or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › The Official: We HATE SILVER BEZEL'S Thread,,,, Please Read !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official: We HATE SILVER BEZEL'S Thread,,,, Please Read !!! - Page 4  

post #91 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNero
Hmmmm. Not sure what you mean about "noise", Elemental. There are a couple things that I noticed though. 1. Sometimes white "sparklies". I see that someone else reported that issue in the tweaking thread and I posted about it there. I don't see them often, and when I did notice them it was during the same show. Not sure if it's a signal problem, or what.

2. "Gradiations" in darkness in certain scenes For example, the other night I saw a shot of a full moon against a black sky. The light from the moon against the sky was "stepped", kinda like circles of brighter color near the moon, and as you moved further away from the moon you'd see rings of white moving to grey, then eventually black. Not a smooth/seemless transition from light to dark (I never noticed this on my old CRT... I think this is a "plasma thing").

I should say that as far as a fine-quality HDTV broadcast is concerned, I see no flaws period and I really look for them. . Absolutely flawless... stunning. Unfortunately though, I've learned that not all HD broadcasts are of fine quality, even if in so-called "1080i".
----------

1. The sparkles are probably cable/connection noise. You should be able to fix this either by using better cables, checking your connections from the STB to the display or using a good component connection (where this seems to be less prevelant than HDMI). I don't believe the display itself can do much about the sparkles.

2. The gradation is a display problem. I believe you can address this through calibration - adjusting brightness and contrast. Will it go away completely? probably no. This is one area where the commercial Pannys have an advantage over the consumer sets, in being able to fine tune a picture. I believe the Pannys (and the NEC) claim to have the highest number of gradation, so theroetically you should have the smoothest gradation when compared to other plasmas. However, if this is what happens in reality, I don't know.
post #92 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionary
I'm back because I think it bears repeating: I HATE SILVER BEZELS!

And DNero: there's nothing immature about demanding that manufacturers deliver products that meet consumer expectations. If they want us to buy them, they want us to like them. Whether you think it is a waste of time or not. ;)
The problem is people are buying them, in huge numbers. In the best buy in atlanta they are already backorderd on the 60u's, and while they were in stock, 3/4 plasmas sold were the new panny's. We can rant and rave all we won't but as long as Panasonic keeps selling these out, they probably will not change them. Sales figures mean hold a ton more stock than message boards and E-mails. Unfortunately, we are not the majority.
post #93 of 116
You underestimate the cathartic value of ranting and raving. :) It feels good to air frustration, even if nothing will come of it.
post #94 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggle
The problem is people are buying them, in huge numbers. In the best buy in atlanta they are already backorderd on the 60u's, and while they were in stock, 3/4 plasmas sold were the new panny's. We can rant and rave all we won't but as long as Panasonic keeps selling these out, they probably will not change them. Sales figures mean hold a ton more stock than message boards and E-mails. Unfortunately, we are not the majority.
Yes, the silver Pannys are selling big time, but its not because of the silver bezels, its cuz the Pannys have such a great picture and really good prices. I would venture to say that most folks view the silver bezel as the downside to buying a Panny plasma.
I have a friend that works at a local B&M and he's told me that almost everyone that comes in looking for a plasma always notices the one commercial Panny plasma in the store (for store use only and not for sale) and they ask about it saying how much they like the thin black frame.
He then has to tell the customers that its not for sale and its a commercial panel.
Like I said, he tells he gets asked about that panel all day long.

In this thread it would seem like the majority of posters seem to be saying they dont like the silver as well.
I would disagree that we silver haters are not the majority.

I would also use Sony as an example, they made those ugly silver RPTV's with the big dumbo ears and they were flooded with complaints about the design.
Rumor has it that they got rid of the big dumbo ears because of all the complaints.

Davyo
post #95 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo
Yes, the silver Pannys are selling big time, but its not because of the silver bezels, its cuz the Pannys have such a great picture and really good prices. I would venture to say that most folks view the silver bezel as the downside to buying a Panny plasma.
I have a friend that works at a local B&M and he's told me that almost everyone that comes in looking for a plasma always notices the one commercial Panny plasma in the store (for store use only and not for sale) and they ask about it saying how much they like the thin black frame.
He then has to tell the customers that its not for sale and its a commercial panel.
Like I said, he tells he gets asked about that panel all day long.

In this thread it would seem like the majority of posters seem to be saying they dont like the silver as well.
I would disagree that we silver haters are not the majority.

I would also use Sony as an example, they made those ugly silver RPTV's with the big dumbo ears and they were flooded with complaints about the design.
Rumor has it that they got rid of the big dumbo ears because of all the complaints.

Davyo
Don't get me wrong complaints can be very effective when coupled with stagnant sales. But just complaints alone will not effect the decision. Panasonic is having record growth right now with their plasma sales, there really is not a close second in terms of sales numbers. They are selling more now than they did last year, and when the 600's come out expect more of the same.

Sony is a bad example, in the last 5 years they have done a total restructuring of the company. They are no longer the dominant player they used to be in the electronics market. I cannot comment on the RPTV's alone b/c I do not know much about that specific example. I do know that they have had major problems with their company recently and have been FORCED to make a lot of changes. I do not doubt that that was the reason b/c when a company needs to restructure it's business model one of the 1st three steps is to listen to the consumer.

Unfortunately, panasonic is not at all in the same situation though.

For the record I don't like the silver bezel and I did e-mail panasonic. (before this e-mail)
post #96 of 116
Here is my application for joining “We Hate Silver Bezel†club. ;)

I own commercial Pany and it’s looks were one of the major factors in my decision to purchase it.
:D
post #97 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNero
LOL!!!. . . GET OVER IT AND GROW UP!!! LOL!!!
By "growing up" I assume you mean we should adopt the parigidm that the corporpations know what's best when they offer us these wonderful opportunities to spend our money and we should just be complacent and thankful. I disagree.

I too think the silver bezels are a distraction at best. I am preparing to spend about four grand on a TV and would certainly not sacrifice picture quality for a flat black (don't like the "piano black" glossyness either) bezel. But if the PQ was similar for two sets, appearance would be an issue.

I haven't read all the posts in this forum, I got to yours and felt compelled to respond. But I hope the point of the thread is to actually pester the companies. If enough folks do, they will respond with at least a choice (at least one of the new Bravia series comes with three choices) in bezel colors.

I aggree that painting the bezel is kinda of silly, too much work masking off the screen. I'd probably just take a Magic Marker to mine.

Byrne (quite growed up, BTW)
post #98 of 116
No. The industry trend is black and silver now. We (the silver haters club) do not decide on these trends and the industry selected black and silver for good reasons. I'm not saying be complacent and thankful at all.

Byrne, a Sharpie?! LOL!

I totally agree with your second paragraph, btw.
post #99 of 116
I hate silver. Black & thin is what I am looking for. I won't buy a silver bevel. Does anyone have a list of thin black bevel lcd/plasams @ 40-46". One w/o speakers or that has speakers that can be removed. What is my best option for SD D*TV?
post #100 of 116
Say what you will, but personally I buy a TV for the PICTURE. I could give a crap if it is silver, or black. This is not where I will fight my battle. I have a black sharp LCD and all of my other equipment (including the center channel of my yamaha surround sound sitting right in front of the tv stand) is silver. Nobody has come into my place and said "why the hell is your tv black and everything else silver?" If they did i would slap them, LOL. That is all.
post #101 of 116
For painting non-black items I use some flat black stove paint. it sprays nice and thin and dries quick.
Works great!
post #102 of 116
I prefer thin black bezels but can understand that people have different tastes (hear that Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, all the others). Give the consumers a choice and let us decide. Then you'll see what the masses want...
post #103 of 116
I think the consumer Panny models are ugly, but it isn't simply because they are silver. In fact, the best looking set is the 42" ED imho, and that set is all silver.

The very best looking bezels are found on the B&O (Bang and Olufsen) plasmas. The have simple brushed aluminum frames in silver, dark silver, red and blue. Perhaps the best solution would be to buy a commercial Panny and relace the bezel with one from B&O. Seeing that B&O uses (or used) Panny plasmas, does anyone know whether the bezel switch is possible? I've heard that the B&O's even accept panny cards, so it may be an easy swap.
post #104 of 116
One of the selling points in the latest Fujitsu ads is that you can get their plasmas with a black or silver bezel. Yippee! (Now, Fujitsu, work on lowering your prices.)
post #105 of 116
Very true. I like the Fuji black bezel, but the B&O bezel is much nicer and I think I prefer the Panny panels, although it is close. I actually liked the Fuji bezel better before I touched it. The Fuji certainly has a cheap plastic feel.
post #106 of 116
whilst I'm a big fan of the shiny black "Urushi" finish bezel on my Pioneer I'm not a big fan of the size of it. it looks like a big ass picture frame or something.
and the worst part about it was my Pioneer came with a silver stand! cost me $50 on ebay just to replace it with an urushi black Elite line stand.
so I'm almost all black (like the 2006 Pioneers) but behind the bezel theres still silver trim along the edge! oh well.... I guess it matches the silver face on my media receiver and my gigantic silver remote... :cool:

edit: oh yeah and I could have sworn like 5 years ago the Pioneer plasmas just had a thin, charcoal bezel around the screen... we're talking like 1" thin... and when it was time to buy my TV a few months ago (I swear I hadn't looked at plasma TV's in years prior to that) I was kind of surprised by the big thick shiny black frame. oh frickin well :rolleyes:
post #107 of 116
Gentlemen: You really need to think more productivly than spending your time reading this thread. There are companies which make custom bezels for many, many plasmas that come in a rainbow of colors (inclusing the B&O brushed stainless look). I have seent hese companies listed in the forums in the past.

As far as Black goes, the look of black as a part of trends in the home furnishing industry went out with the black leather sofa many, many years ago. The market for that remains the college or post college male.

I suspect that some of you have considered that the Panasonic success may in part be due to the female population contributing to the decision as they will rarely select black for the interior of a home (although they will wear black clothes to make themselves appear slimmer).

By the way, the only reason I read this tonight is that there were 4 pages on this ridiculous topic. I have no plans to visit this one again.
post #108 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri
Gentlemen: You really need to think more productivly than spending your time reading this thread. There are companies which make custom bezels for many, many plasmas that come in a rainbow of colors (inclusing the B&O brushed stainless look). I have seent hese companies listed in the forums in the past.

As far as Black goes, the look of black as a part of trends in the home furnishing industry went out with the black leather sofa many, many years ago. The market for that remains the college or post college male.

I suspect that some of you have considered that the Panasonic success may in part be due to the female population contributing to the decision as they will rarely select black for the interior of a home (although they will wear black clothes to make themselves appear slimmer).

By the way, the only reason I read this tonight is that there were 4 pages on this ridiculous topic. I have no plans to visit this one again.
I agree re: black however, as an owner of a silver bezeled PDP (I personally like the look) after watching movies on a friend's Panasonic PDP I decided that I prefer the black bezel because it is less distracting. This is the only reason though. When the screen is off I prefer the silver bezel.
post #109 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri

I suspect that some of you have considered that the Panasonic success may in part be due to the female population contributing to the decision as they will rarely select black for the interior of a home (although they will wear black clothes to make themselves appear slimmer).
Ooo boy,

Now how I would love to watch a thin and sexy, black bezeled plasma with a thin and sexy black dressed woman :p
post #110 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri
Gentlemen: You really need to think more productivly than spending your time reading this thread. There are companies which make custom bezels for many, many plasmas that come in a rainbow of colors (inclusing the B&O brushed stainless look). I have seent hese companies listed in the forums in the past.

As far as Black goes, the look of black as a part of trends in the home furnishing industry went out with the black leather sofa many, many years ago. The market for that remains the college or post college male.

I suspect that some of you have considered that the Panasonic success may in part be due to the female population contributing to the decision as they will rarely select black for the interior of a home (although they will wear black clothes to make themselves appear slimmer).

By the way, the only reason I read this tonight is that there were 4 pages on this ridiculous topic. I have no plans to visit this one again.
for as much as you claim to know about interior design you should have more of an eye for color but I guess you don't.
a 50" plasma TV mounted on the wall with a thin black bezel matches anything... not just black leather sofas. its all about accents. I have a sage colored sofa/love seat with black legs that match my birch entertainment center and black A/V components perfectly.
only a white trash hick would think a silver set would match their home decor PERFECTLY :rolleyes:
anyone that knows anything knows silver screams CHEAP and is quickly on its way out in the electronic industry. just look at how many point-and-shoot digital cameras are available in black models this year...
post #111 of 116
[Gentlemen: You really need to think more productivly than spending your time reading this thread. There are companies which make custom bezels for many, many plasmas that come in a rainbow of colors (inclusing the B&O brushed stainless look). I have seent hese companies listed in the forums in the past.]

If you are aware of a company that makes a bezel like the B&O brushed aluminum look, please post a link.
post #112 of 116
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkouri
Gentlemen: You really need to think more productivly than spending your time reading this thread.

By the way, the only reason I read this tonight is that there were 4 pages on this ridiculous topic. I have no plans to visit this one again.

As the starter of this ridiculous thread and the thread topic, I must make comment.

When one go's into the clothing store does one just walk in and say "I wear a size large, just give me anything you have in a size large, I don't care about the color or what the clothes look like, just give me whatever color you want and whatever color you feel like selling me.

Does one do the same when one buy's a new car as well, just walk into the lot and say heres my money give me the car, I don't care what color or model it is, just give me whatever KIA you feel like giving me.
If this is the way a person shop's and make purchase's then I guess this thread is ridiculous and a waste of time to that person.

Most of us don't shop or purchase that way.
When Im spending 5 grand on a plasma I want it to look good in every way, when its On "and" when its Off.

If one was to say it is not productive and its a waste of time to voice your opinion that would be complacent at the very least.

AVS is not some secret unknow site on the internet, there is a pretty good chance that the manufactures of allot of these plasma's visit this website so they can see how we the consumers feel about their products.

Companys go on the feedback they get from consumers on their products to make their products better and sell more,,, and perhaps change the color.

To say this thread is a waste of time and non-productive is in fact non-productive and a waste of time to say that,,,, ( hope that made sense).


Davyo
post #113 of 116
For starters, your absolutely right that silver flat out sucks. However, I believe that the ultra-glossy (super-reflective) black that many companies use, is only 1/2 a point better :-(

When are these companies (and consumers) ever going to realize that a great TV is one that allows a great picture to jump out at you, and for the set itself, to disapeer into the back ground ???

I'm sitting here looking at a Samsung 19" LCD monitor, wich has a thin (3/4") ultra-flat black border. No fancy angles. Nothing reflective, or distracting.... Just as boring as it could possibly be......
And geeeez, how I long for a 46" 1080P LCD, with the same exact styling !!! However, I'll probably have to "settle" on some glossy crap, because the manufacturers are not giving me any other choice in the matter :-(
Really sucks when you spend several thousand dollars on something, and are not given any styling choices which you like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But now Davyo, you said > When Im spending 5 grand on a plasma I want it to look good in every way, when its On "and" when its Off.

A plasma ??? I hate plasmas for the same reason I hate silver or glossy black bezels...... distaction / glare..... Only thing is, now instead of that distraction coming at you from 'around the picture', its coming at you straight from the screen ! Of course you can always put aluminum foil on your windows....
Oh, also from a personal standpoint, I don't care what my TV looks like when its turned off. I will only look at it when its turned on.

But anyway, yes, Silver sucks.

Peace,
Fish
post #114 of 116
http://www.trophybassonly.com/f0d7a010.jpg

It's funny..... I first tried to take a photo of my monitor 'without flash', and with it turned on..... and all you could see was the picture..... Ha ! Imagine that :-)

Anyway, I don't ever turn my PC or monitor off, so aside from the time I took this photo, and 1 or 2 brief power failures, all I ever see in this part of the room, is a bright, colorful, non-glaring picture...... The same thing I long for in a big flat panel LCD TV.

Fish
post #115 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb001
If you are aware of a company that makes a bezel like the B&O brushed aluminum look, please post a link.
Take your pick, its as close as it gets:


http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...asma&stepId=10
post #116 of 116
Thanks. Unfortunately the Panny "frames" are not close to the B&O, but appear to be decent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › The Official: We HATE SILVER BEZEL'S Thread,,,, Please Read !!!