Originally Posted by mikefl52
This is quite a major upgrade (rebuild) for my D1 (more than the previous D1-HD upgrade would have been) and so I wish they would actually do some sort of buy back program so I wouldn't have to be without my D1 while it is being upgraded. I would certainly pay more than the probable upgrade price for that convenience.
Although I don't expect Anthem to offer a direct buy back, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear some Anthem dealers are offering attractive terms for trade-in if you purchase a new D2 v.2.
I'm trying to recall now how dealers handled that when the original D2 launched. My vague recollection is that dealers were all over the map, with some doing aggressive trade-in stuff and others not wanting to take that on at all.
The actual work needed to convert a D1 to a D2 v.2 is really not much different from that needed to convert a D1 to the original D2. Both require disassembly so that the back panel can be replaced and the new video board mounted (which includes the HDMI stuff). The additional work is the replacement of the DSP board, plus testing.
So I suspect the time "in shop" doing the upgrade would be pretty similar. For most people who have done D1 to D2 upgrades or AVM-30 to AVM-50 upgrades, the time in transit each way was longer than the time in shop actually doing the work. Keep in mind that if you don't live in Canada, this will require a stop in Customs each way -- which can add up to a week each way to the actual shipping time. I suspect all that will be true with the v.2 upgrades as well.
In the case of the D2, there was a substantial delay before upgrades were offered to D1 customers at all. A somewhat shorter delay occurred between first shipments of ARC bundled with D2 and availability of ARC upgrades for existing customers.
On the other hand, AVM-50/ARC bundles and ARC upgrades for AVM-50 customers happened at the same time just recently.
This time, Nick tells me they are actually trying to fire up the v.2 upgrades at the same time the new units ship. We'll just have to see if they can pull that off. He also says they want AVM-50 v.2 to happen at the same time that D2 v.2 happens.
So far, the only public statement from Anthem has been with respect to NEW (not upgrade) D2 v.2 units. I think we can expect that if any snags develop, new unit shipments will get priority over turning on any upgrade programs. And by the way, that might be ANOTHER good reason to consider a trade-in through your dealer.