or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models - Page 262

post #7831 of 21377
Quote:


When I switch from component to HDMI it says "weak or no signal" and then a few seconds later the picture appears. Anyone else see this?

It's the 'handshaking' that occurs with a digital connection AFAIK.
Quote:


on really bright sky or white scenes that the background sometimes has faint horizontal lines...like hairline thin

If you are using a STB, go direct and see if it is still there. Do you see it on more than one channel? Try OTA.
post #7832 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post

When I switch from component to HDMI it says "weak or no signal" and then a few seconds later the picture appears. Anyone else see this?

My 6188 does the same thing on my DVD player. I even replace my HDMI cable with a thicker gauge one, same thing. I only receive this message on my DVD player HDMI (Sony dvp-ns3100es), not on my Direct TV HR20-700. For some reason the satellite HDMI does not get this message.

In addition, my coaxials are hot as well.

Dave
post #7833 of 21377
i'm trying to find a picture of one of the samsung dlp's with the samsung stand also sold at 'the bookstore' and other places. my wife would like to see how the setup would look and i'm debating whether i need to buy a more expensive stand for it. i'll have to put the center channel on top of the set (with one of the omnimount center shelves)....thanks.
post #7834 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

i'm trying to find a picture of one of the samsung dlp's with the samsung stand also sold at 'the bookstore' and other places. my wife would like to see how the setup would look and i'm debating whether i need to buy a more expensive stand for it. i'll have to put the center channel on top of the set (with one of the omnimount center shelves)....thanks.

Sorry, can't help you with a picture. But I can give you my thoughts instead.

I originally bought the matching TR50X3B stand for my HL-S5687, but ended up taking it back. The TV and stand looked awesome together, but the stand was ultimately unusable for me due to the depth of my components.

I ended up spending an extra $100 on the Z-Line LUXOR55 and am much happier. There's a bunch more room and the TV still looks awesome sitting on it.

Paul
post #7835 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Hey guys, I am proud new owner of a Samsung HL-S5087. I am quite happy. We had a 37" LCD HDTV (from Soyo, using LG panel) and that was in bedroom converted into our family room, but the misses wanted to use our living room as our family room, and I didn't like the fact that the one room I put together was being taken away, so we struck a compromise in which we could get a new TV for the living room, and keep the family room intact.

I read many many pages of this forum to get the take on this TV, and loved it when I saw it at CC. Biggest problem though is that our sofa/loveseat is too close to the TV, and we get what looks like SDE, but rather black beads which make the picture look grainy. If you look at the picture from another room, you see crystal clarity. Unfortunately we can do nothing about this, unless someone has some ideas about TV settings to help us maximize our enjoyment of the television considering we only sit about 7-8 ft away from the TV without rearranging any furniture (nothing can be done to increase distance away from TV).


Here is my big question though:
I have comcast cable, and have the DCT-3412 box from them for this particular TV. I am not trying to start up a classic 1080i vs. 720p debate, but unlike SA boxes, Motorola boxes have to be set to output all content in one resolution, and I don't trust this Motorola box to upconvert or downconvert particularly well. Which one should I be using for the glorious 1080p TV?

What is worse? Taking 1080i content, downrezzing to 720p in the Motorola box, and then having the TV display (upconvert) in 1080p OR

Taking 720p content, uprezzing to 1080i in the Motorola box, and then having the TV display (upcovert) in 1080p.

We watch all major networks pretty equally, and between my wife and I we watch sports, dramas, comedies, etc. I don't want to have to change the box back and forth all the time, but I don't know what to do.

Seems like sports on FOX/ABC/ESPN will be best if the box outputs 720p and allows the Samsung to upconvert to 1080p.

Seems like dramas and comedies on NBC/CBS will be best if the box outputs 1080i and allows the Samsung to upconvert to 1080p.

Thanks for your advice in advance!

Turns out I was able to move the TV to a different location in the room and now don't have the SDE effects, it's perfect now as we sit close enough to enjoy 1080p, but not so close that you see the screen door/"beads."

Besides that, I'd still love some input from you guys when you get a chance regarding what to set my box to output. I wish the motorola boxes would just pass through everything and let the TV deinterlace/scale, but since that isn't an option, what should I do? Output everything in 1080i or 720p coming from the Motorola DCT-3412 from Comcast?

Thanks!!
post #7836 of 21377
Thanks for the feedback on the HDMI "weak or no signal". Its good to know that its happening to others and is not really an issue.

I found where to center the image in SM and that tilt does bother me. I think I'm going to try the push - pull tweak and see if it helps. Does it stay once its tweaked into shape or does it revert back over time?

Thanks,
Mike
post #7837 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejl View Post

Thanks for the feedback on the HDMI "weak or no signal". Its good to know that its happening to others and is not really an issue.

I found where to center the image in SM and that tilt does bother me. I think I'm going to try the push - pull tweak and see if it helps. Does it stay once its tweaked into shape or does it revert back over time?

Thanks,
Mike

Mine has stayed, but my tilt was minor. I think this will only help if you have a slight tilt. Just be gentle, as you do not need much force at all to flex the case.
post #7838 of 21377
I've configured all of my boxes (xbox 360, vip411) to output 1080i to my HL-S5087W 1080p set. I found that these settings translated into the best picture displayed on the set. Its just my opinion. Good luck. Cheers!
post #7839 of 21377
I don't think I like my display.

Hear me out.

I have an HLS5687W. I *HAD* an HLS5686W but it had tilt issues (HORRIBLE) and had screen spots out of the box. Samsung authorized a replacement, and I upgraded through them for a (higher than I should have paid) fee.

I just got it yesterday and I went right to Eliab's recommended settings. Color looks great. However, no matter what signal I send it, it looks like crap. SD is awful, to be expected, and there is a bit of bowing which SUCKS and the 5686 *DIDN'T* have it. No tilt problems, and I am not a fan of the sparkle screen, but if you get enough ambient light behind it you really don't see it which is fine.

HD cable looks terrible. The bane of the higher resolution is that you see more detail, as in compression problems. I have the HD-A1 also and in all 5 of my movies I still see noticeable compression artifacts. I have even seen banding. On the 720 set I didn't, but ignorance is bliss.

I just don't get the "3D" or "pop" that everyone describes. I think I need to see something that was filmed in HD or something, all of the HD DVDs I own have film grain, so it is somewhat distracting when trying to get a clean image (I don't mind the grain, it is part of the film).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am within the driving range of Eliab, so I think that a calibration is in order, but money is tight now that I have bought all this new stuff.

Oh, I also have everything going through my Denon AVR-2807. I have put stuff in directly so there is no degredation there.

Please help.
post #7840 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post

i'm trying to find a picture of one of the samsung dlp's with the samsung stand also sold at 'the bookstore' and other places. my wife would like to see how the setup would look and i'm debating whether i need to buy a more expensive stand for it. i'll have to put the center channel on top of the set (with one of the omnimount center shelves)....thanks.

I'm using the samsung stand and I think it looks nice. I agree with others that it doesn't have much room for your gear. I was able to fit my center channel and DVD player in the stand, but the rest of my gear is in a separate rack.

Here's a photo:
post #7841 of 21377
Brywalker,

Go rent Serenity on HDDVD (if you can) and watch that. That movie has to be one of the best HD transfers i've ever seen and if it looks like crap on your set, then i'd say there is something wrong. I can't imagine why HD content would look bad. I have DishHD, which is MUCH more compressed than anything else and the pictures look pretty darn good, except for the occasional compression artifact of course. Keep us apprised to any other problems/fixes that occur.
post #7842 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored28 View Post

Brywalker,

Go rent Serenity on HDDVD (if you can) and watch that. That movie has to be one of the best HD transfers i've ever seen and if it looks like crap on your set, then i'd say there is something wrong. I can't imagine why HD content would look bad. I have DishHD, which is MUCH more compressed than anything else and the pictures look pretty darn good, except for the occasional compression artifact of course. Keep us apprised to any other problems/fixes that occur.

Great. Serenity was the first film I put in.

The part where Mal is talking to the crew about going to Maranda, and he is standing in front of a spotlight, there is flicker in front of River and there is HORRIBLE banding in the light. Do you experience this? I don't remember seeing this on the other set.

I really hope that nothing is wrong, I don't know how many Samsung are going to swap until I get one I like.

Also, I think there may be a keystone issue beyond the bowing. I am going to throw up the HD test patterns and see if I can get a pic to come out.
post #7843 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccikong View Post

I'm using the samsung stand and I think it looks nice. I agree with others that it doesn't have much room for your gear. I was able to fit my center channel and DVD player in the stand, but the rest of my gear is in a separate rack.

Here's a photo:

thanks for posting the picture. the stand looks nice but i see what others are saying--since the glass shelves are angled in (which makes the stand look particularly clean) there isn't much room to put equipment on them...i think it depends on how much of your electronics you want there...i sort of want them on the stand if possible, that would enable me to eliminate one piece of furniture i have in the room (my audio rack)....
post #7844 of 21377
I've determined that a lot of the issues on my TV seem to be STB-related. First, when messing around with overscan and off to see which was better for me, I decided that overscan on was better. It allowed me to center my image vertically and not see garbage at the top of the screen. This also prevents widescreen DVDs from having a thin top bar and thick bottom bar. It also allowed me to stretch SD material and not have a small black bar on the left side. I actually think it is the STB broadcast. When playing around with 1080i and 1080i+720p as my output formats from the box I noticed that it affected overscan. With only 1080i ESPNHD was flush with the bottom bezel (not cut off but flush). This is all with overscan on mind you. When I added 720p as an output option the ESPNHD logo now showed up about 1/2" higher. Anyone have any explanation? The STB is a Pioneer Voyager.
post #7845 of 21377
I watched Serenity on my HL-S5087 and was simply blown away. I can't imagine that your TV would be the culprit here. I would first make sure that it is not the player/STB that are giving you problems. If its not that, then it is well beyond my knowledge what could be causing the problems. Hopefully someone else here has some suggestions to help you out. If not, then it may just be a case where you'll have to get a new set if it cannot be repaired or if you bought it from a B&M, then i would just swap it out again.
post #7846 of 21377
Ok, well this is FAR from ideal. You get the picture, so to speak.

USB thumb drive through Wiselink (which is pretty cool!). I got the pattern off HDNet.

HLS5687W Geometry

See the bowing? It's TERRIBLE. Should I call Samsung and get them to come fix this? Is it even fixable??
post #7847 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywalker View Post

Great. Serenity was the first film I put in.

The part where Mal is talking to the crew about going to Maranda, and he is standing in front of a spotlight, there is flicker in front of River and there is HORRIBLE banding in the light. Do you experience this? I don't remember seeing this on the other set.

I really hope that nothing is wrong, I don't know how many Samsung are going to swap until I get one I like.

Also, I think there may be a keystone issue beyond the bowing. I am going to throw up the HD test patterns and see if I can get a pic to come out.

I've only seen this movie once and it was on DVD but when you talk about "flickering", do you also see this when watching an NFL or MLB game on ESPN and when the camera pans up to show the crowd, they flicker a bit? I've only noticed this on ESPN though.
post #7848 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfitzgerald View Post

I originally bought the matching TR50X3B stand for my HL-S5687, but ended up taking it back. The TV and stand looked awesome together, but the stand was ultimately unusable for me due to the depth of my components.

I ended up spending an extra $100 on the Z-Line LUXOR55 and am much happier. There's a bunch more room and the TV still looks awesome sitting on it.

What are the heights of the shelves?

jdg
post #7849 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofer View Post

I've only seen this movie once and it was on DVD but when you talk about "flickering", do you also see this when watching an NFL or MLB game on ESPN and when the camera pans up to show the crowd, they flicker a bit? I've only noticed this on ESPN though.

Ok omit the flickering thing. It is on the DVD too. Tested on my PC.

Of COURSE I didn't buy it at a B&M. I wanted to save money, at the expense of my sanity.
post #7850 of 21377
Yep. I think Eliab should be able to tell you what is causing that under the hood and perhaps recommend a possible fix/action to take. I would have to imagine that it can be repaired, however; you stated that you are having picture quality problems as well, correct? A lot of that could simply be the settings in the SM that need to be properly calibrated. I have having some horrible color-matching issues with my set until the tech came over and fixed the Index Delay. Where a color was supposed to be red, it was gray ... so the PQ was horrendous. Once that was changed, everything has been great. I'd say try to post some pics of the PQ problems as well and maybe one of us will be able to help you further.

At the very least, I would contact Samsung and tell them your problem and they should set up a visit from a tech. Don't go into the SM, let the tech handle that.
post #7851 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDG View Post

What are the heights of the shelves?

jdg

Both top and bottom shelves are 7.5"

Paul
post #7852 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccikong View Post

I'm using the samsung stand and I think it looks nice. I agree with others that it doesn't have much room for your gear. I was able to fit my center channel and DVD player in the stand, but the rest of my gear is in a separate rack.

Here's a photo:

Buccikong, I notice you have a little light spot (almost like a glare, but not really) in a round shape in the direct center of your TV when it is on an all deep black screen (for instance when it's off). I have almost the same thing only a little bigger and it's been getting worse lately, does this bother you and if so have you found a way to reduce it?
post #7853 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Buccikong, I notice you have a little light spot (almost like a glare, but not really) in a round shape in the direct center of your TV when it is on an all deep black screen (for instance when it's off). I have almost the same thing only a little bigger and it's been getting worse lately, does this bother you and if so have you found a way to reduce it?

I have eliminated it.

Light behind the set, not in front of.
post #7854 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Buccikong, I notice you have a little light spot (almost like a glare, but not really) in a round shape in the direct center of your TV when it is on an all deep black screen (for instance when it's off). I have almost the same thing only a little bigger and it's been getting worse lately, does this bother you and if so have you found a way to reduce it?

This is usually seen on all of these sets. It is due to the reflection of ambient light. Its nothing to be concerned about. That is, unless you are able to turn off all the lights in your room and the spot still exists. Then you may have a problem.
post #7855 of 21377
Well, just took delivery of a 6187. Haven't had too much time to play with it since Eagle delivery delivered the set over 2 hours past their 4 hour scheduled time window!

Anyway, I applied Eliab's basic settings and started watching some HD channels on Verizon FiosTV via Motorola QP4616.

The big thing that I noticed was that motion was a bit herky jerky. Kinda like watching the girl from the Ring movie. It happened on different channels. It wasn't the smooth fluid like motion one expects from quality HD. It was worst on ending credits of a movie. Very jerky motion that was very tiring to watch. Had to divert my eyes.

It wasn't RBE because I have already seen that and know what that looks like. I thought at first it may be audio/video sync issues with HDMI but that looked fine as well.

Any thoughts?
post #7856 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Buccikong, I notice you have a little light spot (almost like a glare, but not really) in a round shape in the direct center of your TV when it is on an all deep black screen (for instance when it's off). I have almost the same thing only a little bigger and it's been getting worse lately, does this bother you and if so have you found a way to reduce it?

I don't see the light spot when looking at the TV, it appears to be a result of the photo.

The things that bother me are smudges on the screen and a constant high-pitch humming noise that is only audible when the TV is off. It's odd, when the TV is first turned off, the fan runs for a few minutes and as soon as the fan stops the humming noise starts. If I turn the TV on, the humming stops. I'm waiting for a service call to see if these two issues can be resolved.

On a side note, I went through two Sony A2000s before switching to the Samsung (they had convergence and green haze issues). I'm using Eliab's settings on the Samsung and I think it looks better than the A2000 did with the Cnet settings. I did go from a 60" screen with the Sony down to a 56" screen with the Samsung, perhaps that has something to do with it. I've come to the conclusion that it's pretty difficult to get a set without some minor problems regardless of the manufacturer. Hopefully Samsung can address my current issues because I can't return this set. Whatever the case, I saved over a grand by switching TVs, so that makes it a little easier to deal with the imperfections.
post #7857 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Buccikong, I notice you have a little light spot (almost like a glare, but not really) in a round shape in the direct center of your TV when it is on an all deep black screen (for instance when it's off). I have almost the same thing only a little bigger and it's been getting worse lately, does this bother you and if so have you found a way to reduce it?

Just to add to what bored28 said, you should have received a small leaflet with your set explaining that this light is indeed reflected light from your room and that it is normal. You shouldn't notice it at all though with your set on, unless, like you stated, you have an all black screen.
post #7858 of 21377
I've owned my HLS5687W for about three weeks now and can't seem to be happy with my video settings. I like the way DNIE seems to sharpen certain images to give it that little extra pop but I hate how much detail it removes from darker end of the spectrum and the noise artifacts that it adds. Is this common?

Is there a way to easily tweak the sharpness/contrast in the service menu without buying extra hardware? Right now I have DNIE off, Sharpness set to 80, and Contrast at 95. Would going into the service menu help? I unfortunately know nothing about the service menu but would not be afraid to make changes as long as I had some keen advice.
post #7859 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by brywalker View Post

I don't think I like my display.

Hear me out.

I have an HLS5687W. I *HAD* an HLS5686W but it had tilt issues (HORRIBLE) and had screen spots out of the box. Samsung authorized a replacement, and I upgraded through them for a (higher than I should have paid) fee.

I just got it yesterday and I went right to Eliab's recommended settings. Color looks great. However, no matter what signal I send it, it looks like crap. SD is awful, to be expected, and there is a bit of bowing which SUCKS and the 5686 *DIDN'T* have it. No tilt problems, and I am not a fan of the sparkle screen, but if you get enough ambient light behind it you really don't see it which is fine.

HD cable looks terrible. The bane of the higher resolution is that you see more detail, as in compression problems. I have the HD-A1 also and in all 5 of my movies I still see noticeable compression artifacts. I have even seen banding. On the 720 set I didn't, but ignorance is bliss.

I just don't get the "3D" or "pop" that everyone describes. I think I need to see something that was filmed in HD or something, all of the HD DVDs I own have film grain, so it is somewhat distracting when trying to get a clean image (I don't mind the grain, it is part of the film).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am within the driving range of Eliab, so I think that a calibration is in order, but money is tight now that I have bought all this new stuff.

Oh, I also have everything going through my Denon AVR-2807. I have put stuff in directly so there is no degredation there.

Please help.


The problem is that 1080p technology is too sensitive to the source. I have an A2000, same thing is happening. Less than perfect HD results in motion distortion and it is extremely bothersome. I am considering going back to 720p because it is not noticable nearly as much. Watching sports is at times brutal...
post #7860 of 21377
Quote:
Originally Posted by krik View Post

Well, just took delivery of a 6187. Haven't had too much time to play with it since Eagle delivery delivered the set over 2 hours past their 4 hour scheduled time window!

Anyway, I applied Eliab's basic settings and started watching some HD channels on Verizon FiosTV via Motorola QP4616.

The big thing that I noticed was that motion was a bit herky jerky. Kinda like watching the girl from the Ring movie. It happened on different channels. It wasn't the smooth fluid like motion one expects from quality HD. It was worst on ending credits of a movie. Very jerky motion that was very tiring to watch. Had to divert my eyes.

It wasn't RBE because I have already seen that and know what that looks like. I thought at first it may be audio/video sync issues with HDMI but that looked fine as well.

Any thoughts?

What type of source are you using? I noticed that sometimes the HD channels on Comcast will become jerky like the way you have mentioned, especially NBC. Don't know if it's the same thing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLSxx87W/HLSxx88W DLP Models