 of 5504
Owner of T65/C60/and S5 surrounds. I have a NAD T775 receiver, so this is my setup. BTW, I LOVE MY PSBs. Not even looking to upgrade and they are almost 10 years old.

I need a new SUB and I'm looking at the SS5i or SS300. Room size is approx 12 X 15.

I'm thinking the 5i would be plenty but I like the specs of the 300, but not sure if it would be too much for my room size.

Can anyone please make a recommendation or input their experience on either sub. Greatly appreciated!

thanks!
post #3324 of 5504
Just a general question to all PSB owners.
I read thru some of the posts on this thread, but did not find an exact answer.

What's the major difference between the Image and Imagine series speakers?
Seems the description of drivers are about the same, only thing I see is the enclosure and difference in Ohm rating. Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry if it's already been posted.
Also, is the GB1 a major step up in quality from image series?

TIA.....
post #3325 of 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLo View Post
Just a general question to all PSB owners.
I read thru some of the posts on this thread, but did not find an exact answer.

What's the major difference between the Image and Imagine series speakers?
Seems the description of drivers are about the same, only thing I see is the enclosure and difference in Ohm rating. Can someone please explain this to me? Sorry if it's already been posted.
Also, is the GB1 a major step up in quality from image series?

TIA.....
In my personal subjective opinion, the drivers are almost identical. Tweeter is exactly the same, and woofers differ in minor details. The differences are:

1. The shape of the box
2. The expensive wood veners
3. Probably better components in cross over filter.
post #3326 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by srtek View Post

I'm in a situation in a new house (and not likely to buy another) where I'm going to have to install all of my speakers for a 5.1 surround sound system in my ceiling... I do have a very good location for a subwoofer on my floor. I would like to use the PSB CW180S for all 5 of my speakers (I'm always open to suggestions), but I'm very reluctant to install them without a well-constructed enclosure on the attic side to protect the speakers, reduce bleed to other areas of my house, and hopefully to get a bit more base out of my speakers. To my knowledge, PSB doesn't sell enclosures for this speaker (please tell me if I'm wrong). So, can anyone tell me how best to construct an enclosure that would work well with this particular speaker?

Note that I have owned what I consider to be some of the best speakers ever made... a pair of Stratus Silver towers, a pair of Stratus Minis, and a Stratus C6i Center Channel speaker (I've never gotten around to buying a subwoofer). Unfortunately the room in which I'm installing in-ceiling speakers is not a good choice for either floor or wall speakers.

Any information you could provide to me would be very much appreciated...


The CW180S in-Wall Speakers are nice. And you can aim the tweeter toward your listening position so that will come in handy if you instal all of them in the ceiling. PSB did at one time sell a backbox enclosure, I am not sure how readily available they are now though. Phone PSB or your Dealer.
post #3327 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike139usa View Post

Owner of T65/C60/and S5 surrounds. I have a NAD T775 receiver, so this is my setup. BTW, I LOVE MY PSBs. Not even looking to upgrade and they are almost 10 years old.

I need a new SUB and I'm looking at the SS5i or SS300. Room size is approx 12 X 15.

I'm thinking the 5i would be plenty but I like the specs of the 300, but not sure if it would be too much for my room size.

Can anyone please make a recommendation or input their experience on either sub. Greatly appreciated!

thanks!


For the money the PSB SubSeries 5i Subwoofer is a great unit. I would get the 5i you can get a deal since it is older. If you can't get a good deal on the 5i buy the SubSeries 300 Subwoofer

I have owned the 5i in the past and think it is a great Subwoofer for the money
post #3328 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLo View Post

Also, is the GB1 a major step up in quality from image series?

TIA.....

I would rather get the new Image T6 tower speakers then the GDesign GT1 Tower Speakers

But If it was between the older Image Models say the IImage T55 Tower speakers and the GDesign GT1 Tower Speakers I would get the GT1s
post #3329 of 5504
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Master BIC View Post

Right but I'm talking about the price PSB charges the retailer, in Canada in Canadian dollars. I did say I wasn't talking about MSRP, I was talking about retailer cost!

Ya that does kind of suck. But that might just be the case in Canada. Lenbrook Canada sets Dealer costs not PSB Speakers.
post #3330 of 5504
Thanks Dima333a for your response.
Same drivers between both lines, different crossover and enclosure, double the price - - double the performance? Anyone compare the two?
Thanks firebook23, sorry I wasn't more specific, was looking into bookshelf setup, but definately like those t6 towers. B6 bookshelf vs. GB1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › PSB Speakers Owners thread