Now that I have spent a few days with the HL-S5086, here is a summary of my testing with the following setup:
- Comcast Cable (not HD yet, so still connecting via composite video)
- Sony Dream Surround Sound system with progressive scan DVD player connected via component video
- OTA antenna to watch local HD channelsGeneral
- Overall, I'm very happy with the TV. The picture is awesome with the DVD, and the OTA HD channels looks great.
- Set does not contain a cable card, which some people have asked about, nor does it have a QAM tuner. This is not big for me anyway because I'll be getting my HD STB from Comcast this Saturday. Plus, I like the use of On Demand.
- No RBE on any of the imputs that I have used, and I've tried moving my eyes around the screen quickly several times. More importantly, the wife doesn't see them either, which is definitely a BIG plus! DVD
- so far this looks amazing. I was able to test out several movies such as Finding Nemo, Star Wars III, The Day After Tomorrow (which the opening scene looks unbelievable), King Kong, and Lord of the Rings
- The blacks are very good, and the colors using the Movie mode are spectacular
- No lyp sync issues OTA
- Local HD channels are incredible. I was able to watch Bones and CSI, and they looked very nice. Even got a great compliment from the wife since she likes Bones.
- Watched the Laker's game on the local LA channel (channel 9) which broadcasted the game in 1080i. The game looked great. Fast moving scenes did not look messy at all.
- No lyp sync issuesComcast Cable
- 4:3 geometry - there appears to be an extremely small presence of bowing, but it is not something to worry about as you have to look extremely close to even notice it. Someone else here posted that 99.9% of the screen was ok, and I would tend to agree.
- Lip-sync - I did encounter some slight lyp-sync issues with this connection, but HD cable box, I'll take this with a grain of salt until I can test it out using the HDMI connection instead of the crappy composite cable. I'll provide an update once I get my HD box this Saturday.
- Overall, channels look decent. Again, with a grain of salt because of the cable being used. I'll provide an update once I get my HD box this Saturday.
If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer. I also posted some pics of my setup. See my signature below for the link. Let me know what you think.