or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 521

post #15601 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

Set up/Speaker Calibration/Noise Level. ARC uses the Noise Level Setting to set the level of each speaker and the subwoofer.

Just for clarification, should the volume be set to 0 prior to entering the menu....then adjusting the Noise level until you get 75 dB? Or does it matter because the Noise level sound doesn't take the volume setting into consideration?
post #15602 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviggi View Post

My 12K curves should be below:

jviggi,

Just out of curiosity....what kind of subwoofer do you run and what is the LFE crossover set to?


All,

Does anyone know if anyone here with ARC that has posted their results with a Martin Logan speaker system or a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer? Given Martin Logan's narrow sound dispersion field....I'm wondering how the ARC will react to the non-ideal microphone placements?
post #15603 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Just for clarification, should the volume be set to 0 prior to entering the menu....then adjusting the Noise level until you get 75 dB? Or does it matter because the Noise level sound doesn't take the volume setting into consideration?

The only volume that matters is the volume setting for the Noise Level. You should make sure the setting for your front left speaker and your subwoofer are set to 0 first. Then adjust the Noise Level until it reads 75db. You will hear the sound coming from your front left speaker. Therefore, when you scroll down to your front left speaker, you should not have to adjust the volume. You can continue to adjust the other speakers if you want; but, you don't have to because ARC will not use them anyway. However, you should adjust the volume for your sub to also read roughly around 75db. So, the bottom line is that you want your front left speaker and your sub reading 75db. Once you set your Noise Level so that the front left speaker reads 75db, don't change it because that's what ARC will use.

Good luck.
post #15604 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

The only volume that matters is the volume setting for the Noise Level. You should make sure the setting for your front left speaker and your subwoofer are set to 0 first. Then adjust the Noise Level until it reads 75db. You will hear the sound coming from your front left speaker. Therefore, when you scroll down to your front left speaker, you should not have to adjust the volume. You can continue to adjust the other speakers if you want; but, you don't have to because ARC will not use them anyway. However, you should adjust the volume for your sub to also read roughly around 75db. So, the bottom line is that you want your front left speaker and your sub reading 75db. Once you set your Noise Level so that the front left speaker reads 75db, don't change it because that's what ARC will use.

Good luck.

Thanks for the clarification. As a follow up question, does the 75db level equal the reference listening level when your volume is set to 0?

Also, I remember reading a while back that when calibrating your sub, the you should calibrate it at about 8-10 db higher than the main speakers. It had something to do with the RS meter being able to pick up the low frequencies. Is that not applicable anymore?

ETA: In regards to the subwoofer level adjustment....my understanding is that the setting on the AVM-50 should be left at 0 and the calibrated volume should be set using the subwoofer volume knob. Correct?
post #15605 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Thanks for the clarification. As a follow up question, does the 75db level equal the reference listening level when your volume is set to 0?

Also, I remember reading a while back that when calibrating your sub, the you should calibrate it at about 8-10 db higher than the main speakers. It had something to do with the RS meter being able to pick up the low frequencies. Is that not applicable anymore?

ETA: In regards to the subwoofer level adjustment....my understanding is that the setting on the AVM-50 should be left at 0 and the calibrated volume should be set using the subwoofer volume knob. Correct?

For the D2, 0 volume equals 85db, and -10 volume equals 75db. That's probably true for the AVM-50 as well; but, I'm not sure.

You should not calibrate your sub 8-10 db higher. You want to get it as close to 75 db as possible so that ARC can properly set it for you when you run it. You don't want your sub dominating your system. You really want your sub to disappear and just be an extension of your mains.

Yes, you should leave the setting on the AVM-50 to 0 and adjust the volume on your sub until it reads close to 75 db. You don't have to be exact. You just need to get it close, and ARC will take it from there.
post #15606 of 42679
Thanks for that.. Ok I have another stupid question. I am trying to get my speakers at reference level. I have a radioshack sound level meter what level should I measure it at?
post #15607 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post

Thanks for that.. Ok I have another stupid question. I am trying to get my speakers at reference level. I have a radioshack sound level meter what level should I measure it at?

You want your meter to read 75db. You can set the dial to 70. If you have the digital meter, adjust the volume for each speaker until it meter displays 75db. If you have the meter, adjust the volume for each speaker until the meter gets to +5.
post #15608 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja12 View Post

You want your meter to read 75db. You can set the dial to 70. If you have the digital meter, adjust the volume for each speaker until it meter displays 75db. If you have the meter, adjust the volume for each speaker until the meter gets to +5.

One more thing. Make sure you set response to "Slow" and weight to "C".
post #15609 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Just for clarification, should the volume be set to 0 prior to entering the menu....then adjusting the Noise level until you get 75 dB? Or does it matter because the Noise level sound doesn't take the volume setting into consideration?

The Main Volume setting (i.e., the volume knob on the Front Panel or the volume buttons on the remote) doesn't make any difference. Just so you know, whatever gets set in Setup / Speaker Calibration corresponds to what happens during normal playback when the Main Volume is set to -10dB, but you don't have to set the Main Volume to that before setting up Setup / Speaker Calibration.

However, there IS an apparent bug, which makes the test tone for the Noise Level line depend on the setting in the Left Front line. So set the Left Front line to 0dB before adjusting the Noise Level line.

I recommend you adjust the Noise Level line for (roughly) 75dB SPL prior to running ARC Measurements. You should also adjust the volume knob inside your subwoofer (or any other speaker with its own internal volume control) to yield (roughly) 75dB SPL when fed the same Noise Level you just set above. To do that, set the line for that subwoofer (or speaker) to 0dB in Setup / Speaker Calibration so that it is just being fed the Noise Level you picked above, without modification.

When you run ARC Measurements, the only value it will actually use out of that menu is Noise Level, so you don't have to reset or adjust any of the other speaker lines after making the adjustments described in the last paragraph. ARC Measurement also ignores whatever the Main Volume setting happens to be. An ARC Upload loads values for all the speaker lines according to what ARC has determined.

The above SPL settings need to be ballpark close only. ARC will set the precise values for you -- using the Noise Level value to configure the volume of its test sweep tones. Don't worry about the low frequency response of your SPL meter when setting subwoofer volume. For the preliminary setup we are talking about here, "slow response" and "C" weighting, with the SPL meter pointed straight up at the ARC mic position #1 will be just fine.

ARC uses a broader range of frequencies to determine the "best" speaker volume trims, so the values it uploads to this menu may differ a bit from what you would get if you did it yourself with the SPL meter. And the SPL level these ARC loaded values produce may also differ a bit from the 75dB SPL you just set above. But it should be close. And whatever SPL value you end up with after the ARC upload should be the same for all your speakers. If not, something is wrong.
--Bob
post #15610 of 42679
Sweet....I am sooooo looking forward to getting this ARC up and running.
post #15611 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviggi View Post

Bob,
Congratulations on your over 3,000 posts in this thread. You have helped many of us solve problems and improve our home theaters.
After trying many ARC measurements with slightly different speaker positions, I picked the best performance curves. I calculated using 12K and thought the curves looked good so I then uploaded the ARC data. My first response to listening was oh my god. I always thought my system sounded great, especially after ARC but this was a definite improvement. I threw all of my reference stuff (Master and Commander, Blackhawk Down, Celine Dion a new day, Dave Matthews, Pink Floyd, etc.) at it and it all sounded great. A broad sound stage, improved dialog, tight bass,and background sounds that I don't remember ever hearing. I think your 12K is a winner!
Unless you see something with the curves, I think I will just leave it this way. I can't believe my system could get any better, but I have said that before.
My 12K curves should be below:

These curves look very good indeed. Your biggest residual deviation from the Target is only about 4dB at 100Hz in the Left Surround speaker, but I don't think that's going to give you any problem at all.

The Measured curve for your subwoofer is kind of spiky and pretty low at 20Hz. My guess would be your subwoofer is rated down to 30Hz. ARC has helped here -- giving you fine response down to 25Hz. You might find some Boundary Gain boost helps here -- i.e., move the sub closer to a wall or corner so that it couples more strongly with the room at the lowest frequencies. Then re-Measure of course. But it's tough to know in advance if that might introduce some problems elsewhere in your sub's response. Your current results are so good that I suggest you mark your current sub position on the floor with masking tape so that you can put it back there more easily if the position closer to the wall doesn't work out for you.

Your high frequencies look great, and what you have right now should sound very good indeed!

By the way, "Oh my GOD!" responses like this get these guys all excited:



--Bob
post #15612 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Does anyone know if anyone here with ARC that has posted their results with a Martin Logan speaker system or a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer? Given Martin Logan's narrow sound dispersion field....I'm wondering how the ARC will react to the non-ideal microphone placements?

Here's mine that's in use at the moment (1st pic). I'm taking new readings after some adjustments to my HT.

I found that if you wish for a flatter response at the top end to show in the graph, just toe in a bit more than the recommended one-third. (2nd pic) Otherwise, when the mic is at the outer positions, it will be at the edge of the inner dispersion boundary of the opposite speaker, most certainly the cause of a drop in HF as seen in the 1st pic.

But to my humble ears, there's little or no difference in sound quality with both toe-ins except for a slightly smaller sound stage width.

My system: Summit, Stage, Passage, Descent i.

-Ben
LL
LL
post #15613 of 42679
Your high frequencies look great, and what you have right now should sound very good indeed!

By the way, "Oh my GOD!" responses like this get these guys all excited:



--Bob

Bob,
I have a Mirage BP 400. I looked at the curves and then I looked at my set up. I think I have the sub connected improperly. Attached is the little manual for the BP 400. I have a Y cable and have it connected like diagram 1. I think I should have it connected like diagram 2. I removed one leg of the Y cable and the sound changes but I am not sure if it was just a volume change.
The sub should be performing better according to a review by Widescreen Review.
It is a 400 watt, dual 12 speakers. They are driven by Pulse Width Modulation MOSFET amp with peak power at 1600W.Widescreen measured the following:
35 Hz 112dB
25 Hz 105dB
16 Hz 83dB
I think I have to measure ARC again using the correct cable connection
post #15614 of 42679
I upgraded to v1.33 on my D2 and my Oppo 970 no longer works for sound. I tried movie and cd and neither worked for sound. Picture comes through fine though. I am hooked up hdmi.

Anyone else have this issue?

John
post #15615 of 42679
I am addressing this post specifically to Bob Pariseau, but would appreciate responses from other members that may have had experiences with identical setups:
____________________________________________________________ _____
Bob,
I am about to order the ARC kit for my AVM-50 and have a question about setting up ARC in conjunction with the EQ in my Velodyne DD-18. I know you set it up with your Velodyne DD-15 and have read some of your posts related to the matter. I had my audio and video "calibrated" about a year ago but have never been satisfied with the results, hence the decision to invest in ARC. I remember you mentioning that you "disabled" your Velodyne EQ and let ARC handle everything. My specific question has to do with how I can disable the Velodyne EQ before running ARC. Any help will be much appreciated.

--Venpra
post #15616 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by venpra View Post

I am addressing this post specifically to Bob Pariseau, but would appreciate responses from other members that may have had experiences with identical setups:
____________________________________________________________ _____
Bob,
I am about to order the ARC kit for my AVM-50 and have a question about setting up ARC in conjunction with the EQ in my Velodyne DD-18. I know you set it up with your Velodyne DD-15 and have read some of your posts related to the matter. I had my audio and video "calibrated" about a year ago but have never been satisfied with the results, hence the decision to invest in ARC. I remember you mentioning that you "disabled" your Velodyne EQ and let ARC handle everything. My specific question has to do with how I can disable the Velodyne EQ before running ARC. Any help will be much appreciated.

--Venpra

There are 3 things you need to do:

1) In the Velodyne settings menu, select Preset 6 as the "Default" preset in the lower left corner of the settings. Preset 6 disables the internal Velodyne EQ processing.

2) In the same settings menu, disable the internal cross over processing in the Velodyne. Go to the crossover frequency setting in the upper left of the settings page, Select that, and then hit Reset on the remote. All of the crossover related entries should now change to NA indicating the internal crossover is turned off. [You may need to UNLOCK the "Setup" column of entries to do this.]

3) Adjust the volume of the Velodyne. With Setup / Speaker Calibration / Noise Level set to measure roughly 75dB SPL in the Anthem, and with the subwoofer volume trim line in that menu set to 0dB, adjust the volume in the Velodyne settings menu page so that it too produces roughly 75dB SPL.

When you have made those three adjustments on the Velodyne's settings menu page, Exit that page and be sure to Save your settings. This should return you to the main Velodyne screen which will now show that it is on Preset 6 with the volume you just set. Be sure to make the default Preset choice and the volume adjustment in the menu page like this (rather than on the main Velodyne front page) so that this Preset and volume is used automatically each time the Velodyne powers up.

[Double check that the Velodyne's volume setting still produces 75dB SPL just to be sure. If not, go back into the Velodyne's settings menu and make the volume change for Preset 6 in there. Exit and Save results as before.]

Preset 6, by factory default, also sets the servo setting in the Velodyne all the way up to the max value of 8 (Musical). If you have changed this in the past, my recommendation would be to set it back to 8. Again this is done on the settings menu page.
--Bob
post #15617 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fitz View Post

I upgraded to v1.33 on my D2 and my Oppo 970 no longer works for sound. I tried movie and cd and neither worked for sound. Picture comes through fine though. I am hooked up hdmi.

Anyone else have this issue?

John

We haven't had any other reports like that here. Have you checked in Setup / Source Setup to make sure your settings got restored correctly?

Similarly, check in the Oppo itself to make sure HDMI audio output is still enabled.

I presume you've checked to make sure your HDMI plugs are in the correct sockets and fully inserted, right? Does HDMI audio work from other sources?
--Bob
post #15618 of 42679
Trying to post my results as I have not done so previously. I am surprised at the increased levels of my raw curves in my music setting compared to the cinema configuration. Only change was to take out the center channel speaker.

I also ran a 12KHz calculation to see how it looked. I was not real bad above 5K but I can see a few areas where I had some uncorrected variance above 5K, but nothing major.

My only other comment is that I definitely saw a change when I moved my velodyne SC 12s out of the back corners (did not post these graphs) and placed the drivers even with the front L/R speakers (now getting response out beyond 95hZ to about 175Hz) but I don't think it is really adding to the overall sound as the Sig 8s are already quite capable in this range. A closer inspection shows that I probably need a bigger sub to get more output in the <30Hz range. I am also a little concerned about the response of my center channel and still quite choppy in the ARC corrected curve.

All this being said, I really like the improvements in sound. Base is definitely more precise, I still get good low end response that I can feel. I have listened to quite a bit of music only (both Suround and stereo) in the music configuration, and I actually think the sound is much better in the front row than it used to be. The front center seat is quite close to the front speakers and where I was definitely aware of a solid center image before ARC, I now have a very realistic entire front stage with precise instrumental locations that just make everything more "alive".

Cheers!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #15619 of 42679
And here are my 12k calculation files. Just a test at this point as I have not uploaded them and not sure if I will.
LL
LL
post #15620 of 42679
bob and abc: thx for the responses. yes, i have five + sub speakers. all full range. i would post surrounds/sub(which, show up on the screen i posted, at least when i open MY post to the forum) - - at any rate, i've once again run afoul of the windows gremlins, and cannot post additionally, yet.
however:what i do not at all understand is how the files are being interpreted. when i compare other's files, they all seem to follow the target curve, starting in the lower left corner.
i view my f/r target as starting around 65db. yet, arc has actually measured starting at 78 db[vs;the preferred 65db], jumping to 85db, all within the first 100hz. given that my speakers are rated to 30hz, why is the target higher than other posters targets, and why am i actually measured as starting at 78db?
and, finally, why do you two gents believe that my measurements look "OK"?
i agree that arc has adjusted the measurements to a more "target" friendly reading, but, the measurements are, to me, bogus to start with.
did i mention i hate windows?
thx again for you considerable help to us all!
from soggy fl, walt
post #15621 of 42679
bob and abc(et.al?)

reposting of file, should include lf/rf/surrounds
walt
LL
post #15622 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

J. Fricano,
I agree with the suggestion made here by ABC999. I think coupling in that high level sub input is giving you more bass than you need. There are also potential phase problems between the two separate inputs you are mixing in your sub.

Try using just the subwoofer output of the D2.
--Bob

Thank you very much Bob, and ABC999. I will do that and re-measure and see what happens. John.
post #15623 of 42679
LEVESQUE,
Here's a cut at a list of links to be added to the first post of this thread to collect some or our ARC-related knowledge into the "Good Parts Version" found there.

* Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Audio bliss in a few, easy steps!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14142274
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14160614
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14165296
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14181449
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14192486
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14207104
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14207158
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14207663
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14214469
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14216213
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14220432
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14232090
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14236866
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14256232
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14262027
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14267952
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14268617
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14286844
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14287488
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14296873
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14306824
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14320989
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14322061
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14327449
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14335277
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14347781
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14351330
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14353551
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14363180
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14365808
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14366806
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14370256
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14372958
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14377508
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14379882
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14380719
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14383015
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14384710
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14391953
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14393593
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14393664
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14394305
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14395567
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14396801
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14407572
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14413014
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14415277
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14420677
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14422227
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14424204
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14424251
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14424733
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14429013
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14430627
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14436325
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14439704
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14439977
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14440383
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14448571
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14451192
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14458172
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14459485
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14461019
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14462796
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14469019
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post14477302
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=#post14484075

--Bob
post #15624 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-NUT-99 View Post

And here are my 12k calculation files. Just a test at this point as I have not uploaded them and not sure if I will.

I think your 12KHz results are well worth giving a listen. Your 5KHz stuff had the LF speaker kind of hot around 10KHz for example.

I don't know what is going on with the Measured curves in your Music charts. I've not seen anything quite like that. It looks like the ARC application got confused as to the scale of those when drawing the chart. The Calculated curves look fine even in Music -- which leads me to believe the data itself is OK and this is just a charting problem.

I suggest you make a copy of your file with the Measurements, open it in Advanced mode and do an Auto Detect in Targets. Then look at the Measured curves in Movie and Music again and see if they are still so different. If they are, I think it would be a good idea for you to email that ARC data file to Anthem tech support, along with a description of how you took the Measurements -- i.e., there's no good reason the Music Measured curves should be so much louder on the charts.

Your subwoofer response looks pretty good down to 25hz. So you are losing a little of the subsonic energy below that but it's not really bad with the sub you have now.

The Calculated curve for your center speaker looks rougher than the others, but keep in mind the scale. Your residuals are around 1dB for most of it with a max residual of only 2dB. This is even on the 12KHz Calculation. So you are doing fine.
--Bob
post #15625 of 42679
A couple of questions regarding my current ARC curves - attached.

The movie run is on page 1 and the music on page 2 - 5000 Hz cutoff.

Is the dip at 15000 Hz due to the way ARC measures high frequencies, or possibly due to the height I am using for the microphone or is it truly a room mode? I know all my speakers are not going to roll off at the same frequency... The resulting sound does not seem to be missing the high frequencies as shown, or maybe my ears just can't tell...the sound is great!

For my music run ARC set the crossover at "full range" - why does it not use a flatter curve down to 20 Hz for the target? The curve looks the same as for the 40Hz curve for my movie setup that ARC picked for the front speakers.

I think there is a glitch in the ARC calculations for music. I went back in a did a different calculation with the cinema and set the cutoff down to 25Hz from the ARC selected 40HZ and it set the dB level higher at 20 Hz for the target than it does with full range with the music. In addition, the system will not allow me to change the target numbers for the music setting in advanced mode, only the cinema - is this correct?

Opinions please.

 

5000 HZ CUTOFF.pdf 257.5908203125k . file
post #15626 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

bob and abc(et.al?)

reposting of file, should include lf/rf/surrounds
walt

The image you've posted here still only shows LF/RF and LS/RS. I.e., you've just captured the top set of stuff in the ARC display.

You need to scroll that ARC window so that the bottom set of stuff is visible (i.e., including your center and your subwoofer) and then screen capture that as a separate image file. When you "screen capture" an active window image in Windows it only grabs the part currently visible in that window. Since all of the ARC charts can't be shown all at once in that window, you have to scroll it up to the top and capture that part and then scroll down to the bottom and separately capture that part -- two image files.

------------------------------

I suspect your Target curves for the front speakers will make more sense when we finally get to see your subwoofer curve. First of all, the high response near 20 and 30Hz in your Measured curves for the LF/RF speakers looks like room response -- increased bass due to reflections. There's nothing wrong with that except that it tends to vary by frequency and location in the room. Which is just what ARC is trying to prevent.

So ARC may have decided to reduce the output of your main speakers to better blend with the output from your subwoofer. Thus the multiple drivers working at those frequencies will smooth out the variations -- the room modes -- ARC is trying to eliminate.

Now, look to the right of the "hump" in the Target or Calculated curves to where it flattens out. See that it is about 73dB over there? That's the basic volume level ARC has decided to Target for your setup. OK, now look in the LF/RF Calculated lines for where it crosses 73dB on the way down from the other side of the "hump" as the frequency goes down towards 20Hz. You will find it crosses 73dB at around 35Hz on your charts.

In fact you are only down a couple dB more from that at 30Hz. Thus it looks to me like ARC actually *AGREES* with you that your LF/RF speakers are good down to 30Hz!

And thus the hotter reading you are getting in their Measured curves below that probably does need to be trimmed as ARC has done it for you. In point of fact, ARC didn't trim it as much as it intended to at 20Hz. So you are at 70dB at 20Hz which is only 3dB below the 73dB basic Target level! Not bad at all.

Make more sense now?
--Bob
post #15627 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

A couple of questions regarding my current ARC curves - attached.

The movie run is on page 1 and the music on page 2 - 5000 Hz cutoff.

Is the dip at 15000 Hz due to the way ARC measures high frequencies, or possibly due to the height I am using for the microphone or is it truly a room mode? I know all my speakers are not going to roll off at the same frequency... The resulting sound does not seem to be missing the high frequencies as shown, or maybe my ears just can't tell...the sound is great!

For my music run ARC set the crossover at "full range" - why does it not use a flatter curve down to 20 Hz for the target? The curve looks the same as for the 40Hz curve for my movie setup that ARC picked for the front speakers.

I think there is a glitch in the ARC calculations for music. I went back in a did a different calculation with the cinema and set the cutoff down to 25Hz from the ARC selected 40HZ and it set the dB level higher at 20 Hz for the target than it does with full range with the music. In addition, the system will not allow me to change the target numbers for the music setting in advanced mode, only the cinema - is this correct?

Opinions please.

I'm not sure what ARC is doing with crossovers in your Music setup since you don't have a subwoofer in there for the audio to crossover to (which may be why it isn't letting you set them). I.e., it may be that ARC is actually ignoring the crossover value despite the chart. But this is probably a question you will need to put to Anthem tech support.

It could be a bug, so it is worth talking to them about. Even so, it looks to me like ARC has decided your front speakers are good down to 30Hz.

Since the dip at 15Khz is showing on all of your main speakers, I suspect that there is something about the room that is absorbing that frequency -- not a cancellation-style room mode so much as some surfaces that are absorbing it. I don't know enough about that to give you any advice on that.

Other than those two puzzles your curves look fine. You might want to try a calculation up around 12KHz Max EQ Frequency to see how much that helps reduce the dip at 15KHz. Or even try all the way to 15KHz.
--Bob
post #15628 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Bob,

I've gone ahead and ordered the Keyspan adapter. Hopefully that will enable me to fully install the firmware. I'll post back after delivery.

Thanks again.

I reinstalled XP on my older laptap and was able to get through the entire 1.33 upgrade in the first try with the Gigaware RS adapter. I still have the Keyspan adapter en route and will let you know if that works with my Vista laptop.
post #15629 of 42679
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

I reinstalled XP on my older laptap and was able to get through the entire 1.33 upgrade in the first try with the Gigaware RS adapter. I still have the Keyspan adapter en route and will let you know if that works with my Vista laptop.

Cool! It could just be that the re-install of XP reset the drivers.

Anyway, at least now you are set for when your ARC upgrade arrives.
--Bob
post #15630 of 42679
Spent a while with Oppo customer support yesterday. We went through a factory default reset and everything adjustment they could think of, but my 980 will only pass the stereo SACD signal from a 5.0 or 3.0 SACD to my D2, although it passes the multichannel signal from a 5.1 SACD appropriately. Oppo thought they fixed this issue with the last firmware upgrade, but apparently my experience indicates that it's still an issue with the D2. They had an Onkyo prepro at the factory, and could not duplicate the issue with it. They said they would contact Anthem about possible further investigation of this strange incompatibility between the 980 and the D2. Does anyone out there have an Oppo 980 with the latest firmware who can specifically check this issue (comparing SACDs with 5.1 channels vs. SACDs with 5 or 3 channels)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide