or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 715

post #21421 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcrest6 View Post

Hey guys, hoping for some suggestions in my speaker upgrade quest.

My current setup:
Fronts: RF-5
Rears: RF-3
Center: RC-7
SW: RSW-12D

My upgrade list so far:
Fronts: RF-7 II
Center: RC-64 II

My questioning comes in with the rears and sw upgrades. Can I get away with using my RF-5s for my rear upgrades or will they not mesh with the RF-7 II? Or should I really go with RS-62 II or RF-82 II (same price)? Would the RF-82 II be placed in the rear or on the sides?

Your best upgrade would be find a pair of Used RF-7s for up front and move your RF-5s as surrounds. I am not sure how the RF-7IIs play with the RC-7 but that would be also something to consider. Fwiw, I use RF-3 towers as side surrounds with RF-7/RC-7 up front and prefer towers in that position than the WDST models.

I am not sure which sub you have (no such thing as a "RSW-12d" but fwiw, both the the RSW-12 or the RT-12d are both pretty solid subs but if it's the RW-12d you may want to upgrade.
Edited by Zen Traveler - 2/23/13 at 3:00pm
post #21422 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post


Thank, I think it looks good. I have posted this pic before, but what the heck:




As you can see, it's close to a corner where we walk by to get into the HT room. If it weren't inset, it would be in the way.

The inset La Scala center (shown earlier) is cool, making a very large speaker disappear to nothing. The large box it sits in is lost to a closet, so no big deal.

 

What you have done with that Heresy is pretty cool looking, as I assume the "disappearing" La Scala is.

 

With the pics, now I can really see how KPTs could work and look exceptionally nice in your HT. 

 

thanks for the pics!

post #21423 of 35176
Need advise on whether to stay with Klipsch or choose something else. I currently have a pair of KB-15, I love the highs and the crispness, love the horn. But, what I'm missing is the midrange, it's not horrible, but not great either. My original plan was to get the icons for the fronts at first and then save up for the reference line and move the icons to the rear.
So, I guess my question is will the reference line have better midrange than the icons. I plan on getting rc52 and rb51 for front sound stage.
post #21424 of 35176
My parents have a set of SF-3 speakers and SS-3 surrounds, both of which are discontinued. They did not get a matching center channel when they bought it, because they had a Yamaha center channel. However, this center channel is underpowered and not a great match for these speakers. What would be a better match from the current Klipsch catalog?

TIA!

Edit: Links of their speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/sf-3-floorstanding-speaker

http://www.klipsch.com/ss-3-surround-speaker
post #21425 of 35176
The SC-3 was the match for the SF-3, I believe. If you hunt around a bit, they can still be had.
post #21426 of 35176
Hi everyone

My current system
Fronts: RF-52
Centre: RC-62
Rears: RS-42
Energy S10.3 Subwoofer
Pioneer VSX LX53 THX Receiver
Room Size 13 square metres

I'm tossed between two Receivers the Anthem MRX 300 or Marant SR6007 as my next upgrade. Both receive high recommemdations.

Please advice
Edited by bazo - 2/23/13 at 5:52pm
post #21427 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet763 View Post

The SC-3 was the match for the SF-3, I believe. If you hunt around a bit, they can still be had.

In the event I can't find one...
post #21428 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

TVMan, where did you have the mic during calibration?

I put it in the red recliner, tan recliner, open space at right of red recliner, and then 3 spots right in from of these and then two others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I would borrow/buy a tripod and run Audyssey again. Also make sure you run all EQ positions available. Fwiw, I think you have enough room behind your speakers but may want to pull them forward so they clear the front of the entertainment center. Insofar as an SPL meter is concerned, those are handy but if Audyssey was done correctly it shouldn't be needed. Also, what is the trim level on your Sub?


I got a tripod to try this weekend, so we will see.

Thanks Again!
post #21429 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

TVMan, where did you have the mic during calibration?

I put it in the red recliner, tan recliner, open space at right of red recliner, and then 3 spots right in from of these and then two others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I would borrow/buy a tripod and run Audyssey again. Also make sure you run all EQ positions available. Fwiw, I think you have enough room behind your speakers but may want to pull them forward so they clear the front of the entertainment center. Insofar as an SPL meter is concerned, those are handy but if Audyssey was done correctly it shouldn't be needed. Also, what is the trim level on your Sub?


I got a tripod to try this weekend, so we will see.

Thanks Again!
post #21430 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414 View Post

I put it in the red recliner, tan recliner, open space at right of red recliner, and then 3 spots right in from of these and then two others.
I got a tripod to try this weekend, so we will see.

Thanks Again!

I'd suggest putting it on your new tripod and place it on or angle it over the back (facing forward) of the red recliner. Take the first measurement here, move mic a few inches left or right for second measurement, and move again just slightly for the third. After the third, there really is no reason or benefit to move the Mic after the first few measurements.
post #21431 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post

I'd suggest putting it on your new tripod and place it on or angle it over the back (facing forward) of the red recliner. Take the first measurement here, move mic a few inches left or right for second measurement, and move again just slightly for the third. After the third, there really is no reason or benefit to move the Mic after the first few measurements.

Your recommendation is different than what Audyssey recommends. They recommend the mic to be face up and after the first reading (2nd if you count the chirps that set distance) be moved a foot or two from the MLP to the right and then the left as well as in front a foot or two in a couple of positions. They also recommend using all of the setup chirps available.
post #21432 of 35176
Klipsch fans,

What is the reputation of the RB-3 bookshelf speaker? I can pick up a used pair for $100 locally and want to know what you know. There do not seem to be many on-line reviews.

http://www.klipsch.com/rb-3-bookshelf-speaker

Thanks,
Dave

~~~
post #21433 of 35176
For $100 and I had a use for them, I'd buy them and not worry about any reputation, good or bad. But that's just me! smile.gif
post #21434 of 35176
My friend bought rf 7 set when we use onkyo Audyssey onkyo set Rf 7 40 hz ,Rc 64 40 hz and rs 62 50 hz ..

My question is if we use Rf 7,rc 64 and rs 62 full range any problem or can u advise me any setting about them
post #21435 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by barasn View Post

My friend bought rf 7 set when we use onkyo Audyssey onkyo set Rf 7 40 hz ,Rc 64 40 hz and rs 62 50 hz ..

My question is if we use Rf 7,rc 64 and rs 62 full range any problem or can u advise me any setting about them

I would raise the crossover to either 60 or 80 Hz and not run them as Full Range. EDIT:you may even want to keep the RF-7s at 60 Hz and raise the others to 80 Hz snd send anything under that to the sub.
post #21436 of 35176
OK, understood. But apparently few people bought the RB-3's. I am wondering if there is a reason for that. Respectfully, I don't have $100 to toss away if there is an issue with this model speaker.

~~~
post #21437 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4fun View Post

OK, understood. But apparently few people bought the RB-3's. I am wondering if there is a reason for that. Respectfully, I don't have $100 to toss away if there is an issue with this model speaker.
They were only manufactured for 3 years, so that explains limited sales. I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. Maybe ask if you can hear them first? The description says that they come in Cherry, Maple, or Black wood veneer. Try to find any new speaker below $500 to maybe $1000 with real wood veneer. It doesn't translate to cheaply made speaker to me anyway.

But... I have never heard them. Anyone else?
post #21438 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by barasn View Post

My friend bought rf 7 set when we use onkyo Audyssey onkyo set Rf 7 40 hz ,Rc 64 40 hz and rs 62 50 hz ..

My question is if we use Rf 7,rc 64 and rs 62 full range any problem or can u advise me any setting about them

 

No problem . . . Crossover is simply where the speaker stops sending low hz setting over to your sub to do the work.  Most people set all speakers to small and crossover at 80hz, especially with a great sub.

 

The RF7s are beasts.  Some people with such powerful fronts put the fronts on full and cross at the lowest points the fronts can handle.  I do that with my K-horns some.  Only problem may then be too much conflicting bass.

 

in the end, you always tweak settings to your own liking.

 

others with RF7s will have even better advice.

post #21439 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Your recommendation is different than what Audyssey recommends. They recommend the mic to be face up and after the first reading (2nd if you count the chirps that set distance) be moved a foot or two from the MLP to the right and then the left as well as in front a foot or two in a couple of positions. They also recommend using all of the setup chirps available.

I never said the Mic shouldn't be face up. I also didn't say not to cycle through all measurements.
post #21440 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

They were only manufactured for 3 years, so that explains limited sales. I don't recall hearing anything bad about them. Maybe ask if you can hear them first? The description says that they come in Cherry, Maple, or Black wood veneer. Try to find any new speaker below $500 to maybe $1000 with real wood veneer. It doesn't translate to cheaply made speaker to me anyway.

But... I have never heard them. Anyone else?

Thanks. Good points.

-Dave
post #21441 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasta346 View Post

In the event I can't find one...

The current Synergy line has the C-10 and C-20, but I think the older SC-3 is your best match. I located three in a google search, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.
post #21442 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4fun View Post

Klipsch fans,

What is the reputation of the RB-3 bookshelf speaker? I can pick up a used pair for $100 locally and want to know what you know. There do not seem to be many on-line reviews.

http://www.klipsch.com/rb-3-bookshelf-speaker

Thanks,
Dave

~~~

 

+1 on psgcdn's advice . . . I would find some use for them at that price . . . 

post #21443 of 35176
Rf-3's for sale locally would they be worth getting and upgrading over my rf-62's? They are older... Even the cermerallic color looks different!

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3635010793.html
post #21444 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post

Rf-3's for sale locally would they be worth getting and upgrading over my rf-62's? They are older... Even the cermerallic color looks different!

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3635010793.html

 

Pretty close to a lateral move for you, except the RF-3s are older.  And, you know your 62s . . . If yours are working great, not something I would consider.  If it were me, I would save the $400 for something else . . . 

post #21445 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I would borrow/buy a tripod and run Audyssey again. Also make sure you run all EQ positions available. Fwiw, I think you have enough room behind your speakers but may want to pull them forward so they clear the front of the entertainment center. Insofar as an SPL meter is concerned, those are handy but if Audyssey was done correctly it shouldn't be needed. Also, what is the trim level on your Sub?

I am not sure what is meant by trim level? Are you speaking of the volume on the actual sub? Before running Audyssey, I had it set at 0 db.
post #21446 of 35176
Hey guys quick set up question. I ask because it"s a Klipsch speaker. I am having an issue with my center being a little too bassy. Over on the audio set up forum it was mentioned that speakers in enclosures will do that a lot. Mine happens to be in an enclosure. I have a C-2 Synergy. When I had my old box tv it sat on top of it and it sounded great. Is this speaker supposed to be placed on top of the tv? It would explain my struggles as of late. I have an LCD on the same stand where the center is. The LCD makes it difficult to put the speaker on the tv. Should I place it on the wall above? i've read that if it's not meant to be placed there it will do the same. Any suggestions? Thanks.
post #21447 of 35176
What's the crossover set at for the center? I know of a lot of people who have raised their center's crossover to 100 or 120Hz to eliminate what you're describing.
post #21448 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssoto0055 View Post

Hey guys quick set up question. I ask because it"s a Klipsch speaker. I am having an issue with my center being a little too bassy. Over on the audio set up forum it was mentioned that speakers in enclosures will do that a lot. Mine happens to be in an enclosure. I have a C-2 Synergy. When I had my old box tv it sat on top of it and it sounded great. Is this speaker supposed to be placed on top of the tv? It would explain my struggles as of late. I have an LCD on the same stand where the center is. The LCD makes it difficult to put the speaker on the tv. Should I place it on the wall above? i've read that if it's not meant to be placed there it will do the same. Any suggestions? Thanks.
The center speaker should be at ear level for best dialogue. I had my center below in my entertainment stand and it sounded ok but after I bought a TV riser and brought the center up the sound was 100% better. Heres the link at Amazon for the TV riser
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00026CB4K/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true
post #21449 of 35176
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMan1414 View Post

I am not sure what is meant by trim level? Are you speaking of the volume on the actual sub? Before running Audyssey, I had it set at 0 db.

You listed what the level of the other speakers but you dind't say what the Subwoofer was set at between (-12 to +12)
post #21450 of 35176
hello, this is my first post

I have a klipsch 5.1 surround system and mix of synergy (F30 for LR) and reference (RF 52) for center and Icon (KB-15) for SR/SL

I'm planning to replace my LR with RF-52 and rear speakers with RS-52

My living room is 18x12x12 and my couch is 3 feet from the back wall (rear speakers)

Question 1 : Do I get any better with matching LCR
Question 2 : Does it make sense to replace the bookshelf rear speakers with RS-52 line

thx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread