or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by arty101 View Post

Hum, that's what I thought. I've been looking for Ram disks in local b&m, CC, CUSA, BB and nobody seems to carry them, other than by internet with Panny. Still, would a bad disk cause the player to freeze and the only workaround is to turn it off?

I honestly can't say... Try playing a commercial dvd and see if the problem happens with it...If so, then it's the unit.

If a commercial or burned dvd doesn't freeze up, then try your local Walmart for some RAM discs. They've been carrying Maxell 3 packs for $9.95 for over a year.
post #212 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by arty101 View Post

Hum, that's what I thought. I've been looking for Ram disks in local b&m, CC, CUSA, BB and nobody seems to carry them, other than by internet with Panny. Still, would a bad disk cause the player to freeze and the only workaround is to turn it off?

Panasonic itself probably has the lowest price for DVD-RAM excluding special sales. A few weeks/months ago I got a 15pk of Panasonic DVD-RAM for $20. They also have different promotions, such as free shipping and/or 10% off your first order from Panasonic Direct. I haven't checked recently so prices and offers may have changed. I think i started a thread on the 15pack a few weeks/months ago.

I haven't had any problems yet with the 15pk Panasonic DVD-RAMs, but I don't use them frequently..
post #213 of 380
I know this is a loaded ? but I have not been able to get my ES45 to record from from SA 8300 in 16:9 mode with DVD RAM.

Has anyone successfully done so? I have read that you can do so with the firewire DV input but I am looking for something over S video.

I had assumed it was all letterboxed but then I was reading in the manual about 16:9 for RAM (but then there is nothing else listed!)
thanks
post #214 of 380
Many people make the mistake of thinking that their DVD Recorder is letterboxing 16:9 material. If you are seeing letterboxing then the source is sending it that way. DVD Recorders do not add letterboxing to the input signal, only during playback if the source material is flagged as 16:9 and you have told the recorder that the display is 4:3. REPEATING: Letterboxing is never added by the recorder during recording. So if you are seeing letterboxing when just watching the signal you are trying to record, the source is outputting it as letterboxed.
post #215 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude View Post

I know this is a loaded ? but I have not been able to get my ES45 to record from from SA 8300 in 16:9 mode with DVD RAM.

Has anyone successfully done so? I have read that you can do so with the firewire DV input but I am looking for something over S video.

I had assumed it was all letterboxed but then I was reading in the manual about 16:9 for RAM (but then there is nothing else listed!)
thanks


The SA8300 only outputs 16:9 over the component or hdmi cable. The only way to avoid letterboxing over S-Video is to change the output resolution on the 8300 to SD only and then zoom the pic
post #216 of 380
Hi all,

I just recorded some video from my mini-DV camcorder to both DVD-RAM, DVD-R,DVD+R and all three copies look very very BAD. From what I see, there is no option to change the recording quality of the DVD recorder from the DV input.

The unit defaults to EP recording mode. This compression (6 hr recording time /DVD) will never produce good quality transfers.

Has anyone else experienced this. If the manual outlines how to change to another mode other EP I have missed it..... any comments?

BNW
post #217 of 380
^^ Scratches head...You mean the rec mode is set on SP or something other than EP, then, when you connect your DV camcorder to the inputs to record, the unit switches rec modes to EP, all by itself?
I don't suppose you could connect it, or maybe a dvd plater to the yellow video, red/white audio inputs, and see if the rec mode switches over when you try and record from those inputs?
Once you connect the dv camcorder to the unit, manually switch rec modes by pressing the rec mode button on the remote several times and set it again to SP.
post #218 of 380
From the manual on page 57:

≥Press [REC MODE] to select the recording mode.

Just keep pressing the REC MODE button until the mode (XP, SP, LP, etc.) you want appears.

Good luck.
post #219 of 380
Thanks guys...I read the manual too fast and did not realize that the function is on the remote and not something you see from the OSD menus.

This is why these forums have value.....

Also, the manual states that under TV setup in 16:9 aspect you can only choose btwn 480i 480P...No 720P. You can change the HDMI out out res too 720P, however, you can't select a 720P TV. Sounds self defeating to me. Again..am I missing something?

bnw
post #220 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I honestly can't say... Try playing a commercial dvd and see if the problem happens with it...If so, then it's the unit.

If a commercial or burned dvd doesn't freeze up, then try your local Walmart for some RAM discs. They've been carrying Maxell 3 packs for $9.95 for over a year.


The Panasonic player hasn't locked up on commercial dvd's so that seems to be okay for that. It's seems to be just the chase mode with Ram disks.

Now I need to either get to a Walmart or go to Panasonic's store, where their prices for first time customers seems pretty cheap (free shipping and 10% off). I just don't want to wait for the disks to ship, but I guess I have no choice. Or just accept that this recorder doesn't do too good with chase and use regular dvd +/-RW that doesn't have problems since they don't do chase mode.
post #221 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc View Post

The SA8300 only outputs 16:9 over the component or hdmi cable. The only way to avoid letterboxing over S-Video is to change the output resolution on the 8300 to SD only and then zoom the pic

Thanks

I figured that out last night around midnight. Im not really sure I like the results. I could not find a good mode to stretch it back upon replay. It looks like an anamorphic image when recording but just not as compressed as I thought.

Once again thanks for the reply that was right on.
post #222 of 380
Help please-

I was able to find some Memorex RAM disks at CompUSA and tried using different ram disks other than the disk that came with the Panny recorder. It still freezes whenever I'm recording, while watching something else on the disk. It does this usually while I'm CM skipping, fast forward, rewind etc on the current chapter that I'm watching, and not necessarily the chapter being recorded. It does not do this while playing back commercial disks, or just during playback of the RAM without recording.

So the questions to the Forum experts are: Does the Chase or Time Slip normally work with all the other pause, stop, FF, RW, CM skipping using RAM? Or, Chase work FAIRLY well while using these functions? Or, is the Chase somewhat temporamental and don't expection much. Or I just got another lemon Panny and should just return it and try something else.

Art
post #223 of 380
I just bought some Memorex RAM discs at WM. I used one to record a program last night - but didn't use the chase feature. I'll probably watch the recording tonight. If I have a chance I'll test the chase feature this weekend.
post #224 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauerbach View Post

I just bought some Memorex RAM discs at WM. I used one to record a program last night - but didn't use the chase feature. I'll probably watch the recording tonight. If I have a chance I'll test the chase feature this weekend.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to what happens with your disc. Perhaps I overload the player's ram memory or however it takes to read and write onto the disc when I do the skipping, FF, Rew or pause while its recording. Perhaps the laser is sensitive and I'm asking too much of it to read and write at the time. I always thought chase/slip time on the Pannys were suppose to rock solid. Maybe I'm wrong.
post #225 of 380
Did a quick test.

FF while recording - seemed to be ok.

Will try to do a more in-depth test when I get a chance.
post #226 of 380
My remote control is not working.
Recorder displays "SET 2".
When I click POWER on the remote control.
Will not do anything else.
How do I Fix.tried unplugging Recorder several times and restarting ,But won't enable any functions on the remote control.Otherwise the recorder works fine.
Mark
post #227 of 380
What you did was somehow change your units code to CODE 2 & your Remote is still sending the signals out in CODE 1 the Factory Setting.

So what you have to do is change the Remote To CODE 2 & then you will be able to either keep it set to CODE 2 or go into the Menu System & change the unit back to CODE 1 & if you do that then you also have to change the Remote Back To CODE 1.

TRY THIS:
1. HOLD DOWN THE "ENTER" BUTTON
2. HOLD DOWN THE NUMBER "2" BUTTON AT THE SAME TIME FOR A FEW SECONDS
3. RELEASE BOTH BUTTONS & THEN PRESS & RELEASE THE "ENTER" BUTTON

The Remote should now be set to Control Number 2 which should now control your unit.

See Your Owners Manual Under "When Other Panasonic Products Respond To This Remote Control" For More Info on the codes & etc.
post #228 of 380
Fry's Electronics (Palo Alto) carries RAM discs. Aisles 4, top shelf and 15
post #229 of 380
I got hold of another panny 35 to try out the RAM disc function. I guess the chase/timeslip does NOT work too well while recording. This unit also froze when I used the playback and recording at the same time. This is the 3rd panny unit, albeit a different model, that I've tested and got the same results.

I think the Panasonic RAM chase/timeslip is not as stable or reliable as I expected. Perhaps because I'm recording on EP and the laser reading and writing is too sensitive in this mode. I'll try on LP, or SP to see if its better.

Am I the only one that uses the chase function and having this problem?
post #230 of 380
I picked up a Panasonic DMR-ES46V at Costco and after following the users Manual setup instructions for connection with a television and cable box, it seemed like the manual was wrong.
The manual showed this setup:
Wall coax to ES46 RF in
ES46 RF coax out to Motorola STB RF in
Motorola STB RF out to JVC RF in
A/V (red/white/yellow) out from Motorola STB to ES46 A/V in
ES46 A/V out to TV A/V in.

I have Time Warner Digital Cable w/ a Motorola STB
JVC 52" LCOS TV.

After hooking everything up with this configuration, I turned the unit on and it went through the setup, automatically detected the time and then went through the channel setup to 125 channels on the internal tuner. Another thing I noticed is to watch anything on the TV, the Panasonic unit needed to be on at all times.

I could tune channels using the Panasonic turner but no matter what channel I changed the STB cable box to, it wouldn't change the channel on the tv. Did I miss something? Using this setup only allowed me to use the internal tuner .

I changed connection from the wall coax to Motorola STB RF in, Motorola RF out to ES46 RF in, ES46 RF out to TV. Component cable from STB to TV and HDMI cable from ES46 to TV. A/V cable out from Motorola STB to ES46 A/V in. Using this configuration, I can use the cable box to tune in all my channels and I can record the selected channel with the Panasonic recorder. I tune the TV to Digital in. DVD upconversion looks great. I can also turn off the Panasonic unit and switch the TV source to Input 1 and use the cable box as I did before I have the Panasonic recorder.

The setup I changed to seems to work but I'm not sure if there is a better way to hook the unit up.
One last question. During Setup it asked TV Type Aspect 16:9 & 480 i or Aspect 16:9 & 480 p. I have a JVC 52" LCOS DILA TV. Should I set up interlaced or progressive?
post #231 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by arty101 View Post

I got hold of another panny 35 to try out the RAM disc function. I guess the chase/timeslip does NOT work too well while recording. This unit also froze when I used the playback and recording at the same time. This is the 3rd panny unit, albeit a different model, that I've tested and got the same results.

I think the Panasonic RAM chase/timeslip is not as stable or reliable as I expected. Perhaps because I'm recording on EP and the laser reading and writing is too sensitive in this mode. I'll try on LP, or SP to see if its better.

Am I the only one that uses the chase function and having this problem?

I don't have this model, but I have the ES20 - I haven't tried TimeSlip with EP mode. But I didn't have any significant problems with TimeSlip of a program while it was recording on DVD-RAM the few times I used this combination. It is not as fast/responsive as it would be if it wasn't recording at the same time, but I was expecting that. I did not do extensive FF/rewind/Slow-mo - just watched and skipped commercials.
post #232 of 380
I used the time slip function last night on a Maxell DVD RAM - did some commerical skipping, FF and REW - all worked fine.
post #233 of 380
Opinions needed...

I just bought the ES46V and noticed the limitation on recording in 16:9 only on DVD-RAM. In your collective opinions, do you think this is a limitation that warrants returning the unit and get one that records 16:9 on say DVD-R?

I guess I'm worried about the DVD-RAM disk being so expensive and compatabity in the long run.

Are there other recorders comparable in quality and price that record 16:9 on a more common disk?

Thanks
post #234 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauerbach View Post

I used the time slip function last night on a Maxell DVD RAM - did some commerical skipping, FF and REW - all worked fine.

Did you do this while recording? I used both Panasonic and Memorex DVD Ram and still have the problem with locking up. It even locks up while just watching a past program on the same disc while its recording, and not even doing any timeslip or commercial skipping. Now this is on both the ES46 and ES35 units.

Hum, strange. What mode are you recording? SP, LP or EP?
post #235 of 380
Quote:


Did you do this while recording?

Yes, I did. I was recording the Amazing Race - started watching it about 10 - 15 minutes after it started - skipped through all the commercials, paused it once, and even rewound a bit when I went too far ahead.

I think the recording was done on the 4 hour setting - can't remember if that is EP, LP or SP.
post #236 of 380
Quote:


In your collective opinions, do you think this is a limitation that warrants returning the unit and get one that records 16:9 on say DVD-R?

I don't think so.

Standard Def TV is still broadcast in 4:3 - only HD is broadcast in 16:9 - this unit will not record in HD.

When I watch SD I stretch it to fill my screen - I'm doing the same thing with the recorded programs. They are recorded in 4:3 and then I let my TV do the stretching.

If SD TV ever gets broadcast in 16:9 then it might be an issue.

My opinion - my 2 cents.
post #237 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauerbach View Post

I don't think so.

Standard Def TV is still broadcast in 4:3 - only HD is broadcast in 16:9 - this unit will not record in HD.

When I watch SD I stretch it to fill my screen - I'm doing the same thing with the recorded programs. They are recorded in 4:3 and then I let my TV do the stretching.

If SD TV ever gets broadcast in 16:9 then it might be an issue.

My opinion - my 2 cents.


I do the same, but a lot of what I will be recording is HD programing (some in SD, but a substantial amount in HD) so I want it to be in 16:9 even though it's not HD. I guess what I'm asking is do you think that only being able to record 16:9 on DVD-RAM is a serious limitation? If I understand correctly, other recorders can record 16:9 on much cheaper disks. So I was wondering if another recorder might be better suited for recording in widescreen.
post #238 of 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebva View Post

I do the same, but a lot of what I will be recording is HD programing (some in SD, but a substantial amount in HD) so I want it to be in 16:9 even though it's not HD. I guess what I'm asking is do you think that only being able to record 16:9 on DVD-RAM is a serious limitation? If I understand correctly, other recorders can record 16:9 on much cheaper disks. So I was wondering if another recorder might be better suited for recording in widescreen.

The Pioneer DVR-640H-S manual shows it can record 16:9 to its HDD, DVD-RAM, and VR-mode DVD-R/RW.

Finalized VR-mode discs would be OK for playing on the 640 or other VR-capable player/recorder (other Pios and ???). However, they don't have the "universal" compatibility of normal Video-mode DVDs.
post #239 of 380
Well now I'm confused.

I was under the impression that this unit could not record HD - can it?
post #240 of 380
No it can't. I was saying that the programing that I want to record is HD programing. It will record in SD but to make it look better it should be recorded in 16:9 to fill the screen.

I want to know if other recorders out there record in 16:9 on regular DVD-R disks that can be played on most DVD players. The DVD-RAM disks are expensive, and that is the only disk that the ES46V will record in 16:9 aspect ratio.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread