or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › HP PL4260N and PL5060N Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HP PL4260N and PL5060N Owners Thread - Page 24

post #691 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovglove View Post

Just got finished setting up my 4260..took a while....between Dan and the manuals I plugged my way thru the crap...I set it up in stretch mode via the Moto box and selected Zoom 2 via the panel...seems to look more realistic where just stretch seemed to "just stretch" the objects...
I cannot plug my TV into the Moto box cause it doesn't have a ground....

component is the way I went but I'd like to try HDMI..I have a DVI.HDMI cable...any notible diff between the two?

What are the choices for Aspect ratio in the Moto box, what your doing doesn't sound right, put the HP in Auto or 16x9 and go to Box and try all. What does a 4x3 sd signal look like?
post #692 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubuck83 View Post

I have insight communications as a cable proviver. I just bought my new 4260n and got it all plugged in and low and behold. No sound through the hdmi cable. It works with sound if i set my hd cable box to 480p but not on 720p or 1080i witht the hdmi. Sound works fine with the componant calbes but i don't want to use those. I don't know if anyone has a solution for this or am i just screwed if i want to use the hdmi for my calbe box. If you have or had this problem please let me know asap. Otherwise i plan on calling hp customer support but i know owners are the real experts. Thank you so much for the help.


Yes I have the motorola DCT 6412 III as my cable box. I talked to Insight today and they had no clue what to do. I read that some people with commcast have had the same problem so i suppose it is my box then. Thank you everyone for the help. If you have any more ideas please let me know.
post #693 of 2219
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Bought the 5060 over a week ago and couldn't be happier. Fit, finish, and quality of picture image is outstanding. Living in Adelphia land (until Comcast takes over entirely) my new HD box (8300HD Scientific Atlantic) runs flawlessly over HDMI.

If someone could point out access to the service menu, or the manual I would appreciate it (not sure when my 100 hours is up). Can't wait for this weekend with NCAA football!
post #694 of 2219
HP PL4260N Service Menu
Turn the TV on
Press the MENU button and select "User OSD Menu"
Select "Audio", "Settings" and then "Balance".
Using the remote, press 9 ,1 ,8 & OK buttons.
NOTE: If necessary, re-enter the number keys, and then press OK on the remote control.

To exit, press 9 ,1 ,8 & 9 buttons on the remote
NOTE: If the character M appears on the screen, press the Menu button first.
post #695 of 2219
Hi,
FOX is not in HD in my location yet, and the football games in SD are horrible. What has been the best connections to use for SD channels?

Thanks!
post #696 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfokker View Post

Hi,
FOX is not in HD in my location yet, and the football games in SD are horrible. What has been the best connections to use for SD channels?

Thanks!

Try S-Video
post #697 of 2219
Hi All,

Just go my pl5060n last week and so far so good. Thanks to all for their great post making the purchase decision easier. However, few questions, if you could kindly reply

1. What is a better (or any different) in a VGA or DVI (HDMI adapter) connection.
I have my TV hooked up to my DEC currently with VGA

2. What is the ideal user settings for brightness, contrast, sharpness?

3. What does the phase adjust and clock adjust do? What would be the ideal settings?

4. Motion Blur - common problem or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance
post #698 of 2219
What is "DEC"? Your best settings should be as low as you can set contrast and brightness and still see a decent picture, this for first 100 to 200 hours, set sharpness way down near the end of the bar, saturation can be set wherever it looks best to you.
post #699 of 2219
Thanks dan...DEC = Digital Entertainment Center
post #700 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojuM3 View Post

Thanks dan...DEC = Digital Entertainment Center

Ok, I always refer to that as an "A/V" unit, I have heard that VGA is better, but I have never tried that. I have all my outputs from my Dish 622 going straight to my HP and have found that for me the Component works better then HDMI, but I can use HDMI when I want to use the TVs speakers and leave my A/V turned off. I don't run any video through my A/V. I don't know anything about that phase and clock adjustment, guess I will have to bone up on that. By the way I have the HP sevice manual and also a small file on how to get into the "Service Mode", if you want either, let me know.
post #701 of 2219
I see that the Phase and clock are used in the "PC" settings only, I have yet to get the cable and adapter to hook my pc up, not sure I want that as my pc monitor is right next to where I sit which is also where I sit to watch tv.
post #702 of 2219
Hi, I have a pl5060n and I've had it about a month and now I see a flashing/stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. Does anyone know HP's dead pixel policy ??

Thanks
Brian
post #703 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman1 View Post

Hi, I have a pl5060n and I've had it about a month and now I see a flashing/stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. Does anyone know HP's dead pixel policy ??

Thanks
Brian

You could call HP, n
but I doubt they will do anything about 1 pixel. You say it is both stuck and flashing?
post #704 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post

You could call HP, nut I doubt they will do anything about 1 pixel. You say it is both stuck and flashing?


It's kind of wierd. When the pixel shouldbe black it is and I cannot see any problem, but when it is supposed to be a lighter color it is red and tends to "flash". I cant determine if it "flashes" to blue or to the color it is supposed to be at that time.

I talked with HP Tech Support and they had me restart the TV, try a different input and try different cables - after trying everything we determined it was the TV. The Tech support guy has forwarded the problem to his supervisor and they are going to get back to me tonight with what they will do about it. I did want to know if anyone has heard from HP on what their Cell Policy is ?? In their guarantee they comment that screens are not 100% perfect and refer to their support site, but the site has no info on what they consider defective. I just did not want them to say it isn't covered then find they change the policy based on who answers the phone or something like that.

It is right in the middle of the screen and can be noticeable.

Thanks
Brian
post #705 of 2219
That is how I read the warranty, I doubt they will do any more then a service call, maybe they know of a way to get that pixel working. How close do you have to be to see that bad pixel?
post #706 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post

That is how I read the warranty, I doubt they will do any more then a service call, maybe they know of a way to get that pixel working. How close do you have to be to see that bad pixel?

I'm about 10 feet away.

Brian
post #707 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman1 View Post

I'm about 10 feet away.

Brian

You must have real good eyes to see a bad pixel from 10 feet away.
post #708 of 2219
to others..just another reason for buying a tv from Costco. They have quite a range of sets. Prices are not the lowest but the warranty is the greatest. A good peace of mind I would think. It is for me.
post #709 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan View Post

You must have real good eyes to see a bad pixel from 10 feet away.

Yes I have good eyes, plus the darned thing is flashing and it's in the center of the screen !!
post #710 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman1 View Post

Yes I have good eyes, plus the darned thing is flashing and it's in the center of the screen !!

If you have a break in cd or dvd, you might run that for a few hours.
post #711 of 2219
At the price that BB has the PL4260N I'm so very tempted to get that thing and replace my older Tosh 50H82.

I have a couple of quick questions though...if anyone can help me?

Currently we sit aprox 9 to 9.5' from our 50" RPTV...would moving down to a plasma that is only 42" be ok at that distance? I would love to stay at 50" but the like I said before the price goes up quite a bit from 42 to 50" in the plasmas.

Is the HP pretty reliable? I keep reading people recommending the Panny over the HP but at BB I thought both looked about even IMO.

Does the HP have some sort of stretch mode for reg. 4:3 TV viewing so you don't have to have black side bars?

Thanks in advance!!!!
post #712 of 2219
It has strech for 4x3, I,m at 9 feet from my 42" and it is fine, but a 50" would be better. The HP is a fine plasma as far as I am concerned.
post #713 of 2219
Tech question, I'm sure Dan has the answer

Here's my setup - I have HD Satellite DirectTV, with HDMI from the cable receiver to the t.v. for video - but my audio goes through my Sony HTIB/DVD player via component cables. I'm getting "HDMI audio unavailable" I'm assuming due to the above. Is there really much benefit in using HDMI audio? With my current setup - wouldn't I be better off just using a DVI cable from the receiver to the t.v. and using my HDMI from my upconverting DVD/HTIB to the t.v
post #714 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingsoles View Post

Tech question, I'm sure Dan has the answer

Here's my setup - I have HD Satellite DirectTV, with HDMI from the cable receiver to the t.v. for video - but my audio goes through my Sony HTIB/DVD player via component cables. I'm getting "HDMI audio unavailable" I'm assuming due to the above. Is there really much benefit in using HDMI audio? With my current setup - wouldn't I be better off just using a DVI cable from the receiver to the t.v. and using my HDMI from my upconverting DVD/HTIB to the t.v

You say Directv and Cable rec.? Your audio to Sony is what type cable? Without answers to these questions I can only suggest that on some cable and Sat boxes , only one output is active at one time, you might not be able to use HDMI and Component at the same time. Try component from sat (cable) box to TV, use HDMI from Sony to TV. For sound you might need to use RCAs red/white from box to TV. I assume that your Sony is a Home Theater type, if so you can run digital cable, toslink or Coax from Sat (cable) box to the Sony then you will have two choices to hear sound, Sony or TV if RCAs are connected from box to TV.
post #715 of 2219
Thanks Dan - I did what you recommended. Works fine! What I was eventually planningI was trying to figure a way to run HDMI from both DirectTV and upconverting DVD/HTIB. I see that it's not possible as I would have to either have to have two HDMI inputs to the t.v., or would need a manual switch. With the switch, since my audio runs through the DVD/HTIB - I couldn't have both audio/video through HDMI.

Thanks for your recommendations.
post #716 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingsoles View Post

Thanks Dan - I did what you recommended. Works fine! What I was eventually planningI was trying to figure a way to run HDMI from both DirectTV and upconverting DVD/HTIB. I see that it's not possible as I would have to either have to have two HDMI inputs to the t.v., or would need a manual switch. With the switch, since my audio runs through the DVD/HTIB - I couldn't have both audio/video through HDMI.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Your welcome, I think that you will find that component will look just as good as HDMI for HD.
post #717 of 2219
There is an endless discussion in this thread about accessing the service menu, but nothing so far as I can tell about what exactly you should do once you get there.

After looking at it, I can see that it offers controls for adjusting gray scale, offsets for the basic user adjustments, and a method for isolating the primary colors. For the most part these adjustments are pretty much useless unless you have equipment explicitly designed for measuring gray scale.

So what is the point of obtaining service menu access?
post #718 of 2219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

There is an endless discussion in this thread about accessing the service menu, but nothing so far as I can tell about what exactly you should do once you get there.

After looking at it, I can see that it offers controls for adjusting gray scale, offsets for the basic user adjustments, and a method for isolating the primary colors. For the most part these adjustments are pretty much useless unless you have equipment explicitly designed for measuring gray scale.

So what is the point of obtaining service menu access?

Maybe there is more info on using the service mode in the Service Manual.
post #719 of 2219
Quote:


Maybe there is more info on using the service mode in the Service Manual.

There isn't.
post #720 of 2219
Anybody using this panel (specifically the 42"er) for gaming? I've seen a couple of mentions in this thread, but no details.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › HP PL4260N and PL5060N Owners Thread