or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion - Page 37

post #1081 of 1295
I check the voltage to the TV.... it is good.....

I don't know what it is....... I am ready to trash it... Philips Service Contract sucks... they don't cover intermittent problems, nor will they even look at a video tape of the problem, since I cant have the serviceman out to watch TV all day..I guess I am stuck with the problem.

I don't know what to do....
post #1082 of 1295
Repair man said it was the computer board.
post #1083 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by snm View Post

Repair man said it was the computer board.

Is it worth repairing?
post #1084 of 1295
I broke down and bought a new 42" Plasma, but I am still working with the warranty company to fix this problem.

What was the cost of the new computer board.
post #1085 of 1295
SNM, Did it solve your problem by replacing the computer board?
post #1086 of 1295
Came across this thread during a cursory search for a lamp for an 50hm67 Toshiba

This set belongs to the in-laws who called and said "the TV blew up"..it made a popping sound, i pulled the lamp housing and the bulb is in 100's of pieces. I spoke with a local repair guy who said just buy a new one online, its cheaper.
So in my search i end up here:

i need part number Y67-LMP, IS the a "best" place to find a good price?

I have also seen references to some sort of status page on the set that indicates lamp hours and such. How do i get there, i am assuming i cannot see this until the lamp is replaced. THEN how do i reset the hours?
Thanks
post #1087 of 1295
I am on bulb 4. Currently my lamp hours are at 5,314 and my on/off count is 1,373. What seems to be the issue? I'm not even averaging 2,000 hours a lamp.
post #1088 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFXtreme3 View Post

I am on bulb 4. Currently my lamp hours are at 5,314 and my on/off count is 1,373. What seems to be the issue? I'm not even averaging 2,000 hours a lamp.

First make sure you're getting clean power. Do you have frequent surges, brown-outs, or black-outs? You may consider a power conditioner or UPS.

If it's not that, I'd blame the ballast.

If it's not that, it could be your power supply.

This could turn out to be a lot of tail chasing if you're not careful.
post #1089 of 1295
did you consider asking Toshiba this question when the first bulb went out at less than 2000 hours, or the second went out at less than 4000? I think if you pushed it to the right level, you could have gotten them to give you a bulb...or even fix the TV under warranty, as it sounds like somethings not right...
post #1090 of 1295
Well looks like my bulb might not make the 3 year mark (1 month shy). I was sitting here with the TV on when the lamp went off and I got the yellow blinking light.

I've noticed in the last few weeks times when it has a very slight light to dark flicker, almost not noticeable.

Guess I better see who offers the best deal on an OEM Y67-LMP???

Oh:
power on time - 4022
lamp time 5785
lamp on/off 4705
post #1091 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

First make sure you're getting clean power. Do you have frequent surges, brown-outs, or black-outs? You may consider a power conditioner or UPS.

If it's not that, I'd blame the ballast.

If it's not that, it could be your power supply.

This could turn out to be a lot of tail chasing if you're not careful.

I do not have many surges, brown-outs, or black-outs in my area. How would I go about finding out if it is the ballast or power supply? This TV is pretty old and I'm considering just getting a new TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 View Post

did you consider asking Toshiba this question when the first bulb went out at less than 2000 hours, or the second went out at less than 4000? I think if you pushed it to the right level, you could have gotten them to give you a bulb...or even fix the TV under warranty, as it sounds like somethings not right...

I did not realize at the time I was not getting the appropriate time out of the bulbs. My wife and I use the TV quite a bit, but I didn't know how to check lamp times until I got fed up with the 3rd bulb burning out. Each bulb lasts us about 8 months.
post #1092 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFXtreme3 View Post

...How would I go about finding out if it is the ballast or power supply?...

Unfortunately, it may end up being trial and error. For instance, you could use a tester to see if the ballast is outputting the correct amount of juice (off-hand, I don't know what the spec is, but I'm sure it can be found in a Service Manual). Even then, it's possible replacing the ballast may not solve the problem if the power supply is causing it [ballast] to fail prematurely. So you may truly have a bad ballast, but it's going bad as a result of a bad power supply.

Your better option is to call out a service tech. However, "short lamp lifespan" may not be specific enough for the tech to sort out your problem, but he could probably at least determine what is NOT your problem. However, it's a hard pill to swallow to pay someone to come out and tell you nothing is wrong. Then again, he may immediately find your problem, but the repair may not be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFXtreme3 View Post

...This TV is pretty old and I'm considering just getting a new TV...

This may be the better choice of all. You may consider putting this set in a lesser used room and reserve as backup, or you may try selling it to recoup your replacement cost.
post #1093 of 1295
Thanks for the information. My "new" bulb is now flickering. It doesn't seem to be the bulb. How much would a new ballast and/or power supply run me?
post #1094 of 1295
I saw in another thread where someone said setting "quick restart" to on will give you longer lamp life. I assumed the opposite to be true. Can anyone shed some light on this?
post #1095 of 1295
Need to order new bulb for my 56hm66 it says bulb is y66lmp but just reading it seems that they have changed that to y67. is that to correct bulb issues and just making sure if i drop the money on the y67 i am getting the right thing. thanks
post #1096 of 1295
Y67 is the replacement to the Y66. It'll work fine. Just make sure you go with a true Toshiba lamp.
post #1097 of 1295
Replaced the dead lamp with the Y67 this weekend. I swear this is brighter than the day I brought it home.

Got out Finding Nemo DVD to calibrate color/brightness.
post #1098 of 1295
thanks bob- i ordered 67 right from toshiba(didnt want to take a chance on a unknown company). ordered it w/ standard mail and arrived 2 days later- hopefully not to hard to change and i can watch my Yankees on HD tonight
post #1099 of 1295
service menu instructions start on post #738:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=#post9575373

is there a way to reset the lamp hours?
post #1100 of 1295
I managed to get this 50HM67 into the service menu.
but now i can get it to turn off with either the remote or the power button on the side of the set. I managed to press a couple buttons on the remote prior to trying to turn it off. Can i just unplug it?
post #1101 of 1295
I have had a Toshiba 56hm66 for just over 3 years now. I have never had to replace the bulb. I turned the set on today and there were vertical lines from top to bottom across the entire picture. The lines were kind of fuzzy and were about 3/4" wide and maybe 3-4 inches apart. All of the inputs had them.

I unplugged the TV, then plugged it back in, turned the set on, and the lines went away. I wish this was the bulb but it does not sound like it and I can not believe this was a one time occurrence.

Does this sound like a light engine, ballast, or just wait till it happens again? How do you do a factory reset in case this happens again?
post #1102 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeeM View Post

I have had a Toshiba 56hm66 for just over 3 years now. I have never had to replace the bulb. I turned the set on today and there were vertical lines from top to bottom across the entire picture. The lines were kind of fuzzy and were about 3/4" wide and maybe 3-4 inches apart. All of the inputs had them.

I unplugged the TV, then plugged it back in, turned the set on, and the lines went away. I wish this was the bulb but it does not sound like it and I can not believe this was a one time occurrence.

Does this sound like a light engine, ballast, or just wait till it happens again? How do you do a factory reset in case this happens again?

While it may be hard to swallow, it very well may be a "one time occurrence". If you're like me, you'll compulsively look for it to happen everytime you turn on the set. Unless it happens again, you can probably chalk it up as a fluke or hiccup experienced on most computer-like devices. Unplugging it was the correct thing to do. You essentially "rebooted" it.

Interestingly, I had a similar experience on my old Samsung HLN617W. It never happened again:
post #1103 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

While it may be hard to swallow, it very well may be a "one time occurrence". If you're like me, you'll compulsively look for it to happen everytime you turn on the set. Unless it happens again, you can probably chalk it up as a fluke or hiccup experienced on most computer-like devices. Unplugging it was the correct thing to do. You essentially "rebooted" it.

Interestingly, I had a similar experience on my old Samsung HLN617W. It never happened again:

Thanks for your quick response ... I did not expect any in this slow thread so I posted a new thread. Other than unplugging, is there an official way to reboot or reset to factory default? I am also compulsive about such things and will cringe each time I turn the set on. If it keeps happening I suppose it would be the light engine?
post #1104 of 1295
just wanted to post in here and say the site is great. came across this looking for info on my 56hm66 since i recently got a ps3 and it wasnt working when i hooked it up to the tv. im going to try hooking it up and tuning to the hdmi channel before turning it on to the HDCP can recognize it.

also, i am still on the original bulb from when i purchased this tv on black friday 2006. going to check the hours when i get home tonight since i was unaware that you could do this but i think i watch a lot of tv so i wouldnt be suprised if its around 15-20k hours. however, i have noticed dimming and flickering lately and figured it was getting ready to die on me so im just going to get an OEM now since it sounds like teh after markets are a risk.

thanks again for all the info and a thread for just one tv of millions. will update the hours info when i get it and hopefully wont have any problems getting the ps3 to work.

edit: does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to get a replacement bulb. i would obviously like to find the lowest priced OEM i can that also has a warranty. best is see is off market is probably around $120 while OEM's are about $189. thanks
post #1105 of 1295
as with most people, i have over estimated how much i figured i used the tv. power on time 6423, lamp on time 8385, lamp on/off count 1508. still pretty goo the original lamp is going thought after over 3 years.
post #1106 of 1295
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost the function of hdmi...... Use channel surf to go to hdmi 1 hdmi 2 just black screen when i switch from 1 to 2 with volume up i can hear a click but thats it is there a re set or sumthin im jonesin for my 1080
post #1107 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly88 View Post

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lost the function of hdmi...... Use channel surf to go to hdmi 1 hdmi 2 just black screen when i switch from 1 to 2 with volume up i can hear a click but thats it is there a re set or sumthin im jonesin for my 1080

tried unplugging the tv 4, 1/2 hour did the rest mode i reset the dish receiver hellllllllllllllllllppppppppp
post #1108 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprtswiz1 View Post

just wanted to post in here and say the site is great. came across this looking for info on my 56hm66 since i recently got a ps3 and it wasnt working when i hooked it up to the tv. im going to try hooking it up and tuning to the hdmi channel before turning it on to the HDCP can recognize it.

also, i am still on the original bulb from when i purchased this tv on black friday 2006. going to check the hours when i get home tonight since i was unaware that you could do this but i think i watch a lot of tv so i wouldnt be suprised if its around 15-20k hours. however, i have noticed dimming and flickering lately and figured it was getting ready to die on me so im just going to get an OEM now since it sounds like teh after markets are a risk.

thanks again for all the info and a thread for just one tv of millions. will update the hours info when i get it and hopefully wont have any problems getting the ps3 to work.

edit: does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to get a replacement bulb. i would obviously like to find the lowest priced OEM i can that also has a warranty. best is see is off market is probably around $120 while OEM's are about $189. thanks

I also bought on black friday 2006, and need to check bulb life...it did seem a little dimmer, so I changed the setting from LOW to HIGH a couple months ago...Based on what I have read, I think I will pay the extra ~$60 for the OEM bulb, rather than after market. That being said, always looking to save a buck, and I wouldn't think Toshiba actually makes the bulb...It is likely actually made by Sylvania, Philips or some other major company. Does anyone know the REAL part number (or have experience doing what I propose) , not Toshiba's version, as maybe ordering the same bulb from other source under its manufacturer's part number would be cheaper?
post #1109 of 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprtswiz1 View Post

i am still on the original bulb from when i purchased this tv on black friday 2006. however, i have noticed dimming and flickering lately and figured it was getting ready to die on me so im just going to get an OEM now since it sounds like teh after markets are a risk.

I also got my 56hm66 on Black Friday 2006 for $1200. I have not spent one nickel on it since ... thus "knock on wood" could not be happier with my investment. I have since bought 42" and 37" 1080p LCDs however the 56" remains the anchor of my home theater system.

I have also seen an occasional flickering along with a gradual dimming. However rather than turning the lamp to high mode, I have managed by tweaking the brightness. I think the reason I have gotten 38 months out of the original bulb is that since Day One I have left the lamp set to low power mode.

I have also thought about buyiing a bulb ahead of time, however when you read these DLP threads with all the lamp engine and ballast issues, there is no way I am going to be proactive and buy a bulb until I actually have to because of how many other major things can go wrong. When I do buy a bulb it will be OEM approx. $180.

Hard not to start thinking what the replacement TV will be some day as DLPs seem to be ticking time bombs and with the price of LCDs coming down so fast.
post #1110 of 1295
I have two OTA channels with no audio. Other channels have audio just fine. If I hook my antenna into my satellite receiver, these channels have audio just fine. I don't think there is a firmware update for this TV, at least I can't find one. I would prefer to have my antenna coax plugged directly into ANT 1 and not go through my satellite receiver so if anyone knows a solution to this issue that would be great.

Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Toshiba 50HM66, 56HM66 Discussion