or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › PSB Speakers Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSB Speakers Owners thread - Page 142

post #4231 of 5490
I ended up doing some more research last night and decided to order the APC G5blk. It was $130 shipped from Vanns. It does have both over and under voltage protection that is user selectable. This review from user jvgillow on here was very helpful:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/v-interconnects-cables-power-conditioning/59514-apc-g5.html#post674475

I was sold on the Panamax until I spoke to my buddy in the business who recommended the APC products. He was in product development and home integration for a nationwide AV company and knows more about the engineering of these products than I ever will. I still think the Panamax is a very good product.

The APC is lacking the coax protection of the Panamax, but I run my network equipment off a different power strip from a different outlet than my AV. I ordered a separate APC strip with coax protection for my network gear, it will cover the coax lead going to the TV. I purchased an APC strip for this so everything going into the TV would be under the same company's insurance protection.

APC also has a 20 amp model (apc g50b-20a2) for ~$200 that has some more features, but the circuits in my house are only 15 amp so I figured it wouldn't make a difference. One of the cool features in the 20 amp model is a master device trigger, it senses a draw from a device plugged into the master outlet and switches the other outlets on and off accordingly.
Edited by BroncoAZ - 2/25/13 at 10:01am
post #4232 of 5490
I use APC UPSs on all out computer stations at home. I was not aware they made AV power management equipment.
post #4233 of 5490
You should never use any kind of UPS or 'conditioning', other than simple surge protection, on high current devices, like power amps and AVRs. They won't hurt anything with low current devices, but with high current devices can cause problems. Amp manufacturers from Bryston to Yamaha universally recommend plugging directly into the wall outlet.
post #4234 of 5490
Hello everyone this is my first posting on AVS but by no means am I new here I've been lurking around for many many years and have made good use to the search feature and just been entertained through the years! you all are a great bunch of folks.

I decided to do a little experiment and for once I couldn't find what I was looking for in the search tool.
I basically have 3 options to my problem.

Here's my little problem:
I have a PSB HT system I bought years back my front's are the Century 600i and I have a Alpha series center w/ Alpha rears with a subsonic image 6, I'm powering it with a Harmon Kardon avr 235 (i'll be upgrading that his summer)

I just upgraded to a 70 inch display and the center isn't cutting it, when there's dialog I can isolate where the sound is coming from and it's not filling my senses smile.gif it was fine for my 42 inch but not my new set.
so here's what I'm thinking.

Option 1: buy a larger older PSB center to match the towers in sound. or buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one

Option 2: buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one to buy because I'm afraid the sound would be different than the towers.

Option 3: please don't be afraid to tell me I've gone off the deep end.
I like to tinker with equipment and this sounds like it's worth experimenting with
I want to take my Alpha center and surrounds, wire them so that they would be my center this would basically a large center, I would lay the surrounds on their sides so the configuration would be 3 tweets and 4 drivers.
I then could buy some new PSB's surrounds and not worry too much about matching sound.


If you guys have other suggestions I didn't think about please feel free to comment.

I would rather not spend anymore money than I need to since I'm saving up for a new a/v receiver.

Thanks for reading
Bobby
post #4235 of 5490
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthebite View Post

Hello everyone this is my first posting on AVS but by no means am I new here I've been lurking around for many many years and have made good use to the search feature and just been entertained through the years! you all are a great bunch of folks.

I decided to do a little experiment and for once I couldn't find what I was looking for in the search tool.
I basically have 3 options to my problem.

Here's my little problem:
I have a PSB HT system I bought years back my front's are the Century 600i and I have a Alpha series center w/ Alpha rears with a subsonic image 6, I'm powering it with a Harmon Kardon avr 235 (i'll be upgrading that his summer)

I just upgraded to a 70 inch display and the center isn't cutting it, when there's dialog I can isolate where the sound is coming from and it's not filling my senses smile.gif it was fine for my 42 inch but not my new set.
so here's what I'm thinking.

Option 1: buy a larger older PSB center to match the towers in sound. or buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one

Option 2: buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one to buy because I'm afraid the sound would be different than the towers.

Option 3: please don't be afraid to tell me I've gone off the deep end.
I like to tinker with equipment and this sounds like it's worth experimenting with
I want to take my Alpha center and surrounds, wire them so that they would be my center this would basically a large center, I would lay the surrounds on their sides so the configuration would be 3 tweets and 4 drivers.
I then could buy some new PSB's surrounds and not worry too much about matching sound.


If you guys have other suggestions I didn't think about please feel free to comment.

I would rather not spend anymore money than I need to since I'm saving up for a new a/v receiver.

Thanks for reading
Bobby

Here is really is no match for the PSB Century 600i's. Perhaps a Image Centre would be of more use, and sound a little better.
I am not sure about putting all those speakers together for the centre channel. That will up the Impedance on that channel, I dought that will be able to be driven by any amplifier off one center surround channel.

-k
post #4236 of 5490
Can someone tell me the exact dimensions of speaker BOXES (not the speakers) for:
Image T6, C5 and B5.
I'm just wondering if 5 speakers in boxes will fit in my car.

Thanks.
post #4237 of 5490
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagreg View Post

Can someone tell me the exact dimensions of speaker BOXES (not the speakers) for:
Image T6, C5 and B5.
I'm just wondering if 5 speakers in boxes will fit in my car.

Thanks.
I am not 100% on the actual size. but when I brought home my T6's centre and surrounds I got them in my SUV. But not much room to spare.
post #4238 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagreg View Post

Can someone tell me the exact dimensions of speaker BOXES (not the speakers) for:
Image T6, C5 and B5.
I'm just wondering if 5 speakers in boxes will fit in my car.

Thanks.


T6 - 46-1/4" X 19-3/4" X 12-3/4"
C5 - 23" X 14" X 10-1/4"
B5 - 18-1/4" X 15-1/2" X 13" (The B5's have both speakers in one box)

All dimensions rounded up to nearest 1/4"
post #4239 of 5490
Thank you very much
Can I transport the towers horizontally?
post #4240 of 5490
I'm sure you can. That's what I did when I bought mine over 2 years ago and have had no problems. The deaer even loaded them into the car for me that way.
post #4241 of 5490
The packaging on my new Imagine set was excellent, the speakers were wrapped in a soft fabric like material, then a plastic bag, and solidly fitted in foam with two outer layers of cardboard. I think you could load and transport them any way you wanted and they would be fine.
post #4242 of 5490
OK good to know
Thanks
post #4243 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthebite View Post


Here's my little problem:
I have a PSB HT system I bought years back my front's are the Century 600i and I have a Alpha series center w/ Alpha rears with a subsonic image 6, I'm powering it with a Harmon Kardon avr 235 (i'll be upgrading that his summer)

I just upgraded to a 70 inch display and the center isn't cutting it, when there's dialog I can isolate where the sound is coming from and it's not filling my senses smile.gif it was fine for my 42 inch but not my new set.
so here's what I'm thinking.

Option 1: buy a larger older PSB center to match the towers in sound. or buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one

Option 2: buy a new PSB center but I wouldn't know which one to buy because I'm afraid the sound would be different than the towers.

Option 3: please don't be afraid to tell me I've gone off the deep end.

Option 1. This is going to be a Century 100ci or 200ci. If you can find one.

Option 2. You could get an Image center, and the sound would be bigger but it's not timbre matched with the right/left so you will still not be happy.

I have a pair of Century 500i speakers that I love for music. I also have the original Image line from 2002 for home theater. They sound different. The Image line is brighter and designed more for HT, the Century has a more subdued sound. I don't think it'd solve your problem.

I would probably try option 1... it might take you a while to find one, otherwise I'd probably seek out new speakers(or used different ones, used Image towers are around $300-500, the center around $100-200, and your Alpha's would probably still be fine for rears).
post #4244 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodablue View Post

Option 1. This is going to be a Century 100ci or 200ci. If you can find one.

Option 2. You could get an Image center, and the sound would be bigger but it's not timbre matched with the right/left so you will still not be happy.

I have a pair of Century 500i speakers that I love for music. I also have the original Image line from 2002 for home theater. They sound different. The Image line is brighter and designed more for HT, the Century has a more subdued sound. I don't think it'd solve your problem.

I would probably try option 1... it might take you a while to find one, otherwise I'd probably seek out new speakers(or used different ones, used Image towers are around $300-500, the center around $100-200, and your Alpha's would probably still be fine for rears).
Here's a shamelessly self promoting post that is geared towards the OP from feelthebite. I have a PSB Stratus C-5 center in good working condition that I wish to get rid of for cheap. It's a definite step up quality wise from what he's currently using. PM me if interested.
Edited by Torqdog - 2/28/13 at 6:03pm
post #4245 of 5490
Any recommendations for local dealers that will ship or online retailers? My only PSB dealer in the state isn't playing ball on pricing. I'll call a couple places tomorrow and send some emails to folks in surrounding states. Any recommendations would be welcome...specifically looking for the Imagine T2s.
post #4246 of 5490
Dmc electronics. Has great prices and customer service. Give them a call for lowest prices
post #4247 of 5490
When will the Synchrony series be replaced? They have been on the market for over 5 years now, and was wandering what would replace them.
post #4248 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

Any recommendations for local dealers that will ship or online retailers? My only PSB dealer in the state isn't playing ball on pricing. I'll call a couple places tomorrow and send some emails to folks in surrounding states. Any recommendations would be welcome...specifically looking for the Imagine T2s.

There is always Crutchfield. They currently have some scratch & dent Imagine T2's for $1,487.99 (15% off). They do have free shipping and at this price a pair of T2's would earn 2,976 points. At 3,000 the points are worth 5% or $150 towards a future purchase.
post #4249 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post

When will the Synchrony series be replaced? They have been on the market for over 5 years now, and was wandering what would replace them.
I've heard there's something in the works but who knows when it might be officially revealed. Keep in mind the fact that PSB kept the flagship Stratus line going for something like 15 years. When you make an awesome product that is every bit as good as the competition, there's no need to change just for the sake of change. With the Stratus line, they did update the cabinets about midway through the Stratus lifespan but the drivers and crossovers remained unchanged. I think they also might have updated the tweeter early on from a soft dome tweet to an aluminum dome tweeter but that's it.

I've also heard that the Synchrony line might not be replaced. The new stuff might be a higher end product with a higher pricetag. It's all speculation right now but that's what I heard.
post #4250 of 5490
+1 for DMC. Ordering my PSB image speakers tomorrow and saving $350 over Crutchfield.
post #4251 of 5490
How'd you manage that? I just checked out DMC's web page and their prices seem to be the same as Crutchfield's.
post #4252 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlundy57 View Post

How'd you manage that? I just checked out DMC's web page and their prices seem to be the same as Crutchfield's.

As I posted above. Call them
post #4253 of 5490
I called them. Drop shipping to my house, great deal.
post #4254 of 5490
And thanks Brian!
post #4255 of 5490
I will give them a call thanks. I'm thinking along the lines of Imagine Minis for the office.
post #4256 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbould View Post

And thanks Brian!
My pleasure welcome to the family
post #4257 of 5490
Thanks for the tip on DMC. They called me back and left a VM. I actually found a place a bit cheaper...I may call DMC back to see if that was their bottom dollar.
post #4258 of 5490
Care to share where?
post #4259 of 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Care to share where?
At this point no, but if I buy from them, I'll ask if I can post their info and give them some business. I'm hesitant to post small business info on the internet without hteir permission. But they were easy to deal with and listed on PSB's site as an official dealer and were about 170/pair cheaper. And they're within easy driving distance. So for me it may work better, we'll see...I'll still call DMC again tomorrow because AVS thinks highly of them and that is worth something to me smile.gif
post #4260 of 5490
Need some help selecting the AVR to drive PSBs

I have nailed down the speakers for my HT setup going in for the Imagine T2s as fronts, Imagine C Center and Image B4 surrounds. I am really confused on the amp front though.

NADs sound good but seem way overpriced for the features and output they provide.

I am looking at Anthems, Integra (Onkyo high end brand) and Marantz even willing to consider separates. Pioneer Elites sounded too bright.

I prefer warm detailed sound.

Would love to get some suggestions from folks here using non-NAD AVRs or separates to drive their PSBs.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › PSB Speakers Owners thread