Originally Posted by dmusoke
1. Disconnected and reconnected the MCH and XLR cabling between Oppo and Anthem again. Problem still persists.
2. Swappin the LF/RF cables on the Oppo didn't help. Problem still persists.
3. Swapped the LF/RF on the Anthem input and problem still persists.
4. Swapped the LF/RF on the Anthem outputs (XLR connections) into my amp and the sound 'changed' into another kind of odd. Anyways, it didn't fix the problem.
5. Installed new beta FW and followed detailed steps above(Thanks Bob!) and repeated steps 1-4 above. Nothing changed.
6. I swapped out the 105 and unpacked my Audiogon bound BDP-95 and repeated steps 1-4. Results were identical which proved the 105 is not the problem. BTW, i used new sets of IC cables for the 95 tests as i didn't want to re-wire my rack if i didn't have to.
At this point, i re-inserted the 105 in the rack and removed all interconnect cables between Oppo/Anthem/Power amplifier except LF/RF pairs only. Havin ruled out the Oppo as a possible problem cause, it then leaves the Anthem/ARC as the possible cause.
This is where thins ot interesting. I noticed my Anthem behaves in an odd way when using some of its parameters. By this, i mean i toggled the processing mode of the MCH input between Analog DSP and Analog Direct produced NO
change in sound. Remember i'm usin a stereo source.
Repeating the same for the 2CH input produced the usual difference between the ARC'd and un ARC'd sound. Switching over again to the MCH and still NO
discernable change in sound when changing processing modes between Analog Direct & Analog DSP.
When i randomly futz around the setup,menu, the MCH (Analog DSP mode) seems to 'cure' itself for a while. I then continue to compare it with the 2CH (Analog DSP mode) and then it 'dies' as before. This back and forth goes can go on forever... Somehow ARC doesn't 'stick' or work right in MCH.
The MCH sound i hear (whether using Analog DSP/Direct) is IDENTICAL
to the 2CH sound when i choose Analog-Direct(phasey like vocal imaging). So the sound i've been hearing from the MCH inputs was never truly ARC'd to begin with. This was the suprise to me! I don't know whether its a bad eeprom that is going bad or something else going on...I reloaded FW before, two versions v3.09c and beta 3.09f with no change in results. I will try to flash erase and see if this helps.
Another question ... when i toggle on/off the Room EQ option and i hear no change in sound regardless whether its analogs or HDMI input. Isn't this option supposed to turn ARC off and on?
Thanks for the help Bob and others who've stuck with me in trying to solve my problems with my setup