or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 7

post #181 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

So... will the HDMI Audio still be ouput from the HDCP copy protected source, and if so will the D2 let you listen to the audio from that HDMI input and view the video from another (component) input at the same time?

(and yes, us component input only HDTV owners are desperate to stay current!)

HA! Understood. I believe the answer is yes, it will allow you to use HDMI input for the audio from a given source and match it with a particular video input for that source, including Component.

If I get some time this weekend, I will switch things around a bit and test this theory.
post #182 of 42717
Two hurdles I can see for HDMI audio with component video.

1. Most sources shutdown the component outputs once the HDMI interface is connected and verified.
2. Can the D2 provide the HDCP handshake without a HDCP display attached? Video scalers are called repeaters in HDCP talk, I'm not sure if this also applies to receivers and Pre/Pros. The D2 may be able to be the "display" for audio.

Notice the catch 22 here? If #2 is true #1 will kick in It will be interesting to see what you find out ManWithAPlan, thanks for all the info.
post #183 of 42717
This is a copy of the email I sent to Anthem regarding transcoding from HDMI to component. This may answer some questions.


Subject: Question for nick regarding video transcoding on new D2 Nick

I am about to purchase a D2. Can I run an HDMI signal from my DVD player into the D2, and have it output a component signal to connect to my TV. I have an older Mitsubishi TV with only Component and Firewire High Definition inputs, but want to use the better and simpler HDMI connection to connect my DVD to the D2
Thanks Troy

Hi Troy, Not allowed if there's copy protection. If an analog input has Macrovision, it can be converted to digital outputwith HDCP, but not the other way around. If the DVD isn't copy protected, then HDMI input can turn into analogoutput, but if it came from Hollywood, assume it's copy-protected. Nick
post #184 of 42717
Troy - Thats what I expected and I've yet to come across an HDMI device without HDCP enabled. Thanks for the added info.
post #185 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarichar View Post

Hi Troy, Not allowed if there's copy protection. If an analog input has Macrovision, it can be converted to digital outputwith HDCP, but not the other way around. If the DVD isn't copy protected, then HDMI input can turn into analogoutput, but if it came from Hollywood, assume it's copy-protected. Nick

OK so HDMI to Component possible but only if HDMI is not copy protected.
Do you know if we can scale Component Input to Component Output?
(Exemple: 480p Component to 720p Component)

FRED
post #186 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarichar View Post

I got my D2 yesterday with no wait. I called my out of state dealer on Thursday to ask when he might get a D2 in. He said that he had several on order and one had just arrived. He put it in the mail that day and I got it yesterday.
...
It took me about 45 minutes to set it up. I have three main video sources, my high definition cable box, an Arcam FMJ DV27 DVD player, and my XBOX 360. The scaler is awesome.
Troy

Hi Troy,

Regarding the XBox360, I'm wondering if you notice any delay between the input (your controler) and the display... I mean, the digital video processing takes more or less time and sometimes, if delay is too long, game turns unplayable since you react to something that already happend "long" time ago...
I detect this problem with my Vigatec VG1850 Scaler and a Shooter... delay is about 8 frames at 60hz (0.13s)

FRED
post #187 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarichar View Post

The scaler is awesome. My DVD's look much better than I remember, even than what I remember with my top of the line Lumagen scaler. High Definition is improved as well.
Troy

Good to hear that since the Lumigen is supposed to be a very good scaler...
FRED
post #188 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoude View Post

OK so HDMI to Component possible but only if HDMI is not copy protected.
Do you know if we can scale Component Input to Component Output?
(Exemple: 480p Component to 720p Component)

FRED

Yes indeed you can.
post #189 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhoude View Post

Hi Troy,

Regarding the XBox360, I'm wondering if you notice any delay between the input (your controler) and the display... I mean, the digital video processing takes more or less time and sometimes, if delay is too long, game turns unplayable since you react to something that already happend "long" time ago...
I detect this problem with my Vigatec VG1850 Scaler and a Shooter... delay is about 8 frames at 60hz (0.13s)

FRED

Fred, I also have an XBOX 360 and I can tell you there is no noticable lag at all. I play mostly racing games, and the slightest delay would plant me in the wall far too much for my liking :-) So, I can tell you, no lag at all in my case at least.
post #190 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Fred, I also have an XBOX 360 and I can tell you there is no noticable lag at all. I play mostly racing games, and the slightest delay would plant me in the wall far too much for my liking :-) So, I can tell you, no lag at all in my case at least.

Hi ManWithAPlan,
That's sounds/looks good indeed
Thanks for your two answer !!
FRED
post #191 of 42717
I just hooked my new D2 up last night and went thru my different video sources to check out the pictures.

With the XBOX360, I watched the Oblivion intro and it seemed fine but did not do any playing. I don't think a delay would be a problem with a game like Oblivion though it could show up with a first person shooter like Perfect Dark or Call to Duty2, especially if you are playing online. I'll check it out tonight.

Troy
post #192 of 42717
I placed my order through a local dealer (Cherry Creek Audio in Denver) on April 3. They told me at that time it would be here within 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Today I found out it hasn't even shipped yet and that it is still 2 weeks away from shipping from Anthem - 4 weeks total.

Aside from being ticked off that I didn't get honest info from the dealer, I'd be interested in hearing what lead times others are encountering.
post #193 of 42717
I called my dealer and got my D2 the same day, and for half list price no less. Truthfully, it shipped out from his shop the day I called to see if he had one, and it took me 3 days to get it as it was in the mail, but if I lived close to him I could have picked it up that day.

I guess I just got lucky, and I also have a great dealer who I've bought many things from over the years.

Troy
post #194 of 42717
Same day on a D2? Who is your dealer? I was going to upgrade my D1, but why wait......
post #195 of 42717
I use Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. He let me trade in my AVM20 and gave me what I payed for it. He always does this and has been very loyal thru the years.
Tell him Troy Richards sent you. www.upscaleaudio.com

Troy
post #196 of 42717
I ordered the D2 last Monday and it arrived yesterday. I was hoping for a Friday delivery, but then none of the yard work would have got done.

I will probably not be able to find the time to properly recalibrate the video until this weekend as I have been tweeking the audio readying for some A-B comparisions. No leaf raking this weekend.
post #197 of 42717
I ordered my D2 today, though the dealer was not sure exactly how long it would take for delivery, but said that around two to three weeks is normal. This is going to be a long two weeks (or more). I'll have to live vicariously through this forum until then!
post #198 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarichar View Post

I called my dealer and got my D2 the same day, and for half list price no less. Truthfully, it shipped out from his shop the day I called to see if he had one, and it took me 3 days to get it as it was in the mail, but if I lived close to him I could have picked it up that day.

I guess I just got lucky, and I also have a great dealer who I've bought many things from over the years.

Troy

Troy.. you didn't mention (in this reply) that you traded in some gear for that price... you're going to get a lot of people mad at their dealers for not matching your deal
post #199 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbden View Post

I placed my order through a local dealer (Cherry Creek Audio in Denver) on April 3. They told me at that time it would be here within 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. Today I found out it hasn't even shipped yet and that it is still 2 weeks away from shipping from Anthem - 4 weeks total.

Aside from being ticked off that I didn't get honest info from the dealer, I'd be interested in hearing what lead times others are encountering.

I finalized my order today, and I was told to expect it by next Friday at the latest, probably Wed or Thurs with 3 day air... Hate to speculate, but it sounds like the dealer didn't even place the order, and a little birdy told me two weeks ago that all backorders were filled back then, so any current orders should have shipped already...
post #200 of 42717
"Troy.. you didn't mention (in this reply) that you traded in some gear for that price... you're going to get a lot of people mad at their dealers for not matching your deal "


Sorry about that. I had traded in a PS Audio powerplant and AVM 20 (both of which I had previously purchased from that dealer) towards the D2. In addition, I have known my dealer for many years having purchased many high end stereo products from him. In fact, he trusted me enough to mail me the D2 the day I purchased it, despite the fact that I wouldn't be able to ship him back the AVM20 and PS Audio unit for about 4 days. He told me "No problem, take your time to make sure the units are packed well, and send them back when you get the chance."

What I'm trying to say is that you must support of your local dealer if you wish to foster a relationship that will allow you to be able to make transactions that are mutually beneficial for both of you.
post #201 of 42717
Has anybody run in to an issue connecting the Pioneer DV79-AI vis HDMI to the D2. No HDMI connection shows up in the player menu when connected through the D2 vis HDMI. The player works fine via HDMI when connected directly to my monitor. I have tried different HDMI cables and inputs, with no luck. And my DirecTV HD10-250 runs fine through HDMI in and out of the D2.

The Pio is only 7 or 8 days old and Nick suggests that it may be a player issue and that I should try swapping the player out for another unit.
post #202 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Has anybody run in to an issue connecting the Pioneer DV79-AI vis HDMI to the D2. No HDMI connection shows up in the player menu when connected through the D2 vis HDMI. The player works fine via HDMI when connected directly to my monitor. I have tried different HDMI cables and inputs, with no luck. And my DirecTV HD10-250 runs fine through HDMI in and out of the D2.

The Pio is only 7 or 8 days old and Nick suggests that it may be a player issue and that I should try swapping the player out for another unit.

Stan,

I have the same equipment. Are you able to see the HDMI Settings under "Initial Settings" in the 79avi? If so, are they set for 480i, 10-bit Component, and Auto for Audio? When you load a DVD and press play, does the red HDMI logo emblazened on the front of the 79avi light up and glow red? I assume you have the D2's Source Settings for DVD set up correctly? With HDMI as the Scaler Input, and Repeater set to Yes?

Let's start with that, and go from there. I am connected the exact way you are, and all is well. It could be your player is bad, but let's rule out some things first.
post #203 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Stan,

I have the same equipment. Are you able to see the HDMI Settings under "Initial Settings" in the 79avi? If so, are they set for 480i, 10-bit Component, and Auto for Audio? When you load a DVD and press play, does the red HDMI logo emblazened on the front of the 79avi light up and glow red? I assume you have the D2's Source Settings for DVD set up correctly? With HDMI as the Scaler Input, and Repeater set to Yes?

Let's start with that, and go from there. I am connected the exact way you are, and all is well. It could be your player is bad, but let's rule out some things first.

The D2 DVD source settings are set correctly with HDMI as the scaler input, etc. When HDMI out from the 79avi is connected into the D2 the HDMI settings in the 79avi under Initial Settings are greyed out and not available for modification. I cannot get into the HDMI screen to change the resolution, aspect ratio, coulour, video memory and audio. The red HDMI logo on the front of the player does not light up at all.

One Additional Question: In addition to analog 5.1, Are you also running a digital coax or optical cable from the 79avi into the D2? I am running a digital coaxial cable as well. I was just thinking that since HDMI 1.1 is video and audio capable into the D2 that there might be an audio conflict issue interfering with the ability of the HDMI connection to link the video and audio between the two.

Again, when I bypass the D2 and connect HDMI out from the 79avi direct to my monitor I am able to see the HDMI settings on the 79avi and the red HDMI light is on.

Thanks for your help.
post #204 of 42717
Has anyone with a Sony 9100ES DVD player been able to get video to work over HDMI? Nick at Anthem said a few other people had had similar trouble.
post #205 of 42717
Hey Guys,

Got my D2 last Thurs. It is indeed impressive. I also found that it sounds a lot smoother than my D1.

I've got it hooked up to a Marantz DV-8400 DVD at 480i and going to an Epson Cinema 500 Dreamio Projector.

As the projector is a 720p but WXGA at 1366x768 .. should I set the Anthem VXP to that instead of 1280x720 60fps?

Loving the piece!!
post #206 of 42717
THX, I am courious why it would sound smoother than the D1. Isn't it the same audio circuitry as the D1? Thanks
NETHOMAS
post #207 of 42717
I guess it comes down to the software... 1.00 version on D2 vs. 1.12 on D1

Having both - I A/B'ed them on the same system ... your mileage may vary .. but that's what I can hear
post #208 of 42717
So since this is a tweak thread - my ISF calibrator is going to show up in a few hours. Any ideas of some D2-specific tweaks I should ask him about? Any source material I could run past him?

My video path (all HDMI) is Pioneer 79AVi->D2->Mits HC3000U-> VuTec 92" HCBW screen

Stan - you are welcome to stop by my palce and a/b your 79AVi with mine.
post #209 of 42717
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

The D2 DVD source settings are set correctly with HDMI as the scaler input, etc. When HDMI out from the 79avi is connected into the D2 the HDMI settings in the 79avi under Initial Settings are greyed out and not available for modification. I cannot get into the HDMI screen to change the resolution, aspect ratio, coulour, video memory and audio. The red HDMI logo on the front of the player does not light up at all.

Stan, you don't by any chance have a DVD playing when this is happening? The HDMI settings are only available if you stop the DVD that is playing, and then go into the Home Menu. Just wanna make sure you're not being thrown off by something silly like this.

Quote:


One Additional Question: In addition to analog 5.1, Are you also running a digital coax or optical cable from the 79avi into the D2? I am running a digital coaxial cable as well. I was just thinking that since HDMI 1.1 is video and audio capable into the D2 that there might be an audio conflict issue interfering with the ability of the HDMI connection to link the video and audio between the two.

I am not running an optical or digital out from the 79avi at all, only the HDMI out for all video and multichannel audio from DVD-Audio discs. I also connect the 5.1 analog of course, to play SACD's. Your theory could be correct. For testing, I would remove the digital coax cable, and just use HDMI and Analog audio.

Quote:


Again, when I bypass the D2 and connect HDMI out from the 79avi direct to my monitor I am able to see the HDMI settings on the 79avi and the red HDMI light is on.

This is a mystery, assuming the above ideas don't lead us anywhere. I'll keep thinking about it though. There is smoke emanating from my brain right now :-)

Quote:


Thanks for your help.
post #210 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX Mode View Post

I guess it comes down to the software... 1.00 version on D2 vs. 1.12 on D1

Having both - I A/B'ed them on the same system ... your mileage may vary .. but that's what I can hear

Very curious, this. What type of source and mode did you use in the comparisons--e.g., analog direct, Dolby 5.1 via coax. Or was it HDMI sound via the D2 versus another source mode on the D1??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide