or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1310

post #39271 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohai View Post

Offset Normalization

I get a message that states I am +2 db I notice a little delay in lips and sound. How do I take this back to 0db?

Dialog Normalization (set by metadata in the audio Bitstream) has nothing to do with audio/video sync.

It has to do with volume.



If you believe you have A/V sync error the first thing to do is make sure you are checking for that using content which is known to be correct to begin with! Far more often than most people realize, commercial content has sync error inherent in the content -- typically varying scene by scene. There's no point in delving into why this happens -- there are lots of possible reasons -- but the point is that it's simply not worth the effort to try chasing errors built into the content.

To check your sync, I recommend Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray. They have an excellent A/V Sync test chart on that one.

If you find you really do have sync error -- something that's not in the content in the first place -- then that could be due to a bug in your Source device or to excessive video processing time in your Display. Sometimes the best fix is to get a firmware update for Source or Display or to turn off some of the video processing "enhancements" in the Display.

If Audio is EARLY (audio ahead of video), and you decide correction in the D2v is the best thing to do, then Setup > Source Setup for each Source has a line where you can add audio sync delay. You can also adjust this for the currently selected Source by pressing and holding the "8" button on the remote until the current sync setting is displayed. Use Left/Right arrow to select a digit to change and Up/Down arrow to change that digit.
--Bob
post #39272 of 42717
Ignore this and just read ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohai View Post

Offset Normalization
I get a message that states I am +2 db I notice a little delay in lips and sound. How do I take this back to 0db?

Offset Normalization is included as meta data in the Dolby stream. It is a level control so you don't get blown out of your seat by loud commercials etc. I don't believe there is a way to turn it off although I'd have to double check on that. Roger or Bob could give much better details. In any case it should not affect timing (lip synch). Have you tried adjusting the lip-synch delay (hold down the display/8 button)?

ETA Damn that Bob guy types fast.
post #39273 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Paradigm:


That's quite strange i'd say...

1. Did you set the SPL meter to read accurately in the 70 - 80dB regions? In my radioshck one, i set the dial at the 70dB setting. I'm aslo assuming you set it to SLOW and C-weighted? Also make sure you have fresh new batteries in your meter.

2. I use true pink noise sources i download free from the net but maybe FM noise maybe ok. I use this program at http://www.esseraudio.com/test-tone-generator-windows-software-generate-test-signal-sine-pink-noise-crest-factor.html for my tests. I believe its shareware and you may if you want to use the fancier features it has...

3. Did you reverse the polarity of the LF speaker on its terminals and set the sub phase knob to zero in described in my procedure?

Please try it again and post or PM me to help iron out the details:) !
"dmusoke"

Thanks for your response, I will try to download the test noises and re-run the phase alignment as suggested. I will not get a chance to do this for next 3-4 weeks due to holidays and travel, I will be in touch once I get back to this. Thanks again.

Yes I did things you asked me to do. SLOW response, and C-weighted.
Edited by paradigm25 - 12/17/12 at 9:03am
post #39274 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne2 View Post

I never said different. What I said was the new lower priced a/v receiver line is being assembled in Asia. You should re-read my post.
Regards

You're right, mis-read your original post. Thanks for clarifying.
post #39275 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

OK, back to basics then:
1) What firmware do you have in your AVM 50? Press Select once on the AVM 50 remote to see it in the display. It should be V1.33
2) What firmware do you have in your OPPO 83? Check Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information. The Main firmware number should end 0117.
3) When playing a 5.1 SACD -- only silence -- press Select multiple times on the AVM 50 remote and list what it shows in each of the displays that come up for video and audio input and output.
4) When playing a 5.1 SACD -- only silence -- press Mode twice on the AVM 50 remote and list what it shows for the two displays
5) When playing a 5.1 SACD -- only silence -- press THX three times on the AVM 50 remote and list what it shows for the three displays
Now try this:
Power off the AVM 50. Disconnect the HDMI output cable to to your display.
Power up the AVM 50. Start a 5.1 SACD playing in the OPPO. Do you get audio now?
If not, press the Resolution button on the 83 remote, use the Up/Down arrows and the front panel display in the 83 to select 1080i output resolution and press Enter. Do you get audio now?
When connecting the 83 to the AVM 50, are you using the HDMI cable that came with the 83? If using a different HDMI cable, try replacing it with one that is 6 feet (2 meters long) -- not shorter. Make sure the cable is marketed as a "high speed cable", i.e., "for 1080p". There should be nothing else in that cable path -- no "port savers", no HDMI switches, nothing.
--Bob

1) 1.47f - finally corrected some sound issues with SACDs I was having before (crackles).
2) 0117
3) Video Input 1920x1080p/59.94 CP
Digital No signal
Input Format:
COPY PROTECTION Dig Rec Out Muted
Video Out Config 1 1920x1080p59.94
Audio Output 96khz
Output L R Format:
4) Mode for 2 Channel Input No signal
SACD Digital 1080p -35 dB
5) 2 Ch input thx mode THX Off
THX Reequalization off: when THX is off
SACD Digital 1080p -35 dB

Disconnecting HDMI to the TV did not return sound.
Reducing OPPO resolution to 1080i did not return sound.
I THINK I'm using the OPPO HDMI cable, but am not certain (I have a huge number of cables). Will have to check this later.

Any thoughts?
post #39276 of 42717
^ I think you should re-install firmware V1.33 in the Anthem and try with that.

But first check on the cable in use from the 83.

The status information says that the digital audio input from the 83 is muted. Evidently there's been a handshake failure -- most likely with respect to Copy Protection.

In general, firmware V1.33 is more robust for HDMI. And as is always true with HDMI issues, the first thing to check is the cabling.

Next time you try this, also check the front panel display on the 83. When you are playing that SACD (no audio), the SACD light should be lit and the PCM light should also be lit.

Also check Setup > Source Setup again for the SACD Source and confirm that Audio-In is Dig-HDMI, and that Auto Dig is NO.
--Bob
post #39277 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravichopra View Post

1) 1.47f - finally corrected some sound issues with SACDs I was having before (crackles).
2) 0117
3) Video Input 1920x1080p/59.94 CP
Digital No signal
Input Format:
COPY PROTECTION Dig Rec Out Muted
Video Out Config 1 1920x1080p59.94
Audio Output 96khz
Output L R Format:
4) Mode for 2 Channel Input No signal
SACD Digital 1080p -35 dB
5) 2 Ch input thx mode THX Off
THX Reequalization off: when THX is off
SACD Digital 1080p -35 dB
Disconnecting HDMI to the TV did not return sound.
Reducing OPPO resolution to 1080i did not return sound.
I THINK I'm using the OPPO HDMI cable, but am not certain (I have a huge number of cables). Will have to check this later.
Any thoughts?

I know you have probably looked at this numerous times before but, Please double check


Do you have SACD Priority: Set as Multi-Channel – To play the multi-channel surround audio layer

Do you have HDMI Audio: Set as LPCM – Digital audio output via HDMI

MOST IMPORTANT

Do you have a coaxial or optical cable connected between the Anthem and the OPPO ? If so remove it.

What source are you using to play your SACDs ?

What MODE have you preselected for that source in setup ?

Let me know
post #39278 of 42717
Ran ARC for the first time today, and ARC set my LCR and Rear speaker X-overs to 60hz and my Sub to 120hz for both Movie and Music configs. I set Sub to "flat" in advanced (Paradigm Sub 15). It sounds REALLY good, but maybe a bit bass-heavy for my taste... particularly with Cable/DVR HD content. The Music setting sounds fantastic on 2 channel music. My question is: Can I adjust the X-overs via ARC's "Targets" window to 80hz for Movie Config and upload the new calculation, or will that screw things up?

Also, what do you think of these ARC charts. Looks to me like I have some resonance issues below 100hz across the LCR's and Rears. I'm very happy with the sub measurement... It was PBK'd several months ago when placed in its final position.




Thanks!
post #39279 of 42717
^ Your charts are only showing Measured and Target curves. You need to do a Calculate and capture the charts with the Calculated curve before we can see what ARC has actually been able to accomplish.

Also, capture and post your Targets window.

Yes, you can make changes (judiciously selected) within Targets, and then re-Calculate. If you think the result looks better you can Upload that. No need to re-Measure.

I suspect you may want to reduce the Room Gain Target values, but we need the real charts and Targets window to evaluate that. Reducing Room Gain will reduce bass a bit.

Also, your solution is about 10dB above the normally recommended value of 75dB. Reduce Setup > Level Calibration > Test Level before your next Measurement run.

The excess bass from cable programs is probably in the content. Rather than changing the ARC solution you might want to apply a temporary adjustment using the buttons on the remote while listening to cable.

Also make sure you have Dolby Volume set to OFF in each Source.
--Bob
post #39280 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Ran ARC for the first time today, and ARC set my LCR and Rear speaker X-overs to 60hz and my Sub to 120hz for both Movie and Music configs. I set Sub to "flat" in advanced (Paradigm Sub 15). It sounds REALLY good, but maybe a bit bass-heavy for my taste... particularly with Cable/DVR HD content. The Music setting sounds fantastic on 2 channel music. My question is: Can I adjust the X-overs via ARC's "Targets" window to 80hz for Movie Config and upload the new calculation, or will that screw things up?
Also, what do you think of these ARC charts. Looks to me like I have some resonance issues below 100hz across the LCR's and Rears. I'm very happy with the sub measurement... It was PBK'd several months ago when placed in its final position.


Thanks!

Your charts are missing the calculated curve and only show the measured curve and the suggested curve. The missing curve by default is the Green line.
You may not have not gotten the adjusted ARC file loaded into your AVM50v. Or you erased the Calulated curve after uploading and later reopening the ARC program.
You should probably reload the file you saved in ARC, recalculate and then upload the results to your Anthem AVM50v
It would be helpful to also post the targets.

In looking at your charts the sound level is too high. Your LRC and surrounds are at about 85db and your sub is at 90db. They are all supposed to be 75db.
Maybe resetting the levels and a remeasure would be best

Temporarily if it sounds bass heavy to you I would not change what ARC has done . Use your remote and turn the sub gain down a few db to tailor the sound.
Edited by thestewman - 12/17/12 at 7:16pm
post #39281 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Your charts are only showing Measured and Target curves. You need to do a Calculate and capture the charts with the Calculated curve before we can see what ARC has actually been able to accomplish.
Also, capture and post your Targets window.
Yes, you can make changes (judiciously selected) within Targets, and then re-Calculate. If you think the result looks better you can Upload that. No need to re-Measure.
I suspect you may want to reduce the Room Gain Target values, but we need the real charts and Targets window to evaluate that. Reducing Room Gain will reduce bass a bit.
Also, your solution is about 10dB above the normally recommended value of 75dB. Reduce Setup > Level Calibration > Test Level before your next Measurement run.
The excess bass from cable programs is probably in the content. Rather than changing the ARC solution you might want to apply a temporary adjustment using the buttons on the remote while listening to cable.
Also make sure you have Dolby Volume set to OFF in each Source.
--Bob

Thanks Bob and Stew. I did a speaker level calibration in the setup menu using my iPad and an SPL app... should probably invest in a real SPL meter! wink.gif

Here are the files with the calibrated curves... I was playing with the x-over settings earlier and didn't realize it defeated the calibrated curve. Also, I was playing around with Dolby volume and it appears the overly oppressive bass was coming from that. When I turned it off, the low-end was reduced dramatically. I may still move the x-overs to 80hz for the Movie Config.




I am still having the issue with the "digital noise" when switching to Xbox... it's identifying the signal as 6-channel audio... cycling through the inputs usually resolves the problem and resets it to DD 5.1, but it doesn't sound like it's good for my speakers if I don't mute in time.

Thanks again.
post #39282 of 42717
Here's the Targets Window. The only thing I changed in this window since running ARC is setting the sub to "Flat".



Thanks!
post #39283 of 42717
Just looked at Level Calibration and the sub level calibration was set +9.5db for both Movie and Music. I don't recall moving those settings, but must have. Reducing it to 0.0db has returned everything to a more neutral sound. I'll get a real spl meter tomorrow and redo the whole thing.
post #39284 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Here's the Targets Window. The only thing I changed in this window since running ARC is setting the sub to "Flat".

Thanks!

Looks good to me. I wouldn't change a thing. The RLC blend nicely into your sub and the sub is working splendidly.
You have good HiFreq response and plenty of room gain.

Sit back and enjoy it
post #39285 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Thanks Bob and Stew. I did a speaker level calibration in the setup menu using my iPad and an SPL app... should probably invest in a real SPL meter! wink.gif
Here are the files with the calibrated curves... I was playing with the x-over settings earlier and didn't realize it defeated the calibrated curve. Also, I was playing around with Dolby volume and it appears the overly oppressive bass was coming from that. When I turned it off, the low-end was reduced dramatically. I may still move the x-overs to 80hz for the Movie Config.


I am still having the issue with the "digital noise" when switching to Xbox... it's identifying the signal as 6-channel audio... cycling through the inputs usually resolves the problem and resets it to DD 5.1, but it doesn't sound like it's good for my speakers if I don't mute in time.
Thanks again.

Go to Source setup. For the source you are using to input the XBox signal set the muting to MAX
post #39286 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Go to Source setup. For the source you are using to input the XBox signal set the muting to MAX

Got a response from Anthem tech support today to try Firmware V3.09c? I'm not even sure what Firmware I have, but the unit is brand new... special ordered from Anthem less than three weeks ago.
post #39287 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Just looked at Level Calibration and the sub level calibration was set +9.5db for both Movie and Music. I don't recall moving those settings, but must have. Reducing it to 0.0db has returned everything to a more neutral sound. I'll get a real spl meter tomorrow and redo the whole thing.

Re-ran ARC today and ARC is setting my sub levels +9.5db. Does this mean my sub calibration level is too low to start with?
post #39288 of 42717
I have v3.09 according to the front panel display... have asked Anthem to clarify if there is a difference between my Firmware and v3.09c
post #39289 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Go to Source setup. For the source you are using to input the XBox signal set the muting to MAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

I have v3.09 according to the front panel display... have asked Anthem to clarify if there is a difference between my Firmware and v3.09c

Have you tried my source muting level fix above ?

There are several improvements after 3.09 which you have and the later 3.09c

+9.5db is way to much difference. There are problems with your ARC setup.
You need to redo your ARC level adjustments and setup and remeasure, but after you load the 3.09c firmware

Did you get a real sound level meter ? And if yes did you set it to C level, Slow response ?
post #39290 of 42717
Hi Stew, Yes I have set the mute level to max, but I'm still concerned about the noise as it shouldn't do that. For some reason it's not recognizing the Xbox audio stream correctly.

Yeah, the +9.5db is strange, but I'm assuming it's because my sub level to too low to start with. I haven't had a chance to get to RS to get a real meter yet, so that's definitely part of the problem.

Would be nice if ARC set parameters such as distance, delay and level for you... but I guess that's also part of the fun, eh?
post #39291 of 42717
@boyce89976 I'm getting the exact same problem with my Xbox, I've posted to this thread previously about it.

When powering on the Xbox I get the weird/loud repeating static and have to switch away from the Xbox input and then back again. This started happening when I updated to the latest firmware a couple of months ago, in hopes that it would solve my black screen / Shocking Pink screen I'd get when switching inputs. Anthem support suggested that you turn OFF Dolby Volume on the Xbox input, but it didn't solve it for me (something related to Dolby Volume might make sense, since I didn't have this issue before and Dolby Volume was one of the "big" features added to later firmware.)

Apart from the sound/video quality, I'm increasingly frustrated with my d2v. This is a flagship AV processor that costs more than some people spend on a car, and it exhibits problems that even a $299 AV receiver from a big box store doesn't have. If I wasn't outside my Warranty period, I'd probably return it and buy something with fewer problems and better support. It's a little embarrassing that the best support for this product comes from a non-paid community member on an internet forum. And my dealer decided not to sell d2vs to any more of his customers based on the bad experience I've had.

-R
post #39292 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne2 View Post


Regards
Edit: OK I emailed tech support my test results. We will see where it goes.

Online Anthem tech support appears to be a black hole for me, this is my second contact to them and not even an acknowledgement of receipt, again. Months ago I asked for access to beta and received nothing, not even go stuff yourself. Is this the usual trend with this online service? You would think acknowledgement would be a couple of days would you not?

Regards
post #39293 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinclair View Post

@boyce89976 I'm getting the exact same problem with my Xbox, I've posted to this thread previously about it.
When powering on the Xbox I get the weird/loud repeating static and have to switch away from the Xbox input and then back again. This started happening when I updated to the latest firmware a couple of months ago, in hopes that it would solve my black screen / Shocking Pink screen I'd get when switching inputs. Anthem support suggested that you turn OFF Dolby Volume on the Xbox input, but it didn't solve it for me (something related to Dolby Volume might make sense, since I didn't have this issue before and Dolby Volume was one of the "big" features added to later firmware.)
Apart from the sound/video quality, I'm increasingly frustrated with my d2v. This is a flagship AV processor that costs more than some people spend on a car, and it exhibits problems that even a $299 AV receiver from a big box store doesn't have. If I wasn't outside my Warranty period, I'd probably return it and buy something with fewer problems and better support. It's a little embarrassing that the best support for this product comes from a non-paid community member on an internet forum. And my dealer decided not to sell d2vs to any more of his customers based on the bad experience I've had.
-R

I agree. I wish my D2V would reliably sync to all of my HDMI sources. Or any of them. I frequently power it off and back on to get things to resync. I think Anthem tech support is pretty good in comparison, but I'd much rather I didn't need it.
post #39294 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne2 View Post


Regards
Edit: OK I emailed tech support my test results. We will see where it goes.

Online Anthem tech support appears to be a black hole for me, this is my second contact to them and not even an acknowledgement of receipt, again. Months ago I asked for access to beta and received nothing, not even go stuff yourself. Is this the usual trend with this online service? You would think acknowledgement would be a couple of days would you not?

Regards

This is not normal. Check your SPAM filter and Junk Mail folder to see if email from Anthem may have gotten blocked.
--Bob
post #39295 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

This is not normal. Check your SPAM filter and Junk Mail folder to see if email from Anthem may have gotten blocked.
--Bob

I have similar experience with Anthem Support, but I must say that this Forum has been an asset, and whatever I have done to setup my system is because of help from here.

Bob and others are just phenomenally knowledgeable and supportive, it is almost unreal. Thank you all.
post #39296 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

This is not normal. Check your SPAM filter and Junk Mail folder to see if email from Anthem may have gotten blocked.
--Bob

Done before post.

Regards
post #39297 of 42717
My original charts with my new Submersive F2 and 2 new Rear speakers, which I did not have before




I had to put the sub in the back of the room as there is no front or side space other than the one creating that dip.

I used the ARC live quick measure to try and find the most 'normal' looking line.

I started in the rear right of the room and slowly slide it (120 lbs) across the back until I got the graph below.

It's the only one that didn't have any weird dips, peaks or shelfs but, I've got that dip down near 20Hz?

It existed along the entire back wall. Both the sub and the rears are behind the couch and have a similar dip, is that possibly the reason?

The sub ended up off the back wall between rear left and surround left.



post #39298 of 42717
Is there any disadvantage at all in decoding blu rays as LPCM vs bitstream ?
post #39299 of 42717
^ depends on your player. Some of the older Mediatek-based players (eg: Oppo BDP83) have issues with distortion on 7.1 tracks and can't decode 5.1 ES tracks. Now that the DTS-HD speaker-level issues are worked out in the latest Anthem firmware it would be better to bitstream if you have an older player like this.

Also, this is anecdotal but some users here have reported better, more dynamic sound when bitstreaming to the Anthem on certain DTS-HD titles. In theory the bitstreams can be authored with additional metadata that some decoders may simply ignore, while Anthem implements them to their fullest ability.
post #39300 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Re-ran ARC today and ARC is setting my sub levels +9.5db. Does this mean my sub calibration level is too low to start with?

Yes, just turn up your sub a bit next time you run ARC and re-measure.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide