or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 2

post #31 of 21377
" My store " is BB, Which I work at. I highly doubt we will be getting the 88 model or if we can even order it. Thats why I was asking about the 10 bit because it'll be a lot more than a couple hundred for me. I dont need the cable card , PIP etc. either.

Can't wait to see some pics evil!
post #32 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Rage View Post

I've been messing around with my new Harmony 880, and while the TV isn't recognized by Logitech yet, it seems to be working okay. After some minor tweaking, I was able to get the TV, Receiver, and DVD player working together easily. The hardest part was Game Mode... I created a macro for my component input that used individual IR commands from the remote to enable game mode on switching to component and disable it when doing anything else... can't even see what's happening, only verification is that game mode is on when it needs to be and off when it needs to be, and without me manually adjusting; so, needless to say, it's working!

Evil-Rage

Hi Evil. I'm currently "borrowing" an HL-R5678W from Tweeter while waiting for the HLS series to come in. (click here for more info)
The HLR that I have can assign game mode so a specific input (i.e. Component 1). Which is where my 360 is currently connected. That way you don't have to go through the macro programming on your harmony remote.
Did Samsung remove this feature for some reason? or do you have an HDMI switching receiver?
post #33 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriWeZ View Post

" My store " is BB, Which I work at. I highly doubt we will be getting the 88 model or if we can even order it. Thats why I was asking about the 10 bit because it'll be a lot more than a couple hundred for me. I dont need the cable card , PIP etc. either.

Can't wait to see some pics evil!


I understand, thank you for clarifying. It makes much more sense now. Hmm, maybe I should talk to my friend at BB. lol


Evil - Ditto on the pics. Thanks for taking the time to hook us up with info on your TV.
post #34 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHenning37 View Post

Is the middle shelf removable? Reason I'm asking is that the center channel I'm looking at is 12.1" tall and I'm wondering if that would fit at all.

The middle shelf is 100% optional, you do not have to use it if you do not want to. I also liked this feature of the stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1per41 View Post

Hi Evil. I'm currently "borrowing" an HL-R5678W from Tweeter while waiting for the HLS series to come in. (click here for more info)
The HLR that I have can assign game mode so a specific input (i.e. Component 1). Which is where my 360 is currently connected. That way you don't have to go through the macro programming on your harmony remote.
Did Samsung remove this feature for some reason? or do you have an HDMI switching receiver?

The only option I saw for game mode was to turn it on or off, no connection to a specific input or anything like that. It also appears that I can turn on game mode on any input... well, at least on HDMI or component, the two I currently have. Harmony doesn't recognize my TV, and for some reason loaded options for an HLR or an HLN, so that may also be the reason why it's not working automatically. Still, the macro wasn't difficult.
post #35 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

So evil:

First congrats - on having what appears to be the first HL-Sxx!
When/where did you get it and what did you hear about availability as many of us are looking for this and not necessarily going to use the Powerbuy whenever that arrives.

Got the TV from a local Best Buy, I lucked out and they had it in the warehouse while I was exchanging my old dead HLP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

Also, interested in your comment about DNie being autoff when in movie mode - as there is much belief that DNie is the primary cause of audio/video sync problems. So, somehow you can see that the optioning for DNie is off when you go into movie mode?

It's automatically greyed out and set to off when movie mode is turned on. However, it appears that movie mode is just a grouped set of control settings, so I believe it's possible to have DNIe on with the identical 'look' of movie mode. I'll check this out when I wake up some more =p

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNY View Post

So from my experience with the HL-R6168, 2 suggestions:
- if you have (I assume yes) an HD cable box, connect it with HDMI. much better experience all around. Indeed, everything is better, once again IMHO via HDMI.
-consider getting an upconversion DVD player (I settled on the panny s97s approx 6mos ago after returning the oppo and the samsung and avoiding the sony for various reasons) so that less video processing needs to be done in the set. This is also a sort of cure for audio/video sync when watching dvd's.

I actually don't have an HD cable box, believe it or not. Right now I can't justify ordering cable or satellite because I simply wouldn't watch it enough - I haven't really missed it, either. However, once my gf and I move in together, I think we'll get cable or sat, after doing some research to figure out which is the best for us. Right now I'm using my TV for DVD-watching on my upconverting Denon DVD-3910, and also for playing games on my 2 PS2s and Xbox, now that the TV doesn't suffer from the horrible lag my HLP set did.

However, I'm not opposed to anyone buying me an HD-Tivo set, so long as I can pick the programming package.
post #36 of 21377
Wait...
So you just bought a 61" HDTV, but don't have a single digital HD source in your home theater?
How odd.
post #37 of 21377
Thread Starter 
Evil-Rage ... depending on your location in the Bay Area, you should be able to get all of the major HD stations over-the-air on your set. It might be an inexpensive option and allow you to avoid getting cable or sat. Plus, OTA quality is great. All of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) have great HD prime-time programming. PBS HD is also a nice channel that is also free. There are several internet sites that can tell you what channels you will get in your location and what HD antenna will work best.
post #38 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1per41 View Post

Wait...
So you just bought a 61" HDTV, but don't have a single digital HD source in your home theater?
How odd.

I guess you're not counting the upconverting DVD player, but I suppose that's not true HD anyhow.

Keep in mind that I didn't 'buy' this TV, per se, but it was exchanged as a replacement for my old 50" TV.

Nothing beats snuggling on the couch with the gf and enjoying a movie from my DVD collection. That's really what my TV is for.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

Evil-Rage ... depending on your location in the Bay Area, you should be able to get all of the major HD stations over-the-air on your set. It might be an inexpensive option and allow you to avoid getting cable or sat. Plus, OTA quality is great. All of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) have great HD prime-time programming. PBS HD is also a nice channel that is also free. There are several internet sites that can tell you what channels you will get in your location and what HD antenna will work best.

Sounds good. As odd as it sounds, getting cable/sat just seems too expensive to me. I bought an OTA antenna a while ago but never really used it, as the old TV didn't have a tuner and I just kind of stopped caring, but I might actually go get a good antenna and see if I can't get a few shows I like and know I'm missing. Have any links?
post #39 of 21377
Evil-

Did you say the TV doesn't support a PC over a DVI-HDMI connection?
post #40 of 21377
why not just use a vga cable to connect the computer to the vga connection on the tv....is there a big difference between the vga and hdmi/dvi when using a computer?
and evil is there anyway you can connect your computer to the tv using the vga connection and see if 1920x1080 is supported...thanks
post #41 of 21377
Apparently the TV has a WUXGA connection.

"It is a wide version of UXGA, and is appropriate for viewing North American HDTV content (ATSC), which uses a 1920×1080 image at a 16:9 ratio (the image is slightly letterboxed, but maintains an appropriate aspect ratio)." -Wikipedia


A WUXGA connection supports up to 1920x1200. I emailed Dell and they said that the WUXGA connection can pass a full 1080p signal, be it game or WMVHD, etc.

Below is a visual:

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_te...i=54916,00.asp
post #42 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake View Post

Evil-

Did you say the TV doesn't support a PC over a DVI-HDMI connection?

On page 23 of the manual, it describes connecting to DVI. There, it says you can use a DVI-HDMI cable between the TV and the set top box. It specifically says under notes for that section:

"NOTES
- Requires a Cable Converter
- Make sure the HDMI/DVI source's power is on, or you will be unable to select it in the TV menu's source list
- The HDMI IN 1/DVI IN jack is not compatible with PC."

The HDMI 2 jack does not support DVI, I suppose, at least not officially. Either way, the manual says no DVI with PC
post #43 of 21377
evil...is there anyway you can test the situation with connecting the tv to a computer? I am sure it would help a lot of us out..thanks
post #44 of 21377
Evil,

Does the HL-S6187W have a cable card slot?
post #45 of 21377
Evil - I'll add my thanks for your reports. I'm deciding between the 5687 and the 5688 and any info I can get is a big help.

I've been using an OTA antenna with an RCA DTC100 box for about 5 years. I chose an inexpensive, big honkin' Channel Master antenna and mounted it in my attic so no one had to look at it. I can't remember the model that I bought (I haven't looked at it in a few years) but I think I only paid about $50 at either Lowes or HD. I'm lucky though in that all of the broadcast towers in my area (Cincinnati) are located in the same direction, about 20 miles away. I pointed the antenna in that direction and I pick up all of the available HD channels. If you have the option of mounting in an attic, you can get a much better antenna than some of the fancy indoor models, at less cost.
post #46 of 21377
Does anyone know if that since it doesn't seem to have true PIP can you still view 2 inputs on the screen (Twin View) for example Satellite on one side and off air or cable on the other?
post #47 of 21377
Regarding connecting a PC through HDMI, I've seen a few other threads that say that this is rarely "officially" supported by the manufacturers. Something to do with messing up the HDMI input if you use the wrong timing. HTPC people though seem to make it work all the time with a video card that supports the needed config ability (resolution and refresh rates).

Evil - If you want to give it a shot, search the HTPC boards. I don't have a specific thread that I can link you to.
post #48 of 21377
enough to put a pretty green arrow pointing me to this thread?
post #49 of 21377
Shockingly, once of the best HD experiences I've had was watching a local OTA Station, which also broadcasts in HD; (70)5, of Return of the King. Until you see the trilogy in HD, you havent lived ... if you're a geek, anyhow. DVD is absolutely no comparison, upconverted or no.
So... evil one.... I would highly recommend setting up that OTA HDA antenna and be surprised at the content you get for nada.
For that matter, a while back the NBC network broadcast OTA the Eagles live concert with DD..... un.fing.believeable.
post #50 of 21377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in SF View Post

enough to put a pretty green arrow pointing me to this thread?

... I wondered if anyone noticed that I picked those icons so you can just scan the list of active threads.
post #51 of 21377
Evil - Are you familiar with the color banding problem with the HLR series? If so have you seen any color banding in your new set? I'm wondering if I need to hold out for the 10 bit color capability of the xx88 series, or if the problem has been addressed in the xx87.
post #52 of 21377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

Evil - Are you familiar with the color banding problem with the HLR series? If so have you seen any color banding in your new set? I'm wondering if I need to hold out for the 10 bit color capability of the xx88 series, or if the problem has been addressed in the xx87.

Color banding does not seem to be a problem on my HLR5668W ... can you be more specific? I don't think that color banding is a known problem on the HLR series (like AV sync, gaming lag, etc.).
post #53 of 21377
Call me crazy, but how is it possible that there is only one individual in the entire United States who has been able to find, let alone purchase, an "S" series Samsung DLP?
post #54 of 21377
You mean first person in this forum.
post #55 of 21377
Does anyone know yet if the optical out on the TV passes 5.1 audio?
post #56 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You mean first person in this forum.

It's just about even money that an early-adopter type interested in this sort of thing will end up here. Remember, I already offered up the option to be deemed insane.
post #57 of 21377
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

Call me crazy, but how is it possible that there is only one individual in the entire United States who has been able to find, let alone purchase, an "S" series Samsung DLP?

Samsung's warehouse is in southern CA. The west coast may receive sets up to a week earlier than the east coast. Last year, weeks after I have evaluated the first HLR's at Magnolia HiFi here in the San Francisco area people still couldn't see one at their local retailers around the US. I can't remember how long that went on, but it may have been for two or three months.
post #58 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post

It's just about even money that an early-adopter type interested in this sort of thing will end up here. Remember, I already offered up the option to be deemed insane.

You may remember that about this time last year Mitsubishi announced the arrival of their new models with a press conference at a high end store in Southern California. In fact they had ~3 sets at that location and two of them were sold to folks who didn't report their purchase here at AVS. It was several weeks (more than a month) before any more of these sets were in dealers hands. In the mean time Samsung's new models were being delivered by dealers even though they were officially second to market for 2005.

In this case the set in question was in the BB Bay Area warehouse. It has been reported that the BB computer system shows several HLS models but no inventory. At the same time (just now) the Magnolia computer system for the Bay Area shows only one (46") HLS with no expected arrival date. Magnolia belongs to BB and probably sells more Samsung DLPs per store than BB. Go figure!

They will be here when they are ....
post #59 of 21377
HDMI 5.1 pass through would be a better question. But optical would be nice to know as well.
post #60 of 21377
That's what I was talking about.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models