or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread! - Page 8

post #211 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post

does it matter if the panel is set to light or dark as far as black mode? I did mine in dark mode.

I'm not sure if the same rule of thumb applies but on my PX50U w/CableCARD, which provides a direct digital signal to the FP, the TV auto-sets the Black Level adjustment to Dark for 480i and to Light for 720p/1080i.
post #212 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

I'm not sure if the same rule of thumb applies but on my PX50U w/CableCARD, which provides a direct digital signal to the FP, the TV auto-sets the Black Level adjustment to Dark for 480i and to Light for 720p/1080i.

I'll go check that, cuz if true, that would mean my calibration is way off in HD.

So long as you pic one and calibrate from that it should be ok right? One or the other doesn't add extra informaton to the signal right?
post #213 of 7216
Hi,
picked up a Panasonic TH 37-PV60E for my dad.
Does any one know if they are are the same, then the US Versions?
BTW the named model was bought in Germany..

Best
Armin
post #214 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by frkingz View Post

I have the same problem with my TH-50px60u which is also connected to a SA 8300 using HDMI. Mine behaves exactly the same way.

Only way I found to eliminate or minimize the problem was to change the "set picture format" setting in the 8300HD settings menu to "upconvert 1" or "upconvert 2" instead of my original setting of "auto hdmi".

Almost completely eliminates the problem on mine.

I just got an SA8300 the other day and also have the delay when changing channels. I didn't see an option in the settings though for "auto hdmi". I'm currently hooked up through component though. Do you have to have it hooked up via hdmi for this option to appear?

The options I have are"fixed", "upconvert 1", "upconvert 2", and "pass through". FWIW, I tried using "fixed" after using the STB's set up wizard and had a terrible time with the aspect as well as side bars being displayed. I switched to "Pass through" which resolved it but it now has the delay between switching channels. I don't recall if I had this problem using "fixed".
post #215 of 7216
I also get this delay on the 8300 box. I am using HDMI though.

In addition to this, I am getting a loss of the connection to the TV. It goes blank for a second and then, it displays the "HDMI 1" box in the upper corner and the picture then comes back 2 seconds later. I noticed that it happens more often in HD and when recording (esp. recording HD). I have the input cable to the box coming through a power conditioner. Could this be the problem? Any suggestions?

I did try it in both HDMI ports and I get the same loss of signal, which makes me believe (and hope) that it is not the TV (or else it is both ports).
post #216 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade19 View Post

Can anyone with a 42px60u who has tried to connect it to a pc via dvi->hdmi input report their findings?
-How was the overal end result - Perfect Aspect ratio with sharp text?
-What resolution did you end up feeding the display?
-What video card did you use?

I have searched for about an hour through the two panasonic 60u/600u threads and so far have only heard one person with the 50px60u reporting very good results by connecting it to a pc via dvi-> hdmi input. Since the 42px60u has rectangular pixels, I wondering if you can achive similar results.
I am about to pull the trigger on the 42px60u and the only thing holding me back is the concern how well a pc input via dvi->hdmi will look on this display.

I have a 42px60u and am now using a DVI->HDMI setup from my Windows Media Center PC and it looks fantastic. My mobo came with a component out bracket, and I can't really tell much of a difference between DVI->HDMI and component->component connections. I'm running onboard video (Geforce 6150) and it is outputting 720p. Perfect Aspect Ratio and sharp text. I adjusted the overscan/underscan and it looks perfect. Go buy the PDP now.
post #217 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXG8OR View Post

I would say my 50px60u takes about 2 seconds also, but no blip.

2 Questions:

My 42PX60U takes 6-8 seconds I'm guessing. Is this abnormal?

When my Media Center PC records SDTV that has black bars on the top and bottom (like ER), I have the TV aspect set to Full mode, but there is still ~2" black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Zoom mode zooms in way too much. Anyone else have this problem? And yes, I do have my Media Center PC set to 16:9
post #218 of 7216
Please forgive if I have missed this, but has anyone verified the ability of the PX60/PX600 to adjust for overscan or to adjust horizontal and vertical center?
post #219 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post

I'm using the breakin DVD which is great. Big props to who ever created it.

Where can i get this break in DVD? can i download it? thanks.
post #220 of 7216
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=608677
post #221 of 7216
Overscan adjust and vertical center ??????????
post #222 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

I just got an SA8300 the other day and also have the delay when changing channels. I didn't see an option in the settings though for "auto hdmi". I'm currently hooked up through component though. Do you have to have it hooked up via hdmi for this option to appear?

The options I have are"fixed", "upconvert 1", "upconvert 2", and "pass through". FWIW, I tried using "fixed" after using the STB's set up wizard and had a terrible time with the aspect as well as side bars being displayed. I switched to "Pass through" which resolved it but it now has the delay between switching channels. I don't recall if I had this problem using "fixed".

My options under the "set: picture format" menu on the SA 8300HD are, "auto dvi/hdmi", "fixed", "upconvert 1", "upconvert 2". I have mine set to "upconvert 1" now which eliminates almost all the lag when changing channels and also have not had the problem with the HD channels failing to "lock on" or whatever the technical term is for it.

On the upconvert 1 setting all channels are either 480p or 1080i depending on the source. On upconvert 2 all channels are 480p or 720p.

My box came from adelphia and is running the SARA software, version 1.87.23.1.
post #223 of 7216
I purchased a TH-42PX60U last weekend and so far I like it a lot.
I have noticed one minor bit of strangeness and wondered if I was the only one.
I currently only have analog cable. When I switch aspect to get rid of the black bars I occasionally get a bright thin vertical line on the far left side of the screen. If I cycle thru the aspect selections (using the Aspect button on the Pany remote) the line will go away.
Not a biggy, but just curious if others have seen the same thing. I have Comcast coming on Friday to hook me up with Digital HD Service with DVR.

Rick
post #224 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faillace View Post

I have a TH-42px60u connected to a SA 8300HD PVR via the HDMI connector. Everything seems to be working fine (and I'm very impressed with the picture quality) except for a few second delay when changing channels. The picture for the new channel is displayed immediately if the original channel and the new channel are outputting the same signal format (for example 1080i to 1080i). However, when I switch to a channel outputting a different signal format (for example 480i to 1080i) the set seems to take a few seconds to lock on to the new signal and displays a blank screen until it does. On two occassions, it was never able to lock on to the new channel and I had to turn the set off and then back on again to get a display.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It's a trade between having the box do the upconverting or having a faster channel change. This is normal for 8300HD's. Unfortunatley, to speed up channel changing you have to set to box upconvert 1 or 2. Hopefully this will be fixed with future models.
post #225 of 7216
hello:

how do I connect the new pannys to a pc. what type of resolutions i can expect.
do the plasmas have same problems as lcd when it comes to non native resolutions or are they more like crt's where images do not show too much degradation in non native resolutions

thanx
post #226 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post

It's a trade between having the box do the upconverting or having a faster channel change. This is normal for 8300HD's. Unfortunatley, to speed up channel changing you have to set to box upconvert 1 or 2. Hopefully this will be fixed with future models.

I thought this was not a problem with the 8300 as its just passing the signal through but its the TV itself switching between 480i, 720p and 1080i.
post #227 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wz View Post

I thought this was not a problem with the 8300 as its just passing the signal through but its the TV itself switching between 480i, 720p and 1080i.

No, for some awfeul reason the 8300HD doesnt just do a pass through. It's trying to figure something out and delaying the signal being sent. You'd figure doing a pass through equals doing nothing and just sending the data, but the assembly writers at SA figured out a way to waste clock cycles. On the other hand w/ upconvert 1/2 they managed to speed things up. Interpolation (done correctly) is notoriously a computationally intensive task - but the 8300 screams through that processing step.

Try timing upconvert vs pass through. You'll see the difference. Whether it makes sense is another story.
post #228 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjil View Post

... do the plasmas have same problems as lcd when it comes to non native resolutions or are they more like crt's where images do not show too much degradation in non native resolutions

PDP's are just like LCD screens in that the number and positions of pixels are fixed. Non native resolutions must therefore be interpolated in both types of displays leading to the degradation you mentioned.
post #229 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post

No, for some awfeul reason the 8300HD doesnt just do a pass through. It's trying to figure something out and delaying the signal being sent. You'd figure doing a pass through equals doing nothing and just sending the data, but the assembly writers at SA figured out a way to waste clock cycles. On the other hand w/ upconvert 1/2 they managed to speed things up. Interpolation (done correctly) is notoriously a computationally intensive task - but the 8300 screams through that processing step.

Try timing upconvert vs pass through. You'll see the difference. Whether it makes sense is another story.

If you think the SA8300 has problems, try Time Warner's newest STB the Pace DC551 what a POS.
post #230 of 7216
I have the 42PX60U running with Time Warner SA8300HD set top box connected via HDMI. I also have digital optical audio cable connected to my home theater system for audio.

My question is I notice that with the STB audio configured to output via HDMI, the STB sends only 2 channel PCM sound to the TV and the home theater system. If I turn off the TV while leaving the STB on, the sound to my Home theater system reverts to Dolby Digital 5.1 (on applicable broadcasts).

Alternatively, I can configure the STB audio to Dolby Digital, but then the sound goes only to the Home Theater system (no sound to TV).

My understanding is the 8300HD STB is supposed to send the digital signal via HDMI if the TV can handle Dolby Digital. If not, then the signal reverts to 2 channel (as it is doing with me). My question then is why does the STB not recognize that the Panny CAN handle the 5.1 signal? (I did not have this issue with a Philips TV I just returned for the Panny).

Anybody with this setup notice the same thing?
post #231 of 7216
When using a calibration disk like Avia, do you put the Black Level setting on light or dark?
post #232 of 7216
I am having definite overscan issues - Playing anamorphic 1.85 DVDs on my 37px60u I am getting no black bars on the top or bottom of the screen. I am running component out of a panasonic DVD-S35 set to 16x9 with the DVD on "Full" mode. Aren't the bars at least supposed to be somewhat visible as the ratios are not 100% equal? Or is it an acceptable degree of overscan to have the 1.85 image overlap completely on the 16:9 screen? Any suggestions?
post #233 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1122 View Post

i've some some bad news about my 42px60u. it seems there is a defect. this is regarding off the air broadcast in the l.a. area. when watching OTA intermittently (maybe once or twice over 6 hours) and sometimes much more often, certain channels like 4.1 or 9.1 or 13.1 when tuned into will say poor signal quality with a blank screen. when i check signal strength on the channel it reads 80% + depending. the only way to resolve this is to rescan channels, forcing me to readd favorites and redo the channel list. i'm at a loss to explain why this is happening. the other two digital tv's in my house do not have this problem. also, analog seems unaffected, only digital stations. i'm on my 2nd week of purchase and am now considering a return or exchange.

I had the same problem. I would get the poor signal quality screen on a couple channels repeatedly even though the signal meter showed a better signal for them than other channels I was receiving. I exchanged the TV at BB and haven't had the problem since. Last night I was watching OTA channels and a couple had horrible signal quality, but unless it was 0% I would at least see something. Hopefully this one will continue to work.
post #234 of 7216
thank you danny25 for confirming you had a same problem. i have adjusted my outdoor antenna a little and haven't noticed the problem since then (about a day now) but i will be monitoring channel drops for a possible exchange. one thing i have done is after the scan add all the channels i watch to favorites and then switch on favorites only for channel scan. this may have had an effect. i will report back later.
post #235 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by assJack1 View Post

No, for some awfeul reason the 8300HD doesnt just do a pass through.


Are you sure about that? You can setup the 8300HD to run in "pass through" mode through the menu/settings screen. I see no delay at all when flipping between 480i SD shows and 1080i/720p HD shows on my NEC - it is actually instantaneous. I really think this is a delay issue internally with the panel and not the 8300.
post #236 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrato View Post

In addition what have people found works best with Comcast DVR and a Panasonic 50PX60U for the 4:3 Override setting: Off, 480i, 480p, Stretch?

If set to off, the 4 x 3 picture is shown as 4 x 3 (with side bars). But passed by the box as 1080i (adds nothing to picture quality -- in fact, may make it worse). You will likely not be able to use your TVs stretch modes.

If set to 480i: the picture is shown as 480i (via the set top box), and you can use your TVs stretch modes.

If set to 480p: the picture is shown as 480p (converted by the set top box), and you can use your TVs stretch modes.

If set to stretch: the cable box does the stretching (you probably won't be able to use your own TVs stretch modes).

---------

Accordingly, I would use either 480i or 480p (depending on which gives you the best picture -- probably 480p). Either of these modes will allow you to use your TVs stretch settings (which are better than the set top boxes single stretch mode). And will allow you to view 4 x 3 material either as it was originally intended (or stretched to your preference via the TV's own stretch modes).

Thus, since 480i or 480p allow the user to maintain the most control (over both picture quality and stretch modes) -- they are the best settings.

Note that this has NOTHING to do with high definition channels. This setting only matters to non- High Definition channels.
post #237 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony17 View Post

Are you sure about that? You can setup the 8300HD to run in "pass through" mode through the menu/settings screen. I see no delay at all when flipping between 480i SD shows and 1080i/720p HD shows on my NEC - it is actually instantaneous. I really think this is a delay issue internally with the panel and not the 8300.

I'm starting to also think it may be the panel. After getting the delay with pass through, I tried upconvert 1 and 2 but still have the delay. It takes only a slighty less time than when using pass through.
post #238 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippiks27 View Post

I am having definite overscan issues - Playing anamorphic 1.85 DVDs on my 37px60u I am getting no black bars on the top or bottom of the screen. I am running component out of a panasonic DVD-S35 set to 16x9 with the DVD on "Full" mode. Aren't the bars at least supposed to be somewhat visible as the ratios are not 100% equal?

Which DVDs are you viewing? There are several studios that slightly crop 1.85:1 video on their DVDs and actually display it at 16:9.
post #239 of 7216
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongered View Post

I have the 42PX60U running with Time Warner SA8300HD set top box connected via HDMI. I also have digital optical audio cable connected to my home theater system for audio.

My question is I notice that with the STB audio configured to output via HDMI, the STB sends only 2 channel PCM sound to the TV and the home theater system. If I turn off the TV while leaving the STB on, the sound to my Home theater system reverts to Dolby Digital 5.1 (on applicable broadcasts).

Alternatively, I can configure the STB audio to Dolby Digital, but then the sound goes only to the Home Theater system (no sound to TV).

My understanding is the 8300HD STB is supposed to send the digital signal via HDMI if the TV can handle Dolby Digital. If not, then the signal reverts to 2 channel (as it is doing with me). My question then is why does the STB not recognize that the Panny CAN handle the 5.1 signal? (I did not have this issue with a Philips TV I just returned for the Panny).

Anybody with this setup notice the same thing?

I don't think the panny can handle 5.1 through it's own speakers, essentially this is what you are trying to do. It will not pass the digital signal through the HDMI to the digital output. The digital output that is on the panny set is only outputting digital audio from the rear coax input (ie. cable or OTA antenna input). So, what you should do is run the hdmi from you STB to the panny and also run a toslink or coax audio from the STB to your receiver. This gives a great digital video signal to the TV (which you want) and a great digital audio signal to the receiver.
post #240 of 7216
Weird issue cropping up...

I'm find that when I boot up PlayStation2, I get vertical black bars on the right and left sides of the screen. My PS2 is set to 16:9 mode in the settings and connected via component via Component 1 on the back of the 37PX60U.

No matter what I do to play with the aspect ratio of the TV, I still get the vertical black bars. Even if I switch the TV to 4:3, I'll get my dark 4:3 bars and the black bars within that! It's like the PS2 or the TV isn't fully stretching the signal. Anybody know what's up? I wish there was a menu to adjust this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic PX60/600 Tweaking, Settings, Issues, Technical Thread!