or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 809

post #24241 of 35276
maybe all marketing hype, but, fwiw,

from the Klipsch website under Heresy III Description:

"First introduced in 1957, the Heresy, a three-way design, started out as a compact center channel speaker to accompany the Klipschorn® in three-speaker stereo arrays."

AND

from the Klipsch website under Cornwall III Description:

"Initially introduced in 1959, the Cornwall speaker was designed to serve as a larger, full-range alternative to the Heresy when used as a center channel speaker between two widely spaced Klipschorns."
post #24242 of 35276
Quote:

The 1st listing looks good. 2 year warranty with good feed back and they have sold a lot of them but I can't read the feed back on them as it is listed as private listings??

I know this is not a lot of $$ but it's heavy cabinet and crawling on my my side to get to the back of my AVR. I only want to do this ONE time.

Sancho are the one's you purchased from this seller holding tight and not breaking etc?
Thanks
Louis


Check his spades for the backs of our Heresy and Cornwalls
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141028813492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&afsrc=1
Edited by Louis Bartay - 8/8/13 at 2:08pm
post #24243 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

maybe all marketing hype, but, fwiw,

from the Klipsch website under Heresy III Description:

"First introduced in 1957, the Heresy, a three-way design, started out as a compact center channel speaker to accompany the Klipschorn® in three-speaker stereo arrays."

AND

from the Klipsch website under Cornwall III Description:

"Initially introduced in 1959, the Cornwall speaker was designed to serve as a larger, full-range alternative to the Heresy when used as a center channel speaker between two widely spaced Klipschorns."

Back in the early 60's when I was a kid Pop had one vertical Cornwall and two Klipshorns in a large game room. He did not keep the center vertical Corn very long as the two Khorns imaged just fine without it

and it took up too much room as it was in the way of the pool table..

We talked about that when I we purchased my Cornwalls new in 1979 when I was 29... $941.00(naw birch with risers) was a lot of money back then for two speakers and I borrowed the $$ from Pop and made payments.

Now look at the price for two Cornwalls... Man times have changed.
post #24244 of 35276
Louis have only had them since June with no problems, so far..
post #24245 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Louis have only had them since June with no problems, so far..

Cool, Thanks I will purchased some and and pack of 4 gold spades for my HII and Corns. I have been looking for 120 pound mounting brackets or medium sized flat screen wall mounts trying

figure a way to mount Heresy up high and do away with my stands in the bedroom as I read you were thinking about mounting a pair of your HII from the ceiling or top of the wall.

They are so heavy for what we want to do and I think if you ceiling mount you should go in the attic with a 2X4 and screw it to the the joists in the ceiling the sheet rock is nailed to

for added weight support.
post #24246 of 35276
There's no attic, but can find the studs; vaulted ceiling.
post #24247 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Cool, Thanks I will purchased some and and pack of 4 gold spades for my HII and Corns. I have been looking for 120 pound mounting brackets or medium sized flat screen wall mounts trying

figure a way to mount Heresy up high and do away with my stands in the bedroom as I read you were thinking about mounting a pair of your HII from the ceiling or top of the wall.

They are so heavy for what we want to do and I think if you ceiling mount you should go in the attic with a 2X4 and screw it to the the joists in the ceiling the sheet rock is nailed to

for added weight support.
Louis, I had PM'ed this to Sancho to yesterday we were talkin' about my mounting my huge heights/wides
Quote:
it something I saw in a niteclub over the Dance Floor ;
the speakers were up on the ceiling suspended from threaded rods that had simple arms between the front & back rods
(4 Rods per speaker 2 support bars per set )

they were angled by just washers & nuts placed on the threaded rods at different levels
the rods just were anchored thru the sheetrock & into the ceiling joists.
my heights/wides are CS-1.5's style cabinets (hersey clones) with that huge Eliptrac horn so they are 60+ lbs each . So this is how I will mount them up at the ceiling .
I was up in the attic & figured the all I had to do is reinforce the area between the joists with 3/4" plywood & 2 x 4 's (right at the top Of the sheetrock) & I could bolt the rods at any angle . Hell you could also just lay a 2x6 on top/across of the joists just angled to where you want the speaker aimed & lag bolt the 2 x 6 to the joists & then bolt the rods to the parallel pair of 2 x 6 's you just lag bolted (see I keep refining the plan the more I think about it )
the threaded rods would be covered with black rubber tubing for show & keep the dust outta the threads
angling would be easy just but different levels of washer & nut front & back , the support bars could be metal OR even 3/4 x 3/4 " boards (that way the speaker wouldn't be marred by vibration )
the threaded rods could be 1/4 to 3/8 " thick and are had at any Lowes Or Home depot they come in 4 to 8 foot lengths cut as needed thing

after much thought & another trip to the attic I've settled on this IS the way to hang the beasts rolleyes.gif Beats trying to make angled wood wall shelf for the heights & the wides need to be at a 45 degree in the corners and @ the ceiling as well a hanging shelf would even more heavy & hard to adjust for fine tuning wink.gif
Edited by Fastslappy - 8/8/13 at 4:59pm
post #24248 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasoman2 View Post

I have the Klipsch KV3 center speaker and the SW8FB subwoofer and front speakers of the same vintage. As my hearing declined I replaced the center speaker with a (don't laugh) Bose VCS10 because someone on line swore up and down it was very distinct with the voices and it was. It also has a great low profile compared to the Klipsch. I now have the Klipsch collecting dust and am about to put it on Craig's list. Can anyone tell me its approximate value; I paid $399.99 back in '94.

I bought mine in good condition a few years back for 120 via craigslist.
post #24249 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue13x View Post

And they're up.

Now time to use some banana plugs and cable sleeves to tidy it all up.

hapyhana.jpg

What did you use to mount them? LOOKS good.great job. I need to purchase some banana plugs for the back of my AVR I am tired of the wires working loose every time I go behind the cabinet to clean the fans and vacuum .

I had a link that had some cool banana plugs that the outside screwed onto the wire plug( lost it Duh). I read that Nakamichi use to make some nice plugs? Suggestions and links would be a big help

I don't want to waste my time on a cheep plug as the cabinet is heavy and at my age now it's a PIA to move . My AVR speaker connectors does not have the threaded shafts with a hole drilled thru the side for a bare speaker wire to go thru and tighten the plastic red/black nuts down.

Hi. Thanks. I used Vogels Wall 1045 arms to mount them, this way they are adjustable 180 degrees to the side and the angle point up or down.

If you find those banana plugs let me know.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4
post #24250 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Heresy was designed to keep up with the big stuff by PWK, correct?

From what I have read, that is the history . . . Heresy was originally the center solution for K-horns by PWK . . . I wasn't there, but I read it on the Internet . . . so it must be . . . wink.gif

read that on the Klipsch web site, so it has a bit more credibility

+1--IIRC, I saw on there a PDF of one of PWK's early typed one page newsletters that the Heresy was designed as a center channel between 2 K-horns in early stereo . . . IIRC.
post #24251 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

+1--IIRC, I saw on there a PDF of one of PWK's early typed one page newsletters that the Heresy was designed as a center channel between 2 K-horns in early stereo . . . IIRC.
Yeah , I seen that , it was discussed on the Klipsch forum about how really was it actually used by the audio buff back then OR was just a sales pitch to sell more speakers , as also pointed out that system might/would be mono signal split 3 ways . Was there a mixer back then that would mix the left & right signal ? PWK was cutting edge back then so some of his ideas never caught on as a board appeal . My Dad was heavily into stereo gear in the early/mid 60'ies , I used his gear as much or more than he did , He had alotta buddies that had the high end gear as well & I never came across a 3 way system . It was a big thing when the receivers came out with a 3 way A or B , A/B both on selection knob for a 2nd set of speakers .
I'm not saying that Klipsch didn't market a center just that to most buyers it was a very impracticable idea at the time to even buy a center, let alone think one was necessary .
post #24252 of 35276
Ok let me try this another way for those who missed it or did not understand what I was trying to say.

I now have
1 pl-28 bic center
4 pl-89 towers
2 klipsch klf 10
2 klipsch klf 20

So I was thinking I should do klispch 20 for left and right, and the 10's for wides. And then do the 4 bic towers for the side and rears, and of course the center will be the bic pl-28 cc speaker. Do you guys think I should have the klipsch towers all up front, or put the 20s up front for left and right and do a bic for wides and then the klf 10's for sides and bics for rears? I look forward to any and all comments.
post #24253 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

My question is this: "Should I move the four Herseys to the first floor HT to use as wides and heights, and then move the four KG 4s upstairs as surrounds, or just leave things as they are?"
I would.
Nice setup!!
post #24254 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yeah , I seen that , it was discussed on the Klipsch forum about how really was it actually used by the audio buff back then OR was just a sales pitch to sell more speakers , as also pointed out that system might/would be mono signal split 3 ways . Was there a mixer back then that would mix the left & right signal ? PWK was cutting edge back then so some of his ideas never caught on as a board appeal . My Dad was heavily into stereo gear in the early/mid 60'ies , I used his gear as much or more than he did , He had alotta buddies that had the high end gear as well & I never came across a 3 way system . It was a big thing when the receivers came out with a 3 way A or B , A/B both on selection knob for a 2nd set of speakers .
I'm not saying that Klipsch didn't market a center just that to most buyers it was a very impracticable idea at the time to even buy a center, let alone think one was necessary .

There's fairly simple analog circuit you can build to create the center signal from R+L speaker level inputs. The Heresy didn't need to play as loud as the KHorn because the center signal was used as a filler and meant to be softer.

e.g. see http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/127779/1293226.aspx#1293226
post #24255 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Ok let me try this another way for those who missed it or did not understand what I was trying to say.

I now have
1 pl-28 bic center
4 pl-89 towers
2 klipsch klf 10
2 klipsch klf 20

So I was thinking I should do klispch 20 for left and right, and the 10's for wides. And then do the 4 bic towers for the side and rears, and of course the center will be the bic pl-28 cc speaker. Do you guys think I should have the klipsch towers all up front, or put the 20s up front for left and right and do a bic for wides and then the klf 10's for sides and bics for rears? I look forward to any and all comments.

Klf20 for main 10 for Surround.
post #24256 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Ok let me try this another way for those who missed it or did not understand what I was trying to say.

I now have
1 pl-28 bic center
4 pl-89 towers
2 klipsch klf 10
2 klipsch klf 20

So I was thinking I should do klispch 20 for left and right, and the 10's for wides. And then do the 4 bic towers for the side and rears, and of course the center will be the bic pl-28 cc speaker. Do you guys think I should have the klipsch towers all up front, or put the 20s up front for left and right and do a bic for wides and then the klf 10's for sides and bics for rears? I look forward to any and all comments.
Yup your choices is what I'd do smile.gif
post #24257 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

+1--IIRC, I saw on there a PDF of one of PWK's early typed one page newsletters that the Heresy was designed as a center channel between 2 K-horns in early stereo . . . IIRC.
Yeah , I seen that , it was discussed on the Klipsch forum about how really was it actually used by the audio buff back then OR was just a sales pitch to sell more speakers , as also pointed out that system might/would be mono signal split 3 ways . Was there a mixer back then that would mix the left & right signal ? PWK was cutting edge back then so some of his ideas never caught on as a board appeal . My Dad was heavily into stereo gear in the early/mid 60'ies , I used his gear as much or more than he did , He had alotta buddies that had the high end gear as well & I never came across a 3 way system . It was a big thing when the receivers came out with a 3 way A or B , A/B both on selection knob for a 2nd set of speakers .
I'm not saying that Klipsch didn't market a center just that to most buyers it was a very impracticable idea at the time to even buy a center, let alone think one was necessary .

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. I have a 1964 Scott 299D integrated tube amp with a true center built in. I chose it because it was a true 3 channel early tube amp, with a center channel. I use it with 2 channel vinyl between my K-horns, but not with a Heresy for 3 channels, but with a sub on the center channel for 2.1 off the Scott 299D. I like thump, even in 2 channel.

My Belle center works great for movies . . . A perfect sonic match between the K-horns and a nice looking TV stand too!
post #24258 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

My question is this: "Should I move the four Herseys to the first floor HT to use as wides and heights, and then move the four KG 4s upstairs as surrounds, or just leave things as they are?"
I would.
Nice setup!!
oK . . . Gonna take your advice . . . Just have to wait until next week when I have some time and . . . To build up some energy! Thanks.
post #24259 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Ok let me try this another way for those who missed it or did not understand what I was trying to say.

I now have
1 pl-28 bic center
4 pl-89 towers
2 klipsch klf 10
2 klipsch klf 20

So I was thinking I should do klispch 20 for left and right, and the 10's for wides. And then do the 4 bic towers for the side and rears, and of course the center will be the bic pl-28 cc speaker. Do you guys think I should have the klipsch towers all up front, or put the 20s up front for left and right and do a bic for wides and then the klf 10's for sides and bics for rears? I look forward to any and all comments.

Klf20 for main 10 for Surround.

+1 .. . don't waste the KLF 10s as wides . . . You will get more out of them as side surrounds .. . Tryit both ways and see how you like it best. No setup (unless it is an in wall install) is permanent. Move them all around to get the sound you like best.
Edited by Rhetor - 8/8/13 at 7:38pm
post #24260 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

So I am now the proud owner of real klipsch speakers. I just picked up a pair of klf 10 and a pair of klf 20. Now here is the interesting part. I have a full bic pl-89 set up. so I will be marrying the 2 together. I have the pl28 for the center, then going to use the 4 towers bic pl-89 as my side and rears and then use the 20 as my left and right and the 10's as my wides for a 9.0 set up. what do you guys think? I can hear a tad difference across the three with the pl-28 and the 10s. But have not hooked up the 20's with it yet. So any idea suggestions?
congrats metalguy, nice score
post #24261 of 35276
+1 nice score, & when you get your KLF-30s, then move the 20s to Surround & 10s to Wide.
post #24262 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Yup your choices is what I'd do smile.gif
So your saying what then? What is your suggestion?
post #24263 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Ok let me try this another way for those who missed it or did not understand what I was trying to say.

I now have
1 pl-28 bic center
4 pl-89 towers
2 klipsch klf 10
2 klipsch klf 20

So I was thinking I should do klispch 20 for left and right, and the 10's for wides. And then do the 4 bic towers for the side and rears, and of course the center will be the bic pl-28 cc speaker. Do you guys think I should have the klipsch towers all up front, or put the 20s up front for left and right and do a bic for wides and then the klf 10's for sides and bics for rears? I look forward to any and all comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

So your saying what then? What is your suggestion?
those BIC has a 98 sensitivity .... the 20's have 100 & the 10's have 98 so they should match the nearly the same in SPL so your choice of placement might work
KLF- 20 -main KLF-10-wides, the 4 BIC as surround & backs BUT it's gonna be trail & error really , the KLF-10 might work better as surrounds , it's hard tell with out me ( you &/or anyone ) being there & listening to each pair in different positions , they are vastly different speaker companies & the Klipsch are of a higher quality speaker than the BIC . I'd place them as you plan & then put the BIC up to sell
the BIC 4 towers & center as a set should sell well & fast
Then buy a C7 center 1st off & then more KLF's .
I mean that I don't want to rain on your score of a killer set of KLF's at all , just that it's start of a process of upgrading to higher quality speakers & the BIC's might not be a good mix (but again they might be to YOU !) only you can make that choice , the BIC's are horn loaded & they spec similar to the KLF's but they are not as good as the KLF's in driver quality
Those 4 KLF you got are a killer set of speakers keep a keen eye for a pair of KLF-30's
6 KLF & a C7 in a 7.1 dream set-up smile.gif
post #24264 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

oK . . . Gonna take your advice . . . Just have to wait until next week when I have some time and . . . To build up some energy! Thanks.
when yer done I'll buy the beer smile.gif
post #24265 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

There's no attic, but can find the studs; vaulted ceiling.

That is the way a lot of churches do. Should look and work great.
post #24266 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

maybe all marketing hype, but, fwiw,

from the Klipsch website under Heresy III Description:

"First introduced in 1957, the Heresy, a three-way design, started out as a compact center channel speaker to accompany the Klipschorn® in three-speaker stereo arrays."

AND

from the Klipsch website under Cornwall III Description:

"Initially introduced in 1959, the Cornwall speaker was designed to serve as a larger, full-range alternative to the Heresy when used as a center channel speaker between two widely spaced Klipschorns."

Back in the early 60's when I was a kid Pop had one vertical Cornwall and two Klipshorns in a large game room. He did not keep the center vertical Corn very long as the two Khorns imaged just fine without it

and it took up too much room as it was in the way of the pool table..

We talked about that when I we purchased my Cornwalls new in 1979 when I was 29... $941.00(naw birch with risers) was a lot of money back then for two speakers and I borrowed the $$ from Pop and made payments.

Now look at the price for two Cornwalls... Man times have changed.

Great story, Louis . . . Thanks for sharing it.
post #24267 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


those BIC has a 98 sensitivity .... the 20's have 100 & the 10's have 98 so they should match the nearly the same in SPL so your choice of placement might work
KLF- 20 -main KLF-10-wides, the 4 BIC as surround & backs BUT it's gonna be trail & error really , the KLF-10 might work better as surrounds , it's hard tell with out me ( you &/or anyone ) being there & listening to each pair in different positions , they are vastly different speaker companies & the Klipsch are of a higher quality speaker than the BIC . I'd place them as you plan & then put the BIC up to sell
the BIC 4 towers & center as a set should sell well & fast
Then buy a C7 center 1st off & then more KLF's .
I mean that I don't want to rain on your score of a killer set of KLF's at all , just that it's start of a process of upgrading to higher quality speakers & the BIC's might not be a good mix (but again they might be to YOU !) only you can make that choice , the BIC's are horn loaded & they spec similar to the KLF's but they are not as good as the KLF's in driver quality
Those 4 KLF you got are a killer set of speakers keep a keen eye for a pair of KLF-30's
6 KLF & a C7 in a 7.1 dream set-up smile.gif
+1 on selling your Bics and try to get all Klipsch. By the way Metalguy, how do the klf20 and 10 sound? Can you tell the difference between the two? How do the Klf20/10 sound as compare to your Bic?
post #24268 of 35276
back @ the center discussion ie;Hersey & Cornwall
just for dispelling any over stated non-facts
the 1st entry is notable ;

I found this from Dr Who's website http://www.klipschcorner.com/heritage/CornwallTimeline

Dr Who is one of the genuine experts over on the Klipsch Forums ,

I myself am Not a expert in any form , I am just a enthusiast with a thirst for knowledge of all things Klipsch & horns cool.gif
post #24269 of 35276
Wow after looking at that timeline , I revisited the changes to today's new Cornies & Hersey . I just realized that the Cornwall III is not using the older Cornwall style mid horn any more , so in reality the New Cornwall III is just a Hersey in a bigger cab with a 15" woofer
The difference in a Hersey I mid horn & a Cornwall I mid horn ( the older cast metal horns ) was the Cornwall metal horn was quite large compared to the Hersey horn , IIRC ,the horn mouth was at least twice as large & the horn it's self was 2 to 3X as long . I now know why when I sold/traded the metal horns that came outta my Cornwalls when I did the conversion to CornScala the old horns were in such a demand . I have never really paid attention to the newer & new Cornwall & Hersey products at all after the Originals were changed / upgraded as I looked in lust on the high level K-Horn ,Belle,LaScala ,Jubes .

( I use upgrade Very loosely, as I feel I MO they were not a up-grade at all but a production cost saving change for the worse )
I now view the old Cornwall I with that metal horn as a very valuable speaker & that the Cornwall III bought new is just WAY over priced for what you get !
Edited by Fastslappy - 8/9/13 at 11:42am
post #24270 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post

Great story, Louis . . . Thanks for sharing it.

Your welcome. IIRC Pop powered the center vertical Cornwall by hooking up a + wire from one Klipschorn to the Cornwall and the - from the other Khorn. IIRC, not sure if it stayed that.too many years ago. I know sounds weird but I think that how they did the center speaker back then. Pop had several different tube amps back then, mono block tube amps, H.H. Scott, Fisher etc but he like his tube McIntosh separates the best. He spent more time in his wood shop then he did in house. I found some old books Pop had packed up about TLS and folded horn speaker designs and a Bell&Howell book about how to build a music room.


I have a notebook packed away that I need to find. Dad used it for reference for all his experiments when he built the DIY clone Khorns(late 1950's/1960's) I still have in storage, that have University drivers and huge horns. I think I posted a pic here of one them from the rear as they need to be refurbished. And as most of you know my den is TOO small for them. mad.gif next year I will have my attached two car garage remodeled for my music room.smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread