or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Polaroid DVD Recorder
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polaroid DVD Recorder - Page 3

post #61 of 2859
thanks, the "switch" I was referring to is actually a component connection box
post #62 of 2859
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just got back from Wal-Mart. The component connection box they have for $20 is a manual Phillips unit which has 4 inputs and one output. You can do any combination of composite, s-video, or component input/output.
post #63 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

Is there a way to connect my sa8300hd to both my tv AND this polaroid recorder, both using component video cables ?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103918
post #64 of 2859
Vin,

I have read some reports of this box not supporting resolutions above 480p very well. Do you have any personal experience with this box?
post #65 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1_too View Post

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just got back from Wal-Mart. The component connection box they have for $20 is a manual Phillips unit which has 4 inputs and one output. You can do any combination of composite, s-video, or component input/output.

The manual switch will also work in reverse, i.e., the output becomes the input for the source and the inputs become outputs to send the source signal to different devices, albeit, to one device at a time.
post #66 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

Vin,

I have read some reports of this box not supporting resolutions above 480p very well. Do you have any personal experience with this box?

No Dave, no personal experience with it.....maybe someone who has used it successfully for 720p/1080i will chime in.
post #67 of 2859
tonyjur did you had a chance to play with it more to give us more feedback on this promising dvd recorder?

Also does anybody know the real reason why all Polaroid units were pulled out of Wallmart? and when is Wallmart expecting them back in stock? I believe Wallmart is the only retailer carrying them

TIA,

mc
post #68 of 2859
I saw a stack of these on the shelf at our local WalMart last night.

I don't know if they are some that should have been recalled or some that have returned since the recall.
post #69 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

I saw a stack of these on the shelf at our local WalMart last night.

I don't know if they are some that should have been recalled or some that have returned since the recall.

Please keep us in the loop, I went with the new Philips hdd dvr myself, however it was bought on ebay (I'm still waiting for a reply from a seller ). I called my closest US walmart (north NY) 3 times last week and they didn't have them.
post #70 of 2859
Last I checked (today) they were still listed as out of stock but they were outa stock back when they first showed up too. I just got a 250 gig cheap hard drive today too and was hoping they'd come back in soon so I could try it in one
post #71 of 2859
My local store refused to sell me one due to the recall, so I ordered it from Walmart online..
Had it hooked up and running just fine, realtime record and timesynch, the works (except DVD to HDD)
Until I tried to watch something on a HighDef channel and it was not compatable with the High Def signal..

One annoying thing about the box though...If it was powered off it did not default to the last selected output mode (in my case YUV) but back to coax.

I had hooked it up
HD Cable box ---Component cables---DRM-2001G----Component cables-----TV

No help from "customer service" either......
post #72 of 2859
No current DVD Recorder can accept more than 480i. Unless you wait for a High-Definition Recorder, the next one you get will have the same problem.
post #73 of 2859
Any more user comments on this model? The price is very tempting :-)
post #74 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longswos View Post

My local store refused to sell me one due to the recall, so I ordered it from Walmart online..
Had it hooked up and running just fine, realtime record and timesynch, the works (except DVD to HDD)
Until I tried to watch something on a HighDef channel and it was not compatable with the High Def signal..

One annoying thing about the box though...If it was powered off it did not default to the last selected output mode (in my case YUV) but back to coax.

I had hooked it up
HD Cable box ---Component cables---DRM-2001G----Component cables-----TV

No help from "customer service" either......


How did you order it from Wal-Mart online? It has been out of stock since it was first listed, and they won't sell it to me either. If you have knowledge of how to obtain this unit, please share....

Thanks.
post #75 of 2859
Wal-Mart at Lynnwood, Wa has some. I picked one up in case I cant get my Pio 531 working again.
post #76 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

No current DVD Recorder can accept more than 480i. Unless you wait for a High-Definition Recorder, the next one you get will have the same problem.

I understand about it not recording HD but what about when recording 16:9 material,
how do you get rid of the gray bars on top and bottom? Why do DVD recorders do this?
My TV is 16:9 but it's like they record with a box all the way around the recorded
content. This may be a bad way to discribe it.
post #77 of 2859
OK, I have unboxed and hooked this up to try it out. Looks like someone either misassembled it, or tried to pry it open, the front fascia wasnt seated properly in the case, and it caused the drawer to not open/close properly. I was able to pop it back properly tho. The remote is a pain, its very small and the buttons are small. Other than that, the only issue I see is that when a timer recording is scheduled, there is a small clock displayed in the bottom corner of the screen, and I cant figure out how to get it to go away, other than cancelling the recording, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the thing, for me at least. Anyone else have this issue, or figure out how to make it go away? I missed Polaroid customer service by 5 minutes, wil try tomorrow, but I dotn have my hopes up that they will know a fix.
post #78 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niqjh View Post

OK, I have unboxed and hooked this up to try it out. Looks like someone either misassembled it, or tried to pry it open, the front fascia wasnt seated properly in the case, and it caused the drawer to not open/close properly. I was able to pop it back properly tho. The remote is a pain, its very small and the buttons are small. Other than that, the only issue I see is that when a timer recording is scheduled, there is a small clock displayed in the bottom corner of the screen, and I cant figure out how to get it to go away, other than cancelling the recording, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the thing, for me at least. Anyone else have this issue, or figure out how to make it go away? I missed Polaroid customer service by 5 minutes, wil try tomorrow, but I dotn have my hopes up that they will know a fix.

Does yours have an updated manual or is it the pre-recall user manual?

If it is a post-recall model, maybe the missassembly was because they tried to fix something inside? (or perhaps it was a return?)

Did you try any of the 2.5h or 3h or 4h modes?
post #79 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

I understand about it not recording HD but what about when recording 16:9 material,
how do you get rid of the gray bars on top and bottom?

I understand your problem, and someone makes a Topic in this Forum at least weekly asking the same question. Take a look back through the Topics, many of them have 16:9 in their title. Also, the Sticky Topic at the top of the Forum has a thorough treatment of this problem. I alone have addressed it a half dozen times. Look for some of my posts with the word 'Anamorphic' in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

Why do DVD recorders do this? My TV is 16:9 but it's like they record with a box all the way around the recorded
content. This may be a bad way to discribe it.

DVD Recorders specifically DO NOT do this, you will learn that when you "read all about it" in the substantial amount that's already been written.
post #80 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

I understand your problem, and someone makes a Topic in this Forum at least weekly asking the same question. Take a look back through the Topics, many of them have 16:9 in their title. Also, the Sticky Topic at the top of the Forum has a thorough treatment of this problem. I alone have addressed it a half dozen times. Look for some of my posts with the word 'Anamorphic' in them.
DVD Recorders specifically DO NOT do this, you will learn that when you "read all about it" in the substantial amount that's already been written.

Bob - don't you agree we badly need a sticky on this?- I agree with everything you say- maybe you can write it and convince admin to post. Actually I just saw that we HAVE a sticky on this- maybe it is titled wrong. It should be something such as "16:9 Recording and Bars on your DVDR"-
post #81 of 2859
Yes we definitely need a Sticky Topic on this subject. It's quite simple to explain, yet so many people have trouble understanding it.

When I get a chance (in the next couple of days) I'll commit my best explanation to a text file. Then either approach an Administrator of this Forum about posting it as a Sticky Topic, or, failing that, simply post it anyway, at least it can then be linked to in response to these questions.
post #82 of 2859
I got mine at Wal-Mart, I literally had to talk them into selling it to me because it wouldn't ring through the register. One of the department guys called someone and they did an override so I got it. So far so good, I have a lot of things I want to do with it. I like it, the HDD is nice and clear and so is the Optical Disk I recorded.

I haven't noticed any motor noise, but I was concentrating so hard that I may not have noticed anything.

The manual is confusing. It took me forever to figure out how to Auto tune my channels (APS - duh). Make sure to set your subtitles to off from the set-up menu because I couldn't change it once a DVD was in the machine. I can't find any reference to using DVD-R/-RW only DVD+R/+RW, maybe that is on the more expensive machine.

The remote is difficult, you really have to make sure it is lined up with the sensor or it won't do anything and it seems like it is a really narrow window. I finally found that I can set my timer through the remote timer button easier than going through the set-up button and also the rec to button changed from HDD to Optical Disk to DV (don't have it) with a push of a button.

I have connected my VCR (plays and records through channel 3), and my DVD player (rear S-Video). I couldn't figure out how to change the video source until my nephew read on-line that you just keep pushing the monitor button until you get to the right source. I could probably hook up my VCR either in the back or the front but so far this is working fine.

I recorded to the HDD and to an optical disk. I used the segment feature (push the OK button in the middle) with the program to take out the commercials on the HDD and I found that you really have to hold down the button to make it work. I was just pressing it and I couldn't get it to come on. Of course with the size of the buttons you almost can't help but push another button at the same time. The nice part is that in the edit mode you can fast forward to make sure the segment has started or ended then go on. Also you can go back later and make adjustments to the segments before you save to Optical disk.

I haven't played with the Optical disk much yet, I just changed the chapter title picture. I haven't used the split or the time shift.

My biggest complaint: How do I get rid of the military time display? I have set the time for am/pm and all the programs have set up correctly but the front of the machine shows 24 hour time.
post #83 of 2859
OK, just got off the phone with Polaroid, and no surprise, they dont know how to get rid of the timer icon. I have also discovered that this is onscreen even when watching a commercial dvd. Not good. If there isnt a way of getting rid of that, I cant see too many people wanting to keep the machine. Hopefully there is a fix. They are going to research it, and get back to me in 3-5 business days. I will have to see how the time shows up this afternoon to see if I have 24 hr time or not, I honestly didnt notice last nite one way or the other. Otherwise this seems to be a pretty cool little machine, and it seems pretty easy to use, not overly complicated like some machines.
post #84 of 2859
I have no idea whether or not this unit will recognize different components, but the hard drive and burner are both 40-pin IDE units.

Before I hooked things up, thought I would peek inside. It appears well laid out and clean. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar 80-Gig unit. I did not take the shield off the burner, so have no idea what it is. The main circuit board is labeled LSI PVR-1000 if that means anything to those of you who understand these things. The remote is somewhat small/crowded, but it is still as good as, or better than most.

I basically wanted to know if the hard drive was user replaceable and unless it requires some service programming it appears to be so. The cover is back on and it is going in the cabinet. If the PQ is good, it will definitely be a keeper.
post #85 of 2859
Are you having the same issue with the timer record icon staying on-screen?

I recorded a few things on the 3 hr setting on the hdd, and I thought they looked just fine.

Except of course for the icon that wont go away....
post #86 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niqjh View Post

Are you having the same issue with the timer record icon staying on-screen?

I recorded a few things on the 3 hr setting on the hdd, and I thought they looked just fine.

Except of course for the icon that wont go away....


I'm afraid it will be a day or so before I get it completely connected. Grandkids currently have control of the TV. Perhaps another owner will be able to answer your question before that.
post #87 of 2859
I just put in a commercial DVD and the only thing on my screen is the movie, no timer icon. So there must be a way to shut it off. I also put in something I saved on the HDD last night and the timer icon goes away right after it begins playing.
post #88 of 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisEP View Post

I just put in a commercial DVD and the only thing on my screen is the movie, no timer icon. So there must be a way to shut it off.


Did you have a timer recording scheduled when you did this?
post #89 of 2859
My Icon is still showing, regardless of what we are watching. I do have timer recordings scheduled continuously (weekly) tho. I am wondering if your icon is going away after a one time event. If not then I must have a defective machine or something. I must say tho, that otherwise, the more I use this, the more I like it.
post #90 of 2859
No, I have only scheduled 1-time events so far. I'll probably start using it for everyday recording once a couple of the cable shows start up with their new episodes again just so I can play with it some more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Polaroid DVD Recorder