or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Klipsch owner thread - Page 1018

post #30511 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

A quick question, Bill. Long ago they used to make speakers called "sweet 16" which were basicall 16 cheap 4" car speakers mounted on a panel in infinite baffle style. They sounded pretty good. The question is can a speaker designer get high end sound quality from inexpensive drivers with good design and materials?
I built my 8 midbass/12 tweeter line arrays with 97 cent midbasses and 25 cent tweeters. The shipping cost more than the drivers. They were close out drivers, their actual value was ten times that, but even at full price obviously very inexpensive. The finished arrays are the equal of commercial speakers that sell for $2k and more.
Quote:
what is your take on multiple subs ?
Read this:
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

I only have one sub because I don't have a large LP, my room is almost acoustically perfect, and my sub will reach reference with only 10 watts eek.gif
Otherwise I'd have at least two.
post #30512 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

it's all concrete here in my room .. 20cm of the hardest sort. the room-shape sucks up more bass then the concrete does. if one had 2 littlewrecker or tht it should be more then enough bass. on a side note a 18" woofer doesn't give more tighter bass then a 12 or 15" would give, specially not when one puts higher freqs through it. here it would be a good thing to hear bill f's or mike's opinion on the subject. i can understand though having a sub for each speaker and connect it through high inputs.
edit : ps if you want really insain bass get a DD 9918Z 18" woofer with a 26kW amp section, you get some like 180dB output or a Tech TRW which can go as low as 1hz. paradigm sub 2 is also nice. all capable of completly destroying ur house biggrin.gif

I agree with that. Its just my experience when i built the home theater to get the right amount of bass it took a min of 3 subs placed in the right spots (one in back and two in front). I could have done it with lesser subs in the placement i have but it sure helps to have 3 big subs (to me).

I also agree that driver size means nothing compared to set up (sub driver, sub design, and placement). A 10" can destroy a 18" depending how the two are set up and used.
post #30513 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Quick 2 questions here. I have an opportunity to get (2) RF3-ii for $450; possibly $400. Is that a good deal for these older speakers? Also if I get these what is the matching center? Should I look for an older center or go with RC-52/62?

Thanks,
Luke

Not a great deal. If they are minty its not bad but you can get better for less
post #30514 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

A lot more, as concrete doesn't 'suck up bass'. A very silly notion that is; if anything high mass construction gives better bass, by better containment of long wavelengths within the room. It's also better for the neighbors, who hear less of your bass, which also means it's better for you, as you can run louder before they complain.

Well if you took it as literally suck up the bass then yes it would be silly. (Its also silly that someone would take it that way smile.gif) It is meant as when placing them on concrete floors vs a room with normal flooring. The bass can have greater vibrations to the person sitting in the lp. So it will definitely feel like the concrete sucked the bass out. biggrin.gif
post #30515 of 35285
So when I get home from work today I am pleased to see my new Klipsch RB 61 II's sitting in the kitchen... As I approach the box my heart sinks as I see one corner of the box is demolished. After getting them out of the box, sure enough the back corner of the cabinet where the box is trashed is smashed in mad.gif Why oh why cant UPS get these items delivered without absolutely demolishing the box??? My RF 62's also had heavy box damage but I was lucky on that as no damage had occurred to the speakers.

I jumped on the phone to Crutchfield and they immediately got a another pair into the shipping channel for me. Also, they offered to pickup most of the cost of shipping to ensure that the replacement will be here Saturday! They have excellent Customer Service...
post #30516 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

So when I get home from work today I am pleased to see my new Klipsch RB 61 II's sitting in the kitchen... As I approach the box my heart sinks as I see one corner of the box is demolished. After getting them out of the box, sure enough the back corner of the cabinet where the box is trashed is smashed in mad.gif Why oh why cant UPS get these items delivered without absolutely demolishing the box??? My RF 62's also had heavy box damage but I was lucky on that as no damage had occurred to the speakers.

I jumped on the phone to Crutchfield and they immediately got a another pair into the shipping channel for me. Also, they offered to pickup most of the cost of shipping to ensure that the replacement will be here Saturday! They have excellent Customer Service...

So sorry man mad.gif. thats would really be a let down
post #30517 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

So sorry man mad.gif. thats would really be a let down

Aint that just the way it goes... Well, at least I can still plan on the replacement being here Saturday. I had set aside the day to get several items addressed - Setup RB 61's for my sides, setup new wireless bridge, install setup new FIOS router, setup new Harmony remote and last re-run Audyssey. biggrin.gif
post #30518 of 35285
I do think that Klipsch could do a much better job of protecting the towers. I recently purchased a rc64II which came double boxed and was fine, 2 rf82IIs and both boxes had punctures but no damage, 2 rs52IIs no problem. Years ago I bought a set of 5 Boston Acoustics and the towers were protected by 2" cardboard waffle on all sides, the proper protection imo. The rc64II and any of the towers need to be better protected from the factory.
post #30519 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

Aint that just the way it goes... Well, at least I can still plan on the replacement being here Saturday. I had set aside the day to get several items addressed - Setup RB 61's for my sides, setup new wireless bridge, install setup new FIOS router, setup new Harmony remote and last re-run Audyssey. biggrin.gif

Wow big day biggrin.gif. Have you set up a harmony before?
post #30520 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Wow big day biggrin.gif. Have you set up a harmony before?

No this will be my first foray into the realm of Harmony... Any pointers?
post #30521 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I do think that Klipsch could do a much better job of protecting the towers. I recently purchased a rc64II which came double boxed and was fine, 2 rf82IIs and both boxes had punctures but no damage, 2 rs52IIs no problem. Years ago I bought a set of 5 Boston Acoustics and the towers were protected by 2" cardboard waffle on all sides, the proper protection imo. The rc64II and any of the towers need to be better protected from the factory.

I agree. I think i have had the same experience and the same good luck. You would think the extra cost of another box would out weigh risk of damage. I guess they probably crunched the numbers though
post #30522 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

No this will be my first foray into the realm of Harmony... Any pointers?

I tried with a mac and couldn't get it to work. So i pulled out my old PC and that worked. Its pretty easy after you get it working together.
post #30523 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

I tried with a mac and couldn't get it to work. So i pulled out my old PC and that worked. Its pretty easy after you get it working together.

Yea, Windows guy so I will program using the USB connector and head to Harmony's website. Looking forward to reducing the vast array of remote controls that I have to manage.
post #30524 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoJo View Post

it's all concrete here in my room .. 20cm of the hardest sort. the room-shape sucks up more bass then the concrete does. if one had 2 littlewrecker or tht it should be more then enough bass. on a side note a 18" woofer doesn't give more tighter bass then a 12 or 15" would give, specially not when one puts higher freqs through it. here it would be a good thing to hear bill f's or mike's opinion on the subject. i can understand though having a sub for each speaker and connect it through high inputs.
edit : ps if you want really insain bass get a DD 9918Z 18" woofer with a 26kW amp section, you get some like 180dB output or a Tech TRW which can go as low as 1hz. paradigm sub 2 is also nice. all capable of completly destroying ur house biggrin.gif
paradigm sub 2 on nz version of ebay... $4500 starting bid yesterday, gone already!!
post #30525 of 35285
Think if I were in NZ, I'd DiY.
post #30526 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Think if I were in NZ, I'd DiY.
Which is what I kinda did. Diy by someone else lol. Over $2000 for anything half decent, I got my 2 subs and amp for $1000😊
post #30527 of 35285
Oh, Yes, I remember now that I looked at the pics, they look quite nice.
post #30528 of 35285

I posted here a couple days ago about whether or not an RF52-II system would be good for a 30' x 20' room.  Ya'll set me straight and told me that the 52 wasn't enough speaker for a room that big.  Then Mongo was the first to suggest I give Mike Garrett a call and see what he could do as far as a system to meet my $2000 budget for a system and receiver.

 

Well, I called Mike and within a couple days will be placing an order for 2 X RF-82 II, 1 RC-62 II, 2 X RB-61 II and an AVR-X2000.  It's a little over my budget but I'm sure it will deliver a great sound, especially when I get a PSA XV15 in a couple months (need to rebuild the funds for equipment).  My last set of speakers lasted 25 years before giving up the ghost and I'm hopeful I'll get an equally long life out of these.

 

Thanks again to everyone that helped this newbie.

post #30529 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

So when I get home from work today I am pleased to see my new Klipsch RB 61 II's sitting in the kitchen... As I approach the box my heart sinks as I see one corner of the box is demolished. After getting them out of the box, sure enough the back corner of the cabinet where the box is trashed is smashed in mad.gif Why oh why cant UPS get these items delivered without absolutely demolishing the box??? My RF 62's also had heavy box damage but I was lucky on that as no damage had occurred to the speakers.

I jumped on the phone to Crutchfield and they immediately got a another pair into the shipping channel for me. Also, they offered to pickup most of the cost of shipping to ensure that the replacement will be here Saturday! They have excellent Customer Service...

I know that feeling all to well. I took a day off in anticipation of receiving my pre/pro. UPS knocks on my door with their electronic signature pad and says sign here please. I sign, he's almost in his truck when I lift up my box and I'm like WTF! Hey get back here!



The damaged box was noted and fortunately the internal packaging foam had protected it. Man was I pissed at those guys!
post #30530 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post

I posted here a couple days ago about whether or not an RF52-II system would be good for a 30' x 20' room.  Ya'll set me straight and told me that the 52 wasn't enough speaker for a room that big.  Then Mongo was the first to suggest I give Mike Garrett a call and see what he could do as far as a system to meet my $2000 budget for a system and receiver.

Well, I called Mike and within a couple days will be placing an order for 2 X RF-82 II, 1 RC-62 II, 2 X RB-61 II and an AVR-X2000.  It's a little over my budget but I'm sure it will deliver a great sound, especially when I get a PSA XV15 in a couple months (need to rebuild the funds for equipment).  My last set of speakers lasted 25 years before giving up the ghost and I'm hopeful I'll get an equally long life out of these.

Thanks again to everyone that helped this newbie.

Congrats! IMHO, I feel it's better to go a little over budget with something you will enjoy for years rather than being under budget with a system you only wanna upgrade. Saves a lot of money in the long run biggrin.gif
post #30531 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

Yea, Windows guy so I will program using the USB connector and head to Harmony's website. Looking forward to reducing the vast array of remote controls that I have to manage.

IIRC, before my harmony one arrived you can set up your account, download the software and load all of your devices and activities. Then just plug into your pc when it arrives.
post #30532 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

I know that feeling all to well. I took a day off in anticipation of receiving my pre/pro. UPS knocks on my door with their electronic signature pad and says sign here please. I sign, he's almost in his truck when I lift up my box and I'm like WTF! Hey get back here!



The damaged box was noted and fortunately the internal packaging foam had protected it. Man was I pissed at those guys!

Yea, SOB's don't care how they handle the packages... Toss em around like a bail of hay. I was lucky on my first delivery as my tower boxes were very beat up and like you escaped damage... I just hope that when UPS shows up on Sat that the replacement RB61's are pristine.
post #30533 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasdom View Post

IIRC, before my harmony one arrived you can set up your account, download the software and load all of your devices and activities. Then just plug into your pc when it arrives.

Thanks for the tip.
post #30534 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

Thanks for the tip.

Welcome! It's pretty easy as it walks you thru each step.
post #30535 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiey60 View Post

paradigm sub 2 on nz version of ebay... $4500 starting bid yesterday, gone already!!
sorry was mistaken. 'Only' the 1700w sub1
post #30536 of 35285
Ooofta I just got done watching "The Conjuring". First time I watched it was when I had my RW12D sub and I knew it had some good bass but rewatching it at -8 volume with my Ultra 6dbs hot was a whole new experience. Like Mongo says be sure to put your jockstrap on. Yea well lets just say I wish I would've. Unbelievable! The movie is scary as hell to begin with but listening with a quality sub OMG! My muscles were tensed throughout the movie from the eery low bass. All I can say is incredible. eek.gif I'm seriously contemplating whether I need another Ultra like I planned on. It hit that hard.
post #30537 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

No this will be my first foray into the realm of Harmony... Any pointers?

Set up using MY HARMONY. It is much easier than the old HARMONY REMOTE SITE.
post #30538 of 35285

sorry to hear a lot of people here got dents n cracks in their devices upon delivery, if they would do that here in netherlands they would've been out of work in notime and have to pay for the damage themselves.

@PWH1 My Harmony : https://setup.myharmony.com/?cl=en-US

@Robbiey60 : that is also not a bad sub, but the price is high indeed. nevertheless you get a hell of a sub for that :) 

post #30539 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

Ooofta I just got done watching "The Conjuring". First time I watched it was when I had my RW12D sub and I knew it had some good bass but rewatching it at -8 volume with my Ultra 6dbs hot was a whole new experience. Like Mongo says be sure to put your jockstrap on. Yea well lets just say I wish I would've. Unbelievable! The movie is scary as hell to begin with but listening with a quality sub OMG! My muscles were tensed throughout the movie from the eery low bass. All I can say is incredible. eek.gif I'm seriously contemplating whether I need another Ultra like I planned on. It hit that hard.

man that movie is scary to the bone , i had to watch it without sub as it was middle of the night.. with the rf-82II on both LFE&Fronts i almost didn't miss the sub, but for sure i'm gonna watch it again with subs on :D 

this new setup i have now was really worth all its money, watching elysium i had to put the thing on -40dB volume and it was still a bit too loud for the middle of the night lol

post #30540 of 35285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reference_head View Post

Not a great deal. If they are minty its not bad but you can get better for less

Thanks Head. I'll keep looking.

Luke
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Klipsch owner thread