or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Pioneer's NEW 7th Generation Plasmas for 2006-2007
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer's NEW 7th Generation Plasmas for 2006-2007 - Page 6

post #151 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Because as most everyone knows...sharing the same plasma glass does not equate to the same PQ, performance and reliability of the displays.

oh, alright, NEC is such a crappy company and all

i bet you drive a mercedes too..

if youve seen ron white his stance on mercedes benz owners is absolutely perfect
post #152 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce View Post

oh, alright, NEC is such a crappy company and all

i bet you drive a mercedes too..

if youve seen ron white his stance on mercedes benz owners is absolutely perfect

Never said NEC was "crappy". While you're at high school tomorrow, why don't you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.
post #153 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

On the Fujitsu comment, of course several years ago their AVm 2 processor or whatever it was/is called was far and away the best. But there hasnt been anything new in years. Its still a great display in terms of PQ, especially at the 42 inch size IMHO, but the company as far as plasmas really has been standing still for awhile. Can anyone talk about anything new in their available displays? SO if and when they release a 1080P set, we can talk then.

I looked at all 4 NEC displays ( plasma) at CES. They really werent emphasizied and weren't impressive. I have no idea how or why NEC didnt take a more aggressive approach there.

Pioneer had a lot of people to talk to regarding their plasma displays. I think I spoke with 4 or 5 of them myself over a couple of days and the conversations were interesting. Their displays are good. I like them. My only gripe is not about PQ or features, or even a delayed spread of advances to the commercial line---- I want a better more aggressive dead/stuck pixel guarantee from them. If I spend the big bucks on their display, I do expect NO dead or stuck pixels--- its just that simple. If I want to have a lower QA process, I'll get a Vizio and keep my mouth shut.

Anyway, I think when Panny releases the 58 and 65 inch models below the cost of the Pios 50 inch displays, the bar will be set at those new sizes, which is probably more about increasing LCD sizes than plasma brand competition.

There are a good number of people who disagree re the relative quality of the NECs, including people who own/sell Pannys. NEC color fidelity has long been regarded as top-tier.
post #154 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

There are a good number of people who disagree re the relative quality of the NECs, including people who own/sell Pannys. NEC color fidelity has long been regarded as top-tier.

Fair enough. I view Hitachi, Pioneer, and Panasonic as the top manufacturers but heck--just my opinion. I wish NEC plasmas all the success they can muster.
post #155 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

I wouldn't be so fast in spelling the death knell for Fujitsu of North America. They have been upgrading their plasma line just like every other company in the past 24 months, and as I've mentioned they will have their 1080p Plasmas on store shelves in 2007 right along w/the rest of the mfg'ers. Their marketing plan may be tough for us consumers hunting for internet bargains, but it must work for them to do so, otherwise Fujitsu would change their policies. I believe the market to be so vast as to absorb a niche for high end Plasma or LCD or whatever if the advantage of their product is present or even perceived. This is a story that has been told in the CE biz over & over.

I am not sounding any bells. The main fujitsu distributor here in Houston still has them but where they were the go to plasma a couple of years back, it seems others like Hitachi have overtaken them in features and closed the gap quaite a bit in PQ. The current fujitsus are the same as they were several years ago and arent getting the attention anymore even in there own reeller stores. The competition is just better and has largely caught up is what I am saying. I just dont see any differences in their current models compared to their previous ones. I mean none.
post #156 of 4252
Rysa4, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, but enough about Fujitsu as we've strayed quite a bit OT. I'm chomping at the bit to see the upcoming Pioneer PRO-FHD1 1080p 50"er, and in 4-6 months it will be interesting to see which displays climb to the top of the pile. What were your impressions of the PRO-FHD1 at CES?
post #157 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Never said NEC was "crappy". While you're at high school tomorrow, why don't you brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

"Because as most everyone knows...sharing the same plasma glass does not equate to the same PQ, performance and reliability of the displays."

oops, my mistake, the sentence was so full of "smug" that i couldnt see the true meaning

honestly wasnt trying to start something with the mercedes comment, i just invisioned ron white's mercedes' act the moment i read "because as most everyone knows.."
post #158 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

Fair enough. I view Hitachi, Pioneer, and Panasonic as the top manufacturers but heck--just my opinion. I wish NEC plasmas all the success they can muster.

Interesting, since the last consumer generation form Panasonic had flawed 720p processing. The generation before that wouldn't even accept 720p except over VGA. I don't recall NEC ever having difficulty with a 720p signal. I'd admit most would put Panasonic up there though, but the just deserve is for their commercial panels IMO.

Personally, from what I've seen of Hitachi, I wouldn't include them in the top 3.

I own an NEC 50XR5 and a Panasonic TH-50PX50U BTW. I prefer the NEC overall and use it as my primary display.
post #159 of 4252
Well, I'm trying again - I sent the following email to Pioneer last night...

I hear 7th Generation Pioneer Plasmas are headed to market soon, and I have only been able to get sparse information about them. I believe the model number for the 42 inch is the PDP-427HX. I would like pricing information, an expected availability date, and a list of features and specifications, if that is possible. Thank you! I'm looking forward to purchasing one of these models ASAP!

Trent D.


Little hope for response, but we'll see! Oh, and I'm not necessarily looking to buy one, but I figured that might help...it's one I'm considering at least.
post #160 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I'll be reviewing the these soon...I know it's only 2 on your wish list but.....



How are you planning to mount these beauties, and have you considered the articulating arm mount?
post #161 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

Rysa4, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, but enough about Fujitsu as we've strayed quite a bit OT. I'm chomping at the bit to see the upcoming Pioneer PRO-FHD1 1080p 50"er, and in 4-6 months it will be interesting to see which displays climb to the top of the pile. What were your impressions of the PRO-FHD1 at CES?


It was their best display at CES and the attention grabber for sure. It has the clarity in resolution of the best LCD and obviously much better contrast than any LCD. They were using a hrad drive loop feed for HD signal of course. Unfortunately, the display was set up in an area with a fair amount of ambient light; I would have preferred to see it in dimmer or maybe adjustable conditions.

Hitachi had a 1080P prototype set up in a structure designed for lower lighting which I thought was a good idea.

My only comment is more about hd-DVDs/Blu-Ray moreso than any secific display. On that topic I dont see the hi def DVDs as the Holy Grail or the same leap as VHS to DVD was. Sorry to digress.
post #162 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Interesting, since the last consumer generation form Panasonic had flawed 720p processing. The generation before that wouldn't even accept 720p except over VGA. I don't recall NEC ever having difficulty with a 720p signal. I'd admit most would put Panasonic up there though, but the just deserve is for their commercial panels IMO.

Personally, from what I've seen of Hitachi, I wouldn't include them in the top 3.

I own an NEC 50XR5 and a Panasonic TH-50PX50U BTW. I prefer the NEC overall and use it as my primary display.

You may be right about the Panasonic flaw-- The reason why I singe these companies out is that they have the money and expertise to continue to do R and D and make progress and lead; which they are all doing. It doesnt mean they will be successful in each step; just that they can lead whereas others often follow or take a few years off.
post #163 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

How are you planning to mount these beauties, and have you considered the articulating arm mount?

The Elites will be wall mounted in the family room and master bedroom. The Panny goes in my daughter's room
post #164 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Interesting, since the last consumer generation form Panasonic had flawed 720p processing.

I am curious of what is giving you that impression. Is it an unproven review or your own observations?
post #165 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

I am curious of what is giving you that impression. Is it an unproven review or your own observations?

There was more than one magazine that mentioned the 720p issue with the PX50/500u. There are also accounts by actual owners on this forum that have stated the same thing.

You can use the wonderful search feature to verify these statements.
post #166 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

I am curious of what is giving you that impression. Is it an unproven review or your own observations?

Both. I actually struggled with trying to "fix" the issue for quite some time before I ever saw the review. 720p especially for sporting events should appear virtually indistinguishable in sharpness/detail to 1080i with the advantage going to 720p in lack of pixellation artifacts. This is the way my 50 inch Sony RP LCD performs as does my NEC 50XR5 pdp. If this is not the way you see it, you aren't seeing 720p at its full resolution.

I think it's very likely that if I and others have noticed the problem and it just so happens that this was the first generation Panny consumer model pdp to accept 720p over yPbPr and it says in the OM that "720p signals are converted to 1080i before display" and the HT mag measured poor resolution on the 42 inch 50U for 720p that the problem does indeed exist.

Really, the only evidence that it's not a problem are biased owners who say "It looks fine to me and I don't worry about it". Even among those many would admit that converting to 1080i in their STB helps the pq for 720p sources.

So what do you think?
post #167 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

Both. I actually struggled with trying to "fix" the issue for quite some time before I ever saw the review. 720p especially for sporting events should appear virtually indistinguishable in sharpness/detail to 1080i with the advantage going to 720p in lack of pixellation artifacts. This is the way my 50 inch Sony RP LCD performs as does my NEC 50XR5 pdp. If this is not the way you see it, you aren't seeing 720p at its full resolution.

I think it's very likely that if I and others have noticed the problem and it just so happens that this was the first generation Panny consumer model pdp to accept 720p over yPbPr and it says in the OM that "720p signals are converted to 1080i before display" and the HT mag measured poor resolution on the 42 inch 50U for 720p that the problem does indeed exist.

Really, the only evidence that it's not a problem are biased owners who say "It looks fine to me and I don't worry about it". Even among those many would admit that converting to 1080i in their STB helps the pq for 720p sources.

So what do you think?

I will take this to the Pan thread since this is a Pan subject.

Edit: Let's see some of your evidence there.
post #168 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

There was more than one magazine that mentioned the 720p issue with the PX50/500u. There are also accounts by actual owners on this forum that have stated the same thing.

You can use the wonderful search feature to verify these statements.

If I am not using the search...there is a reason.
post #169 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

The Elites will be wall mounted in the family room and master bedroom. The Panny goes in my daughter's room

Sounds like a good plan! I first became interested in the articulating arm wall mounts several years ago after reading one of Rich Harkness' infamous posts. If I ever do wall mount, this is what I would especially like to use. Since then, Rich has posted that he's found a articulating arm mount to fit the 200lb Panny 65"er. Imagine being free to tilt an angle at will a panel as large as 65"! Man, I gottaget me one of those!!
post #170 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

I am not sounding any bells. The main fujitsu distributor here in Houston still has them but where they were the go to plasma a couple of years back, it seems others like Hitachi have overtaken them in features and closed the gap quaite a bit in PQ. The current fujitsus are the same as they were several years ago and arent getting the attention anymore even in there own reeller stores. The competition is just better and has largely caught up is what I am saying. I just dont see any differences in their current models compared to their previous ones. I mean none.


The Fujitsu internal scaler is still second to none (in comparison to other mass marketed PDPs).
post #171 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipetrick View Post

The Fujitsu internal scaler is still second to none (in comparison to other mass marketed PDPs).

Does it do inverse telecine for HD film? I'm not sure about that, I rather think not. Hitachi PDPs can do that, I believe.
post #172 of 4252
just got word that my Pio PDP-427px will be comming in the last week in june and costs $3300.00 delivered, cant wait, getting a toshiba hd dvd A1 in the comming days as well
post #173 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Does it do inverse telecine for HD film? I'm not sure about that, I rather think not. Hitachi PDPs can do that, I believe.


Not so sure about that but they will concede that the Fujitsu is the most advanced on the market other than perhaps a Runco's or Dwin's.
post #174 of 4252
But the Dwin's cheat a bit on that score because their "display system" incorporates an external video processor. If you were to go that route, why not choose an Panasonic Industrial Plasma matched to a Lumagen VisionProHDP Video Processor for a REAL bang for your buck system??!! Ya think Dwin's PQ would dwindle in the comparison?
post #175 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Does it do inverse telecine for HD film? I'm not sure about that, I rather think not. Hitachi PDPs can do that, I believe.

So does NEC.
post #176 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipetrick View Post

The Fujitsu internal scaler is still second to none (in comparison to other mass marketed PDPs).

I agree. And lets face it, not everything new is an improvement over the old. My only point is that there just hasnt been changes or significant R and D from this manufacturer in years. At least nothing that has resulted in truely new product introductions.
post #177 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post

I agree. And lets face it, not everything new is an improvement over the old. My only point is that there just hasnt been changes or significant R and D from this manufacturer in years. At least nothing that has resulted in truely new product introductions.

Man, that was a nail bitter of a game, and forgive me Spurs fans but I think it was time for another Texas team to win this series...it was close, but no cigar for the Spurs. Now, on to late nite basketball w/the Clippers & Suns in glorious HD.

Rysa4, just hold your breath a bit longer as we are experiencing a historic moment in video tech & Home Theater. I feel we are at the cusp of major improvements in video tech on a large magnitude. The advent of 1080p has been almost 20 years in the making w/loads of R&D dollars/yen, and once this door is thrown open it's all good from here on out. Pioneer plans to be a major player in this game for many years to come, and once the prices of large flat panels come down in price you'll see interests spike towards Home Theater like you've never seen before. You want changes?...hold on to seat Rysa4 because big changes are definitely coming.
post #178 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthechizzain View Post

just got word that my Pio PDP-427px will be comming in the last week in june and costs $3300.00 delivered, cant wait, getting a toshiba hd dvd A1 in the comming days as well

Ive been waiting also for this bad boy,from what Ive been reading this is suppose to be the best of the best?Hope its worth the wait.Thanks for info,geno.
post #179 of 4252
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthechizzain View Post

just got word that my Pio PDP-427px will be comming in the last week in june and costs $3300.00 delivered, cant wait, getting a toshiba hd dvd A1 in the comming days as well

Great news!! I am very happy for you

Please share us your experiences once delivered, connected & tested
I'm very very very curious about this model, because I have been waiting for years to buy my first plasma.
I'm already convinced of the PQ of the 4360, but want to wait for the PDP-427HX because I planned to buy my first plasma in September.
I really hope the 7th generation will be available then here in Belgium...
post #180 of 4252
Got my response:


Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

You are correct, the Generation 7 plasma televisions are scheduled for to be available this Fall.

For more information please contact our plasma group at (800) 872-4159.


Thank You,

Shawna
Customer Service Representative


Well, no hard data, but now we know they exist, haha. That phone number took me to their business product division, so no dice...but someone else can feel free to try and see if they can get further!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Pioneer's NEW 7th Generation Plasmas for 2006-2007