Originally Posted by Martycool007
Wow that sounds like a bad a** setup you have with the La Scala's. I am a bit confused though and was hoping you could clear this up....Are you using the M&K MX-150 subwoofer, as in the complete subwoofer, ie box and everything? Or are you using the MX--150 drivers in the La Scala bass bin and using an active crossover system to make it jive with the mids and tweets? Can you post a link to your post in reference to the drivers that you used?
The MX-150 is used as a sub to complement LaScala below 50Hz (I replaced the drivers with Electro Mavin [http://www.mavin.com/store.php/products/12-woofer-8-ohms-drop-in-replacement-for-mandk-miller-and-kreisel-subs
] as the surrounds were starting to tear and put in a 500 watt O-Audio amp [www.oaudio.com
] to give it more omph and tighten the bass). The modified MX-150 has a very tight bass, which blends very well with the bass bin
Behringer handles the active crossover, splitting the signal between the sub, bass bin and top bin (crossover from mid to tweeter is handled by Crites crossover).
I am definitely using the bass bin and it is with the original driver.
The mid is also using the original driver and k-400 horn (by separating the top from the bass bin and using acoustic tape between the bass bin and top, I reduce the vibrations being passed to the k-400 horn.
With my set-up, I am not perceiving honkines in the k-400 that some people mention.
I replaced the tweeter with Crites tweeter to get better top end extention.
However, instead of Crited horn, I am using Faital Pro STH100 Traxtric horn for more even dispersion (that is why I had to make the top taller. The motor board is removable so that I can change to different horns in the future if I desire).
The bass bin is driven by Denon POA-5000 and top by Yaqin MC-100 tube amp.
I am extermely pleased with the sound.
Even though it took me a while to do the LaScala rebuild (as I had zero woodworking experience - just need time and patience to measure and cut accurately), I would not hesitate to do this project again (see post 18810). I am very satisfied with how the speakers turned out both cosmetically and acoustically.
Hope this helps and inspires other to try a used LaScala rebuild.
Results are definitely worth it.