or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › New RCA DRC8052N??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New RCA DRC8052N?? - Page 3

post #61 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

I sawthis recorder at Walmart. Looked kind of cheep on the outside. I'm starting to lean toward the Samsung DVD-R135. Has the same features as the RCA but looks more solid plus Samsung has a better rep. Any one see any good reviews on the Samsung?

Seriously? To each their own, I guess. I own one, so I might be a bit biased here, but if anything I think it is put together nicely. Feels heavy and the black and chrome finish is nice IMO. Nicer than the Phillips and Polaroid units. The remote isn't great, but it is better than that other units that I've seen.
post #62 of 227
Thread Starter 
1. I'm in marketing and I've been told by more than three vendors that Walmart/SAMS is so big they get their own models built by many mfgs. This is probably the problem with finding more info on this 8052N unit?
2. I wish just one company would bring back true support and not someone who I know more about the product by following this website than they do!!
3. For anyone out there who owns a 8060N, does the DL disc record straight through from layer 1 to layer 2 or is there a pause/or is this possible? The new Panasonics will use DL but you can only record one layer at at time.
Thanks!
post #63 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Here's a web page that lists several RCAs and their features. The 8052N is the fifth one down. The four units above the 8052N all list TV Guardian, but no mention of it for the 8052N.

I think it's very possible it doesn't have the TV Guardian.

I did see two separate TV Guardian boxes for one-time fee of $59 and $69. That might be a better solution since you can use it with any TV, VCR or recorder in your house...or place it in-line to serve multiple devices!

Apparently, for it to work, a program must broadcast the Closed Caption (CC) audio channel, which is what it reads to blank out the words you don't want to be heard.

Does anyone actually have a RCA DVD player that has the TV Guardian feature? On the RCA web site it looks like most do, including their portable DVD player. The TV Guardian web site also list a bunch of RCA players that have this (but no mention of the 8052N). But what I would like to know from someone who has the TV Guardian feature is a) Does the Owners Manual discuss this feature and b) Do the setup menu's on the DVD player itself have a menu where this can be turned ON/OFF.

The 8052N has nary a word in the Owners Manual or in the Setup Menu's. So IF it is there then it is ON all the time? If I had a DVD where I knew I could test it then I would.
post #64 of 227
Gwave,
I bought the Sammy DVD-R135 back in May. The video quality of the upconversion over HDMI was pretty bad (looked worse than the progressive scan from my six year old JVC multi-changer). Also, I had trouble with some of the discs that I burned (wouldn't play back in other players). I next tried a Samsung DVD-R120 (was on sale at our local Sam's for $65 - has now dropped to $40); again I had problems playing those back in other players. I've been using a Panny DMR ES30V for a couple of years and never had playback problems in any of our players, so I blame the Sammy for my problems. I next picked up the RCA 8052 on ebay and haven't had any issues with it. The upconversion over HDMI is pretty good, and the recording is reliable. There are some things that I would change, but overall, it was worth the $100 I paid for it.
post #65 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamden View Post

Gwave,
I bought the Sammy DVD-R135 back in May. The video quality of the upconversion over HDMI was pretty bad (looked worse than the progressive scan from my six year old JVC multi-changer). Also, I had trouble with some of the discs that I burned (wouldn't play back in other players). I next tried a Samsung DVD-R120 (was on sale at our local Sam's for $65 - has now dropped to $40); again I had problems playing those back in other players. I've been using a Panny DMR ES30V for a couple of years and never had playback problems in any of our players, so I blame the Sammy for my problems. I next picked up the RCA 8052 on ebay and haven't had any issues with it. The upconversion over HDMI is pretty good, and the recording is reliable. There are some things that I would change, but overall, it was worth the $100 I paid for it.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look else where. Any one else know of a good recorder that has HDMI and Divx playback (or record perhaps). For those who had the 8060n and now this one 8052n, which one do you like better? I'm thinking of swaping out of my 8060n due to heat problem and fact that on two discs (over a period of time) I got a region error on a region 1 disk. Also I would like to record on +/- R disks (dual format).
post #66 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look else where. Any one else know of a good recorder that has HDMI and Divx playback (or record perhaps). For those who had the 8060n and now this one 8052n, which one do you like better? I'm thinking of swaping out of my 8060n due to heat problem and fact that on two discs (over a period of time) I got a region error on a region 1 disk. Also I would like to record on +/- R disks (dual format).

In my view the 8060N is a better unit. it can not only record on +/- but also on Dual Layer Discs. Agreed that there has been heat problems reported but i still feel 8060 has more to offer than the 8052.

The other units that you can look at are Philips & Liteon http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?...=25&Itemid=119

http://www.store.philips.com/b2c_red...og&shop=DIRECT

I would stay away from cyberhome as they have removed all recorders from their website.

I just saw the LG DR1H9F one is on sale @ BB and it also has a $10 MIR (LG Website only, expires 7/8/06). This not only does Divx but HDMI to 1080i, it also has a Multi-region Mod available on videohelp.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1141762726820

MIR http://us.lge.com/product/audio_vide...F9H_Rebate.pdf
post #67 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrascafe View Post

In my view the 8060N is a better unit. it can not only record on +/- but also on Dual Layer Discs. Agreed that there has been heat problems reported but i still feel 8060 has more to offer than the 8052.

I just saw the LG DR1H9F one is on sale @ BB and it also has a $10 MIR (LG Website only, expires 7/8/06). This not only does Divx but HDMI to 1080i, it also has a Multi-region Mod available on videohelp.com

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1141762726820

MIR http://us.lge.com/product/audio_vide...F9H_Rebate.pdf

I'm diggin the specs on the LG. Are these units dependable and of good quality?
Also are you sure the 8060n does -R/-RW disks? I tried using some and it didn't take them.
post #68 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

I'm diggin the specs on the LG. Are these units dependable and of good quality?
Also are you sure the 8060n does -R/-RW disks? I tried using some and it didn't take them.

hmmm... Doh!.. My bad.. they dont take - discs...

at this point LG seems to be the best bet. i think they are a decent enough company and make good DVD Drives for PCs.

OR if you wanna sacrifice HDMI upconversion, BB also has a Philips on sale for 169 and so does CC for $8 less

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134703758492

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/howTo...LEncoded=#tabs
post #69 of 227
hmmm. I guess having an hdmi input on my tv I really should pair it up with an hdmi dvd player/recorder. I hope this lg plays nicely with wide screen format disks.
post #70 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

hmmm. I guess having an hdmi input on my tv I really should pair it up with an hdmi dvd player/recorder. I hope this lg plays nicely with wide screen format disks.

The only reason i am leaning towards LG is the Region Mod. otherwise the philips is a better deal as it also offers HDMI output, but no upconversion (Strange)

well if you want cables this is best place to go, i bought one and it is really good than being scalped by BB or CC

http://www.monoprice.com/home/?CartID=&style=
post #71 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrascafe View Post

I just saw the LG DR1H9F one is on sale @ BB and it also has a $10 MIR (LG Website only, expires 7/8/06). This not only does Divx but HDMI to 1080i, it also has a Multi-region Mod

Thanks so much for posting this rebate. I'm thinking of getting this unit but still undecided between it, the Samsung DVDR-145 and the RCA 8060n. I have a Samsung vcr that has been pretty reliable, but I have no experience with their recorders. One thing I like about the DVDR-145 is that it has a satellite receiver control to change channels. The feature I like about the RCA 8060n is the commercial advance. I have this on my Samsung vcr and it works pretty well. However, I have read some reviews where people say the commerical advance in the RCA 8060n will suddenly stop working. I think overall the LG DR1F9H has the most features I'm looking for:

Records to multi-format
Records to DVD Ram
Will play DivX
Upconverts using HDMI connection
Has S video in and out (I had bought a Lite On that didn't have S video and ended up returning it)

I basically want to record tv shows and movies from HBO, and possibly record some older VHS tapes that I own. Right now I have an older crt tv, but want to eventually get an LCD or plasma.

Anyway, thanks again. Any advice for this very confused newbie would be much appreciated
post #72 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4P View Post

Thanks so much for posting this rebate. I'm thinking of getting this unit but still undecided between it, the Samsung DVDR-145 and the RCA 8060n. I have a Samsung vcr that has been pretty reliable, but I have no experience with their recorders. One thing I like about the DVDR-145 is that it has a satellite receiver control to change channels. The feature I like about the RCA 8060n is the commercial advance. I have this on my Samsung vcr and it works pretty well. However, I have read some reviews where people say the commerical advance in the RCA 8060n will suddenly stop working. I think overall the LG DR1F9H has the most features I'm looking for:

Records to multi-format
Records to DVD Ram
Will play DivX
Upconverts using HDMI connection
Has S video in and out (I had bought a Lite On that didn't have S video and ended up returning it)

I basically want to record tv shows and movies from HBO, and possibly record some older VHS tapes that I own. Right now I have an older crt tv, but want to eventually get an LCD or plasma.

Anyway, thanks again. Any advice for this very confused newbie would be much appreciated

The specs on the Samsung DVDr-145 are very simular to the LG. Its a tough call other then which one does a better job at doing what the specs say. Somewhere above someone said the Samsung dvdr-135 did not live up to expectations of pq so might want to consider that if this model shares simular hardware. I do like the fact that it has a cable box control which gives it a slight edge over the LG.
I have the 8060n and its really a no thrills DVDR that tends to warm up even when in stand by. So I'm thinking of swaping it for somethin better. I noticed that some DVD disk still have black bars on the horizontal edges even in widescreen mode and there is no stretch mode. I use zoom but that is not the way to go. I hope the other players handle this better. Not all widescreen discs are true 16:9 so this will happen more often then not so the player should do something about it.
post #73 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

The specs on the Samsung DVDr-145 are very simular to the LG. Its a tough call other then which one does a better job at doing what the specs say. Somewhere above someone said the Samsung dvdr-135 did not live up to expectations of pq so might want to consider that if this model shares simular hardware. I do like the fact that it has a cable box control which gives it a slight edge over the LG.
I have the 8060n and its really a no thrills DVDR that tends to warm up even when in stand by. So I'm thinking of swaping it for somethin better. I noticed that some DVD disk still have black bars on the horizontal edges even in widescreen mode and there is no stretch mode. I use zoom but that is not the way to go. I hope the other players handle this better. Not all widescreen discs are true 16:9 so this will happen more often then not so the player should do something about it.

Thanks for your reply, Gwave. I really appreciate your input. I'm leaning towards the LG. Another reason being is their customer support/service seems to be better than Samsung and RCA. Too bad it doesn't have the commercial advance or set top box controller. I guess you can't have everything
post #74 of 227
It does NOT and mean does NOT have the TV Guardian feature that the RCA web site and the RCA customer service reps say it has.

I bought this until from Walmart beause I valued the TV Guardian feature more than the Commercial Advance feature of the 8060N. But when I got the 8052N there was nary a word about TV Guardian in either the Owners Manual or the DVD Setup Menu. I emailed TV Guardian and they did not have the 8052N as having this feature. I called RCA Customer Service once again a week ago and they said they would research it and get back to me in 2 days (this was 8 days ago).

So I listened to Hellboy DVD and marked ehwre there were curse words on another DVD player. I then went to these areas on the RCA 8052N to see if the TV Guardain was "built in" and it isn't. So the 8052N doesn't have this feature built in nor does it mention TV Guardain in the Owners manual or the Setup Menu of the 8052N.

So RCA's website is lying about this and their customer service reps are too stupid about their own equipment. It also doesn't have Commercial Advance like the 8060Nos IMO the 8060N is the better unit afterall. I took my 8052N back to Wally World for a refund. Bad RCA!!!!
post #75 of 227
This is why I come to boards like this for info because you can never tell if products specs are right especially on "New" models because at the time they printed up the info it was usually correct but then the bean counters or whatever made some changes & that's why most specs have a disclaimer on them saying that they were correct at the time of printing but can change at anytime.

From what I've seen on Companies Websites all they seem to do is copy the first run Printed Spec. Sheets & it takes them forever to correct the Website if there were any chances to the product.

Who knows maybe RCA came in with a price that Wal-Mart din't like so they took off the Guardian to meet the price that Wal-mart would pay but the specs. on paper never got changed?
post #76 of 227
RCA has upgraded their page on the 8052. New info (no mention of DVD Guardian, the foul language filter) on the unit is there. They have also posted the instruction manual and spec sheet). Here's the link.
post #77 of 227
Update. Ok so I went ahead an exchanged my rca 8060N for another one that looked like it had newer firmware. It did have 5.16. What I noticed different about this one is the menu system is slightly better and it records to DVD-RW which the other one did not. Also I was able to play a movie DVD fine that on my old 8060N was giving me a Region Error. So the new one seems to have improved. Also it does not get as hot as the old one did. So I guess they improved on it. Will I keep it rather then get the LG? Time will tell.
post #78 of 227
I have been considering getting the DRC8052N, but was wondering if anyone could tell me for sure if the dvdr has an analog tuner, or a digital tuner? I have a nice Sanyo HDTV with both analog and digital tuners, and I am wanting to make sure that I get a dvdr that recieves digital tv signals, not that analog signals that it stores in digital format. if the DCR8052N doesn't recieve digital signals, would appreciate any input that anyone could give me about other brands/models of dvdr that would do what i am needing. Thank you.

WarmShadow
post #79 of 227
I don't believe there are any DVD Recorders out today that have digital tuners.
post #80 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmShadow View Post

I have been considering getting the DRC8052N, but was wondering if anyone could tell me for sure if the dvdr has an analog tuner, or a digital tuner? I have a nice Sanyo HDTV with both analog and digital tuners, and I am wanting to make sure that I get a dvdr that recieves digital tv signals, not that analog signals that it stores in digital format. if the DCR8052N doesn't recieve digital signals, would appreciate any input that anyone could give me about other brands/models of dvdr that would do what i am needing. Thank you.

WarmShadow

The only DVR with ATSC and NTSC tuners I've found is an LG unit that I don't think has a DVD recorder, just a HDD.

Here's a link (see links towards bottom of page for more info.)
post #81 of 227
Back to the RCA:

For those folks who have this unit: I attempted to record a 3 hour show the other night on NBC (ok, I admit it, it was the Miami Vice special).......

Anyway, I had set the recording mode to 3-hr and manually hit record at the start of the show. Lo-and-behold when I went back to check the disc (it was previously empty) it only got the first hour. Why would this be?
post #82 of 227
I went ahead and purchased the RCA DRC8052N after reading the reviews of its picture quality in this forum. I hooked it up through the HDMI cable set it for highest setting and was not impressed at all with the picture quality. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to turn on upconverting or turn off something else? My old progressive scan via component actually looks better. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #83 of 227
Woot.com is featuring this player at the moment. Advertised price is 129.

I want to add a caveat that I personally haven't used woot yet. I've heard of others who have.

This player sure seems like it has a really consumer-friendly set of features.

My hope is that all the clever readers on AVS find out the codes for region unlock and user override controls.
post #84 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman15 View Post

I went ahead and purchased the RCA DRC8052N after reading the reviews of its picture quality in this forum. I hooked it up through the HDMI cable set it for highest setting and was not impressed at all with the picture quality. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to turn on upconverting or turn off something else? My old progressive scan via component actually looks better. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.


You do have to hit the upconverting button on the RCA remote BUT your TV might have a better scaler than the RCA does. I found that I get a better picture from DVD's using plain ole 480p and letting the TV upconvert to 1080p wiht the internal scaler.

There was a review in Perfect Vision (I think) about 2 months ago and only 1-2 DVD players out of about 20 reviewed, showed a better picture with HDMI upconverting to 1080i. All the others had the best picture with 480p via Component Cables.

So in my personal experience and in a professional review, the HDMI upconversion isn't worth it and actually is worse in most cases.
post #85 of 227
Let me say I recommend upconverting to get this best quality picture from any source. Which this unit gives you.
I find this DVD recorder gives you a lot for your money.
The only problem I'm having is the unit Freezing while setting up to playing a divx files.
But only with divx files.
I'll have several files on a DVD-RW and I go to the Title screen and its seems to happen if I pick a file and don't let it preview first. But then again it could happen from moving around on that screen to fast.
This is my 2nd unit having the same problem.
Anyone have any ideas?
Other than that the picture is amazing comming from this unit.
post #86 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

Let me say I recommend upconverting to get this best quality picture from any source. Which this unit gives you.
I find this DVD recorder gives you a lot for your money.
The only problem I'm having is the unit Freezing while setting up to playing a divx files.
But only with divx files.
I'll have several files on a DVD-RW and I go to the Title screen and its seems to happen if I pick a file and don't let it preview first. But then again it could happen from moving around on that screen to fast.
This is my 2nd unit having the same problem.
Anyone have any ideas?
Other than that the picture is amazing comming from this unit.

To bad RCA makes junk!!!!
post #87 of 227
I bought the recorder over a month ago..had tried a couple of other brands from Best Buy both by Toshiba and was not happy with the HDMI conversion PQ on either one.

The RCA version is quite good and have been well pleased. Only drawback so far is yes it only has a coaxial connection for Dolby Digital and not an optical..they commented on the load time but for me the only time it is slow is when you initialy turn it on..as far as after it is on and you hit play it is fine and for 140 bucks it isnt a bad recorder considering Divix and upconversion.

One other issue I am having is some of my burned DVD's playback I have freeze ups usally the last 30 minutes of the movie...anyone else having this issue and if so is there a firmware upgrade to correct it?
post #88 of 227
how do you do upscaling of 1080i signal on rca8060n? I tried the zoom button but it just zooms the picture.
post #89 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

The only problem I'm having is the unit Freezing while setting up to playing a divx files.
But only with divx files.
I'll have several files on a DVD-RW and I go to the Tile screen and its seems to happen if I pick a file and don't let it preview first. But then again it could happen from moving around on that screen to fast.
This is my 2nd unit having the same problem.
Anyone have any ideas?

Try the same divx file on a CD?
post #90 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

The only DVR with ATSC and NTSC tuners I've found is an LG unit that I don't think has a DVD recorder, just a HDD.

Here's a link (see links towards bottom of page for more info.)

Don't forget the 2 Sony units.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › New RCA DRC8052N??