or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide - Page 1393

post #41761 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Interesting RS-232 behavior in conjunction with URC remote. I am setting up RS-232 for control of the D2V from my MX-5000/MRX-2 combination, and have noticed an interesting, and repeatable, failure condition. If you are controlling the volume up/down on the D2V via an RS-232 based MX-5000, and you hold down either of them to speed up the "ramp" of the volume, it works quite nicely. But hold it down for too long, say 10 seconds or so, and the D2V will "lock up" completely and refuse to answer any subsequent RS-232 commands. Not just volume commands, but ANY commands. It's almost like you've "flooded" the system and it gives up the ghost. Powering the D2V off then waiting and powering back on DOES NOT solve it. Nor does unplugging and reseating the URC cable from the MRX-2 to the D2V (tried both ends of that cable). Even tried flashing the MX-5000 and restarting it to no effect. I even tried Restoring Factory Defaults on the D2V and then setting the D2V back to baud rate of 9600 (my chosen rate on both ends) and that DOES NOT fix it either.

The ONLY way I've been able to get the D2V to respond again after provoking the failure condition is to reload the 3.09 software via PC and then reconnect the URC MRX-2 afterwards. Then it will work again, until such time as some family member holds down volume too long! Then it's back to the salt mines! By the way, before anyone says "flow control", I actually tried using RTS/CTS on the D2V and the same failure condition exists.

Thoughts there detectives of RS-232??? Thanks as always.

-Brian
Have you tried power cycling the URC?

Flow control only work if both ends of the cable are configured to use it.

I've not done much of anything with the RS-232 control stuff, but I believe one of the common issues is whether or not the Anthem is set to echo back incoming commands. If the URC does not need that, then you could turn that off in the Anthem. I.e., the problem may be one of overwhelming the return input buffer in the URC.
--Bob
post #41762 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Have you tried power cycling the URC?

Flow control only work if both ends of the cable are configured to use it.

I've not done much of anything with the RS-232 control stuff, but I believe one of the common issues is whether or not the Anthem is set to echo back incoming commands. If the URC does not need that, then you could turn that off in the Anthem. I.e., the problem may be one of overwhelming the return input buffer in the URC.
--Bob

Yeah, thanks Bob. I have the same symptoms whether the Return Status is enabled on the D2V or not. In fact, I purposely disabled this on both the D2V and the URC settings for the MX-5000, even though I ultimately will want to use them, just in an effort to isolate the cause of the problem. I started with the simplest of setups in other words, just 9600 baud rate, no flow control, and no return status on either end. It still fails. Then it fails the exact same way when I enabled Flow Control. Then it fails the exact same way when I enable TX Status feedback on the D2V and on the MX-5000 URC side. I get the feedback for Volume/Mute in this last case, but I can still provoke the failure condition the exact same way as the other tests. So, it would seem that the variables I've tested do not matter.

Oh and yes I tried rebooting the MX-5000 remote, no luck.

-Brian
post #41763 of 42682
^ Can you add a short delay on the Volume Up/Down commands issued by the URC over RS232? A bit of a slowdown may enable the Anthem to keep up and avoid overrun.
--bob
post #41764 of 42682
I was going to recommend pulling the plug on the D2 same as the switch on back but you got it.

Bob beat me to it too but I was thinking maybe a delay in between commands. I'm using iRule and a Global Cache RS232 and haven't seen this. Maybe I'll play with the volume some more and see if I can kill it.
post #41765 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by obie_fl View Post

I was going to recommend pulling the plug on the D2 same as the switch on back but you got it.

Bob beat me to it too but I was thinking maybe a delay in between commands. I'm using iRule and a Global Cache RS232 and haven't seen this. Maybe I'll play with the volume some more and see if I can kill it.

Interesting. What baud rate do you use?? I'm starting to wonder if I jack up the baud rate on both ends to something very high that maybe the D2V will keep up in "racing" conditions of flooding more commands. And yeah, please do let me know if you can mimic the behavior I'm seeing on it. I will try and introduce delays in the macro (easily done), but I don't want to reduce the functionality of a button as important as volume up and down buttons.

Thanks.
post #41766 of 42682
Gonna be a late one tonight. Gonna set up the d2v in a few
post #41767 of 42682
Ok all set up and working.......love it!! Only 1 downside so far. My OSD works on the pre/pro display, but not on the TV screen. Is this normal? I can't figure it out and my d2 had it
post #41768 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

Ok all set up and working.......love it!! Only 1 downside so far. My OSD works on the pre/pro display, but not on the TV screen. Is this normal? I can't figure it out and my d2 had it

No it's certainly not normal. The osd to the TV should be working fine.
post #41769 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post


No it's certainly not normal. The osd to the TV should be working fine.

OSD only works on HDMI 1 out

post #41770 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

Ok all set up and working.......love it!! Only 1 downside so far. My OSD works on the pre/pro display, but not on the TV screen. Is this normal? I can't figure it out and my d2 had it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas steve View Post

OSD only works on HDMI 1 out

In Source Setup do you have the Scaler Input set to THROUGH ? The OSD will not display on your Video display.
post #41771 of 42682
ok i think i should have added some more info. i can access the setup screen no problem and do all the settings via the OSD. what i'm not getting (which i liked) was the display on the tv whilst using remote. i.e......volume, mute, input, etc. i had all this on the D2 and was it omitted on the D2V?
post #41772 of 42682
^ Make sure you are using the upper (Main) HDMI output from the D2v to your display. The on-screen text generator for things like Volume is only available on that output.

If you are using that output and still not getting it, then go into Setup and recheck your settings for the on-screen display to make sure you haven't accidentally turned that off.

See Section 3.12 of the Manual.

The on-screen text is also not available for any Setup > Source Setup which is set to use "THROUGH" video mode -- i.e., when watching 3D content.
--Bob
post #41773 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Make sure you are using the upper (Main) HDMI output from the D2v to your display. The on-screen text generator for things like Volume is only available on that output.

If you are using that output and still not getting it, then go into Setup and recheck your settings for the on-screen display to make sure you haven't accidentally turned that off.

See Section 3.12 of the Manual.

The on-screen text is also not available for any Setup > Source Setup which is set to use "THROUGH" video mode -- i.e., when watching 3D content.
--Bob

thanks bob.....will recheck everything tonight. i'm using the top 4 hdmi inputs only. fingers crossed i'll get it working and keep you updated
post #41774 of 42682
^ The key here is the OUTPUT. There are two HDMI outputs, one above the other. Only the upper one -- the Main HDMI Output -- has that text generator in its signal path.
--Bob
post #41775 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The key here is the OUTPUT. There are two HDMI outputs, one above the other. Only the upper one -- the Main HDMI Output -- has that text generator in its signal path.
--Bob
yes that one is plugged in its correct location. i connected all my sources on the top line of hdmi's
post #41776 of 42682
ARC and Parallels?

I'm looking to migrate laptops and I've previously used bootcamp on a 7+ year old laptop. I'd like to use Parallels to run ARC on my AVM50v 3D. Any issues that we are aware of? I'm still running XP to do all ARC measurements.

Thanks all!
post #41777 of 42682
^ The only issue you are likely to run into is whether it plays nice with the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter. ARC doesn't actually use anything fancy in Windows except for the media framework (part of the default XP install) which lets it get to the microphone. A long LONG time ago we had reports here that VMWare wasn't working well with the Keyspan adapter, and a Belkin adapter fixed that. There have been newer versions of VMWare since then, and no recent reports of problems. I don't recall any complaints about Parallels re using ARC.

On my setup (Bootcamp) I had to go to Windows 7 (Home Premium, 32-bit) because support for XP got dropped in Bootcamp for the latest Mac OS X. Turns out you can get an OEM configuration install disc of Windows 7 from Amazon (primarily sold to people building computers) which is a good deal cheaper than the normal version, at the expense of offering NO free support from Microsoft, and being signature locked to the first hardware you install it on.
--Bob
post #41778 of 42682
does it matter what arc kit to use? i think my D2 has arc 3.0 and the d2v has 2.04
post #41779 of 42682
^ ARC v3.0.2 (available from the D2v software downloads section of the Anthem web site) is the correct version to use for both the D2 and the D2v (with or without 3D) as well as the AVM 50, 50v, and 50v/3D.

Did you buy a used D2V? Don't bother installing that v2.0.4 ARC, and if you've already installed it go into Windows Control Panel's section for programs and uninstall it (then reboot).

Download and unzip the ARC v3.0.2 install kit from the Anthem site. Open up the folder that results and dive in a few levels to find the Setup.Exe program -- which is the installer itself.

Now insert that outdated ARC install disc that came with your D2v. If the installer on it starts up automatically just Quit out of it. On the CD, dive in again until you find the same Setup.Exe program. In that same location on the CD you will find two files with names made up of numbers. Check that the pair of numbers on each of them match the Serial # of your D2v and the Serial # of the ARC mic that came with your D2v. (If not, email Anthem Tech Support and explain the discrepancy -- telling them the correct Serial #s for your D2v and your ARC mic -- and they can email you the pair of files you need). These two files are your ARC license and your ARC mic's individual calibration data file.

Do not use those 2 files if the numbers are wrong, as you will get bad mic data when using the wrong mic calibration file.

Presuming the numbers are right, copy those two files from the CD to the location where you found Setup.EXE in the downloaded ARC v3.0.2 stuff. You are now done with the CD and should eject it.

In the downloaded ARC v3.0.2 stuff, run the Setup.EXE program you previously found (the installer). It will install ARC v3.0.2, and copy those two files to the right location as part of the install. Reboot after the install. You only have to do this stuff with the CD once, as those two files are preserved in the installed location when you install later versions of ARC, even if you uninstall ARC v3.0.2 first. But save the CD in case you need those two numbered files in the future for some newer computer (for example).
--Bob
post #41780 of 42682
^^^^^ yes i bought a used D2v with 3D installed. i saw the kit said 2.04 on the side. whereas the D2 kit is brand new and never been used. it says 3.0 on the side of it. i was wondering if there was a difference in the kits or is it just whats on the cd?
post #41781 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The only issue you are likely to run into is whether it plays nice with the Keyspan USA-19HS USB/Serial adapter. ARC doesn't actually use anything fancy in Windows except for the media framework (part of the default XP install) which lets it get to the microphone. A long LONG time ago we had reports here that VMWare wasn't working well with the Keyspan adapter, and a Belkin adapter fixed that. There have been newer versions of VMWare since then, and no recent reports of problems. I don't recall any complaints about Parallels re using ARC.

On my setup (Bootcamp) I had to go to Windows 7 (Home Premium, 32-bit) because support for XP got dropped in Bootcamp for the latest Mac OS X. Turns out you can get an OEM configuration install disc of Windows 7 from Amazon (primarily sold to people building computers) which is a good deal cheaper than the normal version, at the expense of offering NO free support from Microsoft, and being signature locked to the first hardware you install it on.
--Bob

I can confirm that under the most current build of Parallels I can run XP and was able to successfully have the Anthem microphone and the Keyspan-19HS recognized. I obviously needed to install the drivers for the Keyspan for it to be recognized properly. I didn't do a full measurement; I only started, got the sweep tones, then aborted. I'll see what I can do over the weekend for a full test.

I'm inferring that there would be no issues running this via Parallels as a result.

Theo
post #41782 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

^^^^^ yes i bought a used D2v with 3D installed. i saw the kit said 2.04 on the side. whereas the D2 kit is brand new and never been used. it says 3.0 on the side of it. i was wondering if there was a difference in the kits or is it just whats on the cd?

No it's just what's on the CD. As long as those numerically named files match the serial number of the D2v and the ARC mic, you are good to go. Just install ARC v3.0.2 -- with those two files -- as instructed.
--Bob
post #41783 of 42682
Ok another question. How does one know if it has the 3d board installed? Anything in setup menu? It's version 3.09 if that helps.

Also I still can't figure out why I can't see why my info won't show up on the screen when using remote. I shouldn't have to walk up to the pre/pro to see what my volume is or how much bass, treble, db gain, etc

Do the D2v's have a splash logo when powering up? Mine doesn't have the logo like the D2 did
Edited by porschetech - 10/10/13 at 8:55pm
post #41784 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thxtheater View Post

I can confirm that under the most current build of Parallels I can run XP and was able to successfully have the Anthem microphone and the Keyspan-19HS recognized. I obviously needed to install the drivers for the Keyspan for it to be recognized properly. I didn't do a full measurement; I only started, got the sweep tones, then aborted. I'll see what I can do over the weekend for a full test.

I'm inferring that there would be no issues running this via Parallels as a result.

Theo

Dunno about the D2V variant, but the MRX variant of ARC works fine on a Mac over Parallels.
post #41785 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech View Post

Ok another question. How does one know if it has the 3d board installed? Anything in setup menu? It's version 3.09 if that helps.

Also I still can't figure out why I can't see why my info won't show up on the screen when using remote. I shouldn't have to walk up to the pre/pro to see what my volume is or how much bass, treble, db gain, etc

Do the D2v's have a splash logo when powering up? Mine doesn't have the logo like the D2 did

Press the SELECT button on the remote. The D2v display should display on the top line - D2v 3D and the firmware verson installed
post #41786 of 42682
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Press the SELECT button on the remote. The D2v display should display on the top line - D2v 3D and the firmware verson installed
Hmm......I hope I wasn't scammed. Just says D2v v3.09
post #41787 of 42682
There was a firmware bug that omitted the "3D" in the Status text. It should show it during the power-up "splash screen" though.

Please do a factory reset to load all the defaults. The previous owner may have set an option to display a custom splash screen and move/disable the OSD.

After doing that and you have confirmed it is a 3D model, install the 3.10 firmware. The Status text bug will be gone and it will say 3D.

If it is not a 3D model then you will need the last good beta - 3.09j or thereabouts.
Edited by AVfile - 10/10/13 at 10:13pm
post #41788 of 42682
^^^ ok I just did reset. I still didn't see splash logo (took a while to power up though) and still only displays D2v v3.09

Now I'm getting concerned. Seller was adamant it has 3D board installed. He said I could see it. I must admit the top 4 hdmi inputs looked new from behind. He also told me to call anthem to confirm it has 3D.
post #41789 of 42682
It could still be the firmware bug I mentioned. There is no graphical splash logo if that's what you mean. Just the banner "ANTHEM D2V 3D A/V PROCESSOR" as soon as you apply power and a similar one when you shut down.

If you go into a Source Setup menu can you see an option for Vid Out Cfg: Through?
post #41790 of 42682
Yeah that's correct. No banner stating what the pre/pro is. Also I did check vid out config 1. I scroll down to COMPNT 2 OUT : Processed. I can then select passthru, zone 2 or off. Is that what you mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide