Originally Posted by jizaref1
I am setting up a new home theater , and would like some assistance [ please let me know if there is a better forum for posting this question].
I have the components purchased or ordered, but want to make sure I am buying the right cables. Everyone on these forums has convinced me to go with monoprice, I just want to make sure I choose the correct items.
My system will be:
* PS3/blu ray
* Comcast HD cable DVR
* Onkyo TXSR605 receiver
* Polk RM 6880 speaker set
* Sony XBR2 46 LCD
Here is my monoprice shopping cart:
620 Digital Coaxial Audio RCA Cable M/M RG59U 75ohm S/PDIF Subwoofer - 12ft [CT] $4.48
2219 HDMI to HDMI CL2 Rated Cable (24AWG) w/ net jacket- 6ft (Gold Plated) $17.93
2412 HDMI Cable male to male 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated) $4.77 x 2 = $9.54
2764 PREMIUM 6FT Optical Toslink 8.0mm Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector $6.02 x 2 = $12.04
2769 PREMIUM 6FT 3-RCA Component Video RG-6 18AWG 75Ohm CL2 Rated Cable $12.54 $12.54
I plan HDMI from the PS3 and cable box to receiver, and then HDMI out from receiver to the display.
I also will be setting up an alternate set of connections of component video and toslink audio from cable directly to TV (bypassing the receiver) for when I just want to watch some quick garbage TV and don't care about 5.1 sound.
I am considering also buying an upconverting DVD player depending on how satisfied I am with the PS3's SD-DVD playback, so will get another set of component video cable and toslink for that purpose.
My questions are:
1) how does one choose between 24 and 28 gauge HDMI?
2) do I need ferrite cores?
3) Is 6 foot too long, or should I just get 3 footers (these components will all live in the same cabinet)?
4) am I buying the best toslink?
Also, I am going to use a standard RCA cable to come in from my wall cable jack. I will feed this into an RCA line splitter. One line will go out from this splitter straight to my TV (I know I will lose the HDTV signal, this is just for basic TV). The other line will go out from the splitter to my cable box to decode the HD info and send to the receiver.
My questions are:
1) Which cables suit this RCA purpose? Are there quality features to look for?
2) Does monoprice or someone similar sell RCA splitters?
3) Does this split change or ruin my HDTV signal?
4) Would you recommend a line conditioner as part of the surge protector as well (e.g. Panamax type box) as all the BestBuy/CircuitCity sales guys recommend?
Thanks in advance, and did I forget anything?