or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 911

post #27301 of 35276
Sounds better, nonetheless.
post #27302 of 35276
Correct. In general, this will usually improve room modes as you'll in effect have the low freq coming from more than one point (versus using a single sub).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sounds better, nonetheless.
post #27303 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sounds better, nonetheless.

At home, you get to be the director. smile.gif
post #27304 of 35276
Makes sense, thank you guys! To add to the issue, I toed in my fronts a bit more and that has likely affected the sound.

I'll run audyssey again and see how it goes after giving it a good test.
post #27305 of 35276
The good news is a lot of movies are now being remixed for Blu-ray, therefore presumably corrected. smile.gif
post #27306 of 35276
You really should aim horns to their respective ear (IMHO). Horns are directional and this not only reduces room reflections, but also helps inter-aural cross correlation (you don't want sounds meant for the left ear getting to the right ear, etc...) and also helps you take advantage of a horn's on axis response. Aiming horns will likely help you to more easily hear detail (assuming you want that).

I turned off Audyssey MultiEQ XT a long time ago. Basically, Audyssey lowers high frequency response too much for my tastes. I verified this with REW and a UMM-6 mic. I think it's due to the house curve being used (my AVR does not let you select which house curve is used and I understand there are two where only one is flat). I consider Audyssey to be more of a gimmick. Especially since I found out after buying my AVR that it is not Audyssey Pro compatible. Why they can't put that somewhere in the specs is beyond me. And it was Onkyo's flagship AVR too (TX-NR905)...

To fix your bass issue, it's much better to get another matching sub(s), even if you have to buy it used. In fact, if you have room, get three more and put one in each corner. The room modes (resonances at a certain frequency) will go away if you do this (with no need for Audyssey). Using one sub will never sound as flat as using two or more matching subs (even with Audyssey). If you google the subject there are numerous articles on using multiple subs that are worth reading.

Basically, if you can make things better without using Audyssey do that first (multiple subs, speaker placement and room treatments), and then apply Audyssey last if you really need it. Your AVR should have a manual EQ built in, so I would just use that for the low frequencies along with REW and a USB calibrated mic (UMM-6, etc...).
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

Makes sense, thank you guys! To add to the issue, I toed in my fronts a bit more and that has likely affected the sound.

I'll run audyssey again and see how it goes after giving it a good test.
post #27307 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

You really should aim horns to their respective ear (IMHO). Horns are directional and this not only reduces room reflections, but also helps inter-aural cross correlation (you don't want sounds meant for the left ear getting to the right ear, etc...) and also helps you take advantage of a horn's on axis response. Aiming horns will likely help you to more easily hear detail (assuming you want that).

I turned off Audyssey MultiEQ XT a long time ago. Basically, Audyssey lowers high frequency response too much for my tastes. I verified this with REW and a UMM-6 mic. I think it's due to the house curve being used (my AVR does not let you select which house curve is used and I understand there are two where only one is flat). I consider Audyssey to be more of a gimmick. Especially since I found out after buying my AVR that it is not Audyssey Pro compatible. Why they can't put that somewhere in the specs is beyond me. And it was Onkyo's flagship AVR too (TX-NR905)...

To fix your bass issue, it's much better to get another matching sub(s), even if you have to buy it used. In fact, if you have room, get three more and put one in each corner. The room modes (resonances at a certain frequency) will go away if you do this (with no need for Audyssey). Using one sub will never sound as flat as using two or more matching subs (even with Audyssey). If you google the subject there are numerous articles on using multiple subs that are worth reading.

Basically, if you can make things better without using Audyssey do that first (multiple subs, speaker placement and room treatments), and then apply Audyssey last if you really need it. Your AVR should have a manual EQ built in, so I would just use that for the low frequencies along with REW and a USB calibrated mic (UMM-6, etc...).
+1
I also turned off my Audyssey , it never could do my room any justice , just sounded flat & lifeless , i did many multiple readings , plotting grids , boom mic stand , sound isolation techniques frown.gif

I use the #3 method as above with then tweaking with correct distances , toe in , sub placement , spl levels for each channel
post #27308 of 35276

I just got a pair of RF-82II's. Pretty excited!

post #27309 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

I just got a pair of RF-82II's. Pretty excited!

Pics, or it didn't happen!!!

Congratulations, what is the rest of your set-up?
post #27310 of 35276
My cherry RF7IIs arrived yesterday biggrin.gif. Can smell the finish from a few feet away. Wiring it up tonight.
post #27311 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

My cherry RF7IIs arrived yesterday biggrin.gif. Can smell the finish from a few feet away. Wiring it up tonight.

Broken record here! Congratulations, what is the rest of your set-up?

Pics, or it didn't happen!!!
post #27312 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Broken record here! Congratulations, what is the rest of your set-up?

Pics, or it didn't happen!!!

It's the complete RF7II HT system on the website. I took a phone pic of my old setup (RF15/RC25/RB15) with the RC64II on its stand in front of the RC25 and it was comical how much bigger it is. Once I've got everything wired and in the positions I want, I'll post a pic.
post #27313 of 35276
Good, very good!
post #27314 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Sounds better, nonetheless.

And to me this is the last and final stat that matters more than the rest put together. I know we all get caught up in numbers and what should or should not work. But its audio so the best way is the way that sounds best no matter what or why it shouldn't. biggrin.gif
Edited by Reference_head - 10/18/13 at 5:29pm
post #27315 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

I just got a pair of RF-82II's. Pretty excited!

Awesome congrats biggrin.gif
post #27316 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

My cherry RF7IIs arrived yesterday biggrin.gif. Can smell the finish from a few feet away. Wiring it up tonight.


What are you running them off?


edit: i see this was asked nm
post #27317 of 35276
Yes, I keep experimenting, too. Have to re-run Audyssey for non A/C (or not as much) months.
post #27318 of 35276
I do the same thing. Right now i have everything at 80hz but so far the best is everything at 80 and the 7s large.
post #27319 of 35276
When I get more woofage, like you, I think 80 & Small will be the way to go.

I'm eventually gonna build; in the meantime, I can use 3 more Off the shelf SWs; & then relocate the extras.
post #27320 of 35276
Onkyo 818. Just bought that too.
post #27321 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

Onkyo 818. Just bought that too.

Audyssey XT32, right? Let us know about the Onkyo, too, please.
post #27322 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post


Pics, or it didn't happen!!!

Congratulations, what is the rest of your set-up?

 

 

I'll try to get a pic. I just have a Denon 2113ci and the two RF-82II's. I'm looking for a subwoofer next. Putting it together piece by piece. 

post #27323 of 35276
It sounds like you have the same Audyssey version I have. I've heard that XT32 is much better, but I'm not going to risk it as my AVR works great as a preamp.

BTW, thanks I forgot to mention distances and levels! Hopefully he first runs Audyssey to set those, then turns it off. Some stuff is useful about Audyssey such as the easy setup... A few times I've had to adjust levels slightly after Audyssey, but it seems to do well in that arena. I like to plot all channels in REW and use my eye to align the amplitude of each plot as I adjust level.

I plan to buy a preamp at some point, but I'm waiting for HDMI 2.0, Dolby Atmos, etc... For now, my Onkyo TX-NR905 is slow at HDMI handshaking. It's getting to be pretty old, but still works well. I hope more preamps offer the HDMI instant preview feature along with HDBaseT and more zones in the future. It would also be great if you could buy a $2000 preamp and also have it double as a 4x4 HDMI matrix switch, or at least have three HDMI zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

+1
I also turned off my Audyssey , it never could do my room any justice , just sounded flat & lifeless , i did many multiple readings , plotting grids , boom mic stand , sound isolation techniques frown.gif

I use the #3 method as above with then tweaking with correct distances , toe in , sub placement , spl levels for each channel
post #27324 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombertodd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Pics, or it didn't happen!!!


Congratulations, what is the rest of your set-up?


I'll try to get a pic. I just have a Denon 2113ci and the two RF-82II's. I'm looking for a subwoofer next. Putting it together piece by piece. 

Good, very good. You can run a Phantom center for now, & you're in the Used market, too. Wish I'd gone Used much earlier & often.

Used SW I'd be very careful about. I got one Used, but it was very local & inexpensive. I prefer New SW or, when I can, build.
post #27325 of 35276

I'm looking at new subs. I prefer to buy new stuff if possible. I'm interested in the DIY but my knowledge on the subject is very limited, but my general building skills are pretty good (background in rc car racing, extreme computer building, many house projects). I'm hoping to start reading next month and decide on the route. As for now, my wife and I switched from built in TV speakers to these Klipsch RF-82II's and could not be happier. 


Edited by bombertodd - 10/20/13 at 1:14pm
post #27326 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Audyssey XT32, right? Let us know about the Onkyo, too, please.

Just finished wiring using banana plugs and spades. My fingers are going to be in pain in the morning. That said, all of my speakers are operational. I did not run any setup on the Onkyo yet as it's a bit too late, but I'll run Audyssey in the morning. Even without it, the sound quality difference was very noticeable. After I set things up, I'll put it through its paces biggrin.gif.
post #27327 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

How do the Klipsch Epic CF-4's compare to the RF-83's? What would be a fair price to offer for a pair of Epic CF-4's (Revision 3)? I've heard the Revision 1's are the version to get.

I wasn't even finished with high school when they came out, but the Epic line looks like they'd make awesome theater speakers and can be found cheaper than the heritage stuff.

I have CF-3 v1 and I love them. There is a thread at the Klipsch community forum about the differences between the versions.
post #27328 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Would a pair of RB-25s for surround back rears timber match my RB-5 front channels?

And is $150 a fair price for those RB-25s?
Ideally all speakers should match but in your case at least have the front sound stage be the same. You can use the RB25's for surrounds. $150 isn't bad especially if they're in mint condition.
post #27329 of 35276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post

It's the complete RF7II HT system on the website. I took a phone pic of my old setup (RF15/RC25/RB15) with the RC64II on its stand in front of the RC25 and it was comical how much bigger it is. Once I've got everything wired and in the positions I want, I'll post a pic.

Nice upgrade. You're gonna love the difference. Congratz!
post #27330 of 35276
Hey folks, just dropping in to say hello. Schu, Coytee, Scrappy, Peter, Tony, Tas.....top of the evening to y'all.

The holding pattern is getting long in tooth...Chad needs to get on the ball over there in Indy.

-QH
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread