or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 339

post #10141 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I'm a fan of Blue Jeans cables as well. I've got a 50 foot HDMI cable from them that is working great, it's the BJC Series-2. Blue Jeans now has HDMI cables that are one step better.

I have a 25foot length of the "better" Blue Jeans cable. Let me just say it is like a snake. It is very nicely constructed but I'm not sure I'd recommend it because it has so much "memory" that it could almost pull itself out of the socket!
post #10142 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshd View Post

Has Anyone Had Any Luck With A Usb To Serial Adapter And If So Which One And From Where? Hope I Don"t Have To Look For A Different Laptop Have To Be Ready For When Room Eq Is Out

Bought one from Radio Shack (Source by Circuit City) and it works fine.
post #10143 of 42662
I hooked up my oppo 980 to my new Black Pearl...great picture, works fine etc...

Hooked up the Oppo to the newly upgraded D1-HD and out to the Black Pearl. No picture...initially. Went downstairs to get an svideo cable thinking that I might have to change a setting in the menu or something. Just as I was plugging in the svideo cable (I know, I should've turned the power off first) it flashed something about hdcp and then I had picture from the hdmi. I think it was just coincidence, but it was a long wait for the first picture. Just one brief flicker intially with Toy Story after a few seconds but no obvious glitches since then. The Black Pearl is so quiet! I didn't find the Anthem to run all that hot (like previous reports), so the 9351 chip is cooler I guess. There was more heat from the power supply side than over the video board.

I haven't calibrated or anything but based on the "first impression" I'm quite pleased with the Anthem.

I'm going to get those monoprice hdmi dongles before that python-cable from Blue Jeans rips out the hdmi port!
post #10144 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

I'm going to get those monoprice hdmi dongles before that python-cable from Blue Jeans rips out the hdmi port!

HDMI connectors on ANY product are not made
for supporting any HDMI cable. Many people
have screwed up their HDMI ports by not
understanding how fragile the connector is

I USE these HDMI cables because they have a locking
mechanism and stress relief built-in to the cable and
connector

I also use the MonoPrice Dongles for short cable runs.
post #10145 of 42662
hey bogg was the adapter from radio shack an adapter cable? that is the only thing I can find in my local rs they wanted like 38.00 or so and it was only six feet didn"t want to buy it if it won"t work. would you know the part number of yours?
post #10146 of 42662
Does anyone have the MX-850 Universal remote programmed with the D2 commands? I'd love to have a copy of the file if possible.
post #10147 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Does anyone have the MX-850 Universal remote programmed with the D2 commands? I'd love to have a copy of the file if possible.


Rob,

When you going to have the gang over? Get Sanjay to work on the surround, ray on the BFD, and John on the display. I will take your new toy out for a drive.

Michael
post #10148 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshd View Post

hey bogg was the adapter from radio shack an adapter cable? that is the only thing I can find in my local rs they wanted like 38.00 or so and it was only six feet didn"t want to buy it if it won"t work. would you know the part number of yours?

It's a Nexxtech usb to serial, model number 2613297. It's about 2 feet long, and I think it was around 20 bucks or so.
post #10149 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Does anyone have the MX-850 Universal remote programmed with the D2 commands? I'd love to have a copy of the file if possible.

Yes, I have an MX-850, but I have a AVM50. Good enough?
post #10150 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by m396 #00-011 View Post

Yes, I have an MX-850, but I have a AVM50. Good enough?

I don't know.

Are all the commands on the remote the same?
post #10151 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Rob,

When you going to have the gang over? Get Sanjay to work on the surround, ray on the BFD, and John on the display. I will take your new toy out for a drive.

Michael

Let's just say sometime in 2008! I was hoping to have had a meet by now, but it wasn't in the cards. It will happen eventually though.

As far as my new toy, I have no idea what you are talking about!
post #10152 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshd View Post

Has Anyone Had Any Luck With A Usb To Serial Adapter And If So Which One And From Where? Hope I Don"t Have To Look For A Different Laptop Have To Be Ready For When Room Eq Is Out

I went through 2 before I found one that worked with my HP notebook and the AVM-50.

Model: 26-183

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
post #10153 of 42662
Will the room correction software be introduced at CES or earlier?
post #10154 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc999 View Post

Will the room correction software be introduced at CES or earlier?

I have no idea....but I sure hope so!
post #10155 of 42662
bogg and budeone thanks for the info the radio shack 26-183 is the same one I looked at in my local store. I"ll pick one up and hope it works for me also . my closest cc is 130 miles away
post #10156 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

HDMI connectors on ANY product are not made
for supporting any HDMI cable. Many people
have screwed up their HDMI ports by not
understanding how fragile the connector is

I USE these HDMI cables because they have a locking
mechanism and stress relief built-in to the cable and
connector

I also use the MonoPrice Dongles for short cable runs.

Those locking cables look like a great idea. I had seen them before but forgot about them when I ordered the BJ cables.
post #10157 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Those locking cables look like a great idea. I had seen them before but forgot about them when I ordered the BJ cables.

They WORK nice also - good locking and stress relief
post #10158 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

They WORK nice also - good locking and stress relief

Dr., some may not get your post quickly, but I can recognize a twisted mind from across the internet.
post #10159 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post

I went through 2 before I found one that worked with my HP notebook and the AVM-50.

Model: 26-183

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

With all the problems with USB adapters, has anyone tried one of these ?

Startech.com CB2S650 16950 Serial PCMCIA CardBus Adapter (2-port)
http://www.startech.com/Product/Item...d=CB2S650&c=US
post #10160 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

A lot of us with HD DVRs DO NOT USE HDMI at all.

Therefore no handshake problems

I've tried component between my S3 TiVo and AVM50 for just this reason. Yes, the handshake issues go away, but I find the picture quality suffers, both losing a trace of detail and sharpness and appearing to have some chroma issues (e.g. the puff-ball on Stan's hat in South Park shows red-push and banding).

I've got both HDMI and component hooked up and switching back and forth between the two the HDMI is clearly superior.

Now, I know you can employ some detail enhancement and correct chroma error in the Anthem, but I'd really rather start with the best possible signal.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong here? Are there any other S3 TiVo users who have achieved as good a result with component as with HDMI?

-Ravi
post #10161 of 42662
I used the D2 codes from a configuration file for my AVM50 to program my Pronto so they must be the same.
post #10162 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

They WORK nice also - good locking and stress relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

HDMI connectors on ANY product are not made
for supporting any HDMI cable. Many people
have screwed up their HDMI ports by not
understanding how fragile the connector is

I USE these HDMI cables because they have a locking
mechanism and stress relief built-in to the cable and
connector

I also use the MonoPrice Dongles for short cable runs.

Did you find a way to adapt these to the D2? My D1-HD (D2) does not appear to be compatible. I think about 1/2 of my components would allow for the ball to be installed (I wish all of them did because it looks like a VERY good idea). I currently use wire-ties to lock the cables down somewhere in the run.
post #10163 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Dr., some may not get your post quickly, but I can recognize a twisted mind from across the internet.

post #10164 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C5 View Post

Did you find a way to adapt these to the D2? My D1-HD (D2) does not appear to be compatible. I think about 1/2 of my components would allow for the ball to be installed (I wish all of them did because it looks like a VERY good idea). I currently use wire-ties to lock the cables down somewhere in the run.

Would you believe a DRILL

I agree with you - all my other equipment has the
Screw under the HDMI connector. Anthem does not
have the screw. That only proves Anthem is NOT
OUT TO SCREW their customers [GRIN]!
post #10165 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichopra View Post

I've tried component between my S3 TiVo and AVM50 for just this reason. Yes, the handshake issues go away, but I find the picture quality suffers, both losing a trace of detail and sharpness and appearing to have some chroma issues (e.g. the puff-ball on Stan's hat in South Park shows red-push and banding).

-Ravi

I use SONY DVRs (5 of them).

I have two of them hooked to my D2 - originally
via HDMI. Before I switched to Component. I did
a freeze fame-by-frame comparison with one hooked
up via component and one hooked up via HDMI.

On a 156" - I could not see any difference.

One thing that might be different is I have my SONY
DVRs set to output 1080i all the time. I don't use
native 480i from the DVR. I use the Anthem to convert
from 1080i to 1080p.

I also DO NOT WATCH any 480i TV - only HD Channels.
post #10166 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Would you believe a DRILL

I agree with you - all my other equipment has the
Screw under the HDMI connector. Anthem does not
have the screw. That only proves Anthem is NOT
OUT TO SCREW their customers [GRIN]!

You drill into the rear panel ??

Please Explain
post #10167 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

You drill into the rear panel ??

Please Explain

I was only KIDDING
post #10168 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I was only KIDDING

At least until the warranty is expired
post #10169 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichopra View Post

I've tried component between my S3 TiVo and AVM50 for just this reason. Yes, the handshake issues go away, but I find the picture quality suffers, both losing a trace of detail and sharpness and appearing to have some chroma issues (e.g. the puff-ball on Stan's hat in South Park shows red-push and banding).

I've got both HDMI and component hooked up and switching back and forth between the two the HDMI is clearly superior.

Now, I know you can employ some detail enhancement and correct chroma error in the Anthem, but I'd really rather start with the best possible signal.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong here? Are there any other S3 TiVo users who have achieved as good a result with component as with HDMI?

-Ravi

Hmm, I have a D2 and a TivoHD (very similar to the S3 hardware). I just switched it to component and optical from HDMI to get rid of the switching artifacts.

I can't really notice ANY loss in clarity. The TivoHD is a pretty decent picture, and I'm getting my signal through OTA (roof-mounted antenna). However, when I do an A/B comparison between the TivoHD and it's tuner and my Samsung 260F tuner, the Samsung is sharper and clearer. Thus, anything I want in ultimate clarity, I will watch LIVE on the Samsung.

All I can say is try another set of component cables to see if that makes a difference. You do need decent component cables (I assume you have them already, but if not...)

Maybe there IS a hardware difference between the older S3 and the new TivoHD insofar as the component circuitry is concerned.
post #10170 of 42662
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Correct leave it at DVD-A if you want the best audio, sometimes there is video on the DVD-V layer not on the DVD-A layer so you may still want to check it out.

Correct DTS will only come on if you are playing the video layer and have the DTS track selected on the disk. The DVD-A MLP audio is unpacked in the player and sent out as PCM much like Dolby TrueHD on HD DVD and Blu-ray.

There is a button on the remote (forget label) that switches HDMI resolution, the disk has to be stopped. For normal DVD watching you would still want 480i so the Anthem does the upscaling. The only time you need to increase it is for hi resolution audio such has DVD-A and SACD.

Obie: I don't believe anyone ever responded to this: Under the Audio Setup Page, there is an option for LPCM rate. Mine is set at 48 k. Should I change this sampling rate to 92 k to equal that of the disk I am playing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide