or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Just picked up a new Panny DMR-ES15 at BB!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just picked up a new Panny DMR-ES15 at BB! - Page 5

post #121 of 280
There is a way to get the firmware version on the 2005 and earlier Panasonics but that doesn't seem to be very helpful since it appears to be a very high level version number.
post #122 of 280
Darn, you guys have me all excited about the es15...I have an es20 that just came in from Amazon last week and now it looks like I'll just ship it back for a refund and get the es15 instead...sure wish the DL discs would come down in price!

I'd order it from CC for $155 right now but they only have silver and all my components are black, sigh.
post #123 of 280
Quote:


Darn, you guys have me all excited about the es15

This forum has that effect on people. Panasonic owes us for promoting their product. I think a $50 rebate sounds fair.
Quote:


Amazon last week and now it looks like I'll just ship it back for a refund and get the es15 instead...sure wish the DL discs would come down in price!

Do it man, you won't regret it. While the es20 is an excellent recorder, the es15 is that and much more. DL discs will come down. My prediction is about 50 cents each by this fall or less, but they are getting more affordable if purchased in bulk.

Quote:


I'd order it from CC for $155 right now but they only have silver and all my components are black, sigh.

To bad were not living in the 90s. Back then, black was dominant and silver was rare. I remember buying my ProScan DVD player in 1999, and I thought it was so cool because it was silver/grey. It was $259 which was considered cheap back then. I still have it and it's my preferred DVD player because the layer switch never gets noticed on it when watching movies (flawless).
post #124 of 280
I had a Samsung R-130 and decided to take it back and get the ES15, so far I love it, but one thing I can't get it to do which I thought it would, is to save the spot where I left off on a dvd (I mean it will the one that is in the tray unless I eject it) but from what I read on the net (I think I was on the panasonic canadian website though) it says about remembering the spot for up to 5 dvd's.

I am constantly changing dvd's from kids movies to others and I hate losing my spot. Are your all's just saving the one dvd spot?

Thanks
post #125 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaCakaJR View Post

I had a Samsung R-130 and decided to take it back and get the ES15, so far I love it, but one thing I can't get it to do which I thought it would, is to save the spot where I left off on a dvd (I mean it will the one that is in the tray unless I eject it) but from what I read on the net (I think I was on the panasonic canadian website though) it says about remembering the spot for up to 5 dvd's.

I am constantly changing dvd's from kids movies to others and I hate losing my spot. Are your all's just saving the one dvd spot?

Thanks

I do not have the Panasonic but I noticed something similar with my Pioneer burned DVDs. The Pioneer always burns the same DVD volume name on every DVD. I thought it would take the Title I put in for the DVD Menu and use that but it does not. So consequently the DVD player cannot tell the difference between the DVDs.

I first noticed this on PowerDVD when it asked me if I wanted to resume playback on a DVD I had never used before.

Maybe the same on the Panny.
post #126 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy View Post

I do not have the Panasonic but I noticed something similar with my Pioneer burned DVDs. The Pioneer always burns the same DVD volume name on every DVD. I thought it would take the Title I put in for the DVD Menu and use that but it does not. So consequently the DVD player cannot tell the difference between the DVDs.

I first noticed this on PowerDVD when it asked me if I wanted to resume playback on a DVD I had never used before.

Maybe the same on the Panny.

No these volumes are different (they are backups of movies that I made on my PC). Good thought though, I can see how that could be a problem though!
post #127 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaCakaJR View Post

I am constantly changing dvd's from kids movies to others and I hate losing my spot. Are your all's just saving the one dvd spot?

I'm surprised to hear that, my cheapo $60 Panasonic s27 player lets you "mark" a spot on the DVD to return to later, and I think it remembers up to 10 discs at a time.
post #128 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922 View Post

I'm surprised to hear that, my cheapo $60 Panasonic s27 player lets you "mark" a spot on the DVD to return to later, and I think it remembers up to 10 discs at a time.

Exactly!! my old pioneer ($69 walmart) from like 2 years ago has a "resume" mode for 5 or so discs too.

Here's the cut and paste from panasonic.ca :

Position Memory
By memorizing a desired location and enabling playback from that location, Position Memory lets you eject a disc part way through a movie and then resume viewing from the same point later. This handy function remembers the location where viewing was interrupted for up to five discs, which is a real convenience in a family with a wide range of tastes in entertainment.
----> end of paste

Maybe the models are different in Canada vs US? I stumbled into the Canadian website when I was searching for info on the ES15 (I actually didn't even realize it wasn't the US site).
post #129 of 280
Ok, when I return my Cyberhome1600 DVR and pick up the ES15 it'sll be my 3rd DVR this week. The LiteOn was slow, and only recorded VR. The Cyberhome failed 2 out of 3 timed recordings when I tested recording and other members say it's a matter of time before it quits altogether. So now I have my eyes set on this one. The BB website lists it at Sale: $159.99 but shows $169.99 in store. I guess I'll have to order it off the web to get that price?

Thanks for the reviews it really helps when all you want to do is buy a good one and have it do it's thing without having to start a new hobby making sure you don't get a lemon

Jay
post #130 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C View Post

The BB website lists it at Sale: $159.99 but shows $169.99 in store. I guess I'll have to order it off the web to get that price?

Call your local BB to verify this but I believe you can order from the website and specify in-store pickup and get the web price.
post #131 of 280
Not much less, but Circuit City.com is selling it for $156.39.
post #132 of 280
Hi,

Just received a DMR-ES15 dvd recorder purchased yesterday. I have found numerous problems with this recorder which are as follows:-

1. It will not play ANY DVD-RW or DVD+RW disk that has been created on a PC. It just states the disks are not formatted correctly. However, the disks in question play perfectly on every other player I have tried them on. Is this a known fault with panasonic dvd recorders as the recorder is practically useless if it cannot play DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks unless they are formatted on this panasonic recorder. When I copy the DVD-RW / DVD+RW content to a DVD-R / DVD+R disk then the recorder plays them but this would be a very expensive method of playing my own self authored DVD's.

2. The One Touch record facility (30,60,90 etc minute recordings) does not work at all. Once I set a recording going and subsequently press the REC button to initiate timed duration recordings, nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the screen. I have tried on all available disk formats including DVD-RAM.

3. Time slip function and manual skip (30 seconds) will only work on a DVD-RAM disk or a finalised DVD+R disk but not DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW disks despite the manual clearly stating they should work. These functions do not even work on pre-recorded DVDs which is clearly unacceptable.

4. DIVX files (AVI) put on any format of disk are unplayable as the recorder states the disks are unformatted. This was one of the reasons for purchasing the recorder in the first place.

Thanks
post #133 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiman View Post

Hi,
3. Time slip function and manual skip (30 seconds) will only work on a DVD-RAM disk or a finalised DVD+R disk but not DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW disks despite the manual clearly stating they should work. These functions do not even work on pre-recorded DVDs which is clearly unacceptable.
Thanks

Do they work on unfinalized DVDs?

On the ES20, time slip and CM-skip work on all unfinalized DVDs and DVD-RAMs (wiht a known bug), but they do not work on finalized or commercial DVDs. Not sure what the thinking behind this decision was, I guess they designed this with recorder-priority :-)

The known bug is that they dont work when you burn on a DVD for the first time unless you either open/close the tray or turn the machine off/on.
post #134 of 280
I use the one-touch recording feature without problem. Can't comment on the others.
post #135 of 280
They CM skip and time slip only works on DVD-RAM according to the panasonic support guy. The OTR failure must be a fault on my machine then as I can't believe this wasn't tested in QA.

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have comments on playing PC DVD-RW/+RW disks on this DMR-ES15. I'd say it's a necessity.....
post #136 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiman View Post


4. DIVX files (AVI) put on any format of disk are unplayable as the recorder states the disks are unformatted. This was one of the reasons for purchasing the recorder in the first place.

Thanks

I don't see any documentation that says this recorder SUPPORTS DIVX in the first place, where did you get that info?
post #137 of 280
To those who have the unit, is it suitable for converting VHS and Mini-DV camcorder tapes to DVD? I am looking for a unit that will create some sort of menu with thumbnails and picture background and let you automatically enter chapter marks every x minutes. Can the ES15 do this?
post #138 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahgee View Post

To those who have the unit, is it suitable for converting VHS and Mini-DV camcorder tapes to DVD? I am looking for a unit that will create some sort of menu with thumbnails and picture background and let you automatically enter chapter marks every x minutes. Can the ES15 do this?

It can record from VHS and Mini-DV, but I don't think you will get the kind of control of the menu creation that you are looking for. It will be a basic menu with chapters created every 5 or 8 min (depending on the format of the DVD, either +R or -R), and you cannot use a user selectable image as a background.
post #139 of 280
[quote=csiman]They CM skip and time slip only works on DVD-RAM according to the panasonic support guy.


The time slip/CM functions on my ES15 work on any sort of non-finalized disks, not just DVDRAM. I haven't tried it w/finalized or commercial DVDs.
post #140 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by csiman View Post

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have comments on playing PC DVD-RW/+RW disks on this DMR-ES15. I'd say it's a necessity.....

I've successfully played DVD-RW (VR mode) discs burned on a PC on my EH75V (latest Panny HDD model recorder) should also work on the ES15.

Panny does not support DIVX playback and has never advertised as such, so I don't know where you got the idea it would.

Based on your reported one touch recording issue and other posts refuting some of your other claims you are either the victim of: (1) a defective unit or (2) operator error.
post #141 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMask View Post

Call your local BB to verify this but I believe you can order from the website and specify in-store pickup and get the web price.

I just ordered an ES-15 on the web & picked it up at a local store for the web price. The web ad will tell you what local stores have the unit in stock & will reserve one for you.
post #142 of 280
Is it true that when recording a DL disc, the es15 stops at the end of the first layer until you hit the "finalize" button, at which point it finalizes the first layer and THEN goes on to record the second layer?

That's what "CKNA" says (post 24 and 28):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...91#post7572291

So that means that if I'm recording a long movie onto a DL disc I'll need to hit the pause button for that source until the first layer finalization is complete?

Please, please say it ain't so...
post #143 of 280
Hi. Joined this forum just to read about this exact model -- glad you're all here. I intend to buy the ES15 in a month or so and most everything I've read says it's the right choice for me.

My memory could be wrong but I think I saw DivX playback listed on the retail box. I remember gasping slightly in excitement. I can't confirm that now because our local Best Buy and Circuit City is sold out. But...

Go to the Japanese product web site to confirm DivX Playback:

panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/diga/europe/es15/specifications.html
(sorry, no links until I make 5 posts!)

Here is a quick clip out of the spec chart:

********

DivX*4 on CD, CD-R / RW, DVD-R

*4: Official DivX Certified product. Plays DivX_5, DivX_4, DivX_3, and DivX_VOD video content (in compliance with DivX Certified technical requirements).DivX, DivX Certified, and associated logos are trademarks of DivXNetworks,Inc. and are used under license.
About DivX : DivX is a popular media technology created by DivX, Inc. DivX media files contain highly compressed video with high visual quality that maintains a relatively small file size.

********

They do not put a bullet point on the UK version. Note that it claims to only work on CDs and DVD-R.

Again, I won't be able to test this myself until I purchase in a few weeks, but maybe others can try it.

Thanks for all the great info,

-Jay


[UPDATE:] Wait... uh oh. I just noticed that this is the EUROPEAN Panasonic site. Could it be the case that DivX is only for the PAL version of the ES15? And my mind was only fantasizing when I thought I saw it list on the box?
post #144 of 280
DV Input, yes. DIVX, no.
post #145 of 280
Ok, I bought an E15s yesterday from BB. All I did was printout the shopping cart page (showing ther sale price) and they did a price match to web. No fuss. As for the recorder, here are my first impresssions:

1. Why do they have to make these things so wide??? Oh well, at least it's thin.
2. Love the remote no comparison to the Cyberhome 1600.
3. I just works. Not the hit or miss or proprietary stuff with the other two I've tried.
4. LP looks fine, love the commercial skip button

Nags:
1. Auto clock was taking over 10 minutes ... too bad it won't let you specify the station. I just used manual instead
2. RF pass thru is hosing up the satellite signal (a lot of noise and barely visible picture unless the recorder is left on (need to troubleshoot this one some more). Neither of the other 2 did this.


Update: Ok, turns out both of my nags were caused by a poor RF connection. So the issues are resolved and the unit is great for my needs.

Jay
post #146 of 280
You no longer have to turn the unit off to do scheduled recordings! (That always irritated me.)
post #147 of 280
Confirmed from another BBS they've crippled the US version of the ES15 to not play DivX files. It also may contain some of that broadcast flag crap that we're going to see more and more of.

Oddly, though, the DivX compatable model I saw in-store was the DVD-S52 upconverting player at $100. This capability is listed on the little card displayed on top of the machine. Could easily be a misprint or carryover from European versions.

Kinda burns me up that DivX is in there but turned off.
post #148 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

You no longer have to turn the unit off to do scheduled recordings! (That always irritated me.)

Oh so what happens when a Timer recording approaches and the machine is turned on? What if you are playing from a DVD?
post #149 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

Oh so what happens when a Timer recording approaches and the machine is turned on? What if you are playing from a DVD?

Well, if you are playing from a DVD, then you can't have blank media in the drive to record to, can you?
post #150 of 280
The manual says that if the unit is on when the time comes for the programmed recording to start, the unit will attempt to record. I assume that if you are playing a commercial DVD, the recording will cancel.
I "test drove" this "new feature" last night & it recorded without a hitch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Just picked up a new Panny DMR-ES15 at BB!