or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 290

post #8671 of 10041
thanks for your reply upsetter, alpha and beaveav
post #8672 of 10041
Be great if the cable discussion trolls would take a holiday. If people ask for opinions they are entitled to accept/dismiss the advice but please stop knocking those just offering opinions, suggestions & assistance.

At the end of the day its your choice whether you use some old bell wire or $1000/m cable. Some people can / cant afford decent cables and others dont feel it makes any difference. Both perfectly valid positions.

I personally use mid-high end interconnects & speaker cable because I can hear the difference to others I've used and I enjoy the improvement in my system.

Give the knocking a break. Its tiresome.
post #8673 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Be great if the cable discussion trolls would take a holiday. If people ask for opinions they are entitled to accept/dismiss the advice but please stop knocking those just offering opinions, suggestions & assistance.
At the end of the day its your choice whether you use some old bell wire or $1000/m cable. Some people can / cant afford decent cables and others dont feel it makes any difference. Both perfectly valid positions.
I personally use mid-high end interconnects & speaker cable because I can hear the difference to others I've used and I enjoy the improvement in my system.
Give the knocking a break. Its tiresome.

Couldn't agree more! There will always be opinions we can disagree with, but trashing someone adds nothing to the discussion. Much of this hobby is subjective, so asking for advice/ information is important to the development of those decisions and getting a good feeling before purchasing.
post #8674 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

Couldn't agree more! There will always be opinions we can disagree with, but trashing someone adds nothing to the discussion. Much of this hobby is subjective, so asking for advice/ information is important to the development of those decisions and getting a good feeling before purchasing.
When the issue is subjective, I agree that each should be entitled to his opinion, but when its a question of fact, I believe dubious claims should be questioned.

There are many things in this hobby that are subjective (e.g. how 'good' a speaker sounds), but the frequency response of a cable is not one of them.
post #8675 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienbuckley View Post

Be great if the cable discussion trolls would take a holiday. If people ask for opinions they are entitled to accept/dismiss the advice but please stop knocking those just offering opinions, suggestions & assistance.
At the end of the day its your choice whether you use some old bell wire or $1000/m cable. Some people can / cant afford decent cables and others dont feel it makes any difference. Both perfectly valid positions.
I personally use mid-high end interconnects & speaker cable because I can hear the difference to others I've used and I enjoy the improvement in my system.
Give the knocking a break. Its tiresome.
What's tiresome is people suggesting that cables could possibly be a good place to spend money, beyond what it costs to get the looks or functionality you want. There's just no way they make the cut on the basis of sound quality, that's a fact and not a philosophical debate.

Here's why: If someone has an extra $[fill in the blank] to spend, there will always be a much better way to spend it than on cables. Always.

And if you go beyond just sound quality, to how to get the most enjoyment from a system, it's even more true There are so many much better ways to spend money. And just as importantly, time.

While what you do is your business, advising others to spend money on cables when you're here makes it our business. If you want to pimp cables, go find the AV BS Forum. This isn't it.

.
Edited by buzzy_ - 7/16/12 at 6:15pm
post #8676 of 10041
Told you so. smile.gif
post #8677 of 10041
^Yep, you were prophetic. Nailed that one.
post #8678 of 10041
Converted my RS-W12 to RX-W12 today!

450
post #8679 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Converted my RS-W12 to RX-W12 today!
450

Now that is very interesting.
post #8680 of 10041
yeah, was getting a low volume buzz, likely the transformer or something onboard the amp. The new RX series subs just changed the amp, class D, so the large transformer is removed totally, and the amp sits perfectly where the old one was. Supposed to have a little more ooomph too, so they say.
post #8681 of 10041
By the looks of it, you need to make one more adjustment..
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You need to fix your signature... smile.gif
post #8682 of 10041
Done!! biggrin.gif
Oh yeah, awesome dual SVS's
Edited by caper_1 - 7/19/12 at 10:49am
post #8683 of 10041
How are the GX50s for nearfield desktop listening? I am looking at those and the Paradigm S1s. The amp will be a Parasound A23.

Thx.
post #8684 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

How are the GX50s for nearfield desktop listening?

I own a set of GX50's. You would want to keep the ribbon tweeter at ear level. Ribbons have a wide horizontal dispersion but limited vertical dispersion. If your ear level is above the tweeters, then you're going to lose a lot of the HF. You could always tilt them up I suppose.

Plus I find I need to be at least 1 metre away from them for them to sound balanced.
post #8685 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylover79 View Post

Hi Monitor Audio fans,
I am in the hunt for good floorstands.
I asked the same question in the Focal thread, but did not get much response, so I am expecting some replies from you guys.
My preferences are Monitor Audio Pl200, Focal 1028 and Salk Ht2TL.
In my country, both the Pl200 and 1028 sells for almost the same price, and the salk Ht2Tl will also cost similarly to import.
Out of these I have only heard the focal and really loved it, but the bass was not that strong with the focal, however the mid and high was very good. For low frequence, I will import the seaton sub Hp or the captivator, so low freq is not a problem.
How good is the Monitor audio Pl200 compared to these speakers? I love the leather baffle finish and the veneer on the monitor audio. The stereophyle website gave 4.5 points for the Monitoraudio PL300 vs 5 points for the focal 1028Be in performance.
And, is the raal and seas excell combo on the salk, that good, is it worth to pay double the price for the salk? some salk fans said it is worth it to import the salk.
For electronics, I may be importing the emo xpa5 and upgrade to xpa2 in the future. Pre-pros are not decided yet.
Expecting feedbacks from people, who have heard these speakers and people with knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylover79 View Post

I wonder why nobody cares to help me with their suggestions and advices.
Maybe you could start a thread on this. I have never heard any of these, but I know Nuance or Zieglej01 most likely have heard two of the three. All good speakers you mentioned however, especially the Salks. I own the Silver RX8's and I can only imagine how good the PL200's must sound, I would love to hear them.. Another speaker you should add to your list are the Philharmonic 2's or 3's. Supposedly a great speaker for the buck.
post #8686 of 10041
monitor audio bx5 or dali ikon mk 5 mk 2?

i ll use with marantz 1603.. which one do i have to choose? i ll use for music and watching tv
post #8687 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Done!! biggrin.gif
Oh yeah, awesome dual SVS's

Thank you!

I do love the combo.
post #8688 of 10041
I am adding more DIY subs to my HT. I have a kit in the garage, but no time during summer to build!! But my 2.1 is staying as-is. Love the tight smooth MA sub sound...
post #8689 of 10041
Hey Guys. Looking at possibly getting a set of MA BX2's for my desktop PC setup. My budget is $450 and its for movies and games only. i already have a amp and 12" sub. These seem to be some of the best at this price point. I pretty much just wanna be convinced these are better then the Ascend 170's.smile.gif Thanks
post #8690 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDeez View Post

Hey Guys. Looking at possibly getting a set of MA BX2's for my desktop PC setup. My budget is $450 and its for movies and games only. i already have a amp and 12" sub. These seem to be some of the best at this price point. I pretty much just wanna be convinced these are better then the Ascend 170's.smile.gif Thanks

1) I never listened to the Ascends. Given the number of speaker manufacturers in the market, chances of finding someone who listened to both of them are low. Try to add a third model (from a third manufacturer), and chances will drop to nearly zero. But I hope you do find someone. wink.gif

2) I love my BX2's in my HT. Of course this comment is useless for you, because your room is different from mine, and your ears are different from mine, etc.. But it may carry some message to you: most people in this thread will like their MA's. Not to discourage you to ask - I'm only telling you to take the answers in the right perspective. People who own the Ascends will very likely praise them as well.

3) Having said all that... maybe I can add something more useful: if your PC is on a desk with limited space, like mine, you'll probably have little room for tweaking in terms of positioning, and then the front port in the BX2 may be an advantage.

My $0.02. rolleyes.gif

VMat
post #8691 of 10041
I appreciate that! Ya I know this is the stompin grounds of MA owners and that the opinions will be biased, but I know enough about MA to know that they are tremendous speakers. I was just hoping someone had heard both lol. But, to your point, the front facing porthole is a big reason I choose these as the desk is up against the wall and it seemed like the best option. Now with that said, I do listen rather loud and a question more appropriate would be are these BX2s capable of handling loud music/games (explosions/dialogue) ? How do they stand up to the BX1? Thanks
post #8692 of 10041
Do some of you think that perhaps having four lines is one too many ? I mean the gold has the ribbon tweeter and is priced much lower, though I have no doubts that the platinum outperforms it ?
post #8693 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post

Do some of you think that perhaps having four lines is one too many ? I mean the gold has the ribbon tweeter and is priced much lower, though I have no doubts that the platinum outperforms it ?

Interesting question, given that Gold and Pt lines have a somewhat similar design. Unfortunately I do not have an opinion, because I could never listen to any platinum speakers. Reason why, there are simply zero 'platinum' dealers available in my area (~3 million people). rolleyes.gif

Even though the platinum line was (is) out of my budget, I'd have liked to have a listen.
post #8694 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaDelGato View Post

Interesting question, given that Gold and Pt lines have a somewhat similar design. Unfortunately I do not have an opinion, because I could never listen to any platinum speakers. Reason why, there are simply zero 'platinum' dealers available in my area (~3 million people). rolleyes.gif
Even though the platinum line was (is) out of my budget, I'd have liked to have a listen.


There is one dealer in the Chicago land area who has the platinum line... I would like to go there as they also carry NAD's masters series..

Oh, you a Blackhawks fan being up there in Vancouver wink.gif .
post #8695 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post

There is one dealer in the Chicago land area who has the platinum line... I would like to go there as they also carry NAD's masters series..
Oh, you a Blackhawks fan being up there in Vancouver wink.gif .

I've been to Saturday Audio Exchange. I listened to the Platinum series PL300 there (along with the Gold GS and Silver RX series) and it was the reason I decided not to buy the Silver RX towers then. I wanted to wait until I heard the Gold GX towers and see how much of the Platinum sound I would get in that series. I wanted to see if it was worth the price increase for the sound quality I gained going from Silver to Gold. The PL300 speaker was amazing. I'm happy to say the GX300 gives me most of the PL300 sound at half the price. (More or less). I don't regret waiting.

I still have some Silver RX1's for my computer setup. That is an amazing speaker, especially at the price.
post #8696 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDeez View Post

I appreciate that! Ya I know this is the stompin grounds of MA owners and that the opinions will be biased, but I know enough about MA to know that they are tremendous speakers. I was just hoping someone had heard both lol. But, to your point, the front facing porthole is a big reason I choose these as the desk is up against the wall and it seemed like the best option. Now with that said, I do listen rather loud and a question more appropriate would be are these BX2s capable of handling loud music/games (explosions/dialogue) ? How do they stand up to the BX1? Thanks

As I said, I have the BX2's in my HT. They handle the front channels, currently in full range, although I have a sub (I'm still playing with that to choose the best settings). The room is small, but I like to crank the volume a bit, and the sound is excellent for my taste. Actually, I have the impression that the BX2's sound better at high volumes - not ear-bleeding, but just loud enough to prevent any conversation in the same room. I feel they lack some bass, and maybe get a little muffled at low volumes. Now, as "loud" is quite subjective, maybe you should better try them before you buy them, or at least buy them with a good return policy. On the other hand, as you already have a sub, I believe you will be fine with them as long as you set the crossover in your soundcard (or audio driver?) at 60~80Hz.

I also have the BX1's, they're my surrounds. I never tried them in the main channels. But I can tell you two things: 1) they have rear ports, and 2) I tried them briefly at the shop where I bought them just to make sure the drivers were OK (I bought them several thousand miles away from home, didn't want to find out I had a defective unit after flying back), so I didn't pay much attention to the amplification, except that I asked them not to add a sub, and boy, the sound was great for such a little speaker. The cherry on the cake was my wife with a confused look on her face: "is all this sound coming from that tiny one?" biggrin.gif

VMat
post #8697 of 10041
I have PL100 and PL300 speakers but have not heard the PL In Wall.

Has anyone heard the PL InWall speakers?

I am wondering how they compare to the PL100 and PL200?
post #8698 of 10041
Hi gang,

I currently drive my RX6's with an Arcam AVR200 at 80 watts per channel. It's part of a HT setup (I also have a RX Center & a pair of ceiling mounted C365FX). They sound great in both 5.1 movie watching and 2 channel vinyl playback...the Arcam outputs more than enough juice to make the RX6 sing in stereo or all 5 speakers in 5.1.

I'm looking at purchasing a vintage tube amp for my vinyl playback. In particular, the Fisher 500C which outputs 35 watts per channel. Thus, two questions:

1) Will the Fisher sufficiently power the RX6s? The census on this board is that Monitor Audio's are power hungry. I'm not all that familiar with speaker sensitivities and how wattage effects driving the speakers, etc etc. I've auditioned the amp with a completely different setup and it seems great, just worried if they can drive my speakers. Does anyone have experience driving RX6s with low wattage tube gear? Whats the general consensus?

2) Although 80% of the speaker usage is for 2 channel vinyl playback, I still require the RX6s for surround sound. I'm not getting rid of the Arcam...it's still a great performer, especially in 5.1. Is there a way to easily switch my L & C speakers between connection to the Fisher and the Arcam? I'm assuming some kind of switch. Are they recommended? Will they affect the single path? Any recommendations? etc etc

Thanks! Looking forward to responses....
post #8699 of 10041
guys need help about platium series..
i have plc 350 center,JL audio 113 f subwoofer and think to complete my set pl 300 front and pl 100 surround..
So my question is gx 100 ,gx 200 or gx 300 can be better pl 100 in surround position...what u think

its worth to pay pl 100 in surround position

i read in whathifi forums everyone advise gxfx for surround in platium set what u think
Edited by barasn - 8/2/12 at 3:42pm
post #8700 of 10041
Quote:
Originally Posted by barasn View Post

guys need help about platium series..
i have plc 350 center,JL audio 113 f subwoofer and think to complete my set pl 300 front and pl 100 surround..
So my question is gx 100 ,gx 200 or gx 300 can be better pl 100 in surround position...what u think
its worth to pay pl 100 in surround position
i read in whathifi forums everyone advise gxfx for surround in platium set what u think

I agree with getting the GXFX's, I only have the RXFX's and believe me, I love'em.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread