or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Monitor Audio Owners Thread - Page 295

post #8821 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post

grymok,
I don't think you will be disappointed with either one of those receivers. On my current project, I was going to use the Yamaha 3020 to power MA speakers. The only issue for me is that the Yamaha had not been released when I decided to purchase and I went with another set-up. I will say to get the 3020 over the 3010 if you intend to use AirPlay. You are not going to have a problem powering the RX8s.
If you get a chance, try listening to them both. I like the warmth and richness of the Yamaha sound.
luca
Probably can try both the 3020 and 3010, if my local store still have one of those 3010, they don't sell them on thier website anymore but i can try.
I DON'T have an Apple product and don't intend to get one, so the airplay is USELESS.
As i can see, the 3020 goes for 2666$ and the 3010 goes for 1733, compare the features the 3020 ain't worth the extra 630$ :S.
post #8822 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I have listened to the Gold GX300, GXC350 & GX50 and I have listened to the Silver RX8, RX6, RX Center and RX1. I also had the chance to listen to some outgoing Gold GS speakers also at the time. If cost is an object go for two pairs of RX6's and an RX Center. It is an amazing speaker system and you won't regret it. I'm not sold on the RX8 over the RX6. The RX6 sounded better to me. Maybe the RX8 wasn't as broken in or it was a room issue but the RX6 blew me away, especially at the price.
The ONLY reason I didn't buy RX towers was I listened to the Platinum PL300's and fell in love with the sound of the speaker and that ribbon tweeter. Upon finding out the Gold GS series which was out at the time was going to be replaced by the Gold GX series with a similar tweeter / midrange setup I decided to wait. Glad I did. Maybe if you don't listen to the Gold GX series you won't feel the urge to buy them that I did.

I agree with Gary's comment 100%. I did the same sampling and could hear the sonic difference between the RX and the GX series, but I didn't understand why the RX6s sounded better to me than the RX8s. Just to be clear, I was part of a blinded comparison between the GX200s and the RX8s. I was immediately struck by the clarity/transparency of the GX series; a fuller soundstage, greater definition from the same source material. Next it was the RX6s to the GX series. I thought they were better. They did not rival the GXs, but they were more composed and better balanced. They seemed warmer and more complete. The best way to describe it is that I thought they were better suited for the tasks they set out to perform, i.e., they may not have had the range of the more expensive speakers, but they excelled in the range they had. Finally, in the direct comparison, I preferred the RX6s to the RX8s. Again, it could have been a whole host of factors why that was the case, but they sounded better to me.

Please note, they are all exceptional speakers. The differences that have been pointed out are only starkly identified when comparing one to another in quick succession. For that reason, I agree with timbre matching too. The ribbon tweeter makes a huge difference to me. If you went with a GX center, I think it would be mismatched and you'd notice it with anything but ribbon tweeters flanking it.
post #8823 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymok View Post

Probably can try both the 3020 and 3010, if my local store still have one of those 3010, they don't sell them on thier website anymore but i can try.
I DON'T have an Apple product and don't intend to get one, so the airplay is USELESS.
As i can see, the 3020 goes for 2666$ and the 3010 goes for 1733, compare the features the 3020 ain't worth the extra 630$ :S.

Where are you? Are you in the US? Those prices seem a bit high to me.

If not AirPlay, then the 3010 is a great choice. I think it has the same functionality (perhaps even more as I think some connectivity was removed in the 3020) and similar power. You will not be disappointed.
post #8824 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post

Where are you? Are you in the US? Those prices seem a bit high to me.
If not AirPlay, then the 3010 is a great choice. I think it has the same functionality (perhaps even more as I think some connectivity was removed in the 3020) and similar power. You will not be disappointed.
I'm from the cold cold north, aka Denmark tongue.gif
I have found a new yamaha 3010 for 1100£ and the 2010 for 740£.
The new model is WAAAAY to overpriced for me :S. Have looked alittle into the Denon 4311 and Denen 4520 smile.gif But havn't looked the prices yet. But found the 4311 used for the same price as the 3010.
post #8825 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post

I agree with Gary's comment 100%. I did the same sampling and could hear the sonic difference between the RX and the GX series, but I didn't understand why the RX6s sounded better to me than the RX8s. Just to be clear, I was part of a blinded comparison between the GX200s and the RX8s. I was immediately struck by the clarity/transparency of the GX series; a fuller soundstage, greater definition from the same source material. Next it was the RX6s to the GX series. I thought they were better. They did not rival the GXs, but they were more composed and better balanced. They seemed warmer and more complete. The best way to describe it is that I thought they were better suited for the tasks they set out to perform, i.e., they may not have had the range of the more expensive speakers, but they excelled in the range they had. Finally, in the direct comparison, I preferred the RX6s to the RX8s. Again, it could have been a whole host of factors why that was the case, but they sounded better to me.
Please note, they are all exceptional speakers. The differences that have been pointed out are only starkly identified when comparing one to another in quick succession. For that reason, I agree with timbre matching too. The ribbon tweeter makes a huge difference to me. If you went with a GX center, I think it would be mismatched and you'd notice it with anything but ribbon tweeters flanking it.

Very good comparison. Now I am getting mixed feelings as to why would the RX6 sound better than the RX8? The RX8 should play louder and provide more midrange/midbass as it has larger drivers and one additional driver as well. I understand that specs. do not always translate to a better sound per se, but theoretically the RX8's should provide a clearer and fuller soundstage. Maybe the Rx8 may sound Boomy with too much bass as some reviers have pointed out, as the drivers not moving quick enough to provide tight punchy bass and midrange as teh RX6 can?
post #8826 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

Looking at the size of your room, getting the RX8's would be a waste of money. Your room is not that large. If it's in your budget, get the GX 100's , GX 150c and GXFX surrounds. If you for some weird reason, don't have enough bass, buy a second sub.
Even if the GX's I recommended is out of the price range, I still wouldn't get the RX8 or RX6's, look into the RX2's, the RX center sounds amazing in larger rooms then yours.
In another post you asked about the GXFX’s, and it seems you maybe under the impression that is uses the tweeter and ribbon at the sametime, it doesn’t. You have a switch to select either mono-pole or di-pole mode, it uses the tweeters for di-pole, while it uses the ribbon when in mono-pole

Thank you for the input. I don't like the looks much of bookshelves, especially when you factor in the cost of stands. I understand the ribbon and gold tweeters in the GXFX not firing at the same time, but when the gold tweeter is firing versus the ribbon from the GXFX, wouldn't that be a mismatch to the left, right, and center speaker ribbon tweeters sonically?This was my whole point to justify if I could use a gold center with the Silver towers, as even Monitor employees the gold and ribbon tweeter for the surrounds? Maybe the surrounds are not such a big factor than matching the three main front speakers?
post #8827 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

Very good comparison. Now I am getting mixed feelings as to why would the RX6 sound better than the RX8? The RX8 should play louder and provide more midrange/midbass as it has larger drivers and one additional driver as well. I understand that specs. do not always translate to a better sound per se, but theoretically the RX8's should provide a clearer and fuller soundstage. Maybe the Rx8 may sound Boomy with too much bass as some reviers have pointed out, as the drivers not moving quick enough to provide tight punchy bass and midrange as teh RX6 can?
My experience between RX8 and RX6 was different. I listened to them (in a blind test, switching back and forth) and felt RX8 sounded more "open". That was the main reason I went with RX8s over the 6s. The audition room was rather large probably 40x30ft.
post #8828 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymok View Post

No one wanna answer, or just no one who has tryed a complete silver setup with any surround recievers?.

I have tried the Silver RX1's and the Gold GX300 / GXC350 with an Onkyo TX-NR709, TX-SR706 & TX-SR705. TX-SR705 was used on the RX1's and then replaced by a TX-NR709 also on the GXC350. TX-SR706 owned by my Dad has seen the GX300's & GXC350 together. TX-NR709 really matched well with Monitor Audio speakers for me.
post #8829 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I have tried the Silver RX1's and the Gold GX300 / GXC350 with an Onkyo TX-NR709, TX-SR706 & TX-SR705. TX-SR705 was used on the RX1's and then replaced by a TX-NR709 also on the GXC350. TX-SR706 owned by my Dad has seen the GX300's & GXC350 together. TX-NR709 really matched well with Monitor Audio speakers for me.
So you didn't find this MA + Onkyo combination too bright?
post #8830 of 10043
I am currently running an Onkyo 876 and RS6, RS5 and RS centre and I find the sound to come across as a very digital sound and not a hifi like sound. I have been advised to run a Yamaha receiver with the monitor Audio's as I am looking to upgrade to RX6's.

Or do I go for the RX8's instead of the RX6's
post #8831 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

So you didn't find this MA + Onkyo combination too bright?

The Onkyo TX-NR709 plus RX1 is great. The TX-SR706 with the Gold GX300/GXC350 was fine. The GX series are now paired with a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 since I have my room back to put it all in. I have not tried the TX-NR709 + full Gold GX combo but I suspect it would sound better than the TX-SR706.
post #8832 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

I am currently running an Onkyo 876 and RS6, RS5 and RS centre and I find the sound to come across as a very digital sound and not a hifi like sound. I have been advised to run a Yamaha receiver with the monitor Audio's as I am looking to upgrade to RX6's.
Or do I go for the RX8's instead of the RX6's

IMHO, to really do justice to the speakers I would suggest a separate 5 channel amp... like Emotiva... I have the onkyo 5009... which is no slouch... but once I upgraded to the Emotiva XPA-5 the sound was in a total different league...... the best value for money upgrade ever..... I went on to get an XPA-1 for the GX-350C centre.... very natural voices indeed... ended up pairing the GX300 with tube amps to bring more warmth to the music .... if it was specifically for HT, I'd probably stack some XPA-1's there, or if I didn't have the room, an XPA-2......

however I can' stress enough.... adding a separate amp, will give your HT a gigantic boost in SQ .... I thought since I always bout the top of the range Receivers, I didn't need a separate amp or that the amp would make little difference.... I was hugely mistaken ....

the XPA-5 now runs my rear speakers (RX8s) and height & presence speakers (Quad Lites) - XPA-1 for GX.350c an Cayin A-88T for the GX300's ..... a lot of boxes, but it sounds great for a music/HT combo... if it was only movies I'd stick with Emotiva Amps... if it was only music Cayin A-88T .... this is the best combo I found for my budget....
Edited by big_marcelo - 10/21/12 at 8:39pm
post #8833 of 10043
^How did you do your listening tests to conclude that the separates were in a "total different league" compared to the Onkyo receiver? Was this differnence apparent at all volume levels or only when cranked to really high levels?
post #8834 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymok View Post

I'm from the cold cold north, aka Denmark tongue.gif
I have found a new yamaha 3010 for 1100£ and the 2010 for 740£.
The new model is WAAAAY to overpriced for me :S. Have looked alittle into the Denon 4311 and Denen 4520 smile.gif But havn't looked the prices yet. But found the 4311 used for the same price as the 3010.

Greetings! Cold cold North seems like a lovely place. I've been to København on vacations earlier this year, and had a great time. By the way, the guys from Hi-Fi Klubben at Aaboulevard were very nice (I talked to Brian G.).

I'm wondering why you picked Monitor Audio. There are quite a few Danish brands which make excellent speakers, right?

VMat
post #8835 of 10043
hello folks.

I've recently invested in Onkyo 818 (upgrading from the 608) and now it's time to upgrade my speakers.
I've been considering RX6 + RXC + RXFX + RXW-12, but I'm not sure how they pair with the 818.

Any thoughts about that? I tend to prefer "warm" sound and powerful (but not "muddy") bass.

Perhaps the RX8 is a better match than RX6?

I have a medium size listening room and it's 50/50 music/movies.
I've also considered the new Dali Ikon 7 MK2 + Ikon Vokal MK2 + Ikon On-Wall MK2 + Ikon Sub MK2
and possibly the B&W CM8 + Center 2 + CS3 + ASW 10CM (which is more expencive and probably above my budget).

Any of you have any experience/thoughts/comments?
There isn't any dealers with decent listeningroom around here....
Edited by AVRams - 10/26/12 at 1:22pm
post #8836 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

hello folks.
I've recently invested in Onkyo 818 (upgrading from the 608) and now it's time to upgrade my speakers.
I've been considering RX6 + RXC + RXFX + RXW-12, but I'm not sure how they pair with the 818.
Any thoughts about that? I tend to prefer "warm" sound and powerful (but not "muddy") bass.
Perhaps the RX8 is a better match than RX6?
I have a medium size listening room and it's 50/50 music/movies.
I've also considered the new Dali Ikon 7 MK2 + Ikon Vokal MK2 + Ikon On-Wall MK2 + Ikon Sub MK2
and possibly the B&W CM8 + Center 2 + CS3 + ASW 10CM (which is more expencive and probably above my budget).
Any of you have any experience/thoughts/comments?
There isn't any dealers with decent listeningroom around here....

I really like the new audio quality of the recent Onkyos and Monitor Audio, which I appreciate the combo in that particular price range. Personally I would skip over the RXW12 subwoofer from Monitor Audio.
Stick to the RX6, and that doesn’t mean anything is wrong with the RX8, since it will be a 50/50 setup, the RX6’s and sub will be great for movies, and the RX6’s really hold their own for 2channel music.
In the subwoofer dept, look into HSU and/or SVS, with SVS being my favorite.
post #8837 of 10043
On
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post

I really like the new audio quality of the recent Onkyos and Monitor Audio, which I appreciate the combo in that particular price range. Personally I would skip over the RXW12 subwoofer from Monitor Audio.
Stick to the RX6, and that doesn’t mean anything is wrong with the RX8, since it will be a 50/50 setup, the RX6’s and sub will be great for movies, and the RX6’s really hold their own for 2channel music.
In the subwoofer dept, look into HSU and/or SVS, with SVS being my favorite.

Ok, I'm considering the new SVS SB13 Ultra together with the MA RX setup.
Should be ok with the RX6, don't you think?
Wish I had the possibility to listen to it first... smile.gif
post #8838 of 10043
Currently using Pioneer Elite SC-61 (4 ohm) AVR and GX50's..

Sounds Excellent!!!! Plays VERY CRISP at extremely high levels.
post #8839 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRams View Post

On
Ok, I'm considering the new SVS SB13 Ultra together with the MA RX setup.
Should be ok with the RX6, don't you think?
Wish I had the possibility to listen to it first... smile.gif
I am running RX8's with dual Powersound Audio XV-30's (Dual 15" Subs) and it sounds great. The 6's are basically the same speaker, I cannot imagine why a SVS would not blend with this set up.
post #8840 of 10043
As an update to all, I went to a MA dealer to audition some of the RX and GX speakers. They did not have an optimal set-up though, but I got a good taste for the sound. They had both the GX 300 and 200 towers. I listened to the 300, and fell in love All they had was the old GS center though with no ribbon tweeter and the RX center with Bronze surrounds. The GX 300 sounded superb. My only desire on the wish list would be that it had one additional 6 ½ inch driver for a little added midrange/mid-bass. I did not bother with the GX 200, as it looked too small and I honestly do not want that small of a size woofer. As a comparison, the RX8 sounded muffled, as if someone had covered up the tweeter with their hands, when compared to the Ribbon tweeter in the Gold Series. The Silver Center sounded more hollow when compared to the old Gold GS series larger speaker. They did not have matching center for the GX or surround sound for the GX or RX. I think that I may go with the GX 300 and GX 350 Center.

I did a little more research on the GXFX, and have some questions. On the monopole mode, only the 6 ½ inch driver and ribbon tweeter are firing, correct? If so, this is more like a direct firing mode sound, like a bookshelf speaker, correct? Like the type of sound from the GX 100? In order to get the surround diffuse effect, one would have to switch to the dipole setting, but in doing so, the ribbon tweeter is shut off, and only the NON-ribbon tweeters with all woofers are firing, correct? Are the other tweeters on the side baffles the same as the RX Gold tweeters? When in dipole mode, the Gold tweeters will not match the ribbon tweeters from the front stage? How come there is no bipole switch? My main question, is why all of the tweeters in the GX surround ribbon? Was this to keep the cost down? In order for me to really reap the benefit of the GXFX, I would only be able to use it in the monopole direct firing mode for the high end to match the other ribbon tweeters in the front stage? If the GXFX is set on dipole, will it not virtually sound almost identical to the RXFX, but with a little more midrange, due to the additional drivers, but the higher end will sound the same due to the same Gold tweeter in dipole mode?
post #8841 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb2001 View Post

I am a lurker and follow the threads here at avs alot. I recently purchased the GX300s, GXC350, GXFX. I have to say that they sound better and better the more hrs I put on them. I am currently running them with my 4311 until my Bryston 4bsst and 5bst arrive. They are very detailed and transperant as you stated. They did have a little sparkle on the upper regions at first but that has tamed some in the last few days. I think they do take time to settle into their final signature. Just a little picture for you guys. Excuse the pic as my system is not complete just yet. Once my amps and 2 channel preamp with HTBP arrive, it will be complete./

I want to run your same exact set-up with the Denon 4311. Please let us know if you noticed a large difference with the separate amplifier. Thanks.
post #8842 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictaudio View Post

As a comparison, the RX8 sounded muffled, as if someone had covered up the tweeter with their hands, when compared to the Ribbon tweeter in the Gold Series.

Wow, I've never heard anyone use the term "muffled" wrt the treble in the RX speaker. Generally if people have an objection to the RX top end it is that they can be a bit bright. Am I to understand, then, that the GX is "brighter still?" Or perhaps you are referring to a closed-in sound versus an open sound, and not so much the relative level of the highs?

Not that it matters in my case, because the GX are not even close to being in the cards . . .
post #8843 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

Wow, I've never heard anyone use the term "muffled" wrt the treble in the RX speaker. Generally if people have an objection to the RX top end it is that they can be a bit bright. Am I to understand, then, that the GX is "brighter still?" Or perhaps you are referring to a closed-in sound versus an open sound, and not so much the relative level of the highs?
Not that it matters in my case, because the GX are not even close to being in the cards . . .

Yes, when going from the GX300 to the RX8, the high end on the RX8 sounded somewhat "muffled" in comparison, as if someone had covered up the tweeter with their hands or a piece of cloth. The ribbon in the GX300 was so much clearer, louder if you may, and yes to my liking brighter, but not harsh; just with a lot wider soundstage. We did have to turn the volume down though with the RX8, as the massage parlor next door complained of the noise:) Both speakers were only being powered by a Marantz 100 watt receiver.
post #8844 of 10043
Picked up my RX6's and RX Center over the weekend. Really enjoying these so far. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR515.

8162041354_473d380d62_z.jpg
Edited by lmyamen - 11/6/12 at 12:18pm
post #8845 of 10043
matazyzu.jpg

Nice, we have the same setup. I finally got my RX centre...all walnut. Sounds fantastic.
post #8846 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

matazyzu.jpg
Nice, we have the same setup. I finally got my RX centre...all walnut. Sounds fantastic.
Looking good, but you might want to bring your center channel up as far as you can. Some say it is best to have all the tweeters aligned for a better front sound stage. I have the same problem as you that I can only go so far because the TV is in the way.
post #8847 of 10043
Yeah, I realize its not placed optimally, but that's the only place I have for it. I actually had to remove my CD changer from my setup to accommodate it. I was actually going to go without a center but I got such a good on it I couldn't pass it up.
post #8848 of 10043
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Yeah, I realize its not placed optimally, but that's the only place I have for it. I actually had to remove my CD changer from my setup to accommodate it. I was actually going to go without a center but I got such a good on it I couldn't pass it up.
My center channel is placed similarly, height-wise, but I have tilted it up a bit by placing couple of felt pads on the front side.
post #8849 of 10043
V
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKs_ View Post

My center channel is placed similarly, height-wise, but I have tilted it up a bit by placing couple of felt pads on the front side.

It looks like you might have room to try my solution. I have 2 rubber door stops that angle up the center speaker about 30 degrees and will not damage the speaker. It's a cheap option even to try, and works well here.
post #8850 of 10043
Recently added the 60ST50 Panasonic, love it too!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Monitor Audio Owners Thread