or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 802

post #24031 of 35267
Thx folks for chiming in. I am guessing the space will be used mostly for TV (GoT, Amer Horror Story, Walking Dead) and sports. There will be some gaming as well. I imagine pure music listening will be 10-20% (probably none deemed as "critical listening").

As far as the advice for towers as surrounds, I'd love to be able to do that, but there is no way to pull that off (unless I engineer one he'll of a mounting setup).

I guess in evaluating my utilization, the 650's are probably the way to go.

Any recommendations for good dual subs (in the 2k for pair area)? Mike has suggested SVS PB-12's. Another online vendor has quoted me a deal on Klipsch SW-311' s. I have done some internet hw on subs, however, not a ton.

Fwiw- I live in Greensboro, NC, and there is not a whole lot of places to demo product. The advice from this forum has been very helpful. Unfortunately the BEST advice of listen and let your own ears tell you, is not one I can follow through on ;-)
post #24032 of 35267
Jklick - I have been working with Mike ;-) He is probably getting sick of hearing from me :-D.

Please do chime in (or PM me). I'd ove to hear from you regarding your new toys.
post #24033 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Any recommendations for good dual subs (in the 2k for pair area)? Mike has suggested SVS PB-12's. Another online vendor has quoted me a deal on Klipsch SW-311' s.
i would get a pair of PSA XV15's for $1600 shipped. Up your budget to $2500, I would take the Rythmik FV15hp pair. Forget about the SW311. I had the similiar one: SW310 and sold it within a week.
post #24034 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Any recommendations for good dual subs (in the 2k for pair area)? Mike has suggested SVS PB-12's. Another online vendor has quoted me a deal on Klipsch SW-311' s. I have done some internet hw on subs, however, not a ton.

Check this sub out for a pair for $2k. It takes a little assembly, but it looks just killer for the price. Assembly looks very easy too, all you need is some glue, a screwdriver, and maybe an hour of time. All the hard work is done for you. You get two solid 12" drivers and a 950 watt amp in a opposing design. Next to that I would look at a pair of Hsu VTF15h subs.
post #24035 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Unfortunately the BEST advice of listen and let your own ears tell you, is not one I can follow through on ;-)
Yeah, this was my problem as well. There's always a ton of people trying to pull you in a hundred directions, but after reading enough reviews and forums posts, it becomes somewhat apparent what the "safe picks" are - i.e. the choices that have the highest probability of satisfaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Jklick - I have been working with Mike ;-) He is probably getting sick of hearing from me :-D.
LOL... I thought the same thing too, but he never showed it. When all is said and done, we should have a contest to see which of us consumed more of his time. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

i would get a pair of PSA XV15's for $1600 shipped. Up your budget to $2500, I would take the Rythmik FV15hp pair. Forget about the SW311. I had the similiar one: SW310 and sold it within a week.
I had considered the XV15's too. From my research, they seemed like they would be able to put out more "oomph" than the PB12's, but their THD tests were fairly poor in comparison to the PB12's. Here's a post I made while I was going through this research process:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1478655/speakers-for-100-movies-tv-3k-to-5k-budget/90#post_23471695

I ended up sticking with the "safe pick" - the PB12's. Once I have my initial setup, I may go back and test the XV15's to see what all the buzz is about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Check this sub out for a pair for $2k. It takes a little assembly, but it looks just killer for the price. Assembly looks very easy too, all you need is some glue, a screwdriver, and maybe an hour of time. All the hard work is done for you. You get two solid 12" drivers and a 950 watt amp in a opposing design. Next to that I would look at a pair of Hsu VTF15h subs.
The only thing I might mention is that he - like me - has the wife aesthetics variable to worry about. The DIY kits have fantastic bang for your buck, but aren't the prettiest creatures known to man. I guess it's dependent upon how easily the Mrs. can be bribed or if you can place it out of sight somehow.
post #24036 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

If I live long enough, I'll have a set of all 4 Heritage speakers, NEW.

Nice! For me? 10 years down the road I'll go for Jubs (or whatever is the top dog then).
post #24037 of 35267
Getting a pair of KPT-100 to use as rear surrounds! That will be nice!
post #24038 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Getting a pair of KPT-100 to use as rear surrounds! That will be nice!

For me, it's like rolling the dice & sayin' "come on, C#%^*#'s List."
post #24039 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjennings2510 View Post


.....which brings me to another question. Is there a switcher for amps? Something that will allow me to hook up 2 amps to one set of speakers? . . . .

Bought this a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ATM-7-Speaker-Selector/dp/B004Y8MH3M

Have a Denon 4311 (with an Adcom GFA 555 for the fronts) for HT, and in the same room on the switcher running a Scott 299D integrated tube amp for 2 channel vinyl on the same K-horn fronts in the HT.

What I like about the ATM 7 is the remote control, led's, high watt handling, built-in safety, mute, and takes bannana plugs, which few switchers do.

Also, you can run either 2amps and 7 sets of speakers, or 7 amps and two sets of speakers.

After a lot of research on swittchers, the ATM 7 is serving me well.
Edited by Rhetor - 8/4/13 at 9:13pm
post #24040 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

You got that SVS & never looked at a Klipsch sub again tongue.gif

Yes sir lol biggrin.gif. Svs has earned my business for sure great subs. smile.gif
post #24041 of 35267
Just picked up a pair of Quartets for 2 channel set up. DSCN0237.JPG 2909k .JPG file biggrin.gif DSCN0245.JPG 2931k .JPG file
post #24042 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Just picked up a pair of Quartets for 2 channel set up. DSCN0237.JPG 2909k .JPG file biggrin.gif DSCN0245.JPG 2931k .JPG file
Congrats they look like beauty's !!
post #24043 of 35267
Good show!
post #24044 of 35267
Thanks, biggrin.gif. I plan on bringing them down to the ht and running them against the rf-7iis for some comparisons. Im also going to get the db meter out and see how close the sensitivity is vs the 7s,
post #24045 of 35267
Sounds like fun; look forward to the results.
post #24046 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Bought this a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ATM-7-Speaker-Selector/dp/B004Y8MH3M

Have a Denon 4311 (with an Adcom GFA 555 for the fronts) for HT, and in the same room on the switcher running a Scott 299D integrated tube amp for 2 channel vinyl on the same K-horn fronts in the HT.

What I like about the ATM 7 is the remote control, led's, high watt handling, built-in safety, mute, and takes bannana plugs, which few switchers do.

Also, you can run either 2amps and 7 sets of speakers, or 7 amps and two sets of speakers.

After a lot of research on swittchers, the ATM 7 is serving me well.
Oh Great ,now you're gonna make send more $$$ I see a pair of tube mono blocks in my future tongue.gif
post #24047 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Congratulations Popalock!

For those of you that don't get out much: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484131/home-theater-of-the-month-popalocks-bassment-big-screen-bigger-subs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Hey gang...Am I the only one that thinks this is cool especially given that AVS has a reputation (falsely, IMO) of folks not liking Klipsch? I love that this is also a Science Forum and when one of those folks that don't like Klipsch makes an unwarranted comment, Reason comes back at them:
Isn't that the goal for all of us that like it LOUD, Clean and undistorted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


that Pio Elite SC-57 AVR is NOT like any other AVR currently on the market as that Pio has the new Class "D" amps One for each channel & at all channel driven can sustain what the AVR is rated for all channels driven with no loss in watts , there is NO AVR on the market that can do this but those Pio's , your Denon can not , the Elite SC-57 is the exception to the rule
Pop is only driving 5 channels with that AVR as well . Pop's system is special due the all the subwoofers that are powered by 2 extreme high wattage power amps thru a 10x10 miniDSP . Pop has done a beautiful job & my hat is off to him , who knew a HT with Klipsch speakers would be the 1st HT featured but it's the massive amount of bass that is the draw smile.gif
Well done Popalock

Thanks Gents.

I think it's pretty cool too.

wink.gif
post #24048 of 35267
Pretty cool? It's awesome! I had no idea! I see it now in your sig, not never caught on before.
post #24049 of 35267
Popalock, I hadn't noticed before either. Looks like an experience! Awesome setup!
post #24050 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Hello all.

I am in process of looking to get speakers for my basement HT/media room. I am currently looking at:

Scenario 1 -> 3 x KL-650THX (L/C/R), 2 x KS-525 (Surround), and the jury is still out on the dual subs (leaning toward 2 x SVS PB-12)

Scenario 2 - 2 x RF-7ii (L/R), 1 x RC-64ii (C), 2 x RS-62ii (surrounds). Could substitute the KS-525's if a good match to this system.

I am wondering if anyone has heard these 2 different systems and could compare and contrast the performance.

One concern I have going with Scenario 1, is the dilemma is the potential mounting of the KL-650's. I really have no desire to wall mount them, and I have not found any really good speaker stands that support a 39# bookshelf. If I do go this route, I am thinking that I will be building my own oak speakerstands.

I do like the "look" of towers, however, I have no desire to sacrifice sound quality for aesthetics (even if there is a negative WAF consequence).

I will be driving this system with an Emotiva XPA-5, and UMC-200. My space will be as follows (per my crappy quick paint drawing):


A good compare/contrast of audio performance from this forum would be greatly appreciated (and whatever other comments you might have)...



Thank you - Jeff

Pulled the trigger on Scenario 1 with Mike today. Opted for the PB-12 NSD's. Mike is checking into a pair of PC-12's that might be available "open-box". Now the wait begins ;-)
post #24051 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Pulled the trigger on Scenario 1 with Mike today. Opted for the PB-12 NSD's. Mike is checking into a pair of PC-12's that might be available "open-box". Now the wait begins ;-)
I have a pair of the PC12-NSD's I love them smile.gif . They can shake the whole house eek.gif I like the fact of the small foot print & that they can be easily moved around as needed without breaking your back .
post #24052 of 35267
I got home last night about 10 and started to bring my klf10, c7 upstairs to replace my front three. I reran Audessey and by the time I finished, it was after mid night so I couldn't crank it up. Sound amazing still at low level.




Before Klipsch pic with cheapo Polk Monitor 40's across the front:


After with KLF10,C7:

The screen is 110" 16x9. Y'all can see why the KLF20 don't work as the KLF10 being 2" shorter are already at the bottom of my screen viewing area.
Here is another shot of my room:

Thanks again for everyone's input.
post #24053 of 35267
Nice room, the KLF's should be a substantial upgrade!
post #24054 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I got home last night about 10 and started to bring my klf10, c7 upstairs to replace my front three. I reran Audessey and by the time I finished, it was after mid night so I couldn't crank it up. Sound amazing still at low level.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Looks GREAT ! Those look brand New !

Report back on the SQ difference smile.gif
post #24055 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Congratulations Popalock!

For those of you that don't get out much: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484131/home-theater-of-the-month-popalocks-bassment-big-screen-bigger-subs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Hey gang...Am I the only one that thinks this is cool especially given that AVS has a reputation (falsely, IMO) of folks not liking Klipsch? I love that this is also a Science Forum and when one of those folks that don't like Klipsch makes an unwarranted comment, Reason comes back at them:
Isn't that the goal for all of us that like it LOUD, Clean and undistorted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


that Pio Elite SC-57 AVR is NOT like any other AVR currently on the market as that Pio has the new Class "D" amps One for each channel & at all channel driven can sustain what the AVR is rated for all channels driven with no loss in watts , there is NO AVR on the market that can do this but those Pio's , your Denon can not , the Elite SC-57 is the exception to the rule
Pop is only driving 5 channels with that AVR as well . Pop's system is special due the all the subwoofers that are powered by 2 extreme high wattage power amps thru a 10x10 miniDSP . Pop has done a beautiful job & my hat is off to him , who knew a HT with Klipsch speakers would be the 1st HT featured but it's the massive amount of bass that is the draw smile.gif
Well done Popalock

Thanks Gents.

I think it's pretty cool too.

wink.gif

Kudos for getting Klipsch back on the AVS radar. Nice setup!
post #24056 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Bought this a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ATM-7-Speaker-Selector/dp/B004Y8MH3M

Have a Denon 4311 (with an Adcom GFA 555 for the fronts) for HT, and in the same room on the switcher running a Scott 299D integrated tube amp for 2 channel vinyl on the same K-horn fronts in the HT.

What I like about the ATM 7 is the remote control, led's, high watt handling, built-in safety, mute, and takes bannana plugs, which few switchers do.

Also, you can run either 2amps and 7 sets of speakers, or 7 amps and two sets of speakers.

After a lot of research on swittchers, the ATM 7 is serving me well.
Oh Great ,now you're gonna make send more $$$ I see a pair of tube mono blocks in my future tongue.gif

Solid state for HT, but nothing like the warmth of tubes for 2 channel.

It is just money anyway . . . One less vacation Most years we do stay-cations and buy toys . . . Better than digital pics when the vacation is over and a lot more fun after!

I see tubes in your future, Bro! wink.gif
post #24057 of 35267
Nice, Cowboys, really nice.

Now, if you went back and got those KLF 20s too . . . eek.gif
post #24058 of 35267
Vacations are just a memory, once you get back & you know what the Hard Core AVS'ers say about memory rolleyes.gif
Me , I like to spend $$ on things that reach out & touch me again & again tongue.gif
post #24059 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Just picked up a pair of Quartets for 2 channel set up. DSCN0237.JPG 2909k .JPG file biggrin.gif DSCN0245.JPG 2931k .JPG file

Love the look of your new to you Quartets! They crank and are exceptional at low volume for music. Congrats!

Give us your 2 channel review after you listen to your most beloved piece of music . . . Tell us what you hear!
post #24060 of 35267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WroboBuckeye View Post

Hello all.

I am in process of looking to get speakers for my basement HT/media room. I am currently looking at:

Scenario 1 -> 3 x KL-650THX (L/C/R), 2 x KS-525 (Surround), and the jury is still out on the dual subs (leaning toward 2 x SVS PB-12)

Scenario 2 - 2 x RF-7ii (L/R), 1 x RC-64ii (C), 2 x RS-62ii (surrounds). Could substitute the KS-525's if a good match to this system.

I am wondering if anyone has heard these 2 different systems and could compare and contrast the performance.

One concern I have going with Scenario 1, is the dilemma is the potential mounting of the KL-650's. I really have no desire to wall mount them, and I have not found any really good speaker stands that support a 39# bookshelf. If I do go this route, I am thinking that I will be building my own oak speakerstands.

I do like the "look" of towers, however, I have no desire to sacrifice sound quality for aesthetics (even if there is a negative WAF consequence).

I will be driving this system with an Emotiva XPA-5, and UMC-200. My space will be as follows (per my crappy quick paint drawing):


A good compare/contrast of audio performance from this forum would be greatly appreciated (and whatever other comments you might have)...



Thank you - Jeff

Pulled the trigger on Scenario 1 with Mike today. Opted for the PB-12 NSD's. Mike is checking into a pair of PC-12's that might be available "open-box". Now the wait begins ;-)

Congrats! I call the waiting "Hell Week!" Looking forward to seeing your new setup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread