or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 137

post #4081 of 42688
Please excuse me if this has been asked / answered somewhere else, but...

Does anybody have experience with running 1080i through the Gennum processor? I primarily watch HD-DVD and 1080i via digital cable (both via HDMI) to a Pioneer Elite 1140 plasma. I've read a lot of good things about the processor's ability to scale / upgrade 480i input, but since I don't watch much of that, I'm trying to understand the benefit, if any, of getting the D2 vs the AVM 40.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ron
post #4082 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post

Please excuse me if this has been asked / answered somewhere else, but...

Does anybody have experience with running 1080i through the Gennum processor? I primarily watch HD-DVD and 1080i via digital cable (both via HDMI) to a Pioneer Elite 1140 plasma. I've read a lot of good things about the processor's ability to scale / upgrade 480i input, but since I don't watch much of that, I'm trying to understand the benefit, if any, of getting the D2 vs the AVM 40.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Ron the advantage is limited, first because you plasma will not accept its "native" resolution as a valid video input, *AND* because it has a fine scaler in its own right that will down-scale the 1080i input to its native resolution and do a good job of it.

Now this assumes that when you say you are watching cable at 1080i you mean you are watching HDTV channels broadcast at 1080i. If you are letting the cable box de-interlace SDTV channels and scale them to 1080i, or letting it scale 720p HDTV broadcast to 1080i, then you need to know that the de-interlacing and scaling in these boxes is pretty bad.

Now with some cable boxes you can set them to pass through exactly what they receive on each different channel: 480i for SDTV, and either 720p or 1080i for HDTV. And as I recall the Pioneer will accept HDMI 480i as input. So set up that way your Pioneer would be doing all the work.

But it is likely that the Anthem does a better job of de-interlacing SDTV 480i to 480p (a necessary step before it can be scaled). So that's one point of advantage.

The same would be true if you play standard DVDs at HDMI 480i into the Anthem.

But again you can't get the full advantage since the Pioneer will have to scale again whatever video you feed it. You would likely feed it 720p, or possibly 1080i from the Anthem, and the Anthem will do an excellent job of converting whatever video source you give it to that. But the Pioneer then has to scale that one more time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now scaling and de-interlacing aside, the video solution in the D2 provides some extra processing that you might find useful. The ability to level match all video sources to the one best style of input for your plasma is no small thing. This includes automatically dealing with "color space" and "data format" issues. Custom cropping is fun at times when watching movies on SDTV channels. And special processing features such as Gamma Correction might prove useful. In addition the Anthem gives you more flexibility for hooking up additional stuff in the future, even just for experiment.

-------------------------------------------------------------

That's the video side. The audio side of HDMI input will be the same if you go with the AVM-40, except for the differences in quality of audio processing in the D2. The D2 has a more "exotic" audio solution -- better power supplies, more processing power, higher internal processing rate, better digital to analog output stage. But there's quite a bit of price difference if you aren't really taking advantage of the video solution as well.

I use a Fujitsu plasma which also won't accept its exact "native" resolution and also has a particular good internal scaling solution. The Fujitsu's native resolution is 1366x768p, but the closest it will accept is 1360x768p (which it displays without stretching). I'm very familiar with what the Fujitsu's own scaler can do, and I like what the D2 does quite a bit better. But if I had to feed 1080i to the Fujitsu I'm not at all sure I'd still see the advantage of having the D2 in the path.
--Bob
post #4083 of 42688
I'm surprised we don't have any V1.11f software reports. I'm trying to figure out how close we might be getting to a "real" release available for download on the web site.
--Bob
post #4084 of 42688
I just started upgrading after 10 years, so this is all new to me. I just hooked up my AVM-50 amd MCA-50. My other components are: SAT - Dish HD PVR; DVD - oppo 970hd, TV - Pioneer Elite Pro-HD1. All connections to and from the AVM-50 are HDMI. I set my DishBox and oppo to output 480i and set the AVM-50 to output 1080p/60 to my plasma - Very Nice (I checked -There is no 1080i bug). I will tweak the video settings later. My first problem is this. When I first hooked up my DishBox- I used component video and Optic Cable. When I put on a dolby digital 5.1 station. The AVM switched automatically to Dolby Digital 5.1. Now that I have it hooked up with HDMI - The AVM stays at Anthem: Cinema. When I change modes the AVM reads: "Mode for 2 chan input: Anthem Cinema" or whatever mode I switch to. It always reads Mode for 2 chan input and it never changes to DD5.1 . This is my first time using HDMI cables. Is there a SAT input setting that sets the HDMI audio to digital, because it seems that I have something set to Analog.

I checked my DISHbox and the Dolby Digital setting was set to DD5.1/PCM. I set it to just DD5.1. That did not do anything. Any pointers would be aprreciated.
post #4085 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykeck View Post

I just started upgrading after 10 years, so this is all new to me. I just hooked up my AVM-50 amd MCA-50. My other components are: SAT - Dish HD PVR; DVD - oppo 970hd, TV - Pioneer Elite Pro-HD1. All connections to and from the AVM-50 are HDMI. I set my DishBox and oppo to output 480i and set the AVM-50 to output 1080p/60 to my plasma - Very Nice (I checked -There is no 1080i bug). I will tweak the video settings later. My first problem is this. When I first hooked up my DishBox- I used component video and Optic Cable. When I put on a dolby digital 5.1 station. The AVM switched automatically to Dolby Digital 5.1. Now that I have it hooked up with HDMI - The AVM stays at Anthem: Cinema. When I change modes the AVM reads: "Mode for 2 chan input: Anthem Cinema" or whatever mode I switch to. It always reads Mode for 2 chan input and it never changes to DD5.1 . This is my first time using HDMI cables. Is there a SAT input setting that sets the HDMI audio to digital, because it seems that I have something set to Analog.

I checked my DISHbox and the Dolby Digital setting was set to DD5.1/PCM. I set it to just DD5.1. That did not do anything. Any pointers would be aprreciated.

Your Dish box probably has a SEPARATE setting for HDMI audio output. By default it is likely set to convert 5.1 audio programs to a 2-channel stereo "downmix" which gets sent over the HDMI as 2-channel PCM -- which is what the Anthem is reporting. This is done for people who connect HDMI directly to their TV and want stereo audio for the TV's speakers while ALSO being able to get mutli-channel audio over optical digital audio cable to a receiver. If your Dish box works this way, you just need to find the additional digital audio setting for HDMI. The choices will likely be Dolby Digital vs. stereo, or "bitstream" vs. "PCM". What you want is the Dolby Digital or "bitstream" setting. This will send Dolby 5.1 (or 2.0) audio if that's what's coming in on the channel you are watching or it will send 2-channel PCM (stereo) or one channel PCM (mono) for other channels.

Now there ARE some older HDMI source devices that don't support more than 2-channel PCM output over HDMI under the theory that their HDMI output would only be directly connected to TVs, which typically can only handle stereo input for their own speakers. If your Dish box is of this vintage it should warn you in its manual that if you want to get multi-channel sound you need to hook up BOTH the HDMI cable (for video) and an optical digital audio cable (for audio).

Even if your Dish box sends 5.1 over HDMI (which is likely once you find the right setting), you might want to hook up optical audio cable instead ANYWAY. You would do this if you find you are getting an extra delay after video starts and before audio starts and you find this extra audio startup delay annoying.
--Bob
post #4086 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Even if your Dish box sends 5.1 over HDMI (which is likely once you find the right setting), you might want to hook up optical audio cable instead ANYWAY. You would do this if you find you are getting an extra delay after video starts and before audio starts and you find this extra audio startup delay annoying.
--Bob

Thanks. The DISH PVR is their newest model. After work, I'll go home and check the manual again and try to find the HDMI settings. And I DO NOTICE the startup delay, it was weird. I'll probably hook up the OPTIC cable also.
post #4087 of 42688
What displays actually accept the 1080p resolution as a native resolution, without the tv doing anything but displaying the signal from the d2? I want to upgrade my display soon but I dont want to get a tv or projector that wont accept the 1080p as it's native resolution without doing something to the signal. Thanks. Rob
post #4088 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykeck View Post

Thanks. The DISH PVR is their newest model. After work, I'll go home and check the manual again and try to find the HDMI settings. And I DO NOTICE the startup delay, it was weird. I'll probably hook up the OPTIC cable also.

You will still have a 1 or 2 second delay for the video to start each time you change channels where the new channel is a different output resolution from the prior channel. This is just the HDMI connection getting re-established. This is a minor nuisance (once you get familiar with it) and is well worth the price for getting "native" signals from the Dish box to the Anthem. But yes, if there's an extra audio startup delay on top of that, that's something many find too annoying.
--Bob
post #4089 of 42688
Sony SXRD XBR2 60"
post #4090 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensmarcum View Post

What displays actually accept the 1080p resolution as a native resolution, without the tv doing anything but displaying the signal from the d2? I want to upgrade my display soon but I dont want to get a tv or projector that wont accept the 1080p as it's native resolution without doing something to the signal. Thanks. Rob

There are quite a few now. Check the front projector, rear projector, or flat panel forums according to your interest. For flat panels, we've had some comments from folks here using the Pioneer Elite FHD-1. There were comments just a few pages back in this thread on various front screen projectors as well.

I plan to stick with my 768p Fujitsu plasma until I can get a plasma (or better) that does 1920x1080p at a /120Hz refresh rate and does it properly. I don't know of one of those yet, but they are clearly on the way.
--Bob
post #4091 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I plan to stick with my 768p Fujitsu plasma until I can get a plasma (or better) that does 1920x1080p at a /120Hz refresh rate and does it properly. I don't know of one of those yet, but they are clearly on the way.
--Bob

Bob: You're in the same situation as I am. The only difference is I want to replace my 50" Fujitsu plasma with a 65" display ... and and I'm impatient!

The literature on the new Fujitsu 65" 1080p PDP, ready to be sold at the end of this month, says it has "a 24p/30p mode for film based sources".

Given that it's $18,000, I'm guessing the it will refresh film based material (24fps) at 72 Hz and video based material (30fps) at 60Hz..

Interestingly, I can't find anything in the Fujitsu literature that indicates the refresh rate. As you know, some displays claim they accept 24p/30p, but they display at 60Hz, which is useless. I'm convinced Fujitsu would not do that.

LCDs seem to be ahead of the curve, as far as displaying at 120Hz.
Refresh rates of 120Hz of LCD TVs

Quote:


Sharp's flagship Aquos 92 series not only produces 120Hz images, it is also equipped with five wavelength backlights. Sony's 70-inch KDL-70XBR3 utilizes the Motionflow 120Hz technology with 10-bit panel and Triluminos LED backlight components. Philip's 42-inch Full Surround Ambilight also employs the 120Hz technology.

LGE's LY3D and LB4D series, which includes 47-, 52- and 57- inch 1080p LCD TVs, makes use of the TruMotion Drive 120Hz technology. JVC displayed a 120Hz LCD TV during 2005. This year, they presented a 37-inch full HD 120Hz LCD TV with an LED backlight structure.

Other models included Toshiba's Cinema Series Regza 1080p 42-, 46-, 52- and 57-inch models. Samsung's new 70-inch LCD TV and Hitachi's 32- and 37-inch LCD TVs added the 120Hz function as well.

As the American ATSC and European DVB-T digital broadcast standards are not transmitted in the 120Hz format, it is expected that the 120Hz refresh rate will be primarily seen in flagship models.

The other problem is these sets are/will be EXPENSIVE. Is it really worth waiting for a 65 inch + 1080p that displays at a /120Hz refesh rate? I know this is an individual decision, but it seems as if this size display is about 3 years away if you want one for <$10,000?

Sony's new 70" LCD with Motionflow 120Hz technology is 10-bit panel for ...wait for it ... $33,000
post #4092 of 42688
Beware that these 120Hz LCDs do that to try to speed up the pixel transitions -- i.e., to eliminate motion blur while still achieving high output.

I'm not at all sure these actually attempt to do film content detection properly to extract the 24Hz film stream and frame duplicate it differently than a normal video stream.

As for cost, the rate at which display prices are dropping right now is faster than just about anything else.
--Bob
post #4093 of 42688
I have just installed my AVM50 and must say I am overall very impressed. It works great with the HD sources, but not so when using 480i/576i sources over component. I have several sources that are switched over a KDS Flash Matrix Switch (KD-MSW8x3) with different resolutions (480i, 576i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), connected into the Anthem via Component (including several DVD players). It turns out that the AVM50 reads the 480i signal as "480ix1440" and the 576i signal as "576ix1152". This obviously corrupts the processing of the signal and the output on the screen looks like crap... I suppose this could be a compatibility issue with the KDS Switcher, but may also be a configuration issue on the AVM50. Any ideas/hints how to approach this problem?

Thanks, /LB

PS1: I have used the same KDS switch with other video processors and directly into projectors with no issues detecting the 480i/576i signals correctly. The KDS switch also officially supports all these signal types.
PS2: I am using software v1.11e (had the same problem with v1.11c)
post #4094 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzdoc View Post

Thanks Bob. I've called a couple of times this afternoon. Waiting for the callback.

I'll let you know what the Sat STB test shows, just for completion. I appreciate all the in-depth help.

Hi zzzzdoc, it appears I have the same problem you experienced when using 480i over component (the AVM50 detect is as 480ix1440) with very poor picture output as result. This is consistent with all 480i/576i sources I have over component, including Sony Mega Changers, Escinet DVDM-100, and OPPO DVD Player. When I feed the AVM50 480i over HDMI everything is fine, so it's only an issue with component...

Did you ever get this resolved in your setup and if so what's the trick?

Your help would be appreciated, /LB
post #4095 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars158 View Post

I have just installed my AVM50 and must say I am overall very impressed. It works great with the HD sources, but not so when using 480i/576i sources over component. I have several sources that are switched over a KDS Flash Matrix Switch (KD-MSW8x3) with different resolutions (480i, 576i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), connected into the Anthem via Component (including several DVD players). It turns out that the AVM50 reads the 480i signal as "480ix1440" and the 576i signal as "576ix1152". This obviously corrupts the processing of the signal and the output on the screen looks like crap... I suppose this could be a compatibility issue with the KDS Switcher, but may also be a configuration issue on the AVM50. Any ideas/hints how to approach this problem?

Thanks, /LB

PS1: I have used the same KDS switch with other video processors and directly into projectors with no issues detecting the 480i/576i signals correctly. The KDS switch also officially supports all these signal types.
PS2: I am using software v1.11e (had the same problem with v1.11c)

Update 1: I today bypassed the KSD Switch and the problem is still there (I should have tested this before reporting the problem yesterday), so we can rule out any compatibility issues with the KSD unit. I now have the OPPO DV-970HD connected directly to the AVM50 via Component and when feeding 480i the AVM50 detect 480ix1440 frame with a very poor end result as the deinterlacing is based on incorrect format (should of course be detected as 480ix720).

Update 2: When feeding 576i the AVM50 detect is as a 576ix1440 frame (I incorrectly stated in previous posts it was detected as 576ix1152). Either way it's still a problem as it should be decoded as 576ix720...
post #4096 of 42688
Lars158,
ZZZZDOC reported that his problem, which does indeed sound like yours, was fixed by software V1.11e.

Did your install of V1.11e complete without problems? If you are not sure, it wouldn't hurt to re-install V1.11e again.

Another thing to check is to go into the Video Source Adjust menu (under the "7" key) for each source causing problems and confirm that Frame Lock = OFF is set in the Output panel. This is the default setting, but it might have gotten changed to Auto by accident. This shouldn't make a difference, but we had one surprising report that it did.

But I think what you'll need to do is work this a bit more with Anthem. It sounds like whatever they fixed in V1.11e is not completely effective for Component 480i input.
--Bob
post #4097 of 42688
Hi guys, I just took delivery of my D2 this week and I'm loving it already. Moved from a Lexicon MC-12 and am very impressed sonically.

Most of my HDMI devices are working well, but my Toshiba XA2 HD-DVD player is very quirky with the D2. It sometimes take a lot of work to get any video via HDMI (sometimes I need to stop the player and go to the XA2 setup menu before I see anything). I also have yet to get any sound via HDMI despite trying just about every combination of audio options on the XA2 audio setup menu. I don't think it is a cable or D2 config issue, since the same input/cable works perfectly with my PS3.

I'm running the latest beta firmware that Nick just emailed me a couple of days ago - 1.11f.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to try with the XA2? From searching the thread it sounds as if there were some problems but they were fixed in an earlier beta firmware than the one I have.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave
post #4098 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Lars158,
ZZZZDOC reported that his problem, which does indeed sound like yours, was fixed by software V1.11e.

Did your install of V1.11e complete without problems? If you are not sure, it wouldn't hurt to re-install V1.11e again.

Another thing to check is to go into the Video Source Adjust menu (under the "7" key) for each source causing problems and confirm that Frame Lock = OFF is set in the Output panel. This is the default setting, but it might have gotten changed to Auto by accident. This shouldn't make a difference, but we had one surprising report that it did.

But I think what you'll need to do is work this a bit more with Anthem. It sounds like whatever they fixed in V1.11e is not completely effective for Component 480i input.
--Bob

Bob, thanks for your suggestions! Just to make sure I did reinstalled the v11.e software (the installation is indeed successful) and also double checked the settings for FrameLock and they are all set to OFF for my 480i sources. So, unfortunately did this not solve the issue at hand.

I can see from other postings that a new version of the software, v1.11f has been released. Any information what changed from v1.11e to 1.11f? Perhaps there is something in this new release that will address these 480i over component issues (I hope)...
post #4099 of 42688
Thanks to Bob I found the AVM-50. I pulled the trigger and have an AVM-50 on order. I have to wait 2 weeks. That should give me plenty of time to read through most of the thread and be ready with any tweaks.

I will be hooking up to a 52" Sony XBR2 LCD. If anyone has one I would be grateful for any tips!

Bob - Thanks again for pointing me to Anthem!!!

Mark
post #4100 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight View Post

Hi guys, I just took delivery of my D2 this week and I'm loving it already. Moved from a Lexicon MC-12 and am very impressed sonically.

I don't think it is a cable or D2 config issue, since the same input/cable works perfectly with my PS3.


-Dave

Don't discount the cable so fast - even if you used the cable
with a different device. I have found even the best HDMI
cable themselves can be quirky. I have a Pioneer BDP-HD1
and a Toshiba HD-A1 feeding my D2 via HDMI. Out of the
blue - my Pio input to the D2 seemed to get flaky. I reseated
the HDMI cable in the Pio and all is well AGAIN.

As for not getting audio over HDMI - there are D2 Menus
for configuring that. Double check your Input Settings.

I ALSO Upgraded from a MC-12b to a D2.
post #4101 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Don't discount the cable so fast - even if you used the cable
with a different device. I have found even the best HDMI
cable themselves can be quirky. I have a Pioneer BDP-HD1
and a Toshiba HD-A1 feeding my D2 via HDMI. Out of the
blue - my Pio input to the D2 seemed to get flaky. I reseated
the HDMI cable in the Pio and all is well AGAIN.

As for not getting audio over HDMI - there are D2 Menus
for configuring that. Double check your Input Settings.

I ALSO Upgraded from a MC-12b to a D2.


a lot of these flakey occurences are characteristics of hdmi no matter what you use.
post #4102 of 42688
The HDMI connector is just a friction fit and it is very sensitive to whether or not it is fully seated. It is not uncommon for an HDMI plug to work loose just a little bit under strain from the cable or even vibration. And if so, you will lose the signal. As you can imagine, some HDMI plugs/sockets have tighter fit than others.

If this becomes a nuisance, consider supporting your HDMI plug in the socket by using twist ties to attach the HDMI cable (near the socket) to something else such as a nearby cable. Do this so that the plug is held firmly in the HDMI socket -- straight in -- without being pressed or pulled in any direction.

Personally I think the mechanical design of the HDMI connector is one of the worst things about the whole standard.
--Bob
post #4103 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Personally I think the mechanical design of the HDMI connector is one of the worst things about the whole standard.
--Bob

On most of my HDMI Equipment I can use the TRICK
Cable and Ball Latches shown in the Link Below.

http://www.bestdealcables.com/hdmiballmount.aspx

However - the Anthem D2 dose not have the needed HDMI
screw to allow the Ball to screw in
post #4104 of 42688
Thread Starter 
dknight

Bes ure to use "PCM" for HDMI multi-channel audio in the HD-XA2, and not "Auto". The "Auto" setting in the XA2 is NOT working like the "Auto" setting of the Toshiba HD-A1, and that's confusing alot of peoples (and causing alot of headaches to some others).

"Auto" in the XA2 with HDMI 1.3 will allow (supposedly) the newest HD codecs (DTS-HD and MA, Dolby TrueHD, DD+) to be transmitted digitally as native bitstreams in the future. And Auto was causing me headaches also with my D2. I'm now using "PCM" in the XA2 and it's working flawlessly for me.

And also, don't use "Auto-Dig" in the D2.
post #4105 of 42688
From discussions with another poster, some interesting results for folks who do not yet have an HDMI display:

Suppose you have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player with both Component and HDMI outputs that has the characteristic that BOTH of these outputs are live at the same time if both are hooked up -- presuming you are playing any of the current HD-DVD or Blu-Ray titles which don't yet prohibit high-def Component video output. The player will also need an optical digital audio output.

Without an HDMI display you will find that you can't mix HDMI audio input with Component video input in the Anthem (due to HDMI copy protection). So typically you would hook Component video and either multi-channel analog audio or optical digital audio to the Anthem and then Component video to your display. This would work, but you can't get lossless DIGITAL audio that way. You either get the "compatibility" digital audio track over the optical connection or you get whatever quality of analog audio output the player produces according to the quality of its own analog audio output stage.

There's an alternative, however:

Run HDMI to the Anthem and set HDMI Repeater=NO on that input so that the HDMI connection will stay live even though you don't have an HDMI TV connected to the Anthem output. The Anthem lies to the player and says it is directly connected to a TV. That gets lossless audio over HDMI into the Anthem. Meanwhile you can run Component video directly to the TV. That gets high def video to the TV since both player outputs are active at the same time.

That's cool by itself, but since you don't have video running through the Anthem you can't use any of the processing in the Anthem. This may not be a problem for playing HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies but it would be annoying if you wanted to use the video solution in the Anthem while playing standard DVDs in this player.

But there's another way to go.

Hook up BOTH HDMI and Component to the Anthem. You will also need to hook up optical digital audio to the Anthem. Finally you will need to run TWO sets of Component video to your display -- one from the Anthem Main path output and one from the Anthem Zone 2 output.

To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies, set the player to high def output (on both the Component and HDMI outputs) and set it to send lossless PCM digital audio over the HDMI output. Set up an input device on the Anthem (DVD for example) so that this particular HDMI input goes to the scaler. This is a necessary step to access the HDMI audio on that input. Once again, set HDMI Repeater=NO so that there's no problem due to not having a TV on the Anthem's HDMI output. Set audio to use the digital audio coming in on the HDMI. Meanwhile ALSO enter the Component input socket set you used to connect the player to the Anthem in the Component input line. Finally set Zone 2 output to be the UNprocessed version of the Main path. You do this in the Setup/Video Output menu. Zone 2 has to be UNprocessed for this to work. Note that this also means you can not get the Anthem On Screen Display on that output.

Set this way, when you select this input device on the Main path the HDMI will bring in audio and the HDMI video will be discarded (since there's no HDMI TV connected, and copy protected HDMI input content can not be sent to a Component output). The Main Component ouput will, thus, be turned off. But the SEPARATE Component video you connected will still be LIVE, and will go UNprocessed to the Zone 2 output! Finally select the input on the TV that you have connected to the Anthem's Zone 2 output.

You can't process the high def video "passed through" this way, so this is equivalent to running Component directly from the player to the TV. There's no way to use HDMI for audio and ALSO process Component video through the Anthem. HDMI copy protection won't let you mix HDMI audio with video from any other source. But set up as above, the Component video goes unprocessed through to the Zone 2 output anyway.

The reason for doing all this is for when you want to play standard DVDs.

To play standard DVDs, set the player to send 480i over Component video and "bitstream" digital audio over the optical digital audio cable. Meanwhile set a second input device on the Anthem (perhaps DVD2) to send the appropriate Component input to the scaler and to use the optical digital audio input for audio. Finally select the input on the TV that you have connected to the Anthem's Main Component output.

This is the normal setup for processing Component video along with "bitstream" digital audio from a player. The audio (and video) coming in on the HDMI cable is ignored. The Zone 2 output would have an UNprocessed version of the Component input on it, but you ignore that by switching the TV to its other Component input. As usual, the Anthem video output settings would be set to produce the best output resolution, etc., for your display on that Main Component output.

To switch from one playing mode to the other you need to:

1) Set the video output resolution on the player. If the player doesn't automatically switch between HDMI PCM output and "bitstream" output over the optical cable then you need to select that as well.

2) Select the appropriate input device on the Anthem. As described above that would be DVD for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs and DVD2 for standard DVD discs.

3) Select the appropriate Component video input on the TV. Use Component from the Main path for watching standard DVDs. Use Component from the Zone 2 path for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies.

This setup gains lossless digital audio over HDMI for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playback at the expense of losing the abilty to process the high def video on its way from the player to the display. You also lose the Anthem On Screen Display when playing HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs this way. But you can still process all forms of STANDARD video (including OSD) and get digital bitstream audio over the optical connection for standard DVD play as normal.

Once again, to get BOTH lossless HDMI audio AND processed video for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray play you have no alternative but to change to a display with an HDMI video input.
--Bob
post #4106 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE View Post

Be sure to use "PCM" for HDMI multi-channel audio in the HD-XA2, and not "Auto". The "Auto" setting in the XA2 is NOT working like the "Auto" setting of the Toshiba HD-A1, and that's confusing alot of peoples (and causing alot of headaches to some others).

"Auto" in the XA2 with HDMI 1.3 will allow (supposedly) the newest HD codecs (DTS-HD and MA, Dolby TrueHD, DD+) to be transmitted digitally as native bitstreams in the future. And Auto was causing me headaches also with my D2. I'm now using "PCM" in the XA2 and it's working flawlessly for me.

And also, don't use "Auto-Dig" in the D2.

Levesque,

I tried the above two changes and my audio is working now. Thanks so much!

I popped in Batman Begins to try out the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack and ended up watching the entire movie. WOW! What a difference!

My D2 is still having issues the first time the XA2 is turned on until I stop playback and go into the XA2 setup menu (that is when I first get a picture). I have some new HDMI cables enroute from Monoprice so I'll try those out and see if it behaves any better.

Thanks again for the tips. They were right on the money!

-Dave
post #4107 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

From discussions with another poster, some interesting results for folks who do not yet have an HDMI display:.......

Bob,

Thanks for the excellent information, and thanks to the other poster as well! Those are some GREAT work arounds for those of us who don't have an HDMI display yet. My 5 year old 64" Pioneer RPTV looks too good to give up just yet, and flat screens in this size still cost a bundle. (ie post # 4091 )

I have been using a cumbersome audio work around of three sets of analog input cables and a switcher, as I listen to SACD on my Pioneer 79 AVi and HD-DVD from my Toshiba A1, but of course this leads to a massive tangle of cables behind my audio rack. I guess I will still need one set of analog cables for SACD, but I can at least retire two sets and then get better sound to boot!

Great find!

Mike
post #4108 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post


I stopped using Analog In when I sold my MC-12b.

Of course - I would highly recommend the D1 to D2 Upgrade [GRIN]!

Hello drhankz,
I am new among seen and I would like to know your opinion on the resonant qualities of this pre amplifier Anthem D2 in relation to your former Lexicon MC12, in SSE and in pure hifi, thank you to indicate me the advantages and inconveniences, outside very sure its superiority in video.

Regards,
post #4109 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Bob,

Thanks for the excellent information, and thanks to the other poster as well! Those are some GREAT work arounds for those of us who don't have an HDMI display yet. My 5 year old 64" Pioneer RPTV looks too good to give up just yet, and flat screens in this size still cost a bundle. (ie post # 4091 )

I have been using a cumbersome audio work around of three sets of analog input cables and a switcher, as I listen to SACD on my Pioneer 79 AVi and HD-DVD from my Toshiba A1, but of course this leads to a massive tangle of cables behind my audio rack. I guess I will still need one set of analog cables for SACD, but I can at least retire two sets and then get better sound to boot!

Great find!

Mike

Glad you like it Mike! I'm perhaps being overly cautious in not stating the other poster's name, but since the discussion happened in PMs I'll let him decide whether to chime in.

It occurs to me that you can also use this setup to compare the high def video sent directly to your TV vs. what you get if processed through the D2:

Using the setup described above, if you select the "DVD2" input while watching an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc you will have PROCESSED Component output on the Main output (according to your current Setup / Video Output settings) and UNprocessed Component output on the Zone 2 output. Audio will be via the optical cable so it will only be the "compatibility" track -- such is life. But now you can A/B the two inputs on your TV and see just what the Anthem might be doing for video quality compared to what your TV does when handed the raw, unprocessed Component video from the player. This can help you decide whether you are losing anything important to you in video quality when using the "DVD" input setup to listen to the HDMI lossless PCM audio track. It might also help in verifying that your PROCESSED Video Output settings are really set up correctly.

================================

EDITED TO ADD: Be aware, however, that the "best" level settings in your TV when viewing processed video from the Anthem may very well be different from the "best" level settings for viewing unprocessed video passed through from the player. This is just the nature of video calibration. You need to calibrate the two inputs on your TV separately for the two types of input signal before you will be able to make a meaningful comparison.

And if you try this unprocessed video pass through trick from more than one source device then you will also need to calibrate the input on your TV used for viewing the Zone 2 path separately for EACH such source device since the Anthem can not adjust the levels to one, standard, video output signal as it does on the Main path output.
--Bob
post #4110 of 42688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathis08 View Post

Hello drhankz,
I am new among seen and I would like to know your opinion on the resonant qualities of this pre amplifier Anthem D2 in relation to your former Lexicon MC12, in SSE and in pure hifi, thank you to indicate me the advantages and inconveniences, outside very sure its superiority in video.

Regards,

I had been a Lexicon Owner Since DAY ONE - CP-1, to DC-1, to MC-1
to MC-12b. A couple of times I switched away from Lexicon to something
that seemed to have Newer Technology - but because of the SOUND
QUALITY of the Lexicon Gear - I always came back. I never lived with
a NEW piece of gear more than a month before going back to Lexicon.

With the advent of HD DVD players and Blu-Ray Players - I needed to
upgrade to something with HDMI. I FULLY INTENDED to upgrade to
the Lexicon MC-12HD. But once Lexicon said NO 1080p support on
the MC-12HD - I was off to the Anthem D2. The D2 is the only gear
I HAVE FOUND - that is in the QUALITY SOUND CLASS of Lexicon.

When I had my Lexicon MC-12b - I had an EXTERNAL Video Processor
to generate 1080p Video to my Sony Ruby Projector. When I bought the
Anthem D2 - I got EQUAL QUALITY - Video Scaling for FREE.

By Selling my MC-12b and my VP50 - I PAID for the ANTHEM D2.
It has the QUALITY of BOTH UNITS - AUDIO & VIDEO and they
are integrated together and WORK perfectly for me in my THEATER.

A HAPPY D2 OWNER
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide