Originally Posted by jaxxson
I have been impressed with the Toshiba DLPs for a couple years now and have waited to pull the trigger. I really like the 50hm66 (finally got rid of those big speakers on the side) but have a couple questions for anyone who can help.
1) How bad is the fan noise?? Is it very audible while the TV is on? I will not be using a cable card and we have a fairly small room. The 50" is about as big as we can go.
2) I saw that a few people said the TV looks really good with the 480p on DVD. Isn't the TV supposed to be 720?? Does this have more to do with the DVD player than the set? (Excuse my ignorance with this)
3) I have also been looking at the Tosh 50hp66 (Plasma) but like the look of the DLP slightly better. (I compare the plasma to a glossy look and the DLP to more of matte finish). Is one considered a better investment than the other??
Thanks in advance for your time. I have been doing so much research and I am finally ready to buy just need to try and clear up a few things for myself.
Does anyone have another recommendation to compare the Tosh 50hm66 to?? Any 1080's with as bright and clear pic??
1) I've never noticed the fan when watching TV. Only when it's off and I go close to the TV do I notice it.
2) 720p is the resolution that the TV displays HD in. Also, if you have a DVD player that upconverts a 480p signal to 720p the TV displays it at 720p.
3) I don't know about whether one is a better investment than the other. Never looked at it that way. The different technologies are a matter of taste, I guess.
4) Samsung makes a nice TV and the new Mitsubishi's are getting good reviews, but they don't make a 50" model.