or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD FAQ: Link and Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD FAQ: Link and Discussion thread - Page 6

post #151 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux View Post

In the setup menu under maintenance there is an item called "Persistent Storage".

On a separate sheet included with my player it says, "The Persistent Storage menu allows you to control the player's memory allocated for content".

What does that mean?


Tried to go there, but it couldn't identify the drive 'undefined.' So there was nothing to allocate. Has anyone actually spoken with a Toshiba tech person?
post #152 of 753
Anyone have a problem with Apollo 13 freezing a couple of times?

It was a rental from Netflix, so that could be the reason..
post #153 of 753
Bought it and played fine the first time through. Then the second time I watched I had all kinds of freezes, and had to reboot twice. Great PQ, though. Just bought the harmony, as i think the Tosh remote may be implicated in some of the problens.
post #154 of 753
Where are the friggin' picture controls? You mean we can't even control brightness, contrast, and gamma at least? Or are these controls right in front of my face and I'm missing them?
post #155 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Anyone have a problem with Apollo 13 freezing a couple of times?

It was a rental from Netflix, so that could be the reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post

Bought it and played fine the first time through. Then the second time I watched I had all kinds of freezes, and had to reboot twice. Great PQ, though. Just bought the harmony, as i think the Tosh remote may be implicated in some of the problens.

It's likely to be a dirty disc. Try giving it a wipe with something soft like a lens cloth.

I had one freeze on TLS, that was in the same place and repeatable. I wiped off a spot I saw on the disc and it never happened again. Haven't had any trouble with my other discs.
post #156 of 753
Can someone comment on 2.35:1 and the A1 (maybe it could be included in the FAQ) - I was all set to jump on the bandwagon over there then saw the comments about the A1 not supporting it. Is this an A1 thing or an HD-DVD thing? What exactly doesn't it support? Could I still zoom my projector out to fill a 2.35:1 screen and have a great picture?

Thanks!
post #157 of 753
/rdjam, thanks for the suggestion..i never even thought of wiping it off, assuming a movie like hd-Apollo 13 wouldnt have had that much use so soon, but all it takes is some fool putting his fingers on the disk to cause a problem..

/Bob Sorel, I havent been able to find any picture controlls either, so I assume you adjust your Monitor insted of the DVD player;

/b-florida, I haven't had any problems viewing any 2:31 disks on this thing, but I havent tried to "stretch" a 2.35:1 movie out yet. I would assume it depends more on how the MOVIE is encoded vs. what the player might not have done...
post #158 of 753
7.1 audio ?

i have a 7.1 speaker setup, with a rotel RSP1098 processor and 7-channel digital rotel amp...

now, i've connected the 5.1 analog out to the 5.1 input on the processor.
After switching the surround processor to "discrete input" i get 5.1 sound, but there is no way to "activate" the surround back speakers.

Am i correct that the A1 is actually missing the "surround back" analog outs ?
Or will the hdmi audio output do 7.1 ?
Or is is a processor issue, that the discreet analog input can only do 5.1 and is not able to "drive" the surround-back speakers ?

I'll play around with it more tomorrow, but if somebody has more information please let me know. and i guess this is something to add to the FAQ...

Greetings,

dasithlord
post #159 of 753
I too have a 7.1 set up, and was wondering how to get the back 2 speakers to work that way..

For now, I am using a Toslink cable connecting digitally, and enjoying DTS sound, which, DOES send a signal to my rear back speakers....
post #160 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasithlord View Post

Am i correct that the A1 is actually missing the "surround back" analog outs ?
Or will the hdmi audio output do 7.1 ?

5.1 analog is what you were offered, and 5.1 analog is all that you get. You can get the full bitstream for audio off of the disc (mostly) for transfer to a receiver, but no current receivers decode DD+ or TrueHD.

Folks, it is TrueHD - not TruHD.

Later,
Bill
post #161 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasithlord View Post

7.1 audio ?

Am i correct that the A1 is actually missing the "surround back" analog outs ?
Or will the hdmi audio output do 7.1 ?
Or is is a processor issue, that the discreet analog input can only do 5.1 and is not able to "drive" the surround-back speakers?

The audio decoded internally by the HD-A1 and XA1 is output as 5.1 channel only whether sent as PCM over HDMI, analog or DTS. The only way to get sound out of the rear speakers is to use a processing mode in the receiver which will create it from the 5.1 channels. I saw some reports in these forums of people getting this to work, but I don't remember the details. It will depend on what type of processing your receiver can apply to the input you are using. Most will not do any processing on analog inputs.
post #162 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenga13 View Post

I am the proud owner of the DVD S97 and the HD-A1, I can say with no hesitation that the HD-A1 blows the DVD- S97 out of the water (sorry old girl, we got to put 'ya down!) I watched a few S97 staples yesterday and was pleasantly suprised. Master and Commander looked better than the best setting on the S97 when played through the HD-A1, Obviously the authoring of the DVD is intrinsically going to have MB, but the HD-A1 really cleaned it up a lot, the scene with the anchor during the first "duet" still was unappealing but better than I have previously seen it. The SW Episode III has absolutely NEVER EVER been as crisp and clean (execept on opening night at the digital theatre)... can't wait for either on HD-DVD now! Hope this helps, PM me with any other questions.

yeah I second this. I thought I was the only one that saw a big improvement over the S97 don't know what I'm gonna do with the S97 now ...
post #163 of 753
thanks for your answers...

luckily, this seems to be a thing for the rotel... i have a Marantz SR9600 receiver that should take the 5.1 from HDMI and then be able to "create" the extra surround back channels perfectly.

i will know for sure next week, and will let you guys know.
My guess is also that it depends on the processor receiver... some will do 7.1 from an analog / digital 5.1 source and some won't.

All the best,

dasithlord
post #164 of 753
Question regarding the Analog 5.1 outputs of the Toshiba HD-A1..... I'm running them into my Pioneer VSX-59Txi which has THX Ultra 2 Processing and Advanced MCACC.... There is a section on the Toshiba set-up menu which allows you to set the speaker size, distance, level and subwoofer cross-over..... I set the speaker size to "Large" the distance to "0" and the level at "0"... I also set the sub to "120"... Doesn't my Pioneer VSX-59TXi already have the levels and speaker distance set when THX Processing is applied? Help!
post #165 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbranek001 View Post

Question regarding the Analog 5.1 outputs of the Toshiba HD-A1..... I'm running them into my Pioneer VSX-59Txi which has THX Ultra 2 Processing and Advanced MCACC.... There is a section on the Toshiba set-up menu which allows you to set the speaker size, distance, level and subwoofer cross-over..... I set the speaker size to "Large" the distance to "0" and the level at "0"... I also set the sub to "120"... Doesn't my Pioneer VSX-59TXi already have the levels and speaker distance set when THX Processing is applied? Help!

I use totally different settings. My speaker sizes are "Small," so that the subwoofer does the work it was designed to do. I set the subwoofer to 80 Hz, which is the standard setting. I set distances based on measurements in feet from my speakers to my favorite "sweet spot." I use a Radio Shack sound meter, set to A weighting and Slow response, to adjust each speaker level, with the exception that I use the C weighting for my subwoofer. This combination of settings works well on the 5 HD-DVDs I've played so far.
post #166 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-florida View Post

Can someone comment on 2.35:1 and the A1 (maybe it could be included in the FAQ) - I was all set to jump on the bandwagon over there then saw the comments about the A1 not supporting it. Is this an A1 thing or an HD-DVD thing? What exactly doesn't it support? Could I still zoom my projector out to fill a 2.35:1 screen and have a great picture?

Thanks!

Absolutely! This is the exact setup I have, 2.35:1 fills the screen and 1.78:1 is pillar boxed. HD-DVD works the same as DVD wrt AR.
post #167 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabb7 View Post

yeah I second this. I thought I was the only one that saw a big improvement over the S97 don't know what I'm gonna do with the S97 now ...

Me three! For now I still need the S97 for DVD-Audio though .
post #168 of 753
I have an Oppo now. How does the A1 compare in up-converting standard DVD's?
post #169 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Deaf View Post

I have an Oppo now. How does the A1 compare in up-converting standard DVD's?

My experience with the two have them close with the A1 getting the nod overall. The Oppo stays in the rack for audio, like Hawkeye 3.1 just stated.
post #170 of 753
Hi, I had this player for a week. I got furstrated at the lack of capabilities of this player at this price tag. It would not play any mpeg, jpeg, divx files .... just could not get them to play.
It takes to long to start playing a DVD.
I put a DVD-R burned with Nero ... it recognize the DVD as a CD media. At this point I could not eject the media or do anything with it... until I upluged the player to have it reset, at this point I was able to eject the DVD inserted.
Internet connection and functionality S@#KS.
Picture quality is ok...nothing great for the upconvert to 1080i attached to an Optoma H78DC3 projector.
The Fan is too noisy.
The remote lacks back light .. unable to see the buttons in the dark.
Lacks pictures controlles that cheaper DVD players have .. yes I know this is an HD player .. ....
I have a LDA-531 player ... for now I will keep this player until the Samsung HD 960 or HD 1080 comes out. Once they are out .. I will give a them a try to see how they look.

Until they come up with new firmware version to address these issues .. I would not recommend buying this garbage.
post #171 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post

Hi, I had this player for a week. I got furstrated at the lack of capabilities of this player at this price tag. It would not play any mpeg, jpeg, divx files .... just could not get them to play.
It takes to long to start playing a DVD.
I put a DVD-R burned with Nero ... it recognize the DVD as a CD media. At this point I could not eject the media or do anything with it... until I upluged the player to have it reset, at this point I was able to eject the DVD inserted.
Internet connection and functionality S@#KS.
Picture quality is ok...nothing great for the upconvert to 1080i attached to an Optoma H78DC3 projector.
The Fan is too noisy.
The remote lacks back light .. unable to see the buttons in the dark.
Lacks pictures controlles that cheaper DVD players have .. yes I know this is an HD player .. ....
I have a LDA-531 player ... for now I will keep this player until the Samsung HD 960 or HD 1080 comes out. Once they are out .. I will give a them a try to see how they look.

Until they come up with new firmware version to address these issues .. I would not recommend buying this garbage.

The player doesn't support playback of mpeg, jpeg, divx files so no surprise there they don't work. The player does however support playback of mp3 and wma files on CD-R or CD-RW.

If you want to surf the internet use a computer.

Burned with Nero? I really never had any luck with that program but others have. Anyway the player doesn't support DVD+R so if that's what you tried that may be a problem. Perhaps try using a DVD-R disc and see if that works. The fact is I have been able to get some DVD+R burned discs to play just fine (even though the player doesn't support DVD+R) and they were burned using DVDdecrypter in ISO mode.

I have never even heard the fan on my HD-A1.

Most here agree the upscaling of the player is good.

Rumor has it a firmware revision is coming soon.

I agree the remote is junk and imo Toshiba should replace it free of charge with one that actually works. Myself I use a MX600 universal remote so it is a none issue at this point for me at least.

I don't know what you mean by lacks picture controls. Usually any adjustments like hue or saturation I would prefer doing that in my display.
post #172 of 753
I hear the fan on my unit and agree it is distracting when not watching movies. There is no way I would leave the unit on all the time simply because the fan is so bothersome.
post #173 of 753
Thread Starter 
Moderator

this thread is for ideas for the FAQ and not for general discussion: please take general discussion elsewhere

Thanks
post #174 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 View Post

Ground loops are a pain. I had a ground loop issue that was caused by the cable coax connection from the cable company. I fixed it using a VIDEO ISOLATION TRANSFORMER.

Before buying that item I first disconnected the coax cable to see if it fixed the problem, which it did and order the isolator.

...Angelo

a question about the item in the link, I have the same problem coming from my cable coax lines. my setup is a bit more than a simple single connection though. I have a 3 way splitter installed in the room which goes to my modem, cable box(HD) and my dvd recorder(creating an additional tv tuner). could this piece be placed in the single incoming line or should I get 2 and install one on each of the lines that goes to my HD cable box and dvd recorder? when these 2 are disconnected the hum goes away even though the modem line is still connected.

if I install this in the single in line before the splitter will this cause me any problems on the modem side? also, will this degrade my HD signals in any way?
post #175 of 753
I'm looking to repeat chapters on certain DVDs thorugh HDMI in the XA1. I'm hearing that most discs aren't able to do this... True?
post #176 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

typical FAQ Question:



Q: I setup the HD-A1 and connected it to my display with an HDMI cable, but I cannot get any picture?

Answer:

on the remote is a button: V.Output: stop the disc and hit this button : after a brief pausef the display on the player should now show: HDMI (center top of display): the display must show HDMI in order for the unit to output HDMI

you can also press the resolution button to try different resolutions

Excellent first suggestion as this was the first issue I had.
post #177 of 753
Q: I don't have an HDMI capable AVR and I plan to use the 5.1 analog outputs on the player. How do I set this up?

A: It's very similar to what you've probably done before. You will need 6 RCA cables coming out of the player to a 6 channel analog input on your AVR. Preferrably, and to take full advantage of the higher resolution HD audio in the A1, your receiver should process in the analog domain only. This may, however, mean that you'll have fewer options for adjustment on the AVR. Typically, you will have independent level adjustment for all 6 channels but no bass management capability. The bass management will have to be done in the A1.

You need an SPL meter. Go to the A1 setup menu under audio, then 5.1 audio to access the 5.1 audio setup menu. Set your speaker sizes and distances accordingly. Set the desired crossover frequency. I would reccommend using an alternate source for test tones such as those found on THX optimizer tracks. The A1 test tones are harder to use and may not be as accurate. Start out with all levels at zero on the A1. Set the SPL meter to 70 db. slow response, C-Weighted and try to balance all channels to the 0db mark. Ideally, keep the overall levels as high as possible on the A1 and use the AVR channel level adjustments to balance everything. You may have to consider raising the gain on your sub to get adequate levels from the LFE or .1 channel. This may take some patience and experimentation but it's worth it.

You may need to then go back and readjust your prior levels on the AVR for digital inputs if necessary. If you had to change the gain on the subwoofer itself, leave it alone at this point and compensate by adjusting the levels on the AVR (for digital inputs only).

At the time of this writing, there are at least two known problems with the bass management on the 5.1 analog outputs:

#1)It seems the overall LFE level is about 10 db lower than the other channels.
Tip: To maximize the overall LFE output level, set all speakers to Large.
#2)The LFE will not re-route to the speakers designated Large if you disable the sub output in the A1 setup menu.

There is a workaround for #2 that can be found here:

LFE routing workaround post # 181


#2 should only be an issue if you don't use a subwoofer in the traditional fashion. #1 will make balancing the LFE to the other channels a little more difficult but it should still be possible with most standard 5.1 configurations.

Tips for boosting analog LFE post # 193

It's probable that these issues will be corrected or improved upon by firmware upgrade from Toshiba soon.

Correctly setup, the 5.1 analog outputs should provide the best the player has to offer but may take a little more effort than if using HDMI for audio.
post #178 of 753
I spoke to a Toshiba rep and the sound issue is one of the things they are working on for the first firmware upgrade.
post #179 of 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I spoke to a Toshiba rep and the sound issue is one of the things they are working on for the first firmware upgrade.

Are you referring the the issue where disabling the subwoofer does not route the LFE to other channels or the issue where the LFE channel is lower in volume?

- Rich
post #180 of 753
I am refering to the lower volume.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD FAQ: Link and Discussion thread