or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 738

post #22111 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post

My first post, I figured a Klipsch thread is a good place to start. I ran across a deal on a pair of P38. I power them through a 5 year old Yamaha RX-V663 7 channel. I also have a pair of Polk RM7400T as the surround speakers and a Polk sub. I would like to update mainly the power source.

I have cruised around this site a little, I like it. I'm sure I'll find answers to my questions here.

Congratulations on those P38s but spec-wise, as well as technology it seems like they are totally mismatched. The P-38s are 4 Ohm speakers with a 300-1200 watt power handling, compared to the RM-7400Ts which are 8 Ohm and Polk recommends 20 to 170 watt power. The Klipsch are 98 dB Sensitivity whereas the polks are 89 dB which is also a pretty wide gap...Then you get to the fact that the Klipsch use horn technology for the tweeter and upper-end and the polks use dome tweeters which provide a different type sound. My 2 cents
post #22112 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Many people think that Bic speakers have a similar sound to Klipsch speakers. They are good quality, made in America and cost less.

Then I suggest "many people" should go the the British Industry Corporation of America website and look at the fine print and then ask themselves the question, who is doing the evaluating and do they actually think these speakers are being made in America? http://www.bicamerica.com/about.php

Btw, their slogan is "“Certified Best Value Performance” which makes me ask, certified by who? Fwiw, I have not heard any speakers by this company.

I have no idea how they compare to the lower end Klipsch models but their marketing and design seems...

EDIT NOTE: I provided a link whose contents changed after I posted it. confused.gif
Edited by Zen Traveler - 4/29/13 at 7:23am
post #22113 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Then I suggest "many people" should go the the British Industry Corporation of America website and look at the fine print and then ask themselves the question, who is doing the evaluating and do they actually think these speakers are being made in America? http://www.bicamerica.com/about.php

Btw, their slogan is "“Certified Best Value Performance” which makes me ask, certified by who? Fwiw, I have not heard any speakers by this company.

I have no idea how they compare to the lower end Klipsch models but their marketing and design seems...

EDIT NOTE: I provided a link whose contents changed after I posted it. confused.gif
I didnt know what BIC stood for. Good to know.
I have all Klipsch speakers except a BIC sub and center and they blend well. I would consider them a very good value.
post #22114 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Congratulations on those P38s but spec-wise, as well as technology it seems like they are totally mismatched. The P-38s are 4 Ohm speakers with a 300-1200 watt power handling, compared to the RM-7400Ts which are 8 Ohm and Polk recommends 20 to 170 watt power. The Klipsch are 98 dB Sensitivity whereas the polks are 89 dB which is also a pretty wide gap...Then you get to the fact that the Klipsch use horn technology for the tweeter and upper-end and the polks use dome tweeters which provide a different type sound. My 2 cents

Yes, you're correct. They're currently in a 22'x18' living room, and 95 watts is enough. Watching movies it sounds good, but when I listen to my music, I only use the P38s. When my BIL checked out these Klipsch speakers, he brought along a couple cds, and laughed when I turned off all the Polks! Sounds so much better without them.
post #22115 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah , those are some great speakers

What type surrounds would go with that set? Could I use new versions or would I need to find older matching ones.
post #22116 of 35259
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I really like the idea of two subs. It is really open down there.
post #22117 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

Wondering if anyone has heard a set of old klipsch RF-3 II towed and center?

Those are nice speakers and comparable to the RF-82IIs in the current line. Insofar as surrounds go, any of the RS or RB speakers would work (depending on setup) from any Klipsch Reference generation, imo.

Fwiw, I use RF-3s as side surrounds with my RF-7s up front.
post #22118 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post

Yes, you're correct. They're currently in a 22'x18' living room, and 95 watts is enough...

If you aren't experiencing any clipping then you may be okay, but I don't think your Yammi is certified to drive 4 Ohm speakers in a multi-speaker configuration, so be careful.
post #22119 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Those are nice speakers and comparable to the RF-82IIs in the current line. Insofar as surrounds go, any of the RS or RB speakers would work (depending on setup) from any Klipsch Reference generation, imo.

Fwiw, I use RF-3s as side surrounds with my RF-7s up front.

That must be a pretty nice setup, wish the rf-7's were in my price range. How much do you think the Rf-3 towers and a matching center is worth? or do you think I would be better off buying the new versions of the speakers?
post #22120 of 35259
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-klipsch-rf-3-floorstanding-speakers-2013-04-23-speakers-canada

in Canada, so just a price ref, unless...
post #22121 of 35259
Thanks that give me a good idea. I found 4 towers and a center with a sub for 750. I bet I could offer 500 for just the speakers. That would be a decent HT I bet.
post #22122 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

That must be a pretty nice setup, wish the rf-7's were in my price range. How much do you think the Rf-3 towers and a matching center is worth? or do you think I would be better off buying the new versions of the speakers?

I think going from the RF-3/RC-3 to the RF-82/RC-62 would be a lateral move...That said, the former has been discontinued for 10 years so it would depend on their condition, imo.
post #22123 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

yep, scored a pair of kg3, Walnut, today... cool.gif
Pix or it Never Happened ! ! !

rolleyes.gif

Posted a few taken with my iPhone in Direct view gallery
post #22124 of 35259
Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions for the RF62ii with center channel for a 20x19 room which opens to the kitchen.

how would these compare to the polk rtia series?

Receiver will be pioneer sc1522 k.
post #22125 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions for the RF62ii with center channel for a 20x19 room which opens to the kitchen.

how would these compare to the polk rtia series?

Receiver will be pioneer sc1522 k.
IMO I would get the Klipsch over the Polkys. Then again your asking a question like this in a Klipsch owner thread lol. I would bet most of your answers will veer towards the Klipsch rolleyes.gif
post #22126 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions for the RF62ii with center channel for a 20x19 room which opens to the kitchen.

how would these compare to the polk rtia series?

Receiver will be pioneer sc1522 k.
Theyre both great speakers but I cant tell you which one sounds better to you. Your best bet would be to listen to them both if you can.
post #22127 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Theyre both great speakers but I cant tell you which one sounds better to you. Your best bet would be to listen to them both if you can.

I am confused because both speakers are not in the same store. well they are but different set ups.

First store -
Polk TSI300
Klipsch K series

Polk sounded crisp and coming to you.


Second store -

Klipsch - RF62ii and RF82ii

Both sounded good, no polks to compare

how would either of them sound with the pioneer sc1522 k receiver. Does a receiver make any difference as to how the speakers may sound.

Any other speakers that sound like Klipsch?
post #22128 of 35259
The receiver will make no difference in sound directly but the type of room correction software can.
BIC speakers have a similar sound to Klipsch.
Generally Klipsch would be considered a "bright" sounding speaker and Polk as "warm".
post #22129 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

I am confused because both speakers are not in the same store. well they are but different set ups.

...how would either of them sound with the pioneer sc1522 k receiver. Does a receiver make any difference as to how the speakers may sound.

The Klipsch RF-82IIs have a 98 dB Sensitivity compared to the polks 90 dB rating so the Klipsch will play considerably louder with that AVR...As mentioned the Polks will also have a warmer sound and the Klipsch will be crisper. Insofar as comparing HT speakers in different stores (or even the same one) there are way to many variables unless you know what you are doing and looking for--Everything from it being set up wrong to salesman manipulating the settings...If you could compare both speakers in the same setup it would be important to level-match them at the volume you want to listen because with a 8 dB variance the Klipsch will be alot louder if the Main Volume is left where it's at.
post #22130 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Generally Klipsch would be considered a "crystal clear" sounding speaker and Polk as "muddy".

fixed...
post #22131 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

fixed...
Not trying to be an ass or anything but I would prefer that you not edit my posts. Particularly when you give them a different meaning. Thanks.
post #22132 of 35259
Not to get in the middle of y'alls discussion but "bright" is usually used as a pejorative term for Klipsch speakers (as well as reverberant rooms) and I like to use the word "crisp" or "clear. "Warm" otoh, is good description when talking about dome speakers and is what folks who appreciate that sound call it. Of course you can do whatever you want. smile.gif
post #22133 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Not to get in the middle of y'alls discussion but "bright" is usually used as a pejorative term for Klipsch speakers (as well as reverberant rooms) and I like to use the word "crisp" or "clear. "Warm" otoh, is good description when talking about dome speakers and is what folks who appreciate that sound call it. Of course you can do whatever you want. smile.gif
I have no problems if he just didnt like my choice of terms. He could have just done what you just did. Post a response. My problem is with someone editing my posts and making it look like my words. I think we all can agree that that is not proper. People dont like words being put in their mouth. I get in enough trouble over my own words. I dont need to be responsible for someone elses too.
And I didnt mean "bright" as anything bad. I have heard many people refer to Kilpsch speakers as bright.
post #22134 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

The Klipsch RF-82IIs have a 98 dB Sensitivity compared to the polks 90 dB rating so the Klipsch will play considerably louder with that AVR...As mentioned the Polks will also have a warmer sound and the Klipsch will be crisper. Insofar as comparing HT speakers in different stores (or even the same one) there are way to many variables unless you know what you are doing and looking for--Everything from it being set up wrong to salesman manipulating the settings...If you could compare both speakers in the same setup it would be important to level-match them at the volume you want to listen because with a 8 dB variance the Klipsch will be alot louder if the Main Volume is left where it's at.

98 dB sensitivity is b.s.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464265/looking-to-buy-some-high-sensitivity-bookshelf-speakers#post_23102508
post #22135 of 35259
So do you guys think the Rf62ii for $700 a pair is a good deal?

The comparative polks RTIA7 would have to be refurb and would still cost me $100 more.

So cost wise I think the klipsch is a better deal than the polk.

or I could go cheap and get the Polk 75t or the infinity P363.

The biggest issue is that there is no local dealer close by where I can go and listen to different speakers. I just have to go with review and what owners of the brand think.
post #22136 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post

So do you guys think the Rf62ii for $700 a pair is a good deal?

The comparative polks RTIA7 would have to be refurb and would still cost me $100 more.

So cost wise I think the klipsch is a better deal than the polk.

or I could go cheap and get the Polk 75t or the infinity P363.

The biggest issue is that there is no local dealer close by where I can go and listen to different speakers. I just have to go with review and what owners of the brand think.
The RF62ii for 700 is a good deal IMO. The MSRP on them is 1000.
post #22137 of 35259
How would the Rf62ii compare to Paradigm Monitor 7. I called a local store inquiring for the Klipsch but the guy told me to come demo the Paradigm as it would be in the same price point and sound similar to Klipsch ( crisp, bright) etc.
post #22138 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I didnt know what BIC stood for. Good to know.


I have all Klipsch speakers except a BIC sub and center and they blend well. I would consider them a very good value.

What i can tell people about BIC america is what i have read in the past- bic america was a British company at one point, then sold to a chinese company about 15 years ago and then bought or aquired by an american company. I do believe the speakers are still made in usa but the components are from overseas or vice versa.

Now what i can tell you is i have 2 Bic America fh65b and they are incredible speakers. I used to have a klipsch synergy b-2 system 7.1 ss. House was broken into and went with polk, which sucked... Then tried the Bics and they are the best value for the money. I honestly like them better that my synergy B-2 a few years ago. I cant say they are as good as the reference series but they are just as good if not better than the synergy series.

Obviously this is my opinion otherwise this would just be a fact
post #22139 of 35259
I finally ordered my Klipsch speakers today. I have been debating for months on what to get.... but I needed to decide since I am hoping carpet goes down this week in my home theater. The amazingly long build is about over.

I called Mike Garrett at AV Science and he hooked me up (actually he called me).

I already own:

RW-12d - purchased this a while back (prob 2 months ago).

Denon 1913 - got this a couple of months ago too... still sitting in the box waiting to be used.

New additions to the family are:

RF-52-II x2
RC-52-II x1
RS-42-II x2

My room is wired for 6.1 (I did the low voltage wiring)... I don't think 7.1 would work well in my room.

At this point, I think 5.1 will keep me happy (that is all that matters right?) and sound great .

I do hope my component combination will sound good together!

BD
post #22140 of 35259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunn13 View Post

I finally ordered my Klipsch speakers today. I have been debating for months on what to get.... but I needed to decide since I am hoping carpet goes down this week in my home theater. The amazingly long build is about over.

I called Mike Garrett at AV Science and he hooked me up (actually he called me).

I already own:

RW-12d - purchased this a while back (prob 2 months ago).

Denon 1913 - got this a couple of months ago too... still sitting in the box waiting to be used.

New additions to the family are:

RF-52-II x2
RC-52-II x1
RS-42-II x2

My room is wired for 6.1 (I did the low voltage wiring)... I don't think 7.1 would work well in my room.

At this point, I think 5.1 will keep me happy (that is all that matters right?) and sound great .

I do hope my component combination will sound good together!

BD
Congrats on your new speakers. Thats similiar to my setup and I enjoy them greatly. Good luck!!
Edited by cchunter - 5/1/13 at 4:52am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread