or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1362

post #40831 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc52002 View Post



If any one symptom is eliminated that clears the cable then it has to be something else right? It works without issue (so far) through input 5 as it used to through input 2. That eliminates the cable.

 

This does not eliminate the cable as being a problem especially when dealing with capacitance.  Capacitance is variable and only a small amount might make a difference like using input 5 which is on a different board and probably has slightly different capacitance.  It can also be affected by temperature and age of cable.  Temperature fluctuation is not usually a problem in the home environment and age might only change it a couple of pico-farads.  But, if you are the edge of that digital cliff it can be enough to cause problems.  When dealing with HDMI problems it I best to find out if it is an equipment issue or a cabling issue.

 

  The easiest practical way to do it is by using short cables and test the system.  As stated there can be problems with short cables just not as common.  Most don't use this simple method because it is a pain to move their equipment near each other to test it but it can save a ton of time chasing your tail, trying different combinations of equipment or replacing equipment that isn't the cause of the problem. Other than trying different settings like 36 bit (12bit x 3 colors) to 24bit (8bit x 3 colors) it should be the first step in diagnosing HDMI problems.

 

The Key digital cable is not DPL certified and given its longer length I find it very suspect.  There haven't been any cables over ~25ft that have passed DPL testing without some type of circuitry like Redmere or active cables.

http://www.dpllabs.com/page/dpl-approved-products

post #40832 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

I think you should check with Runco as I remember them stating their DLP projectors are not capable of 36bit deep color and are actually only 8 bit due to the limitations with the single chip
Texas instrument chip

I will check it out but still it has been working fine for a few years now (and since last summer with the Oppo) so I am not confident that is an issue. Thanks
post #40833 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Also, which firmware did you install? V3.09? Talk to Anthem about getting access to the "test" firmware releases on their password protected page. They are up to V3.09j now. None of the bug fixes should be relevant, but it wouldn't hurt to try the newer firmware anyway "just in case".

You are correct that HDMI 5-8 input use different hardware than 1-4, but the type of failure you are describing is not something I've seen reported from the firmware, so if that's what's doing it, it would be a hardware failure.

There WAS a firmware problem that could produce your symptoms in firmware earlier than V3.09 -- fixed quite some time ago.
--Bob

I did install the last official 3.09 but have not tried any of the beta versions. I think I still have the password from way back if it has not changed to get access. I am also thinking it could be a hardware issue. I played with it last night with a couple movies through HDMI 5 and none of the issues showed up.

The stuttering video only applied to one disc I tried (Jack Reacher) so maybe it is just that disc for some reason. Django played all the way through with out any issue at all in any way. I could almost like clockwork make Reacher stutter by forwarding to the next chapter, it would start and I pause and go again and clears up or if I switch the input in any way (whether it is from 24 to 60 and back or switch off to any input and back it would fix the issue until it cropped back up again) This did not matter if I had deep color on or off or lower res settings etc. In other words it seems to be independent of the sparkle issue. Hard to say if it is the way the Oppo handles this disc or the D2v. The good news I only use 2 HDMI inputs so if it is hardware I am not in crunch to get it fixed for now. Yay. But I would still like to figure it out. Thanks Bob.
post #40834 of 42717
Hmmm. That is interesting info. I could swear I saw that the cable was certified but in any case I can't remove the equipment from built in racks and even get it within 6 feet of where the projector is mounted to try shorter cables. I guess if I can continue to have success with the HDMI 5 input I can live with it for now as is. I still have a hard time grasping the fact it has worked perfectly and now not and I usually migrate to what I perceive as the most likely scenario first. For me I still think it may be a hardware issue as that would seem more plausible than the cable going bad. Just my opinion of course. I can't back that up with any real fact or that I am some engineering genius of which I am not, just my gut feeling. But your points are well taken, understood and could very well be spot on I just won't really know unless I move the equipment in some way. I am going to run some more discs through and see if the jerky video applies only to the Reacher disc or not. I hope so but if not I am still back to a hardware concern, whether it is the Oppo, D2v or cable in some way.

Thanks!
post #40835 of 42717
There is probably no need to move anything or upgrade the cable. You are good having both resolution settings fixed at 1080p and using 24p when appropriate. Through mode is only available in the Anthem with the "3D bypass" upgrade. Without that you manually need to switch the Anthem video output config to change frame rate between 24p and 60p. You can still use "source direct" mode in the Oppo if you want.

However:
In the Oppo set Deep Color OFF.
In the D2v video output configs set DATA to 8-bit. The AUTO settings are adding variables, like Bob said.
That will fix your sparkles and make the HDMI handshake more reliable.

Please report back about the stuttering.
Edited by AVfile - 6/9/13 at 9:57am
post #40836 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc52002 View Post

I did install the last official 3.09 but have not tried any of the beta versions. I think I still have the password from way back if it has not changed to get access. I am also thinking it could be a hardware issue. I played with it last night with a couple movies through HDMI 5 and none of the issues showed up.

The stuttering video only applied to one disc I tried (Jack Reacher) so maybe it is just that disc for some reason. Django played all the way through with out any issue at all in any way. I could almost like clockwork make Reacher stutter by forwarding to the next chapter, it would start and I pause and go again and clears up or if I switch the input in any way (whether it is from 24 to 60 and back or switch off to any input and back it would fix the issue until it cropped back up again) This did not matter if I had deep color on or off or lower res settings etc. In other words it seems to be independent of the sparkle issue. Hard to say if it is the way the Oppo handles this disc or the D2v. The good news I only use 2 HDMI inputs so if it is hardware I am not in crunch to get it fixed for now. Yay. But I would still like to figure it out. Thanks Bob.

Have you updated your OPPO firmware ? Many have reported a new copy protection on the Jack Reacher BD disk that gives playback problems.
post #40837 of 42717
I believe you also have the video format set to AUTO rather than YCbCr or RGB. You may wish to experiment with different settings and see what your projector prefers. 4:2:2 would be the simplest for the Oppo to generate, but I have found RGB (Video not PC) to produce equally good results. The Anthem VXP works with Studio RGB natively, so if your display is happy with that it might work better than AUTO. It will definitely simplify the HDMI handshake and make it more reliable, maybe even faster.
post #40838 of 42717

If everything is working great!!!  I understand it is difficult to move the projector to the equipment or vice versa but it is the best method.  However, If you run into this problem again and you might as it sounds like you may be on the edge of the digital cliff.   Try this before moving equipment.  Set the output resolution going to the projector to 480P.  If it works at 480P then try 720P, 1080i, 1080P.  If you lose the signal as the resolution goes up it is most likely a cable problem.

 

BTW, when I say the cable is bad it does mean it has a short, loose connection or poorly constructed, it means it is not capable of handling the bandwidth needed for that signal. This has been a problem with cables for a long time.  However, in the digital world once the signal degrades so much we lose picture and sound, it is all or nothing.  With analog a decreased signal meant we lost quality.  With analog though we still had picture and sound, and the average person couldn't tell if they were getting only 900 lines of resolution instead of 1080.  The signal would have to be pretty poor before the average person noticed.

post #40839 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Have you updated your OPPO firmware ? Many have reported a new copy protection on the Jack Reacher BD disk that gives playback problems.

I did install the new beta version as that was the only release available that I could update to from the existing install. Did not make any difference. I searched a bunch looking to see if there were any issues with the Reacher disc and could not find any but if there are others saying so I am inclined to agree for sure. I have not had any more issues yet with the video stuttering so it is looking more and more like it could be just that disc. If you can by chance attach any link to other conversations about that disc I would like to read about it. Thanks!

As for the other suggestions above I will be working through the suggestions and will update in a day or 2 once I have a good sample of work to give a good report back. Thank you all for chiming in.
post #40840 of 42717
Hey Guys...

Just a note if anyone you know is looking for an Anthem D2V 3D...I have my personal unit for sale for only$5,500.00 plus shipping. Yes, only $5,500.00 Like new and yes, is the 3D version.

We are moving into our motor home and thus can not use this now. My loss, is someone GREAT gain.

PM me. Ready to ship.
post #40841 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

Hey Guys...

Just a note if anyone you know is looking for an Anthem D2V 3D...I have my personal unit for sale for only$5,500.00 plus shipping. Yes, only $5,500.00 Like new and yes, is the 3D version.

We are moving into our motor home and thus can not use this now. My loss, is someone GREAT gain.

PM me. Ready to ship.

Great Deal - I am sure it will SELL FAST
post #40842 of 42717
Who is this Bott guy anyway??? First he spams the Oppo threads trying to sell his 93 and 103 and now the Anthem thread. This is why we have for sale forums. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Motor Home my...



















tongue.gif Just in case somebody doesn't have a sense of humor I know who Mr Bott is.

Oh yea I just picked up a 3D model for that price on the big auction site by the Bay and yes that's a very good price. If I had known you were selling I would have jumped on it and had you autograph it. biggrin.gif
Edited by obie_fl - 6/12/13 at 3:25pm
post #40843 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

Who is this Bott guy anyway??? First he spams the Oppo threads trying to sell his 93 and 103 and now the Anthem thread. This is why we have for sale forums. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif Motor Home my...


tongue.gif Just in case somebody doesn't have a sense of humor I know who Mr Bott is.

Oh yea I just picked up a 3D model for that price on the big auction site by the Bay and yes that's a very good price. If I had known you were selling I would have jumped on it and had you autograph it. biggrin.gif

Ok, that was funny. smile.gif I would have signed it for you. On the last auction on the Home Theater Cruise I had a t-shirt with the original AVSForum logo on it. When we tried to action it for charity it did not go anywhere. I then signed it and it sold for $80.00. I guess what I am saying is thanks for valuing what I have done.

Still have it. It is the 3D version...the current selling version with an MSRP of $9,500! We are moving our soon.
post #40844 of 42717
...I've had the Statement D1 for a while now and was wondering if Anthem would be able to upgrade/install HDMI so that I could take advantage of the latest surround programs...

...thanks, in advance
post #40845 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post

...I've had the Statement D1 for a while now and was wondering if Anthem would be able to upgrade/install HDMI so that I could take advantage of the latest surround programs...

...thanks, in advance

I believe the ANSWER is a BIG NO
post #40846 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I believe the ANSWER is a BIG NO

...my ego is not that big...a small no would also work...

(the reason for the question is that someone on audiogon.com claims to be selling a D2 which was upgraded from a D1.)
post #40847 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post

...my ego is not that big...a small no would also work...

(the reason for the question is that someone on audiogon.com claims to be selling a D1 which was upgraded to D2.)

That is possible because they use to do it.

They stopped many years ago
post #40848 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

That is possible because they use to do it.

They stopped many years ago

Thanks.
post #40849 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post

Ok, that was funny. smile.gif I would have signed it for you. On the last auction on the Home Theater Cruise I had a t-shirt with the original AVSForum logo on it. When we tried to action it for charity it did not go anywhere. I then signed it and it sold for $80.00. I guess what I am saying is thanks for valuing what I have done.

Still have it. It is the 3D version...the current selling version with an MSRP of $9,500! We are moving our soon.

Dave, i would have bought that $80.00 shirt, but it was too small:)
many happy trails in your new toy.
the paint job is terrific: looking forward to the inside views.
Am familiar with the Prevost conversions, and am certain that your 'Tour' will be even more grand.
Anticipating the next Home Theater Cruise. Always a special treat.
Walt & Marily-Anne Pletcher, in sunny Florida.
post #40850 of 42717

Has anyone compared the sound of the D2v in Analog-Direct versus a HT bypass switch? The reason I'm asking is that when I bypass the D2v and connect my Oppo BDP-105 direct to my Sunfire power amp, the sound seems 'better' and 'cleaner'.  Am I imagining things here?

 

Sorry but I don't have the syrupy lingo audiophiles use to describe what I hear.

 

Is there a way to have both a bypass switch(of some sort, recommendations?) and a D2v in my system?

post #40851 of 42717
I dunno, Most would claim that it is totally transparent in analog direct mode. It could be that it was just a tiny bit louder which was perceived as cleaner. So you have to make sure to match levels within 0.5 dB before making any such claims or you may get flamed on here.
post #40852 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Has anyone compared the sound of the D2v in Analog-Direct versus a HT bypass switch? The reason I'm asking is that when I bypass the D2v and connect my Oppo BDP-105 direct to my Sunfire power amp, the sound seems 'better' and 'cleaner'.  Am I imagining things here?

Sorry but I don't have the syrupy lingo audiophiles use to describe what I hear.

Is there a way to have both a bypass switch(of some sort, recommendations?) and a D2v in my system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I dunno, Most would claim that it is totally transparent in analog direct mode. It could be that it was just a tiny bit louder which was perceived as cleaner. So you have to make sure to match levels within 0.5 dB before making any such claims or you may get flamed on here.

There may be a difference in impedance when connecting the OPPO direct to your Sunfire amp.
The only way I know to listen to 2 channel stereo without any Anthem Pre/Pro influence is using a 2 channel stereo preamp with a HT bypass built in.
post #40853 of 42717

Thanks guys ... I'm willing to accept a mismatch in levels in my tests. So what volume setting on the Anthem corresponds to no gain or 0dB?

 

Or (put another way), if I have a source with 2Vrms output max, then what volume setting will produce a 2Vrms output from the anthem?

 

- David

post #40854 of 42717
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thanks guys ... I'm willing to accept a mismatch in levels in my tests. So what volume setting on the Anthem corresponds to no gain or 0dB?

Or (put another way), if I have a source with 2Vrms output max, then what volume setting will produce a 2Vrms output from the anthem?

- David

That is not what I was saying about impedance mismatch which will change the sound not the volume.

And

You cannot level match by setting the Anthem Volume control. You could level match by setting the analog input level in setup.
The output of the OPPO analog should be fxied not variable
post #40855 of 42717

Good catch on the volume level match...

 

The input impedance to the Sunfire is high enough at 20k to 25kohm, a suitable match to the 100 ohm (200 ohm XLR) output impedance of the Oppo so there should be no problem there. Besides, D2v output impedance is 300 ohm (RCA) and 600 ohm (XLR) and it plays nice with the Sunfire.

post #40856 of 42717

Anyone having trouble bit-streaming MCH audio using an Oppo 103/105 and a D2v?.

 

I can bit-stream stereo but not 5.1 audio. I have to switch the Oppo to LPCM to hear 5.1 audio. Both the Oppo and D2v are using the latest beta firmware...

post #40857 of 42717
No problems here with 103 and D2v using production firmware on both though. I'm sure Bob P would have noticed this by now. What is the media source?
post #40858 of 42717

Blurays ...

post #40859 of 42717
Do you have one Oppo output going directly to the display? If so do you have Split A/V set?
post #40860 of 42717

I have Dual Display setup in the setup screen. Both HDMI outputs of the Oppo go to the Anthem inputs. I tried to disconnect one output, which muted the video on the TV for a bit but was re-established afterwards. Still no audio ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide