or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 279

post #8341 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post

It's that time of my life (creeping up on mid-life crisis -- coincidence?) where I'm redoing my entire HT set-up from scratch but my budget, at the moment, still isn't as large as I'd like. I also live in Canada which means my online choices are limited (unless I order from the States and get killed by customs on duty and other fees).

There's a dealer in Winnipeg that sells Monitor speakers, amongst others. One of their staff really recommends the RX6 and I've read enough about it both here, and at other forums, that it's a pretty great speaker for the money. Hopefully soon I'll have a chance to test drive them and see if they're all that.

I'm going to build it piece meal as it's probably the best way to go. On the one hand it's frustrating because having everything all at once would be awesome but on the other it's not feasible. So my questions to you Monitor owners:

If I don't get a sub with this purchase (again, the damn budget; plan on ordering one online in the future, perhaps from SVS) what would be the better second speaker(s) to go with: a centre channel or surrounds? Or just wait it out and get one of them later? Right now my wife is allowing me $2500 for the initial purchase. The WAF isn't about the size or kind of speakers, it's how much play money she's allowing me to have.

Also, has anyone done mis-matching with their Monitor set-ups, for example, Silver fronts (L/C/R) but Bronze surrounds? I personally don't have a very large room (about 16' by 14') and any surrounds I do get will be about a foot behind my couch, max.

Finally, is the purchase of speakers the most difficult thing you'll do in your entire life, even more than marriage?

You could always buy used to get more from your budget. I am in Canada as well and love the CAM classifieds ( not sure if a link is allowed here so pm me if you don't know CAM)
Having the mains and centre match is more important than the surrounds, you would be fine using the bronze with silver series fronts and centre.
I recently changed from RS6, RSLCR fronts to the RX2 and GSLCR Big difference in my room and I am loving it. The GSLCR and RX series have similair drivers (well closer than comparing RS to GS anyway) and sound great together. I use 2 pair of older SFX for surrounds and love them. An SVS cylindrical sub rounds out the system and all speakers were bought used. The cost was $2100 CDN. not includiing the sub.
Food for thought, enjoy the hunt.
cheers,
post #8342 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

You could always buy used to get more from your budget. I am in Canada as well and love the CAM classifieds ( not sure if a link is allowed here so pm me if you don't know CAM)
Having the mains and centre match is more important than the surrounds, you would be fine using the bronze with silver series fronts and centre.
I recently changed from RS6, RSLCR fronts to the RX2 and GSLCR Big difference in my room and I am loving it. The GSLCR and RX series have similair drivers (well closer than comparing RS to GS anyway) and sound great together. I use 2 pair of older SFX for surrounds and love them. An SVS cylindrical sub rounds out the system and all speakers were bought used. The cost was $2100 CDN. not includiing the sub.
Food for thought, enjoy the hunt.
cheers,

How is that cylindrical sub? Looks like it'd be easy to place nearly anywhere.

I'll give CAM a shot but if I can't find anything I can always go new and just take my time building it. Of course I need to mate the speakers with a new receiver since my other one died...

At any rate thanks for the insight!
post #8343 of 10045
My RX8's arrived today They are beautiful. I am looking forward to hooking them up. Way to noisy around my house to run Audyssey tonight, so Im going to have to wait.

To my question, They came with a note that says to check the bolts on the back of the speaker? What are these for? It says to loosen then retighten.
post #8344 of 10045
They hold the drivers in.
post #8345 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

They hold the drivers in.

Interesting, never seen that before.
post #8346 of 10045
^You'll notice there are no screws to hold the drivers onto the front baffle. Instead the drivers have a bolt on the back that goes through the cabinet and is secured on the back of the cabinet. You can read all about that on Monitor Audio's website. They use it in many of their speaker lines nowadays.

I first saw a bolt-through design like that on Energy's Veritas 2.x speakers that came out around 1999. There may have been even earlier examples of this that I'm not aware of.
post #8347 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

Does anyone know how tight the screw that connects the drivers needs to be? I was surprised to find that, for my speakers, the screws were very loose, and each one at a different level of torque. I tightened them a bit, but careful not to overdo... thought I asked first.

A leaflet should have come with your speakers (separate from the manual, I think) explaining how to do it. For my Bronzes, it says I should untighten the bolts until their heads come out of the cabinet, then tight them just enough to start touching the cabinet, then add 1/4 of a turn - if I remember correctly.

We are also supposed to repeat this procedure every now and then to make sure everything is in place - the drivers may become loose overtime, depending on how hard/how often you drive them.

I believe it should be the same for any current MA speakers that use this system, but you should better double-check that leaflet.

VMat
post #8348 of 10045
Small tip for BX2 owners how to remove the chrome rings.

I really like how the bx2 looks and use them without the grill. However the chrome rings didn´t look good to my eyes. So I removed them. Used an utility knife and scratched them out. The chrome is like separate paint layer which peels of fairly easily. You only need to be really carefull so you dont scratch or damage rest of the speakers. Take your time and be precise.

Tip: I used what I had here home at hand. Removed the blade from utility knife. Used the non sharp front end. Like a pencil. You can use scratching motion or paint brushlike one direction. Use very light pressure so you don´t dig in to the plastic. Tweeter is the easiest so better start there and you´ll get the hang of it.

Here´s the end result.
LL
post #8349 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMat View Post

A leaflet should have come with your speakers (separate from the manual, I think) explaining how to do it. For my Bronzes, it says I should untighten the bolts until their heads come out of the cabinet, then tight them just enough to start touching the cabinet, then add 1/4 of a turn - if I remember correctly.

We are also supposed to repeat this procedure every now and then to make sure everything is in place - the drivers may become loose overtime, depending on how hard/how often you drive them.

I believe it should be the same for any current MA speakers that use this system, but you should better double-check that leaflet.

VMat

Thanks VMat. I din't remember any leaflet, so I just checked. I only have the user manual and one about 'safety'. My speakers were dealer demo, and got them at a discount. Maybe the leaflet was missing. Live and learn, I would have thought that they'd made sure the all the documentation was there, or at the very least taken a few minutes to explain about the bolts.
post #8350 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

Thanks VMat. I din't remember any leaflet, so I just checked. I only have the user manual and one about 'safety'. My speakers were dealer demo, and got them at a discount. Maybe the leaflet was missing. Live and learn, I would have thought that they'd made sure the all the documentation was there, or at the very least taken a few minutes to explain about the bolts.

It's literally a 4X6 piece of paper. I actually threw away mine by mistake at first. I'll see if i can find mine and scan you a copy.
post #8351 of 10045
Here is the paper.
LL
post #8352 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucum View Post

Here is the paper.

Thanks! All the bolts were still not tightened enough. They should be OK now. Perhaps MA should include this info in the user manual as well as having a separate leaflet. I wonder if the bolts being loose might have influenced the sound quality.
post #8353 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Upsetter View Post

Let us know what you think after a couple of hours of break in.

I keep going to write something about how I am finding my new GX50's... but they keep getting better day by day! At first from out of the box I liked what they did for vocals and guitar, but the mid-range and bass was lacking so things like piano notes sounded weak.

Some days I have been leaving them playing full range music while away at work and have noticed improvements each time. Bass is now starting to sound like subs are also on in the room. That is one thing that struck me when I auditioned a set at the dealer. The mid-range still isn't as dynamic as my PSB Imagine B's, but the extra detail and clarity and natural smoothness of the 50's treble is very intoxicating.

They also throw a good soundstage with good imaging. I think the ribbon's lack of vertical response is a good thing. Less reflective sound coming back off my relatively low ceiling. I have the GX50s on stands that puts the midway point between the ribbon and woofer at my seated ear level. I find too much detail drops away if my ear level is above the top of the ribbon.

All in all I am loving these speakers as fronts in my 5.1 system. Can only wonder how much better they will get with even more time on them. Can see myself ordering the GXC150 center shortly.
post #8354 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

I wonder if the bolts being loose might have influenced the sound quality.

Probably have, if they were loose enough to allow the drivers to move/vibrate inside the cabinet, or to allow some air to flow through any openings other than the ports.

VMat
post #8355 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudadelgato View Post

perhaps ma should include this info in the user manual as well as having a separate leaflet.

+1.
post #8356 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post


Thanks! All the bolts were still not tightened enough. They should be OK now. Perhaps MA should include this info in the user manual as well as having a separate leaflet. I wonder if the bolts being loose might have influenced the sound quality.

At least it could be posted online to download. I expect many new owners go to the website for any number of things, including such docs. Since
I bought the center several months after the RX6's, I had forgotten about this until I read it here. It will be done as soon as I get home.
post #8357 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

I am using a Yamaha RX-A2000 to drive a RX6 & RX Center. I would like to add a power amp, probably 5 channel. Emotiva needs much available space, which I don't have to spare. This tends to drive up the price or reduce the channels to 2. Are these speakers considered hard to drive? How much is "enough" power? Volume is not the issue, but headroom could be improved. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I have a similar setup like you but have an Onkyo 809 and RXFX's for surrounds. You have a beautiful receiver and don't feel you "need" more power. I have an Emotiva XPA-3 powering my fronts and it does a great job powering the rx6's especially in pure direct mode as the mid bass is more defined and highs are a little smoother at higher volumes for music. For movies I can't tell too much of a difference as I do have a capable sub and speakers fed nothing below 80hz for movies. My Onkyo has never felt that it couldn't handle the task which is similar in power to your receiver. Is there a difference adding a power amp? To me for music a definite yes.... For movies not as much but my centre channel seems to have a fuller sound to it which is smoother..... Again this is my experience.. Is it worth it to add an amp with the receiver you have? Probably not.... Would you like the peace of mind adding an amp? Definitely! I am more confident playing the speakers at higher volumes as well than I would with just the receiver.

My room is 19x11x8 so not very big but am fortunate to have a dedicated media room in my new house. As much as I love having my Emotiva XPA-3 I could live without it just fine as well.

The amp just fit on my stand but I am looking for a new one that is a little deeper than what I have. It sticks out a little but fortunately the feet are recessed a few inches to get there footing on the stand.
post #8358 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchPope View Post


The difficult part is being happy with the ones you end up buying.

Very true... You can be very happy with the ones you got but will always be curious of how another will be compared to what you got. I think once a person makes a decision/purchase they should not read forums like these unless they have an issue or problem that needs a solution from one of us as it is far easier to get upgraditis reading testimonials about everyone's setup. Gets you thinking.... You start digging for more information on here and over there and back.... And before you know it your wallet becomes lighter and you may have to deal with the wife on the purchase. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems word of mouth information plays as much in part of an audio related purchase than the auditioning of the audio equipment itselft. This to me is fine as everyone needs a push in some direction and that is one of the reasons why we come to these forums to discuss. The hobby can be expensive and everyone wants the best value they can get within their budget. You can buy the best of this and that but it is the way you implement your equipment from smaller budgets on up that will make the biggest difference for the most part.

In the end be happy and proud with whatever route you choose.

I chose Monitor Audio Rx series as they sound fantastic and look great as well at their price. My speakers are in rosenut and the wife loves them too. Always curious about other speakers though....
post #8359 of 10045
I've had my RX6's for about 14 months now. From personal experience these metal based drivers take longer to break in than non-metallic. My speakers are STILL sounding better over time and I play these guys for 20-30 hours a week.

I hope you experience the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

I keep going to write something about how I am finding my new GX50's... but they keep getting better day by day! At first from out of the box I liked what they did for vocals and guitar, but the mid-range and bass was lacking so things like piano notes sounded weak.

Some days I have been leaving them playing full range music while away at work and have noticed improvements each time. Bass is now starting to sound like subs are also on in the room. That is one thing that struck me when I auditioned a set at the dealer. The mid-range still isn't as dynamic as my PSB Imagine B's, but the extra detail and clarity and natural smoothness of the 50's treble is very intoxicating.

They also throw a good soundstage with good imaging. I think the ribbon's lack of vertical response is a good thing. Less reflective sound coming back off my relatively low ceiling. I have the GX50s on stands that puts the midway point between the ribbon and woofer at my seated ear level. I find too much detail drops away if my ear level is above the top of the ribbon.

All in all I am loving these speakers as fronts in my 5.1 system. Can only wonder how much better they will get with even more time on them. Can see myself ordering the GXC150 center shortly.
post #8360 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Upsetter View Post

I've had my RX6's for about 14 months now. From personal experience these metal based drivers take longer to break in than non-metallic. My speakers are STILL sounding better over time and I play these guys for 20-30 hours a week.

I hope you experience the same.

I'm glad I bought 10 year old Golds. I don't have to worry about break-ins.
post #8361 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post

How is that cylindrical sub? Looks like it'd be easy to place nearly anywhere.

I'll give CAM a shot but if I can't find anything I can always go new and just take my time building it. Of course I need to mate the speakers with a new receiver since my other one died...

At any rate thanks for the insight!

Love the SVS cylindrical sub! They are of course down firing and can be placed almost anywhere inside the "soundfield" with very pleasing results! Most guests have never seen this type of sub and are usually shocked when they ask where my sub is.
CAM is a great site and certainly does not hurt to browse, cheers.
post #8362 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post


Of course I need to mate the speakers with a new receiver since my other one died...

At any rate thanks for the insight!

What receivers have you looked at so far? Any luck on the speaker search?

I am in Canada, originally from Sask but live in Halifax now.

I have MA RX6, RXC and RXFX
ONKYO 809
Emotiva XPA 3
Bic Acoustech PL200 sub-cheap but decent
post #8363 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post



The amp just fit on my stand but I am looking for a new one that is a little deeper than what I have. It sticks out a little but fortunately the feet are recessed a few inches to get there footing on the stand.

Thanks for your comments. It is music that is mostly my concern. With the Emotivas, clearance on top is the problem. They ask for up to 6 inches for air flow or fans. There are ones with lesser demands, but they are quite a bit more expensive. A 2-channel amp has been suggested but obviously not help beyond those 2. Would there be an issue of the RX center not have such power, especially with timber? This center was added because of such factors.
I know I mostly indecisive ;-(
post #8364 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

Thanks for your comments. It is music that is mostly my concern. With the Emotivas, clearance on top is the problem. They ask for up to 6 inches for air flow or fans. There are ones with lesser demands, but they are quite a bit more expensive. A 2-channel amp has been suggested but obviously not help beyond those 2. Would there be an issue of the RX center not have such power, especially with timber? This center was added because of such factors.
I know I mostly indecisive ;-(

I have an XPA-3. 6 inches clearance seems very much on the cautious side, as you probably expect the manufacturer to be. My unit never gets even slightly warm to the touch (I can hardly tell it's on), even after many hours of usage. I have about 4 inches clearance on top, though the cabinet is open front and rear. In hindsight, I am not sure an external power amp was 'needed', but for sure it did not hurt, and it looks cool.
post #8365 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post


Thanks for your comments. It is music that is mostly my concern. With the Emotivas, clearance on top is the problem. They ask for up to 6 inches for air flow or fans. There are ones with lesser demands, but they are quite a bit more expensive. A 2-channel amp has been suggested but obviously not help beyond those 2. Would there be an issue of the RX center not have such power, especially with timber? This center was added because of such factors.
I know I mostly indecisive ;-(

I'm sure after you set everything up with just a 2 channel amp powering your fronts and getting levels calibrated you would be happy with centre channel performance from the receiver. But I think if you go that route you will always question yourself on not having an external amp for the centre even if it all gels together nice. There will be that stupid what if unfortunately. Just like when I bought my receiver and figured I'll be done I was like what if I got a 3 channel amp, what if this or that lol. We all suffer from that unfortunately in some form or another. But shopping around is half the fun and having external amp will help give you some form of peace of mind whether or not it is worth it is up to the individual.

Which 2 channel were you thinking for your rx6? If you are thinking of the XPA-2 I would think it would be overkill but would be nice to have for sure and I have had previous amps before from Acurus and wish I never sold them... Oh well. Don't worry about being indecisive. Sooner or later you will decide.

Regarding clearance on my XPA 3 I have about 2 inches but the amp has never gotten warm like a receiver would. My receiver is warmer than the amp when in use when no speakers be pushed by receiver. As long as you don't choke the amp you should be fine.
post #8366 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post


I'm sure after you set everything up with just a 2 channel amp powering your fronts and getting levels calibrated you would be happy with centre channel performance from the receiver. But I think if you go that route you will always question yourself on not having an external amp for the centre even if it all gels together nice. There will be that stupid what if unfortunately. Just like when I bought my receiver and figured I'll be done I was like what if I got a 3 channel amp, what if this or that lol. We all suffer from that unfortunately in some form or another. But shopping around is half the fun and having external amp will help give you some form of peace of mind whether or not it is worth it is up to the individual.

Which 2 channel were you thinking for your rx6? If you are thinking of the XPA-2 I would think it would be overkill but would be nice to have for sure and I have had previous amps before from Acurus and wish I never sold them... Oh well. Don't worry about being indecisive. Sooner or later you will decide.

Regarding clearance on my XPA 3 I have about 2 inches but the amp has never gotten warm like a receiver would. My receiver is warmer than the amp when in use when no speakers be pushed by receiver. As long as you don't choke the amp you should be fine.

Thanks again. The 2 channel is the Audiolab 8200P, which is offered for $799. This company offers a 7 channel for $2199, but that's over the WAF price limit. We have made the change to our current set up over he last 4-5 months, so we really need to keep listening and later make a decision if the power amp is needed at all. I live in St. John's, Newfoundland and the options are limited once outside the Best Buy/ Future Shop circle. In fact, asking about power amps in either store is frustrating as one sales rep didn't know what I was talking about and the other could help only with a special order, with no list of what would be offered, even online. FWIW, I'm not the indecisive type, but I can stall awaiting more information or, in his case, a chance to listen.
post #8367 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

Thanks again. The 2 channel is the Audiolab 8200P, which is offered for $799. This company offers a 7 channel for $2199, but that's over the WAF price limit. We have made the change to our current set up over he last 4-5 months, so we really need to keep listening and later make a decision if the power amp is needed at all. I live in St. John's, Newfoundland and the options are limited once outside the Best Buy/ Future Shop circle. In fact, asking about power amps in either store is frustrating as one sales rep didn't know what I was talking about and the other could help only with a special order, with no list of what would be offered, even online. FWIW, I'm not the indecisive type, but I can stall awaiting more information or, in his case, a chance to listen.

I can imagine your options are limited out there. I am down in Halifax but originally from Sask. Moved here from Edmonton recently where they have around five different dealers all selling different brands from one another for the most part. Prices were good and of course taxes were only 5%. Out here in Halifax the choices are limited as well but the staff seem to be pretty good fortunately compared to your case. Tax is a killer out here on high priced items to where I would rather buy used and pay shipping instead.
post #8368 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post

The hobby can be expensive and everyone wants the best value they can get within their budget. You can buy the best of this and that but it is the way you implement your equipment from smaller budgets on up that will make the biggest difference for the most part.

In the end be happy and proud with whatever route you choose.

Really good post, just snipping most of it to save space.

When I bought my first telescope I spent months, bloody months researching which one to get. Being a Manitoban and having limited choices I had to purchase "blind" online based off of research I did. Fortunately it all worked out for the best. Could I have spent more and got better? Quite probably. But my budget didn't have thousands to spend on a fancy computerized scope. So I made do with what I had and now I'm slowly upgrading it by buying better eyepieces.

So just like you said, word of mouth helps and work within your budget. Can't start second guessing yourself unless you buy absolute junk (and I'm pretty certain that if I go with Monitors, they won't be junk!), just bite the bullet and go with it. Of course you still have to make the choice and as everyone probably knows it's not easy. Unless you have lots of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Love the SVS cylindrical sub! They are of course down firing and can be placed almost anywhere inside the "soundfield" with very pleasing results! Most guests have never seen this type of sub and are usually shocked when they ask where my sub is.
CAM is a great site and certainly does not hurt to browse, cheers.

Cool, I'll keep it in mind! I think Sonicboomaudio ships them from a Canadian address which would be double great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggy_9 View Post

What receivers have you looked at so far? Any luck on the speaker search?

I am in Canada, originally from Sask but live in Halifax now.

I have MA RX6, RXC and RXFX
ONKYO 809
Emotiva XPA 3
Bic Acoustech PL200 sub-cheap but decent

Hello other fellow Canadian.

I'll confess I haven't looked for receivers yet. It's more or less been because of time, budget and sometimes even attitude (I don't care, I can live without, etc etc). I suppose though that going with something like RX6 means getting receiver that can drive them well. Speakers, hopefully audition some soon but my schedule sucks and I rarely ever get into "the big city" regularly.

I'd like to get a receiver for under $1000 if at all possible. Big points regarding it are 1) it has to drive RX6's without blowing up and 2) have no handshake issues with a PS3 as that's what I use as my media centre/blu-ray player. That's probably equally important as the first point.

Thankfully my budget for receiver is different than speakers but still a budget. :/

And thanks again, everyone. You're awesome.
post #8369 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucum View Post

Here is the paper.

This is the same paper that came with mine. It would be nice if they added what the bolts are for, so noobs like me don't have to ask dumb questions
post #8370 of 10045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaffy View Post




I'll confess I haven't looked for receivers yet. It's more or less been because of time, budget and sometimes even attitude (I don't care, I can live without, etc etc). I suppose though that going with something like RX6 means getting receiver that can drive them well. Speakers, hopefully audition some soon but my schedule sucks and I rarely ever get into "the big city" regularly.

I'd like to get a receiver for under $1000 if at all possible. Big points regarding it are 1) it has to drive RX6's without blowing up and 2) have no handshake issues with a PS3 as that's what I use as my media centre/blu-ray player. That's probably equally important as the first point.

Thankfully my budget for receiver is different than speakers but still a budget. :/

And thanks again, everyone. You're awesome.

The Yamaha RX-A 710 & 810 are both under $1000. They have enough power to drive the RX6's without self destruction. They could use more power, but will work well without it ( or a least until you want to add it). Can't help with the handshake issue, but hasn't happened with the 2000 with anything I've tried to add.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread