or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › How Do I Do An Image Revision Tweak On My Sony KF-50XBR800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How Do I Do An Image Revision Tweak On My Sony KF-50XBR800 - Page 2

post #31 of 62
I got on here tonight to find a fix for my ghosting problem on my almost 4yr old KF-60XBR800. I can't believe I found this thread so fast! I was so relieved to see that it's a common problem and easily fixed. Robbin thanks so much for the step by step instructions. I can't wait to fix my tv, the ghosting just started and is already driving me mad!
post #32 of 62
I recently fixed the ghosting problem on my GWII and grateful to everyone here. Is there any way to sharpen the pictures on this TV? The sharpness of the image is subpar with high quality DVD source. If there is a way to tweak the set other than ghosting image fix? And, the black image isn't really black, it's more like dark gray, any thoughts on fixing it?
post #33 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf800owner View Post

I recently fixed the ghosting problem on my GWII and grateful to everyone here. Is there any way to sharpen the pictures on this TV? The sharpness of the image is subpar with high quality DVD source. If there is a way to tweak the set other than ghosting image fix? And, the black image isn't really black, it's more like dark gray, any thoughts on fixing it?

3LCD sets have poor black levels. That's the nature of the technology. Check the "UMR does GWII" thread (you may need to go to the archive for some stuff) for tips on how to optimize the TV. There is a way to add a filter in front of the bulb that can help blacks/contrast. I never did it but many did with good results.

Or you can apply my "fix" -- the KDS-R70XBR2. Excellent black levels!
post #34 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

3LCD sets have poor black levels. That's the nature of the technology. Check the "UMR does GWII" thread (you may need to go to the archive for some stuff) for tips on how to optimize the TV. There is a way to add a filter in front of the bulb that can help blacks/contrast. I never did it but many did with good results.

Or you can apply my "fix" -- the KDS-R70XBR2. Excellent black levels!

I don't think I will do the filter change, it's beyond my comfort level... Would you point me to where your "fix" is? I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks
post #35 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf800owner View Post

I don't think I will do the filter change, it's beyond my comfort level... Would you point me to where your "fix" is? I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks

Click on the following link for my "fix:" Sony XBR SXRD 70" TV

If you are interested in a 60", you can get the cheaper "A" series SXRD and still have a darn good set.

Both have owner's threads that you can review for details.
post #36 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Click on the following link for my "fix:" Sony XBR SXRD 70" TV

If you are interested in a 60", you can get the cheaper "A" series SXRD and still have a darn good set.

Both have owner's threads that you can review for details.

I just bought this TV and not looking to buy another one anytime soon.
post #37 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaddy View Post

Hey guys,

I did this fix as well, I had a bad ghost shadow to the *left* of objects and the above fix worked like a charm.

For the most part it's gone, except when I put my Xbox in 720p, then there is a bad ghost shadow to the *right* of objects, and none of the "Category: D GM TG" adjustments made a difference.

Any ideas?

Change your xbox setting to 1080i, you ghosting problems will be gone. It worked for me.
post #38 of 62
Did the V pos D Tweak. Works great! I press mute, then enter. All is ok. However when I restart the TV. Ghosting is back! I changed 30 ~ 31. But after a few minutes - turn on the TV. And it always goes back to 30!!! I did the tweak 10 times or more. always works!, but does not appear to save! (I do not press the mute and enter botton at the same time) But I do save, pressing mute folowed by enter. Is there some knid of auto-correct feature I have to turn off or something? Any help would be Great. As a note: I am in Japan and my TV is called KL-50DX700 it seems to be similar to KP-60ws500. anyway, Sony service came and said I needed to change my LCD block etc... $700.00 or more they said! I started looking for a solution and found this tweak into the SM. Great! works great! Picture is fantastic again! But, please any help on permently saving!!!??? I would be very greatful!
post #39 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconlord View Post

But, please any help on permently saving!!!??? I would be very greatful!

If memory serves, when you press mute - enter, there is a indicator in the upper left corner of the screen that indicates that the settings are being saved. Are you seeing that? If you are then it should work. If you aren't seeing the indicator then you aren't pressing the keys correctly (too fast, too slow, etc.)
post #40 of 62
I don't know if anyone checks this thread anymore, but I wanted everyone to know that this is still valuable information. My 60XBR800 started showing some significant ghosting especially around text in SD (news banners, etc). I found this thread in about 30 seconds, spent 10 minutes performing the tweak, bumped 30 to 31 and now everything looks great! Saved me $300 bucks! Thanks!!

Damon
post #41 of 62
I found this thread first try. I too was ready to buy a new bulb. I followed RobinMerrit'sinstructions and it worked first time.

Thank You!!!!!

Jim
post #42 of 62
I'm glad the information is still useful!
post #43 of 62
Another happy XBR owner! Thanks so much Robin, you are the reason to have the internet.
post #44 of 62
So now that I've fixed my ghosting, how do I get rid of the faint green tinge on everything?
post #45 of 62
Sounds like it could be the Optical Block. If you haven't found it yet. Read this thread starting about 3/4's the way down.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...349103&page=10
post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

1. Power off -- let bulb cool.
2. Display - 5 - VOL+ - Power (in quick sequence) to display service menu.
3. Go into the user menu and set auto revision back to auto.
4. Put an image on the screen that shows the problem. I always found the edges of a 4:3 aspect ratio signal displayed the ghosting very well on my set.
5. Use 2 to scroll through the categories to find D GM TG
6. Use 1 to scroll through items in D GM TG to find V POS D
7. Write down current value.
9. Use 3 and 6 to change the value to minimize the ghosting. You should only need to move it up or down a value or two.
10. Press Mute - Enter to save the changes.
11. Power off and let the bulb cool.

Thank you very much. This fixed the horrible ghosting I had on my otherwise beautiful KF60DX100. My TV looks like new again.

I did much searching and purchased instructions from another web site that I couldn't make heads or tails out of. Luckily I found this thread. Your simple steps made the job very easy.
post #47 of 62
Any chance you know how to do this without a remote? We got this TV used but weren't given a remote. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Nothing I've read in this forum would suggest your problem is related to the bulb. You've probably already seen UMR's most recent comments on this -- and that most every GW II needs this tweak at some point.

If you are careful, everything should be fine. The issue is that if you accidently change another setting, save it, and don't know what you did, plan on calling your friendly ISF calibrater to fix it for you.

Here is what I did to mine:

1. Power off -- let bulb cool.
2. Display - 5 - VOL+ - Power (in quick sequence) to display service menu.
3. Go into the user menu and set auto revision back to auto.
4. Put an image on the screen that shows the problem. I always found the edges of a 4:3 aspect ratio signal displayed the ghosting very well on my set.
5. Use 2 to scroll through the categories to find D GM TG
6. Use 1 to scroll through items in D GM TG to find V POS D
7. Write down current value.
9. Use 3 and 6 to change the value to minimize the ghosting. You should only need to move it up or down a value or two.
10. Press Mute - Enter to save the changes.
11. Power off and let the bulb cool.

Done!

Thank You!

I have been living with a red ghosting for 9 years on my kf60dx100. I just got to this post tonight and fixed it! My picture has never looked better than it does now. Great instructions!!!
post #49 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post
Nothing I've read in this forum would suggest your problem is related to the bulb. You've probably already seen UMR's most recent comments on this -- and that most every GW II needs this tweak at some point.

If you are careful, everything should be fine. The issue is that if you accidently change another setting, save it, and don't know what you did, plan on calling your friendly ISF calibrater to fix it for you.

Here is what I did to mine:

1. Power off -- let bulb cool.
2. Display - 5 - VOL+ - Power (in quick sequence) to display service menu.
3. Go into the user menu and set auto revision back to auto.
4. Put an image on the screen that shows the problem. I always found the edges of a 4:3 aspect ratio signal displayed the ghosting very well on my set.
5. Use 2 to scroll through the categories to find D GM TG
6. Use 1 to scroll through items in D GM TG to find V POS D
7. Write down current value.
9. Use 3 and 6 to change the value to minimize the ghosting. You should only need to move it up or down a value or two.
10. Press Mute - Enter to save the changes.
11. Power off and let the bulb cool.

Done!
Thanks a ton to RobbinMerritt for the step-by-step tips to correct the ghost image! It worked perfectly to correct my Sony KF-50XBR800. I just needed to press 3 once and the yellow ghost was gone like magic! RobbinMerrit - you saved my TV - even 4 after you posted this solution.
post #50 of 62
I was getting ghosting on my 10 year old KF-60XBR800. Tried the image revision from the manual but did nothing. I used the RobbinMerritt fix to change setting from 30 to 31 and the ghost is gone.
post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbegotka View Post

I was getting ghosting on my 10 year old KF-60XBR800. Tried the image revision from the manual but did nothing. I used the RobbinMerritt fix to change setting from 30 to 31 and the ghost is gone.

It's amazing these sets are still going strong. My old set is now in it's third house -- still on it's second lamp.
post #52 of 62
I just found this thread I just hooked up my old xbr800 60" after many years of previous use I never had the ghosting problem. Did the tweat looks great now. I have over 14,000 hours on original bulb still going.
post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbinMerritt View Post

Nothing I've read in this forum would suggest your problem is related to the bulb. You've probably already seen UMR's most recent comments on this -- and that most every GW II needs this tweak at some point.

If you are careful, everything should be fine. The issue is that if you accidently change another setting, save it, and don't know what you did, plan on calling your friendly ISF calibrater to fix it for you.

Here is what I did to mine:

1. Power off -- let bulb cool.
2. Display - 5 - VOL+ - Power (in quick sequence) to display service menu.
3. Go into the user menu and set auto revision back to auto.
4. Put an image on the screen that shows the problem. I always found the edges of a 4:3 aspect ratio signal displayed the ghosting very well on my set.
5. Use 2 to scroll through the categories to find D GM TG
6. Use 1 to scroll through items in D GM TG to find V POS D
7. Write down current value.
9. Use 3 and 6 to change the value to minimize the ghosting. You should only need to move it up or down a value or two.
10. Press Mute - Enter to save the changes.
11. Power off and let the bulb cool.

Done!

Hi, I have a KF-60XBR800 with the ghosting problem as well. I want to make the above adjustment but not sure about step 3. How do you go into the user menu? I must be missing something. I also scrolled through the categories and didn't see D GM TG anywhere...

Thank you for the help in advance!
SG
post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg69 View Post

Hi, I have a KF-60XBR800 with the ghosting problem as well. I want to make the above adjustment but not sure about step 3. How do you go into the user menu? I must be missing something. I also scrolled through the categories and didn't see D GM TG anywhere...

Thank you for the help in advance!
SG

You need to be in the service menu which is step #2. It's a picky set of steps, I suggest trying again, taking care on what buttons you are pressing.
post #55 of 62
Got it... Fixed the ghosting problem, replaced bulb after 17,792 hours and reset lamp timer. Good as new again. Connected to my computer and downloaded some test patterns and everything looks pretty great except for the phase adjustment. Is it really difficult to make more detailed adjustments? I have a service manual but it's not that easy to use...

Thanks again,
SG
post #56 of 62
I recently replaced the bulb on my 60XBR800 (this is the 3rd, two lasted 8 yrs) and in searching the web found the AVS forum and a thread on fixing the ghosting. I made the initial change pretty easily, but was frustrated as the change wouldn't seem to save, even though when I pressed "mute" the TV displayed "write". In finding "this particular thread" and re-reading the instructions I see that "enter" is after the "mute", before the power off. Somehow I missed that before so when I get home I'm gonna try that. I'm SO glad to know what I was missing!!

I'm curious if there is a concise summary of the UMR or other recommended tweaks to improve PQ or if I just have to pour over that previous 58 page thread and look for those related to using the DVI/input 7?

In any case, thanks to all those who have been kind enough going before to post so much great information. And cheers to those of us still enjoying the XBR series TV's, despite no HDMI - DVI and a Receiver works. Jeff
post #57 of 62
Thanks RobbinMerrit for posting that easy fix for the "Ghost Imaging Issue" on the Sony GW XBR LCD Proj TV. I've owned my SONY GW XBR800 60'' since 6/03 and your easy fix has allowed me to continue enjoying it. Thanks again!!!
post #58 of 62
guys I did this and initially it worked awesome!!! and within a week my tv will shut off after 10m of use
blink red standby light for a 1-2m
Then turn back on for a while
Then shut off in a vicious cycle.
I tried to restore the setting back to default without any luck.
I am running my original bulb from approx 2004.
My tech said its likely the board overheating And causing the unit to go into a safe mode... He said its probably about $300 to fix and changing the bulb won't help If the board had issues
Is there a factory reset or anything I can try?
I have the Sony KF60xbr800 with approx 13,840 hours.

Attachment 248268
LL
post #59 of 62
Hey all, just a HUGE thank you. I have had the Sony Grand Wega KF-60XBR800 TV since December 2002, spent over $4000 for the 60" unit, and still have UMR's tweeks printed out along w/ the TV's user manual. My wife was pretty insistent on us purchasing a new TV, but this TV's picture is so good that I didn't want it to go in the trash for something that I was preying would be fixable. I had purchased a new lamp about 7 months ago, but it didn't fix the issue (so I put the original lamp back in). The green ghosting had gotten worse and more noticeable over the past year. I gave a last effort before committing to purchasing a new TV and googled Sony KF-60XBR800 green and this thread came up. I followed the instructions by RobbinMerritt and within five minutes, my TV is looking as good as new - I can't believe it!
I've had this TV for ten years, have not yet needed to replace the lamp, and it's now looking just like when I first purchased it. This is a great Christmas gift and it didn't cost any money so... THANK YOU.
post #60 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Walder View Post

Hey all, just a HUGE thank you. I have had the Sony Grand Wega KF-60XBR800 TV since December 2002, spent over $4000 for the 60" unit, and still have UMR's tweeks printed out along w/ the TV's user manual. My wife was pretty insistent on us purchasing a new TV, but this TV's picture is so good that I didn't want it to go in the trash for something that I was preying would be fixable. I had purchased a new lamp about 7 months ago, but it didn't fix the issue (so I put the original lamp back in). The green ghosting had gotten worse and more noticeable over the past year. I gave a last effort before committing to purchasing a new TV and googled Sony KF-60XBR800 green and this thread came up. I followed the instructions by RobbinMerritt and within five minutes, my TV is looking as good as new - I can't believe it!
I've had this TV for ten years, have not yet needed to replace the lamp, and it's now looking just like when I first purchased it. This is a great Christmas gift and it didn't cost any money so... THANK YOU.

6 Years later, it's the thread that keeps on giving!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › How Do I Do An Image Revision Tweak On My Sony KF-50XBR800