or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 399

post #11941 of 42670
2 of them are actually "ejector seats"...
post #11942 of 42670
For your edification, here's the ARC-1 operating guide.

Jim

 

ARC-1 Operating Guide.pdf 202.87890625k . file
post #11943 of 42670
Is it possible to do CMS with the D2. I've read that the JVC RS2 projector needs color mngt. and was wondering if the D2 could help.
post #11944 of 42670
For what it's worth, I don't think the RS2 needs much help color wise. Compared to my RS1, it's miles better. I have a pro calibrated 3 chip dlp and I can't see any big dif between the colors.
post #11945 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

For what it's worth, I don't think the RS2 needs much help color wise. Compared to my RS1, it's miles better. I have a pro calibrated 3 chip dlp and I can't see any big dif between the colors.

That's interesting Ian. I thought people were saying that the colors on the RS2 were worse than the RS1 because they are even more saturated?
post #11946 of 42670
Just for the record, I was able to upgrade my AVM 50 from 1.20 to 1.31 successfully. I have a laptop without a serial port and no usb adaptor, so I had to disconnect everything from the Anthem and bring it upstairs to my PC. At least it worked after all that.
Among other things, one 'repair' that the 1.31 SW seems to have made is taking care of an HDMI handshake issue that I was having between my AVM50 and TIVO. (Yes, I am knocking on wood.)
Hurray for the Techs at Anthem!! It's like the difference between a Home Depot and a REAL lumber yard---good customer service is worth it's weight in gold.
post #11947 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

Is it possible to do CMS with the D2. I've read that the JVC RS2 projector needs color mngt. and was wondering if the D2 could help.

The D2 and AVM-50 can have custom Gamma curves loaded into them using the Live Video Settings Editor on a Windows PC. Once loaded, they become available as a Gamma correction setting. In addition to a single gray-scale Gamma curve, separate curves for R, G, and B are supported.

This can be used to do some degree of color correction for displays that need it, but it is by no means straightforward nor, even when done right, as good as making the corrections in the display itself if possible.

ETA: Let me add that this is not a limitation unique to the D2. The HDMI cable carries an 8 bit value for each of R, G, and B for each pixel. That's just 256 steps for each of them. If you change the linearity of the signal you are sending to the display -- in an effort to correct for processing mistakes in the display -- then you must lose some of those steps (either by skipping them or compressing them somewhere along the scale from dark to light). There is no other way to get the data over into the display. Thus it is a band-aid solution. It is much MUCH better to get a display that does its job correctly or which can be adjusted internally to do its job correctly. Feeding data to the display which has been distorted to counter a mistake in the display causes loss of information.
--Bob
post #11948 of 42670
Has anybody ALREADY USING ARC done the upgrade from V1.30 or V1.30a to V1.31 in the Anthem and the corresponding software on the Windows PC?

I've had a report that there may be a problem preserving the ARC's licensing (which is tied to the Anthem's serial number) during this upgrade. I suspect this will turn out to be a simple mistake in how this latest upgrade was done, but I'd like to confirm that at least SOMEBODY here has done that upgrade and their ARC Windows software and the loading of results to the Anthem is still working correctly.
--Bob
post #11949 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

The subs which could be seen - but not in the
pictures are under the two coffee tables.

The other 6 subs can't be seen.

Since below 16 Hz Humans can't HEAR but they can feel.

Therefore they are 4 of them inside the seats

And then 2 under the floor that moves the floor
of the theater UP and DOWN

Even though if you add up all my numbers you get
to 8 subs - versus the 6 I talk about that is because
the 8 subs are broken down into 6 channels for
distribution.

Cooool. I didn't realize the buttshakers need/take so much power! So Bob wasn't kidding about your ht being a lowrider with the bouncing up and down action.
post #11950 of 42670
Question time:
Do I need to contact Anthem to get the userid and password to the tech site for the 1.31 firmware or is that information provided with the ARC package. Doh, just read the manual hopefully they are shipping the latest version.

Also does the tech site have more than one version of software posted?
I'd like to have a copy of my current firmware(1.20) on-hand in case there are problems and I need to reload it.
Thanks.
post #11951 of 42670
I'm getting my D2 installed on Wednesday, replacing a Sunfire Theater Grand IV and separate DVDO VP-50. I considered canceling my order for the D2 after reading that it cannot accept more than 5.1 channels of input. That means the films that are just starting to appear in HD with 6.1 and 7.1 channels of discrete sound via either uncompressed PCM or player decoded DTS-HD/True HD will get downmixed to 5.1, then matrixed to a pseudo 7.1 via the D2's surround flavors. I was shocked by that. Why wouldn't a 7.1 output pre/pro have the ability to input 7.1 channels?? Especially for over 7k, Anthem needs an upgrade to HDMI 1.3. I don't care if they ever internally decode the HD formats from bitstream... the players can do that... but more and more movies are going to be coming out in 7.1 sound over the next year and beyond. Did I just pay $7k for an already obsolete pre/pro???

Somebody give me some love for the D2. What about the video performance? Will it stack up well in comparison to the DVDO? Can the D2 be upgraded hardware-wise to eventually accept the full 7.1 inputs? How well does the 7.1 to 5.1 to not quite the same 7.1 really compare to full 7.1? Am I going to be happy with this unit?
post #11952 of 42670
Thanks for the info on the Keyspan.

Turns out there is a vendor within slapshot distance of my ARC-1 dealer so its all good.

Cheers,

Richard
post #11953 of 42670
I can't answer your video questions specific to the DVDO50 other than to say I remember posts with favorable comparisons a ways back... maybe way back so don't quote me.

As far as the audio goes, as it has been mentioned here many times, there is an AVS member called Filmmixer who is a professional movie sound mixer and he basically says its pretty darn close.

To the point where he has a hard time telling them apart.

I sure love mine so there is hope

Cheers,

Richard
post #11954 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Also does the tech site have more than one version of software posted?

No. only the last one.

I'm interested as well in old firmware version...
post #11955 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Has anybody ALREADY USING ARC done the upgrade from V1.30 or V1.30a to V1.31 in the Anthem and the corresponding software on the Windows PC?

I've had a report that there may be a problem preserving the ARC's licensing (which is tied to the Anthem's serial number) during this upgrade. I suspect this will turn out to be a simple mistake in how this latest upgrade was done, but I'd like to confirm that at least SOMEBODY here has done that upgrade and their ARC Windows software and the loading of results to the Anthem is still working correctly.
--Bob

Bob, I did. I had no issues preserving the ARC's licensing after undertaking all three upgrades. As I recall, however, Nick gave us specific instructions to manually remove the ARC.exe from 1.30 to 1.30a before upgrading. 1.31 does replaces it automatically. So, I suspect that the user you are referring to failed to abide by the upgrade instructions.

Also, I was specifically warned by email instructions that if I had to re-enter the D2 serial number or the microphone number that I had better enter it correctly on the first attempt or my D2 would have to go back to the factory for reprogramming. So, everybody had better be very careful when the ARC packages do start shipping.

By the way, so far I am extremely satisfied with my new ARC setup. It has modified the audio responses by overcoming a side half wall and a rear skylight carve out in my loft room. I am still experimenting with some of the settings manually to compare to the automatic ones and fine tune/redial everything in.
post #11956 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Cooool. I didn't realize the buttshakers need/take so much power! So Bob wasn't kidding about your ht being a lowrider with the bouncing up and down action.

It takes a lot or POWER to move 2x12 Flooring

And with the SIZE OF MY BUTT - moving the seats also
takes a lot of power
post #11957 of 42670
Quote:


Why wouldn't a 7.1 output pre/pro have the ability to input 7.1 channels?? Especially for over 7k, Anthem needs an upgrade to HDMI 1.3

it's because of the pair of DSP used, from Nick:
Quote:


Motorola 56367 wasn't designed for more than 6 input channels (DTS-ES hid the back channel in the surrounds). I'm actually not that worried right now because past attempts at >5.1, including those using matrixing, didn't get too far. There will always be something to showcase new introductions but for studios to continue producing EX/ES/7.1 etc, cinema owners have to be convinced that more tickets will be sold if they add more channels, and for the home market, only about 30% of homes have the space.

I do love my D2, but I would be hesitant to buy one right now as it does not do the new codecs (no big deal when one can do PCM over HDMI) and it can't get the max 7.1 channels.

Filmmaker might be right for most actual 7.1 tracks but when I test different ways of getting the 7.1 from 5.1, I get different results (I prefer prologicIIx overall) so this has me questioning the "hard time telling them apart"

Like I said I love my D2 and the ARC-1 will be mine but that "limitation" is bugging me as it seems 7.1 will be part of more BR releases.
post #11958 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

No Blackout here - I have a dedicated 200 AMP
Circuit just for the theater and another 200 AMP
circuit for the house.

post #11959 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmabuse View Post

Hi,
There should be no reason it won't work. Anthem has stated that the USB to serial is an option if a direct serial port is NA.
I will say personally though, I had dreadful luck with adaptors, even had an instance where I turned my D2 into a lifeless brick that had to be sent back to the factory.
I elected after that to buy a used laptop ($400) with a serial port and have been issue free on all updates and ARC as well ever since.
/\\/\\

The Keyspan has worked just fine for me. The IOgear communicates as well, though I haven't tried firmware updates with it.

Personally, I just went out and bought a PC Card Serial adapter for my laptop. Seems much more reliable with a variety of audio gear. Somewhat more expensive than a USB-Serial adapter, but so much more reliable and a lot cheaper than the brick scenario.
post #11960 of 42670
Has someone updated an old D2 (greenish video board) to 1.31 firmware (from 1.11)?
post #11961 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Has anybody ALREADY USING ARC done the upgrade from V1.30 or V1.30a to V1.31 in the Anthem and the corresponding software on the Windows PC?

I've had a report that there may be a problem preserving the ARC's licensing (which is tied to the Anthem's serial number) during this upgrade. I suspect this will turn out to be a simple mistake in how this latest upgrade was done, but I'd like to confirm that at least SOMEBODY here has done that upgrade and their ARC Windows software and the loading of results to the Anthem is still working correctly.
--Bob

Bob,

Yes some people are having a licensing issue when upgrading to 1.31. In my case from 1.29k.

I spoke with Nick and they are feverishly working out the solution.


Jim
post #11962 of 42670
Thanks for the manual Jim. Really disapointing considering the manual for the d1/d2. No info at all on what the system does or how it works. I expect this level of "trust us" from a receiver manufacturer, but not Anthem.

Anyone have any more detail about what ARC really does?
post #11963 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzihd View Post
Thanks for the manual Jim. Really disapointing considering the manual for the d1/d2. No info at all on what the system does or how it works. I expect this level of "trust us" from a receiver manufacturer, but not Anthem.

Anyone have any more detail about what ARC really does?
Here's some more info...

Jim

 

D2_ARC_PDS.pdf 186.5185546875k . file
post #11964 of 42670
Way better - thanks Jim!
post #11965 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobracalde View Post

Has someone updated an old D2 (greenish video board) to 1.31 firmware (from 1.11)?

I just upgraded a D1 (upgraded to D2) with I believe a green board last night (but from 1.2x). No troubles at all, but I used a real PC with a real serial port (rather than a laptop or USB serial).
post #11966 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C5 View Post

I just upgraded a D1 (upgraded to D2) with I believe a green board last night (but from 1.2x). No troubles at all, but I used a real PC with a real serial port (rather than a laptop or USB serial).

Joe, I think (but I'm not sure) that ALL the D1 units upgraded to D2 had the newer video board installed.
--Bob
post #11967 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim E. View Post

Bob,

Yes some people are having a licensing issue when upgrading to 1.31. In my case from 1.29k.

I spoke with Nick and they are feverishly working out the solution.


Jim

Interesting. I sure hope they don't have to have these people send units back to the factory.

I wonder what software version will be included in the ARC-1 upgrades shipping out this week?
--Bob
post #11968 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Joe, I think (but I'm not sure) that ALL the D1 units upgraded to D2 had the newer video board installed.

Yes.. I think the same..

I'm waiting an answer from Nick.. but i have some doubts about the compatibility between the new firmware and the olds D2...
post #11969 of 42670
I hope this isn't a dumb question but I'm confused about Setup Editor and Live Video Settings Editor. Are these apps that need to be downloaded from somewhere? I emailed anthem because I wanted to go from v1.11 to v1.31, and the email response stated to be sure I backed up my video processor settings with Live Video Settings Editor before updating the processor. I don't really know what these are or how to use them.
post #11970 of 42670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post

I hope this isn't a dumb question but I'm confused about Setup Editor and Live Video Settings Editor. Are these apps that need to be downloaded from somewhere? I emailed anthem because I wanted to go from v1.11 to v1.31, and the email response stated to be sure I backed up my video processor settings with Live Video Settings Editor before updating the processor. I don't really know what these are or how to use them.

Both of them are Windows PC applications.

Up to now they've not been shipped with the D2 or AVM-50. You need to download them. Previously Anthem had them in the folder that made up a new firmware install kit on the public download web site (i.e., along with the firmware installer Windows PC application itself). Now you have to call or email Anthem tech support for password access to the tech support download web site. A small amount of confusing documentation also comes as a text file for each of them.

Currently there is not a version of Setup Editor available that is compatible with the V1.3x firmware. Presumably that will change soon. Setup Editor is a tool they use in the factory for saving and restoring the setup stuff for the units. I.e. they can use it to load a common initial setup into each unit before it is shipped. A user can use it to save and restore setups from PC files.

Live Video Settings Editor is a tool that lets you control the Video Source Adjust menu settings from a PC while the Anthem is live (displaying video). It can also be used to save and restore settings. It can also be used to create and install "custom" video output resolution timings or gamma correction curves. Once such a "custom" setting is created and installed in the D2 or AVM-50, it then becomes a choice available from the Anthem Setup menu.

Both applications operate via an RS-232 (serial) cable connection to the back of the D2 or AVM-50.

It is important to use the newest version of each of these to insure compatibility with the Anthem firmware.
--Bob
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide