or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 903

post #27061 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post


Augmenters are for breasts.

Do military folks really cal them afterburners? As a former Pratt & Whitney engineer, that makes me really sad. I guess if you can fool a soldier and waste his/her time for hours by asking him/her to find a box of squelch then I shouldn't be too surprised that everyone's gone all Maverick.
post #27062 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Bill, so I Could build a DR250 base bin & then use my Eliptrac-400 horn & B&C 750 driver as a top section ?
That defeats the design.
post #27063 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post

Full augmenter. ... seriously. wink.gif

Full blower is the only option off the carrier. It and all modern afterburning fighters are capable of mil power take off (no AB) on hard ball runways and typically takeoff that way unless computed T.O. roll reaches a certain distance (percentage of the runway length).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post

according to the specs on JTR they have more output. And I believe JTR specs much more than Klipsch since Klipsch seems to rate their sensitivity much higher than they actually are. And while never have heard a khorn I have heard the noesis 212 on a 800 watt mono block at +18 db over reference and it had (to my ears) zero distortion. It was the loudest thing I have ever heard. And my previous job was launching F-18's off if aircraft carriers from a whopping 15 feet from the engines at full afterburner.

And you were wearing heavy-duty hearing protection...and it still is frighteningly loud. It is a loud you feel in that scenario. I spent a week on the Constellation off San Diego when shooting Pensicola Wings of Gold. Damned impressive.

Back in the 80s when I was flying the A-10 we used to still see F-111s come through once in a while. The two engines in that thing were huge monsters. When we would be sitting at last-chance at the end of the runway in the A-10, canopy closed, helmet on, and earplugs in and an F-111 was on the runway running up 50 yards away and lit the burners, it was amazing. The roar and vibration was still there at a frightening level. I don't want to hear that in my theater. eek.gif

By the way, if you valued your hearing, you wore earplugs under your helmet. I tried going wtihout them for a short while back in the late 70s in the A-7, and could tell my hearing wasn't going to last. Back to earplugs, and fortunately hearing improved.

I think Reference is all I'll need, and even then I'll be happy with that being in my headroom in most cases.
Edited by Cam Man - 10/9/13 at 9:33pm
post #27064 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilort View Post

Do military folks really cal them afterburners? As a former Pratt & Whitney engineer, that makes me really sad. I guess if you can fool a soldier and waste his/her time for hours by asking him/her to find a box of squelch then I shouldn't be too surprised that everyone's gone all Maverick.
pilots and maintainers all refer to high power as full afterburner. Never heard it called anything else. Was a maintainer for 8 years and a few years even spent with the mechs. Never heard them call it anything but that either.
post #27065 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post


What was your opinion on the differences? I have heard a few people that did not like the bass from the Jubilee. One guy I believe owned a pair and was not happy so he went with something like the 415 bass bin. I'll have to check who it was that messaged me over on the other forum about them. If the difference is like the difference between Khorn bass and Cornwall bass, I prefer Cornwall/Chorus II bass over the Khorn/LaScala so it's possible I'll prefer the direct 415 over the Jube bottom if the comparison's are the same.

 

It's probably been 5 years or so since I've heard them.  What I think they were trying to show (in part) is it took something with four 15" drivers to have output with lower distortion of the horn loaded bass bin.

 

They both had the same top end and to be honest, after 5 years, I don't know that I recall any substantial difference in sound.  They both sounded great.

 

I think it is also a testimony to the huge K402 on top.  It has blended well with something as "small" (hahahahahaha) as a LaScala and as large as the MWM.

 

I was once talking with Roy.  I don't remember the context of the conversation but what I seem to recall him saying is even horn loaded bass bins need some volts to get the drivers moving.

 

My interpretation of that is it takes some power to get the woofers wigging a bit more so they start having some bite with their bark.

 

You might simply prefer direct/radiator bass and the tradeoff that design gives over horn loaded bass.

post #27066 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydue View Post

pilots and maintainers all refer to high power as full afterburner. Never heard it called anything else. Was a maintainer for 8 years and a few years even spent with the mechs. Never heard them call it anything but that either.

Amongst pilots there are several common terms for afterburner; AB, burner, and blower were all common. The only AB plane I flew was the 16 (A-model). Its burner was staged, meaning you could select minimum to full. If AB was to be used for T.O. only full would be used, of course. Lower levels of AB could be used in air to air engagements, as required. I suspect it is the same for all modern fighters. By comparision, some of the century-series fighters didn't have this feature. They were ether full AB or no AB. The F-100 had an instaneous light that was quite a boom on T.O. roll. Modern AB designs light up smoothly in stages, which you can see in the movie footage.

The wake turbulence compressor stall and subsequent flameout in Top Gun is reasonably accurate, especially if at slower speeds when trying to light AB. Even in clear air, the engine in the A-model F-16 had an envelope based on altitude and airspeed where you could select AB. If you selected it out of that, there was no guaranty that it would light or you wouldn't induce possibly serious engine issues such as compressor stalls. Students would do it occasionally, and sometimes the engine might give one loud bang, but settle down after pulling it immediately back to mil power. Either way, such would be the end of that flight, and a you'd declare an emergency and recover in an SFO (simulated flame out) pattern/landing.

Way off topic. Sorry.
post #27067 of 35187
I flew the CF-101 Voodoo in the 70s. Like the F-100, it had instantaneous burner lighting with no modulation (except for 4% of the engines), except that the were two side by side & unfortunately they never lit at the same time. When it was cold outside & thrust was really enhanced, takeoffs, especially in formation, were most interesting & challenging. During the burner lights, both aircraft yawed (sometimes into each other) on the runway during the initial takeoff roll making things quite harrowing at times until the thrust on each side equalized.

The Brits call it (or used to) 'Reheat'...

TAM
post #27068 of 35187
I will take the theater system... with it's very small foot print. three way though.
post #27069 of 35187
I "Tip My Hat" to all of the members who have served the USA is the military. Cool that a few of you have air craft backgrounds. Don't you wish they had a Klipsch sound
system in them back then. biggrin.gif My late dad was pliot/aircraft mechanic in WWII.(Patton's Army) It seems fast cars,motorcycles and aircraft addicts wink.gif seem to be draw into the Klipsch crowd.
The first 20 years of my career I was a Tool&Die maker (specialist machinist) and ended up at Menasco Mgf. we made the landing gear for the F-16 and many others. I miss the "Blue Angles" at airshows now. mad.gif
Carry on with Klipsch.....smile.gif
post #27070 of 35187
Are these speakers to big for my room the room is about 11x 11 x 8 with an open doorway to a hall way... roughly ...
My set up is as follows
Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever
Klipsch rc 62 ii center
Klipsch rb 61 ii fronts
Klipsch rb 41 ii sides (surrounds)
No sub yet...
Is this set up too big for my room? Would I be better off going with rb 41 ii x 4 for fronts and surrounds and an rc 42ii?

Feedback please... I can put a diagram if that would help..
post #27071 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbormes96 View Post

Are these speakers to big for my room the room is about 11x 11 x 8 with an open doorway to a hall way... roughly ...
My set up is as follows
Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever
Klipsch rc 62 ii center
Klipsch rb 61 ii fronts
Klipsch rb 41 ii sides (surrounds)
No sub yet...
Is this set up too big for my room? Would I be better off going with rb 41 ii x 4 for fronts and surrounds and an rc 42ii?

Feedback please... I can put a diagram if that would help..
the 42's I find are underwhelming stay with what you got listed , it's better to have too much speaker than too little smile.gif
post #27072 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

the 42's I find are underwhelming stay with what you got listed , it's better to have too much speaker than too little smile.gif

You mean th 41s I currently have set up? Or the whole 41 set up
post #27073 of 35187
Are these speakers to big for my room the room is about 11x 11 x 8 with an open doorway to a hall way... roughly ...
My set up is as follows
Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever
Klipsch rc 62 ii center
Klipsch rb 61 ii fronts
Klipsch rb 41 ii sides (surrounds)
No sub yet...
Is this set up too big for my room? Would I be better off going with rb 41 ii x 4 for fronts and surrounds and an rc 42ii?

Feedback please... I can put a diagram if that would help..
post #27074 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbormes96 View Post

You mean th 41s I currently have set up? Or the whole 41 set up
best is have all the same series of speakers center, mains, surrounds . I myself would shoot for all 4 RB-61's & a RC62 center
the surrounds have just as much impact as the mains in a modern 5.1 movie/TV soundtrack .
post #27075 of 35187
hey guys got to complete my klf package ,sold the oak klfc7 and got the black one instead just picked up the klf-20 in black so i am set .
now mr slappy what is the best way to fix corners on speakers and to refinnish and paint them i know you have said strip them sand them and paint them .would you please elaborate on the details i am not very savy like you guys ,i never did this before and i know mupi did it several times is it easy /diy or do i have to leave it to a pro to do it and make them look new?there is a fey scratches and dings nothing serious i just wanna make them look
great since i adopted them .is there a special paint for speakers to make them satin black? they sound exellent btw ,they keep up with the 30 's for sure and listening i all channel stereo is something i never experienced
this good b4...will post pics as soon as i refabric the grills ,yes i am gonna attempt in doing it myself cauz klipsch never conirmed if the new grills came with the laser badges .
post #27076 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

best is have all the same series of speakers center, mains, surrounds . I myself would shoot for all 4 RB-61's & a RC62 center
the surrounds have just as much impact as the mains in a modern 5.1 movie/TV soundtrack .

Ok you don't think that set up would be too big for my room? Am I going to notice a "bad set up" if I went the 41s as surrounds?
post #27077 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post

hey guys got to complete my klf package ,sold the oak klfc7 and got the black one instead just picked up the klf-20 in black so i am set .
now mr slappy what is the best way to fix corners on speakers and to refinnish and paint them i know you have said strip them sand them and paint them .would you please elaborate on the details i am not very savy like you guys ,i never did this before and i know mupi did it several times is it easy /diy or do i have to leave it to a pro to do it and make them look new?there is a fey scratches and dings nothing serious i just wanna make them look
great since i adopted them .is there a special paint for speakers to make them satin black? they sound exellent btw ,they keep up with the 30 's for sure and listening i all channel stereo is something i never experienced
this good b4...will post pics as soon as i refabric the grills ,yes i am gonna attempt in doing it myself cauz klipsch never conirmed if the new grills came with the laser badges .

Go to the Klisch Factory Forum and do a search their as several members have done a cabinet restore and it goes into detailed text and pic's. I have helped repair leaking seams on the KLF-20.Great HT with the C7. The tweeter diaphragms for the KLF-20/30 will fit in the huge tweeter horn in the C7 that looks just like the mid horn in the KLF20/30 but it has a small throat. Bob Crites has Ti diaphragms for the tweeters and the C7 mid horn.A nice upgrade from the stock poly,that to me sound just fine like they are.YMMV on the Ti VS poly diaphragms. Good find, Great HT system with a decent sub, you will love them when you get them all dialed in.
post #27078 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post

hey guys got to complete my klf package ,sold the oak klfc7 and got the black one instead just picked up the klf-20 in black so i am set .
now mr slappy what is the best way to fix corners on speakers and to refinnish and paint them i know you have said strip them sand them and paint them .would you please elaborate on the details i am not very savy like you guys ,i never did this before and i know mupi did it several times is it easy /diy or do i have to leave it to a pro to do it and make them look new?there is a fey scratches and dings nothing serious i just wanna make them look
great since i adopted them .is there a special paint for speakers to make them satin black? they sound exellent btw ,they keep up with the 30 's for sure and listening i all channel stereo is something i never experienced
this good b4...will post pics as soon as i refabric the grills ,yes i am gonna attempt in doing it myself cauz klipsch never conirmed if the new grills came with the laser badges .
IF you have the means to strip,fill,sand, paint then go for it , BUT if you've never done any of this before the learning curve is steep & you might not want to do this on your babies without some practice on other less valuable speakers cool.gif

actually a re-veneer is sometimes cheaper to do than a strip & paint , you can always veneer & stain black IMO this is very beautiful when done & actually wears better than black paint
(thick black paint on a auto ,the scratches show badly )
any local refinsher can do a re-veneer
post #27079 of 35187
I have heard some goofs referring to AB as "Lighting the Pie." I almost asked them to stop using that term. Nothing better then mixing aviation talk with speakers wink.gif
post #27080 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

IF you have the means to strip,fill,sand, paint then go for it , BUT if you've never done any of this before the learning curve is steep & you might not want to do this on your babies without some practice on other less valuable speakers cool.gif

actually a re-veneer is sometimes cheaper to do than a strip & paint , you can always veneer & stain black IMO this is very beautiful when done & actually wears better than black paint
(thick black paint on a auto ,the scratches show badly )
any local refinsher can do a re-veneer
i might get an esimate locally ,i guess anybody that worked on wood tables can easily work with these right?
thanks fast
post #27081 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Go to the Klisch Factory Forum and do a search their as several members have done a cabinet restore and it goes into detailed text and pic's. I have helped repair leaking seams on the KLF-20.Great HT with the C7. The tweeter diaphragms for the KLF-20/30 will fit in the huge tweeter horn in the C7 that looks just like the mid horn in the KLF20/30 but it has a small throat. Bob Crites has Ti diaphragms for the tweeters and the C7 mid horn.A nice upgrade from the stock poly,that to me sound just fine like they are.YMMV on the Ti VS poly diaphragms. Good find, Great HT system with a decent sub, you will love them when you get them all dialed in.
thank you louis great advice might check it and try to get ideas in case i wanna practice on some old yamaha speakers that i bought 20 years ago ,cheapees that i don't care what happens to them ,or plan b get that estimate and spend a couple hundos and be really pampered ,an early xmas present lol
post #27082 of 35187
If it flies, it dies.

Big sky, little bullet.
post #27083 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by malmstump View Post

thank you louis great advice might check it and try to get ideas in case i wanna practice on some old yamaha speakers that i bought 20 years ago ,cheapees that i don't care what happens to them ,or plan b get that estimate and spend a couple hundos and be really pampered ,an early xmas present lol



Are these speakers to big for my room the room is about 11x 11 x 8 with an open doorway to a hall way... roughly ...
My set up is as follows
Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever
Klipsch rc 62 ii center
Klipsch rb 61 ii fronts
Klipsch rb 41 ii sides (surrounds)
No sub yet...
Is this set up too big for my room? Would I be better off going with rb 41 ii x 4 for fronts and surrounds and an rc 42ii?

Feedback please... I can put a diagram if that would help..
post #27084 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbormes96 View Post

Are these speakers to big for my room the room is about 11x 11 x 8 with an open doorway to a hall way... roughly ...
My set up is as follows
Pioneer vsx 1021 reciever
Klipsch rc 62 ii center
Klipsch rb 61 ii fronts
Klipsch rb 41 ii sides (surrounds)
No sub yet...
Is this set up too big for my room? Would I be better off going with rb 41 ii x 4 for fronts and surrounds and an rc 42ii?

Feedback please... I can put a diagram if that would help..
Why do you keep asking the same question everyday?
post #27085 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

Why do you keep asking the same question everyday?
he's about to get on Ignore list
smells like a troll
post #27086 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

I flew the CF-101 Voodoo in the 70s. Like the F-100, it had instantaneous burner lighting with no modulation (except for 4% of the engines), except that the were two side by side & unfortunately they never lit at the same time. When it was cold outside & thrust was really enhanced, takeoffs, especially in formation, were most interesting & challenging. During the burner lights, both aircraft yawed (sometimes into each other) on the runway during the initial takeoff roll making things quite harrowing at times until the thrust on each side equalized.

The Brits call it (or used to) 'Reheat'...

TAM

Yee haaa! That would be kind of wild! Nose gear steering don't fail me now! Hometown ANG unit had RF-101s.
post #27087 of 35187
Sorry to remain off topic.

I flew the CF-101B Interceptor version. Here is an impressive pic of the exact model & colour scheme at the same unit & base that I flew on the eastern seaboard during the Cold War. Nice afterburners, eh?

http://www.warplane.com/images/Aircraft/Voodoo10.jpg

Now back to Klipsch...

TAM
post #27088 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

Sorry to remain off topic.

I flew the CF-101B Interceptor version. Here is an impressive pic of the exact model & colour scheme at the same unit & base that I flew on the eastern seaboard during the Cold War. Nice afterburners, eh?

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/290623/

Now back to Klipsch...

TAM
I don't know WHY but I always loved the look of the VooDoo biggrin.gif
post #27089 of 35187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I don't know WHY but I always loved the look of the VooDoo biggrin.gif

Very cool!! As I remember, it was the fastest acclerator of the day.

Was that at Chatham? Flew into airshow there in July 80. Awesome weekend. rolleyes.gifwink.gif

If we start getting in trouble, move to PM.
post #27090 of 35187
They can always go over to the Official Klipsch BB; oh, wait, it's down this week.

Flew M1A1 Abrams Tanks myself; used money to buy my 1st pair of Klipsch kg1.

Later had the honor to work in C-141C & C-17.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread