or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harman Kardon TC30
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harman Kardon TC30 - Page 2

post #31 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-spyder-x View Post

I am confused about the favorite channels issue. I understand there is no media button to take you directly to the favorite channels, however, can you get to a favorite channel section by cycling through Activities. Can you load the channel icons into the remote for use at that point. Thanks for the help.

Matt

I'm interested in the same info. I've only seen a single post addressing this (last one in the below referenced thread), and according to that
user, the short answer is no.

I'd be interested to hear this confirmed or denied by another user.

remotecentral.com Harman Kardon TC30 thread
post #32 of 291
I've just received my TC30 tonight but ran into initial setup issues.

Remote is charged and plugged into the USB Port, remote screen shows USB connected. When I plugged the remote in initially the computer (Dell/XP) was unable to find drivers for the remote. I suspect this is why its not connecting during the logon process. All that comes on the CD are the packaged software files, nothing you can point the computer to in terms of drivers. How did everyone else get around this, is there a specific driver file I should be looking for, because having the computer look for it is not working.

Currently stuck waiting for tech support to respond. Love the look of it though.

I think I need the driver file for this remote. It is not on the computer nor can it be found when Windows attempts to install it. Its also not on the CD.
post #33 of 291
Is there anyone with the TC30 installed correctly on XP that can tell me under the device manager 1 - the driver name and 2 - could I get it emailed to me?

The support people I have been dealing with have been next to useless and will not email me any files or tell me the name of the driver files to look for.
post #34 of 291
pmturcotte,

I just installed the software that came on the CD and then restarted the PC. When the PC came up again I plugged the remote in. I then started the software that came with the remote.

I believe the drivers are packed into the install of the remote's programming software and are automatically installed when the software is installed. For the TC30 you have to use the supplied software to program the remote so you have no choice but to install it!!! With this remote you cannot use the logitech web software to program this remote...
post #35 of 291
I had no problem installing the TC30 software. I restarted, plugged in the machine, still nothing. The software works fine, comes up, lets me login etc. But it did not install the driver.

Can you look up the driver name and tell me what it is?
post #36 of 291
I've been looking for a good remote with LCD under $200 and I really though I was going to end up with the Harmony 880, but then I noticed the negative revues regarding the buttons and the charger. THEN I found the TC30, man I really like it!

1) All the pics. I've seen of the Harmony 880 show it has the time and battery level on the screen at all times, of all the pictures I've seen of the TC30 I've never seen one showing the battery level? That's some thing I'd like, is it there on the TC30?

2) I'm a little intimidated from all the complex post I've read of you guys having to use the Harmon site and the Logitech site, and Fox something.... I'd like to some how use an activity as "Favorites", should I be at least a little intimidated on programming the TC30??

Have any of you seen the Harmony 785?!
post #37 of 291
Just got my TC30. I think this will be a great remote for me.
I had narrowed my choices to a peanut Harmony 676 or 680, then the 880, then went to the 520 and 720, then back the peanut 880 and finally the TC30. Heck anyone of these is better than what had, so I can't go wrong. The gripes about lack of Fav channels is irrelevant to me, since I never had that before. For me so far, the only weakness with this remote, is it's size. It is smaller than I expected. As a result the buttons are really packed in. I am accustomed to operating my remotes by feel. I'ts not easy with this one but I'm sure that will get better with practice.

With regard to the software. Before I made my purchase, I took the test ride on Harmony's web site with the 880. Logged in, used the software and entered some of my HT devices. It was quick and easy. It is supposed to give you a feel for the setup software. My first thought was that it was too simple for the alleged power that you get in return. I didn't buy my TC30 out of fear of the Harmony software and CS, I bought it because I liked the 8 button LCD vs the 6 button on the 880 and 720.

Anyway, I bought the TC30, installed the setup disk, I was able to use my login Id and password from the Harmony test ride. The remote immediately updated and was ready for use. (About 15 minutes after unpacking from the box) This was based on the info I provided days earlier on the Harmony test ride. (This confirms that Harmony and HK use the same software and support). I proceeded instead to add my additional devices and activity settings. After about 2 hours, I was ready for the first test.

The setup could not select the correct input on my TV. Since this was on the weekend, I had to wait and call Customer Service from my work place on Monday, but of course, and as expected, the CSR informed me they could help me best if I were at home with my remote, computer and HT system. The CSR then offered to call me back at my convenience, to avoid the long distance wait on hold and to be sure that I speak with her. We arranged a 6am call to me (9am for her). She called at approximately 6:05 am. It took about 90 minutes on the phone with the CSR, but my remote is FULLY function able. It does everything it is supposed to.

The activity macros can be modified to do some cool things. For example, I added to Watch DVD at start up to eject the disk tray, so all I need to do is insert the disk, close and play. Listen to XM, (DirectTV XM satelite), I added to the END of the activity, to change the channel #, from the current music channel to 15.1.

I believe all the recommended remotes out there will perform the same. The differences come down to aesthetics, size and button layout.

My stuff: Mits 52" DLP TV, Denon 3802 Amp, Sony Amp ( for whole house speaks), Denon DVD, Sony DVD/CD Jukebox, Pioneer DVD Recorder, DirectTV HR10-250 Satelite receiver.

My Activities: Watch TV, Watch Denon DVD, Watch Sony DVD, Listen to XM, Listen to Radio, Listen to CD jukebox, Listen to Denon CD, Record DVD
post #38 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy View Post

I've been looking for a good remote with LCD under $200 and I really though I was going to end up with the Harmony 880, but then I noticed the negative revues regarding the buttons and the charger. THEN I found the TC30, man I really like it!

1) All the pics. I've seen of the Harmony 880 show it has the time and battery level on the screen at all times, of all the pictures I've seen of the TC30 I've never seen one showing the battery level? That's some thing I'd like, is it there on the TC30?

2) I'm a little intimidated from all the complex post I've read of you guys having to use the Harmon site and the Logitech site, and Fox something.... I'd like to some how use an activity as "Favorites", should I be at least a little intimidated on programming the TC30??

Have any of you seen the Harmony 785?!


Yes, you can have the time on the TC30, and it does show battery level.

I am not sure the favorites is available on the TC-30. At least I have never used it on mine. Perhaps someone else can answer that part. The 880 does have some buttons that the TC-30 does not, like the MEDIA button.

Check out this link for a review
post #39 of 291
I just received my TC-30 and it is charging. Has anyone had this non tech issue? The LCD screen has a paper simulation of the screen. I attempted to remove it and it did what many other stickers like this has done. It tore and left paper and glue on the screen. How do I remove it without causing damage to the clear screen? It is not coming off without something that will soften the glue under the paper. I can't believe they package it this way.
post #40 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganhorse View Post

The LCD screen has a paper simulation of the screen. I attempted to remove it and it did what many other stickers like this has done. It tore and left paper and glue on the screen. How do I remove it without causing damage to the clear screen? I can't believe they package it this way.

I used GoofOff. It worked very well, BUT be careful to avoid the rubber at the very top of the remote - The GoofOff will melt the rubber! A Q-tip would probably be your best bet.
post #41 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganhorse View Post

I just received my TC-30 and it is charging. Has anyone had this non tech issue? The LCD screen has a paper simulation of the screen. I attempted to remove it and it did what many other stickers like this has done. It tore and left paper and glue on the screen. How do I remove it without causing damage to the clear screen? It is not coming off without something that will soften the glue under the paper. I can't believe they package it this way.

Well, that wasn't very nice of them. Mine came with a static sticker over the LCD screen - like the "Your next oil change is due at" static stickers on the inside of your windshield. Peeled right off. Can't imagine why they'd use something with glue. FWIW, I LOVE my TC-30. I did extensive research prior to purchasing and decided the TC-30 was the one I liked best. It was a good choice. While I consider myself fairly tech saavy, I've never programmed a remote before and was somewhat skeptical that it would be as easy as claimed to set up. It was. But for a minor power on/off issue for a second Sony VCR among my devices (which was resolved with help from someone here at AVS forums), my setup took about an hour. Aside from it's great functionality, it is a thing of beauty as well. Very sleek looking.
post #42 of 291
For anyone who has the sticker problem on pretty much anything--WD 40 worked great on the glue and a little Windex cleaned it up. The TC 30 programed easily and everything works as promised and I too am very pleased with it. But there are 3 things I would like to add that are on my DishNetwork remote:
1. Change a button to DVR which is a shortcut to My Recordings or create a macro that would take me directly to my recordings.
2. Change a button or create an activity for page up and down.
3. Change a button for Live TV. Otherwise it takes several strokes to get rid of a menu.

I am not tech savy. When I was a child my left brain was frightened by an algebra problem. Any help would be appreciated.
post #43 of 291
Just to clear things up for me, currently there is no functionality to page up/down in a sat/cable program guide, correct? Therefore, I assume the only way to move around in a guide is by using directional arrow keys to go up/down through each program individually? Thanks for the clarification.
post #44 of 291
Dear all,

I'm considering the 880 and the TC30. One of my reservations about the 880 is some users' comment that the software is a "memory hog" and slows down the user's computer even when not in use. Is this also an issue with the TC30?

Thanks,
Chris
post #45 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyrx View Post

Dear all,

I'm considering the 880 and the TC30. One of my reservations about the 880 is some users' comment that the software is a "memory hog" and slows down the user's computer even when not in use. Is this also an issue with the TC30?

Thanks,
Chris

I've not experienced any issues on my PC as a result of the TC-30 software.
post #46 of 291
I got my TC30 the other day and opened it up last night. That frickin' paper stikcer has got to be one of the worst fubars in the history of packaging! Thanks for the WD-40 tip. I need to use the Windex tonight.

This remote is very sharp looking. I'll program it tonight or tomorrow.
post #47 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyrx View Post

Dear all,

I'm considering the 880 and the TC30. One of my reservations about the 880 is some users' comment that the software is a "memory hog" and slows down the user's computer even when not in use. Is this also an issue with the TC30?

Thanks,
Chris

Even if it is, you can always turn off the "Auto start" and only start it manually when required.
post #48 of 291
Sorry ... I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I just got my TC30 and have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to use the power button on the remote to control devices? Not a big deal, but I'd like to choose a device (I'm not so into activities, at least not yet) and then hit the power button, not use an item on the LCD.

2) Can you tell the remote to *not* turn on the backlight when you hit one of the buttons other than the LCD buttons (or glow, of course)? I really don't need the remote to glow on when I push play, or turn the volum up, know what I'm saying?

3) I have a Sharp LC-37D90U and it has a standard Sharp Aquos remote, should be pretty common. Quite a few of the buttons weren't working (e.g., direction down and favorite D), so I "learned" the commands using the web software, and it *still* didn't work. How is that even possible?

EDIT: There is another learning screen that lets you set the "raw" commands (whatever that is, I'm no IR expert) and that seemed to work. I'd still appreciate responses to my previous two questions though.

Thanks for the help ... sorry for the longwindedness.
post #49 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatty View Post

Therefore, I assume the only way to move around in a guide is by using directional arrow keys to go up/down through each program individually? Thanks for the clarification.

It is an option, sure, but certainly not the only option. You can program any command into the remote software, and then apply that command to any remote or screen button. You have nearly unlimited options, you are only limited by convenience.
post #50 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganhorse View Post

1. Change a button to DVR which is a shortcut to My Recordings or create a macro that would take me directly to my recordings.
2. Change a button or create an activity for page up and down.
3. Change a button for Live TV. Otherwise it takes several strokes to get rid of a menu.

1) Not following, sorry.
2) If the software didn't give you a page-up/page-down option by default, you can add your own command by "learning" it. On the web software, select device, and then play around with the "customize the device mode" option. You gotta look it over a bit, but it should be pretty straight forward.
3) I haven't seen a way to set up macros (although I just got the remote yesterday, it is likely that you can), which is what I think you're looking for. I think you can create generic activities which are more or less macros, right?
post #51 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-spyder-x View Post

I understand there is no media button to take you directly to the favorite channels, however, can you get to a favorite channel section by cycling through Activities.

Umm ... you aren't scrolling through activities, but using one of the commands on the screen (h/k calls them "screen buttons"). Chances are if you have a favorite button on your OEM remote you'll get a favorite item on your screen buttons. That's what I had, although only A-C worked and not D (had to learn it custom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-spyder-x View Post

Can you load the channel icons into the remote for use at that point. Thanks for the help.

Pretty sure you can't do this. You can upload a background image, and then some generic images for a "slideshow" (lame, I know), but you can't replace text descriptions with images, as far as I know.
post #52 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcarr316 View Post

Sorry ... I don't have time to read the whole thread, but I just got my TC30 and have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to use the power button on the remote to control devices? Not a big deal, but I'd like to choose a device (I'm not so into activities, at least not yet) and then hit the power button, not use an item on the LCD.

2) Can you tell the remote to *not* turn on the backlight when you hit one of the buttons other than the LCD buttons (or glow, of course)? I really don't need the remote to glow on when I push play, or turn the volum up, know what I'm saying?

3) I have a Sharp LC-37D90U and it has a standard Sharp Aquos remote, should be pretty common. Quite a few of the buttons weren't working (e.g., direction down and favorite D), so I "learned" the commands using the web software, and it *still* didn't work. How is that even possible?

EDIT: There is another learning screen that lets you set the "raw" commands (whatever that is, I'm no IR expert) and that seemed to work. I'd still appreciate responses to my previous two questions though.

Thanks for the help ... sorry for the longwindedness.

1) No...can't be done. Just get used to using activities and it won't be an issue. Once you do start using activities, you'll wonder how you ever did without them.

2) With a Harmony using the web interface, you select "my remote preferences", then "Settings". You can then change the glow setup to "All buttons", "LCD buttons only", or "None". Note the "Glow" button(if the TC30 has one??) will always activate the backlight, even if it's set to "None".
I would guess the TC30 options would be similar, but I don't know for sure.
post #53 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

1) No...can't be done.

Sucks, oh well, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czzer View Post

2) With a Harmony using the web interface, you select "my remote preferences", then "Settings". You can then change the glow setup to "All buttons", "LCD buttons only", or "None".

I was actually excited when I read this but I just checked on the h/k setup site and there is no such option. The closest thing I have is "glow timing" and there is no "0 seconds" option. If it is possible with harmony it is possible with h/k, so how do we make this happen? Do they just need to update their web software?
post #54 of 291
i noticed hk sells the tc 30 re-manufactured on ebay. has anyone bought one of these units?

they seem to have high quality refurb. products and unusual that they all carry full orig. factory warranty. i think buying direct is also a plus in case there is problem and you need to send back for repair or get service. price is considerably cheaper than $299 retail or $159 at other online stores.
post #55 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by buy4less View Post

i noticed hk sells the tc 30 re-manufactured on ebay. has anyone bought one of these units?

they seem to have high quality refurb. products and unusual that they all carry full orig. factory warranty. i think buying direct is also a plus in case there is problem and you need to send back for repair or get service. price is considerably cheaper than $299 retail or $159 at other online stores.

I bought one from them on Ebay...I honestly beleive it is brand new...I like it.
post #56 of 291
Question...I have 2 setup's in the activity they are watch tv and watch tv2....watch tv controls my tv, dish 622 now my tv2 controls my tv, dish and yamaha receiver. When I pick tv2 sound still comes from the tv...is there a way to set up this remote to mute the tv when I choose tv2 being that I use the receiver for sound. Thanks.
post #57 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Question...I have 2 setup's in the activity they are watch tv and watch tv2....watch tv controls my tv, dish 622 now my tv2 controls my tv, dish and yamaha receiver. When I pick tv2 sound still comes from the tv...is there a way to set up this remote to mute the tv when I choose tv2 being that I use the receiver for sound. Thanks.

I have this kind of setup, with "Watch TV" and "TV with Surround" activities.

Under the customize activities I added the "Toggle Speakers" command for the Sony TV to one of the activities, and I have it happen at start-up and at shut-down. Since my kids still sometimes use the regular remotes and the Sony only has a toggle instead of discrete "Speakers On" and "Speakers Off" commands, I also mapped one of the soft-buttons to speaker toggle also so I can turn them on/off if needed.

I would imagine that almost all TVs should have a similar speaker command you could use. Hopefully you have discrete commands so you can just put the TV in the mode you want at the beginning of each activity.
post #58 of 291
Quick Review after a few weeks of using the TC-30

I've never had a Harmony remote before, so here goes. This remote is very slick looking and also feels pretty good. Setup for me was a piece of cake, but I am a computer and gadget geek so keep that in mind, too. I'm the guy you would ask to get your VCR to quit blinking "12:00" if you had that problem, and I'm also the guy you would ask to come over and help wire up your stereo. The software installed fine out of the box on my XP-Home computer, and entering my components and setting up my activities was fun.

I would say if you are geeky and enjoy this kind of thing it is a breeze, and if you aren't geeky and you hate this kind of stuff it is still very doable but it could certainly be a pain.

I've mapped some additional functions to the soft-keys, like TV speaker toggle and subwoofer level control, and so far I've been able to get everything I've wanted into easy reach on the remote. Almost all of my TV, DVR, DVD, and Xbox360 remotes main funtions that I use most were defaulted into play for the appropriate activities, and in places that make semantic sense, so I am very happy with all of that.

All in all this is a very nice setup that was pretty easy to set up, fairly easy to customize, and so far works well.

What I don't like, however, are the hard "clicky" keys. For whatever reason, each of the ten thousand different remotes I had to shuffle before all felt right, but the clicky keys here aren't that great to me. I guess that's the tradeoff, though. One remote that controls everything but doesn't feel so great, or laying in the middle of 20 remotes like a guy if Vegas who just won a bunch of money and went up to his room and dumped it all on the bed and jumped in with it.

At $140 delivered, I'll be keeping it for a while. And the good news is that my wife can watch TV or a DVD upstairs now when I'm not home.
post #59 of 291
Any TC30 owner figure out how to setup a favorites list or at least program specific channel numbers into the screen buttons ?
post #60 of 291
I've been reading a lot about the various harmony remotes lately, and am waffling between the 720, 550, and the tc 30. While all the comments and advice shared on the various threads here and at remote central have been great, one thing that I haven't come across is an actual description of how these things work. My presumption is when you pick up your remote, you hit the activities button, the screen shows activities, and you pick one, such as watch pvr. Then I assume that after the remote turns everything on and adjusts inputs, etc. to the proper settings, the buttons on the remote control the logical devices - the transport keys control the pvr, the volume and channel keys control the tv, or the amp, etc. I also assume that you can hit devices if needed and control a specific device. I also assume that whenever you select an activity or device, the lcd buttons take on certain functions specific to the activity or device that aren't available through the hard keys.

Now, assuming my assumptions are correct ( and I trust someone will correct me if I am wrong about any of them,) I have a couple of questions that relate specifically to the tc 30.

1. Can I choose which activities appear in the lcd window and the order in which they appear?

2. Can I pick what device commands appear in the lcd window when I activate an activity, and is there any limitation to what commands I can put in there or the number of them, and again, the order of them, assuming there might be more than one page of them?

3. Ditto for when I activate a device?

4. Can I mix activities and commands in the lcd screen for a specific activity, for example, when I choose the activity watch satellite, can I have page up and down buttons in the lcd screen along with an activity such as watch dvr?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Fran
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Remote Control Area
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Remote Control Area › Harman Kardon TC30