or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Jet Li in FEARLESS: It rocks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jet Li in FEARLESS: It rocks - Page 2

post #31 of 89
We've known that since the theatrical release though. I thought you had something more concrete.
post #32 of 89
Thread Starter 
Uh, I do, but I cannot say any more. Just know that the director has told many people of late that he is working on it.
post #33 of 89
Gotcha
post #34 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

No, there isn't. I'm assuming the post above you got a bootleg. Unless I'm totally wrong and he can read Cantonese/Mandarin and bought an official version whch doesn't have English subs.


Saw the movie and it was great! Dead even with HERO, IMHO...

On another note, I purchased the disc from a seller on ebay. It was a great quality transfer with Dolby digital EX track and English subs. If this was a bootleg, it was the best bootleg I've ever seen.
post #35 of 89
Wait. Has this even hit theaters yet? Did i miss it?

I was under the impression it wouldn't be in theaters until the fall in the US?
post #36 of 89
Thread Starter 
September is the sort of release date that keeps changing.
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

September is the sort of release date that keeps changing.

Do you know the supposed date in September? It looks like they upped the release date of Tom Yum Goong to September 9th. I saw the commercial last
night. It was retitled the Protector. Lame.

It'd be funny if they had the same release date. I doubt it though.
post #38 of 89
I saw the Chinese version with DTS; it's one of hist best since Once Upon A time in China - II. Transfer was good.

There is a story and a moral. My wife never cares for martial arts stuff but she likes this one.
post #39 of 89
I take it that the theather version in the U.S is subtitles only?
post #40 of 89
Quote:


I take it that the theather version in the U.S is subtitles only?

I think so, all the trailers I've seen and their electronic press kit only show scenes with no dialogue, or that were in English originally.

I saw an interview with Jet Li today where he said that this would indeed be his last "wushu movie". In addition he said that the director's cut of this film says everything that he's ever wanted to say about his philosophy on martial arts and life, but that the theatrical cut doesn't quite get there. He mentions the director's cut will be 30 or so minutes longer (though I think we know that it is more like 40 but am too lazy to do a search on it).
post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

I think so, all the trailers I've seen and their electronic press kit only show scenes with no dialogue, or that were in English originally.

I saw an interview with Jet Li today where he said that this would indeed be his last "wushu movie". In addition he said that the director's cut of this film says everything that he's ever wanted to say about his philosophy on martial arts and life, but that the theatrical cut doesn't quite get there. He mentions the director's cut will be 30 or so minutes longer (though I think we know that it is more like 40 but am too lazy to do a search on it).


Saw this quote in one the professional reviews:

In Mandarin Chinese and English, with English subtitles.


So I bet the english part is small
post #42 of 89
Some people who watched the uncut version are dismayed by just how much they cut out. I'll pass on the current release and wait for or look for the uncut version.
post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

I saw an interview with Jet Li today where he said that this would indeed be his last "wushu movie". .

maybe so for wushu but this is not his last martial arts film. last week jet finally confirmed the long awaited project with jackie "the clown" chan to start shooting next march.
post #44 of 89
Thread Starter 
The only people who have seen the uncut version are friends of the director who were given a DVD.
post #45 of 89
http://www.china.org.cn/english/feat...ilm/158188.htm

the movie was mostly fictional, but I enjoyed it anyway.

There were some nice martial arts sequences, and I'm glad the movie wasn't dubbed or anything.
post #46 of 89
The DVD runs 105 min and the version in theaters runs 143 ...I'm headed to the movies! . If the DVD is truly a bootleg...as good as it looks and sounds....I curse all you bootleggers! .
post #47 of 89
I saw this one in the theater last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was glad that there were few "wire-fu" stunts. I believe there is a place for that, but not here as this is supposedly based on true events and a lot of impossible, physics-defying stunts would have distracted me.

The fight scenes were fantastic. The story was interesting but seemed a little "one dimensional" (for lack of a better description). I would guess that as a biography this is difficult to avoid.

I would definitely be interested in seeing the longer version.

Cary
post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

The DVD runs 105 min and the version in theaters runs 143 ...

The US theater version is 104 mins.

http://www.fandango.com/MoviePage.aspx?date=&mid=34264
post #49 of 89
I had the pleasure of watching Fearless last night. I thoughly enjoyed the movie, but it was quite obvious(to me anyways) the story was heavily edited. Great last effort for Jet Li. I can't wait for the uncut version. Sadly I don't believe we will get it on US shores. But, at least we are getting Tom Yun Goong uncut.

My theater experience was like this:

Opening credits role.

3/4's of the theater audience start to moan because of the subtitles.


Sad...Sad...World
post #50 of 89
Funny. After about 15 minutes, my friend (who suggested we see Fearless), leaned over and said, "wow, sorry about the subtitles" (I guess he felt he should get some blame). I told him that I did didn't really notice them, and I honestly didn't. After the first few lines I was just into the movie and didn't think twice about the fact that I was reading subtitles.

Cary
post #51 of 89
Chinese martial arts movies are not supposed to be short. They have a long boring story line to go with the fighting. Usually Chinese martial arts movies span 24 or 36 VCDs and would take a month to watch. I thought Fearless was cut too much - a little bit of rushing into fights with no flow. I guess thats how American markets like it.

On another note, this says its Jet Li's last film but then I hear he and Jackie Chan are making another.
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

Chinese martial arts movies are not supposed to be short. They have a long boring story line to go with the fighting. Usually Chinese martial arts movies span 24 or 36 VCDs and would take a month to watch. I thought Fearless was cut too much - a little bit of rushing into fights with no flow. I guess thats how American markets like it.

On another note, this says its Jet Li's last film but then I hear he and Jackie Chan are making another.

Your talking about their version of a TV series except limited to one season. They are re edited sometimes to make a movie for the foreign market. For example, Donnie Yen did his version of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury for Chinese TV but when it got here on DVD it was a 2 hour cut version. It was a complete mess since they cut hours out of the storyline to make it look like the original FoF.
post #53 of 89
Thread Starter 
Jet Li's last martial arts period piece.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

It was a complete mess since they cut hours out of the storyline to make it look like the original FoF.

This 'mess' that you mentioned is exactly what I feel about Fearless. This is supposedly a true story so there much to tell.

Even Jackie Chan's older movies were better than the ones he made for US. I dont know why. Is the US market just glutten for crap?
post #55 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

This 'mess' that you mentioned is exactly what I feel about Fearless. This is supposedly a true story so there much to tell.

Even Jackie Chan's older movies were better than the ones he made for US. I dont know why. Is the US market just glutten for crap?

I understand what your saying but you still can't compare a TV series to a movie; their two different things. With a TV series there is more time for character development as opposed to a movie where a character's background is referred to just a couple of lines or flashbacks. Still, a cut movie is a cut movie and that is frustrating to watch especially if it's supposed to be about a real person.

As for Jackie he's just plain old now. Even his recent movies like the Myth and Police Story 5 were crap and they were made in HK. So, saying only his U.S. made films are sh*t isn't exactly true. Their crappy no matter where they were made.
post #56 of 89
I watched this in the theater last week. It was pretty good, decent, but not great. There were also a few spots that seemed to have a really abrupt transition, possibly where scenes were cut...

Also, it's rated R, so I was disappointed to see people bringing in their kids (under 10) to see the movie...
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

As for Jackie he's just plain old now. Even his recent movies like the Myth and Police Story 5 were crap and they were made in HK. So, saying only his U.S. made films are sh*t isn't exactly true. Their crappy no matter where they were made.

If you want to get right down to it, I can't think of a really good film Jackie made after, oh, Drunken Master 2. Although I do have a soft spot for both Rumble In Vancouver- er, The Bronx and First Strike as goofy fun films with some great stunt work, neither was great. And Shanghai Noon was reasonably entertaining. But that's it. I think he just can't bring himself to retire. What he needs to be doing is directing films with a hot young hand-picked protege. That's what I expected New Police Story to be, but man- wrong!!
post #58 of 89
Thread Starter 
For the most part Jackie Chan has made nothing but gunk since DRUNKEN MASTER 2. I liked FIRST STRIKE and the last two thirds of WHO AM I and of course I did enjoy the first RUSH HOUR, but everything else he has made has pretty much stunk.
post #59 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

I understand what your saying but you still can't compare a TV series to a movie; their two different things. With a TV series there is more time for character development as opposed to a movie where a character's background is referred to just a couple of lines or flashbacks. Still, a cut movie is a cut movie and that is frustrating to watch especially if it's supposed to be about a real person.

Have you heard of Lord of the Rings? Peter sure had enough time telling about this story.

In other words, span it across DVDs. I dont care. I like a long assed movie when its good.
post #60 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyHTPC View Post

Have you heard of Lord of the Rings? Peter sure had enough time telling about this story.

In other words, span it across DVDs. I dont care. I like a long assed movie when its good.



I guess if you had a crap load of cash and pretty much free reign on a project you can tell whatever story you please but with a limited budget and a story that won't pull in a big audience there isn't much you can do freely. There's always a committee looking over your shoulder and counting pennies. I know I've been there. Like I said earlier I agree that if your going to make a movie; it should tell the whole story. That's the reason why TV has a better chance of developing characters since it can span several episodes.

As for Fearless; I think I will wait for the uncut version to view it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Jet Li in FEARLESS: It rocks