or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 836

post #25051 of 35289
Got them located and mounted where I think they'll suit my room best. Not wired up yet since I'm low on speaker wire and out of banana plugs. Give's me something to look forward to next weekend. smile.gif


Left side

Right Side
post #25052 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The reason you find not much comes outta them is the part of the signal that comes out , that is the Same Signal as Your Mains the smaller speaker is over powered by that sameness IE; it disappears to your senses .

Are you sure about this Fast? I remember reading that Audyssey DSX uses the same signal as the Front Left and Right Mains and creates it's sound, but I thought Dolby PLz actually uses the information from the surround channels to create it's Height Chananels. Here is what Dolby says about Dolby Pro Logic IIz: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz.html

Because it processes only nondirectional sounds for the height channels, Dolby Pro Logic IIz maintains the integrity of the source mix, so the effects are always appropriate to the material. This added dimension complements the sound from the rear surround speakers, increasing spaciousness while staying true to the original intent of the content creator....

...With Dolby Pro Logic IIz, rain in a movie sounds like it’s actually falling on the listener’s roof, concert videos bring a more intense sense of being at the performance, and orchestral works deliver more palpable depth, power, and connection. That’s a home theater experience your customers won’t soon forget.

Going to watch a movie in a few . . . Will try the DPL IIZ . . .
post #25053 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

Are you sure about this Fast? I remember reading that Audyssey DSX uses the same signal as the Front Left and Right Mains and creates it's sound, but I thought Dolby PLz actually uses the information from the surround channels to create it's Height Chananels. Here is what Dolby says about Dolby Pro Logic IIz: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz.html

Because it processes only nondirectional sounds for the height channels, Dolby Pro Logic IIz maintains the integrity of the source mix, so the effects are always appropriate to the material. This added dimension complements the sound from the rear surround speakers, increasing spaciousness while staying true to the original intent of the content creator....

...With Dolby Pro Logic IIz, rain in a movie sounds like it’s actually falling on the listener’s roof, concert videos bring a more intense sense of being at the performance, and orchestral works deliver more palpable depth, power, and connection. That’s a home theater experience your customers won’t soon forget.
i dis-connected my mains at one time & Just ran the heights & wides for a period there was not that much signal loss in either llz or dsx with mains gone
Yes some of the directional stuff was stronger sounding without the mains but there wasn't a total signal loss . To the point that my wife couldn't tell the difference till I pointed it out , she's a woman with perfect pitch & has sung with the world class San Francisco symphony choir at one time in her life .
reading from a company's website & experiencing the effect yourself with evenly matched speakers are two different things .

If I believed everything I read on a company's website I would have a Bose system , Sorry you can read all you want , quote all you want but " when the rubber hits the pavement* " that what happens in my room is what I believe . YMMV
* to use an endeared racing metaphor
post #25054 of 35289
I used eBay seller chanler.young, shipping out of Baton Rouge for Nakamichi Banana plugs.
post #25055 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Got them located and mounted where I think they'll suit my room best. Not wired up yet since I'm low on speaker wire and out of banana plugs. Give's me something to look forward to next weekend. smile.gif
How Tall are your walls ?
those seem Kinda high to me , are you gonna angle them down , some what ?
Edited by Fastslappy - 8/18/13 at 3:20pm
post #25056 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Got them located and mounted where I think they'll suit my room best. Not wired up yet since I'm low on speaker wire and out of banana plugs. Give's me something to look forward to next weekend. smile.gif


Left side

Right Side

Nice Thumbs UP....those look like my RS3-II. I used a pair of these Omnimount WA 30.0 (holds 30 lb speaker).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310686930211?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&afsrc=1

Look at the right side of this page at pictures from this thread, scroll down about 28 rows and look for my name.

I had mine mounted just like your pic. Aiming down at the back of my sofa 6.5 ' away is SOO much better and sofa is 6.5'

from fonts and C7 center. See the pic's I have posted of all of them. EDIT Try the link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/680426/lightbox/post/23482604/id/233776
Edited by Louis Bartay - 8/18/13 at 2:57pm
post #25057 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Hey buddy that's great to hear ! smile.gif They are beautiful speakers and bet they sound even better ! Well I have a new picture Ive had a few months and just realized it doesn't match my 7's Might have to pick up some Heresy or Cornwalls biggrin.gif


I always loved that poster biggrin.gif
post #25058 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Got them located and mounted where I think they'll suit my room best. Not wired up yet since I'm low on speaker wire and out of banana plugs. Give's me something to look forward to next weekend. smile.gif


Left side

Right Side

So are you going to run them as your 4 and 5 and the rs-52 as 6 and 7 and the rb-75 as 8 and 9?
post #25059 of 35289


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I always loved that poster biggrin.gif
wasn't that a JBL ad back in the day ?
{EDIT}
OK NOPE it was Maxell Tape ad

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/blown-away-man/

I remember the commercials as well smile.gif
post #25060 of 35289
I remember JBL! did have grills like that. But, of course, it was a Maxell ad.
post #25061 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I always loved that poster biggrin.gif
Me to and been wanting it for years so I figured it was about time to make it happen lol.
post #25062 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I remember JBL! did have grills like that. But, of course, it was a Maxell ad.
Yes they did lol my first HT speakers were JBL cool.gif
post #25063 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

I remember JBL! did have grills like that. But, of course, it was a Maxell ad.

If IIRC Those were JBL's
JBL used that as a Ad as well & gave credit to partnership of Maxell & JBL
that Ad was Hugely popular for years
And to this day is copied wildly in different forms
There used to be bumper sticker/window decal with Jerry Garcia seated as such smile.gif
post #25064 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

How Tall are your walls ?
those seem Kinda high to me , are you gonna angle them down , some what ?

Yes they'll get angled down when I do the wiring. I may lower them another 6 to 8 inches also. The curtain on the left side limits me somewhat and the stud location as well.
post #25065 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Nice Thumbs UP....those look like my RS3-II. I used a pair of these Omnimount WA 30.0 (holds 30 lb speaker).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310686930211?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&afsrc=1

Look at the right side of this page at pictures from this thread, scroll down about 28 rows and look for my name.

I had mine mounted just like your pic. Aiming down at the back of my sofa 6.5 ' away is SOO much better and sofa is 6.5'

from fonts and C7 center. See the pic's I have posted of all of them. EDIT Try the link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/680426/lightbox/post/23482604/id/233776

Thanks! I remember the Omnimounts Louis. IIRC I'm the one that found them for you. smile.gif
post #25066 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Yes they'll get angled down when I do the wiring. I may lower them another 6 to 8 inches also. The curtain on the left side limits me somewhat and the stud location as well.
Tasdom, how many channels do you run ? I notice that you use 2 XPA-5's in your sig
post #25067 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post


wasn't that a JBL ad back in the day ?
{EDIT}
OK NOPE it was Maxell Tape ad

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/blown-away-man/

I remember the commercials as well smile.gif

Yes i think is was for the tapes they sold for recording biggrin.gif
post #25068 of 35289
Ok here is my small review and opinion of the RF-7ii vs Cornwalls.eek.gif


There is no clear cut winner here. The 7s have a sparkle to them that i have not heard in any other speaker. They have this sound like its in the room right in front of you vs a sound that is coming out of a speaker.The detail or sparkle of the 7s is clean and clear it gives a realism thats really awesome for movies.

The cornwalls are amazing speakers that have a really powerful big sound.The bass is tight and powerful. The voice is probably the biggest i have heard yet from a set of speakers. Music has a sound that is hard to explain. Its almost like a drug that makes you want to listen to more and more. Each instrument is large and separate from the others.

But really the two speakers sound really close to each other. And now I can see why klipsch almost called the RF-7 the RF-Heritage.They are really that close. With now owning two of the older klipsch models (quartet and these) its clear to me that the RF-7ii are right in the mix as some of klipsch best speakers (sound wise).

However I can also see why the Heritage speaker have a cult like following. They are beautiful speakers that is like a high quality piece of furniture. They also appear to be bullet proof speakers that will probably last forever. It was not easy to take them out of my main system. I miss them already and its only been a few hours since i moved them up stairs lol.

If i had to pic a winner I would say the cornwalls have a tiny edge. But it was like i would listen to the 7s and think these are better then i would switch to the corns and think no these are better and so on.biggrin.gif
post #25069 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

i dis-connected my mains at one time & Just ran the heights & wides for a period there was not that much signal loss in either llz or dsx with mains gone...
Yes some of the directional stuff was stronger sounding without the mains but there wasn't a total signal loss . To the point that my wife couldn't tell the difference till I pointed it out , she's a woman with perfect pitch & has sung with the world class San Francisco symphony choir at one time in her life ...
reading from a company's website & experiencing the effect yourself with evenly matched speakers are two different things .

If I believed everything I read on a company's website I would have a Bose system , Sorry you can read all you want , quote all you want but " when the rubber hits the pavement* " that what happens in my room is what I believe . YMMV
* to use an endeared racing metaphor

I agree everyones MMV but I am not sure what you are saying above and not questioning your results except to ask are you saying when you took your mains out of the equation it was like they were still there on both DSX and PLIIz? Again, not being argumentative but DSX and PLIIz sounds completely different on my system using Height Speakers.

{EDIT: From what you state from your experience I can see your results possibly being derived from DSX but definitely not from Dolby PLIIx}

I also don't necessarily buy everything a company says on their website, but Audyssey actually states it gets the information from the Front speakers and Dolby states it derives it from the surrounds and I guess I don't understand why Dolby would feel the need to say something that was the opposite of what is being stated... There has been alot of discussion on the differences and although I don't doubt what you were hearing, wonder if there was some other factor for your results if I am understanding you correctly. I also don't think the advertising claims by Bose is comparable to what we are discussing.

For the record and from a knowledgeable source on this subject (who is an independent observer), here is a good thread to peruse and his comment to another poster which also includes toeing in the rear speaker as was being discussed here recently:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

You are not alone in your reaction. The DSX heights also output a similar signal as the wides, but it might not be as distracting as it does not spread offscreen so obviously.

Less obvious is that DSX softens the surrounds by applying decorrelation and reducing the levels a few dB. Not a great idea for hearing details.

And you also have the PLIIz option which is a wholly different process that does not derive from the front channels at all, and doesn't diminish the surrounds. Give it a spin and see what you think.

Not sure if your surround speaker wiring is final and buried or not, but be advised that with a 7.1 setup the surrounds (sides) should be at the sides of the front row. While I agree that it is not possible to make every seat the best seat, it is possible to make the MLP better than some of the others. The Audyssey diagram in post 1 is unfortunately incorrect in how it depicts the surrounds for the 7.1 basic setup.

And speaking of toe-in, it works not only for the front speakers, but the surrounds, too.

Again, this isn't a sponsored thread by either company.
post #25070 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Tasdom, how many channels do you run ? I notice that you use 2 XPA-5's in your sig

7.2 now will be 9.2 with the RS7s. I future proofed when I added the second amp biggrin.gif

btw... the ceilings are 10' 8" high
post #25071 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

Thanks! I remember the Omnimounts Louis. IIRC I'm the one that found them for you. smile.gif

WOW Duh My..... lol Thanks For the help.
Louis
post #25072 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Yes i think is was for the tapes they sold for recording biggrin.gif
I remember seeing that in a "Record Store" as one of those Ad display materials above the counter where they stocked the cassette tapes @ the time , Maxell & Sony metal cassette were my tape of choice for recording Live Dead shows in the pit behind or just in front of the soundboard at Dead concerts . my trusty Sony D5 tape deck & Schoeps mic's
sometimes I'd go all commando/stealth & tape from 18' back from the stage with the mic's hidden in a cap
post #25073 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Ok here is my small review and opinion of the RF-7ii vs Cornwalls.eek.gif


There is no clear cut winner here. The 7s have a sparkle to them that i have not heard in any other speaker. They have this sound like its in the room right in front of you vs a sound that is coming out of a speaker.The detail or sparkle of the 7s is clean and clear it gives a realism thats really awesome for movies.

The cornwalls are amazing speakers that have a really powerful big sound.The bass is tight and powerful. The voice is probably the biggest i have heard yet from a set of speakers. Music has a sound that is hard to explain. Its almost like a drug that makes you want to listen to more and more. Each instrument is large and separate from the others.

But really the two speakers sound really close to each other. And now I can see why klipsch almost called the RF-7 the RF-Heritage.They are really that close. With now owning two of the older klipsch models (quartet and these) its clear to me that the RF-7ii are right in the mix as some of klipsch best speakers (sound wise).

However I can also see why the Heritage speaker have a cult like following. They are beautiful speakers that is like a high quality piece of furniture. They also appear to be bullet proof speakers that will probably last forever. It was not easy to take them out of my main system. I miss them already and its only been a few hours since i moved them up stairs lol.

If i had to pic a winner I would say the cornwalls have a tiny edge. But it was like i would listen to the 7s and think these are better then i would switch to the corns and think no these are better and so on.biggrin.gif

Nice review! It's always hard (for me anyways) to write and put into words what your ears hear differently when comparing different speakers. I'd love to hear some Cornwalls someday or any of the Heritage for that matter.
post #25074 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

WOW Duh My..... lol Thanks For the help.
Louis
lol was my pleasure sir!
post #25075 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Ok here is my small review and opinion of the RF-7ii vs Cornwalls.eek.gif


There is no clear cut winner here. The 7s have a sparkle to them that i have not heard in any other speaker. They have this sound like its in the room right in front of you vs a sound that is coming out of a speaker.The detail or sparkle of the 7s is clean and clear it gives a realism thats really awesome for movies.

The cornwalls are amazing speakers that have a really powerful big sound.The bass is tight and powerful. The voice is probably the biggest i have heard yet from a set of speakers. Music has a sound that is hard to explain. Its almost like a drug that makes you want to listen to more and more. Each instrument is large and separate from the others.

If i had to pic a winner I would say the cornwalls have a tiny edge. But it was like i would listen to the 7s and think these are better then i would switch to the corns and think no these are better and so on.biggrin.gif
change out those old oil in paper caps ,add a Crites CT-125 tweet That sparkle you talk of will be even better , trust me on this .
But really keep them as is till you know them well & then do those additions ( they are not expensive ) you will floored at the difference .

Ha Ha you been bit by the Heritage bug , I'm truly Sorry for Ya wink.gif no going back now . . . . .
those are beautiful set , well done RH biggrin.gif
post #25076 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

change out those old oil in paper caps ,add a Crites CT-125 tweet That sparkle you talk of will be even better , trust me on this .
But really keep them as is till you know them well & then do those additions ( they are not expensive ) you will floored at the difference .

Ha Ha you been bit by the Heritage bug , I'm truly Sorry for Ya wink.gif no going back now . . . . .
those are beautiful set , well done RH biggrin.gif


Thanks, smile.gif I just need to stop looking at CL for a while (right tasdom biggrin.gif )
post #25077 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by excusemaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06GTOguy View Post

It says they will work with 10 awg, I use 14 and I'm pretty sure 12 will fit, possibly 10

it probably depends on the outer jacket of the wire itself. in my case i'm using sewell 12 gauge 259 strand oxygen free copper wire. the outer jacket of the speaker wire is very thick. its good for pull some long cable runs (which is something my particular system requires). like any communication wire you would pull the cable by the jacket and not the actual wires. that said, my speaker wire fits very snug into the monster tips. a 10 gauge wire similarly constructed would not fit. the gauge of the cable in question is obviously the gauge of the actual wire less the outer conduit jacket. something to maybe keep in mind.

I have a question. on the insert side of the banana connector where you insert the speaker cable. are these less expensive banana tips the same size as the monster brand? is the hole size identical? just asking for a answer based on a casual look at it as best you can recall when you made up your speaker connections

The bottom half, the piece that the outer jacket goes into, looks to be a tad bit smaller. But the GLS plug has a little more weight to it. I think 10 awg would be pushing it. But like you said it depends on the outer jacket.
post #25078 of 35289
Quote:
to ask are you saying when you took your mains out of the equation it was like they were still there on both DSX and PLIIz?
Yes again the directional stuff was stronger slightly ,
I will say that NOT all concert Blurays be the same in mix weather DSX vs dolby I have some Who stuff that sounds better on DSX , some Stones stuff that sounds better dolby
I have a David Gilmore( of Pink Floyd) @ the Royal Albert hall that sounds better as all channel stereo than either of the dolby & DSX modes .
each recording's mix & encoding play a huge part . all can be vastly different .
I had 15 ppl here for a dinner party & I asked which sounded better as I toggled between DSX, Dolby , all channel stereo , all agreed on all channel with the David Gilmore bluray .
these were all friends who over the years we all went together to every Pink Floyd show here in SF bay area since the 70's
post #25079 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

change out those old oil in paper caps ,add a Crites CT-125 tweet That sparkle you talk of will be even better , trust me on this .
But really keep them as is till you know them well & then do those additions ( they are not expensive ) you will floored at the difference .

Ha Ha you been bit by the Heritage bug , I'm truly Sorry for Ya wink.gif no going back now . . . . .
those are beautiful set , well done RH biggrin.gif


Thanks, smile.gif I just need to stop looking at CL for a while (right tasdom biggrin.gif )

That's funny you say that about Craigslist, I just bought my set up RF82, RC62, RS3, not to long ago off of Craigslist. Got a great deal, but I have been waiting for a pair of RF83 to show up for probably the last 10 months. Well now that I just bought all that they finally show up! RF83 in cherry! I hate to pass it up but the other half would kill me if I came home with this monstrous, 100lb a piece speaker. Then i would be sleeping on the couch for a month after I told her how much I paid for them. At least I could listen to some great sounding speakers while I sleep. wink.gif
post #25080 of 35289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Ok here is my small review and opinion of the RF-7ii vs Cornwalls.eek.gif


There is no clear cut winner here. The 7s have a sparkle to them that i have not heard in any other speaker. They have this sound like its in the room right in front of you vs a sound that is coming out of a speaker.The detail or sparkle of the 7s is clean and clear it gives a realism thats really awesome for movies.

The cornwalls are amazing speakers that have a really powerful big sound.The bass is tight and powerful. The voice is probably the biggest i have heard yet from a set of speakers. Music has a sound that is hard to explain. Its almost like a drug that makes you want to listen to more and more. Each instrument is large and separate from the others.

But really the two speakers sound really close to each other. And now I can see why klipsch almost called the RF-7 the RF-Heritage.They are really that close. With now owning two of the older klipsch models (quartet and these) its clear to me that the RF-7ii are right in the mix as some of klipsch best speakers (sound wise).

However I can also see why the Heritage speaker have a cult like following. They are beautiful speakers that is like a high quality piece of furniture. They also appear to be bullet proof speakers that will probably last forever. It was not easy to take them out of my main system. I miss them already and its only been a few hours since i moved them up stairs lol.

If i had to pic a winner I would say the cornwalls have a tiny edge. But it was like i would listen to the 7s and think these are better then i would switch to the corns and think no these are better and so on.biggrin.gif
Great review Ref ! You gave a excellent description of the 7s as far as that's exactly how I feel about them also . I'm sure if I had the cornwalls Id be going threw the same thing as you going back and fourth . I feel the same way about my Dynaudio Focus 160's I run in my 2ch setup . I don't think I could ever give either one up and will probably have them for ever ! It's nice feeling knowing you don't need or have that speaker upgrade bug of woulda coulda shoulda biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread