or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 160

post #4771 of 9446
The world is still on target for the 2015 Total LCD domination horror story apocalyptic holocaust!

OLED too pricey with all that will be left will be LCD that SUX!

LG down to only three Plasma models for 2013.

Is it guaranteed that Samsung and Panasonic will produce plasma in 2014?

LCD might be good for one person sitting directly in front of it--if you've got a wife get a divorce--if you've got friends who like to watch TV with you--get rid of them, too--I'm sure the message around here will be to just buy zillions of LCDs!

How can anyone who cares about video quality be hopeful for the future?

When all that is left is LCD--what incentive will there be to make them better?

Keep them looking sorry for $5,000...who knows...maybe Sharp really does have a future!
post #4772 of 9446
Only $10,000 to be a beta tester for OLED. Sounds pretty compelling.
post #4773 of 9446
rogo: take a guess--when do you think we MIGHT see 65-inch OLED for $3,500?

Would 2018 be a reasonable guess?
post #4774 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

rogo: take a guess--when do you think we MIGHT see 65-inch OLED for $3,500?
Would 2018 be a reasonable guess?

It could be that late, but I'll go with 2016. Optimism in this regard (while unwarranted by past results) seems like a good thing to possess.
post #4775 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It could be that late, but I'll go with 2016. Optimism in this regard (while unwarranted by past results) seems like a good thing to possess.

And then it will be an oldfashioned 2K-only, while 4K LCD will be in good taste and pricey 8K LCDs will be available biggrin.gif. Not that 8K sets are must but consumers are sooo sensitive to numbers .
post #4776 of 9446
Aren't the companies that are pushing 4k in USA the same companies that are selling 8k now in Japan - just saying.
post #4777 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

Aren't the companies that are pushing 4k in USA the same companies that are selling 8k now in Japan - just saying.

Selling now 8K confused.gif. Are you texting from the world 5 lightyears in the future from us? biggrin.gif
post #4778 of 9446
post #4779 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

And then it will be an oldfashioned 2K-only, while 4K LCD will be in good taste and pricey 8K LCDs will be available biggrin.gif. Not that 8K sets are must but consumers are sooo sensitive to numbers .

I am not convinced I will need 4K for a 65" panel. I agree 4K is nice to have on anything greater than 80".
post #4780 of 9446
Hey, I just remembered. Someone owes me money man tongue.gif No OLED in 2012. Now I just have to remember who. At least I get to post my gif.

post #4781 of 9446
Quote:

That is commercial panel, of which they probably sold less than 20. Also, I think there are still only three 8K studio cameras in the world. All owned by NHK and only used for the Olympics and a few 8K demo reels. 8K for the home consumer market is a very long way off, if ever. We will have to see if the movie studios start to adopt their use. If they film only in 4K they are locked into that resolution forever. It might be wise of them to master in 8K. That would probably be the maximum they will ever need for the consumer market because of display size limitations.
post #4782 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Hey, I just remembered. Someone owes me money man tongue.gif No OLED in 2012. Now I just have to remember who. At least I get to post my gif.
If that's how you phrased it, you're screwed. AMOLED Cell phones were shipping. LOL.....
post #4783 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

If that's how you phrased it, you're screwed. AMOLED Cell phones were shipping. LOL.....

No, the bet was specifically for the 55" LG OLED.
post #4784 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatstreet View Post

I am not convinced I will need 4K for a 65" panel. I agree 4K is nice to have on anything greater than 80".

Unfortunately your reason will be beaten by emotions: when seeing cheapy 4K LCD 65" and more expensive 2K 65" OLED
people will grab 4K.
post #4785 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Unfortunately your reason will be beaten by emotions: when seeing cheapy 4K LCD 65" and more expensive 2K 65" OLED
people will grab 4K.

Unless the establishment is smart enough to put them both in a darker environment.
But generally, I agree.

- Rich
post #4786 of 9446
LG is having enough trouble with the 55" OLED model, do you really think we are going to see a 65" 2K OLED for sale to the consumer anytime soon?
post #4787 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Unfortunately your reason will be beaten by emotions: when seeing cheapy 4K LCD 65" and more expensive 2K 65" OLED
people will grab 4K.

Don't completely discount the 4mm bragging rights. That thing is sick looking. And don't forget something else: By now, a solid section of the public has already had LCD and had trouble seeing somethings, like the subtle dark shades of gray. I'm not saying either of these will be enough, but it'll count for something non-insignificant.
post #4788 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Unfortunately your reason will be beaten by emotions: when seeing cheapy 4K LCD 65" and more expensive 2K 65" OLED
people will grab 4K.


will they? if benefits of 4k are only visible to most consumers on an 80+ inch display (or within inches of the screen) will people really be willing to
pay a premium over 2k sets. now i concede your point once the price delta between 2k and 4k even out.

personally, i will wait a few more years before upgrading my av equip not to 4k, but 8k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Don't completely discount the 4mm bragging rights. That thing is sick looking. And don't forget something else: By now, a solid section of the public has already had LCD and had trouble seeing somethings, like the subtle dark shades of gray. I'm not saying either of these will be enough, but it'll count for something non-insignificant.

yup thinness will help sell these puppies but only for those with money to burn. very few can justify paying a 7-8k premium over led just for a few millimeters
post #4789 of 9446
You're waiting for 8k (and only a few more years)? What size screen are you anticipating here? eek.gif
post #4790 of 9446
I've been very doubtful about 4KTV. Not much value to the average Joe.

BUT- Will it show a major improvement in 3DTV? Will OLED at any resolution/pixel count have advantages for 3DTV?
post #4791 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You're waiting for 8k (and only a few more years)? What size screen are you anticipating here? eek.gif
A 30" 8K monitor still has less resolution than an iPhone.
post #4792 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post

I've been very doubtful about 4KTV. Not much value to the average Joe.
BUT- Will it show a major improvement in 3DTV? Will OLED at any resolution/pixel count have advantages for 3DTV?
Not strictly related to the 3D. But for 4K displays of any technology: Sure, the current Passive3D implementation halves the vertical resolution, despite whatever merging gimickery your brain is supposed to be able to manage, so a 4K display would bring that back to 1080 of course.

You got me remembering recent hooey I read though for LCD only. Correct me if I'm wrong (please): but there's a new Passive3D posed by a manufacturer I forget (beats me if it'll ever ship) that involves passive glasses but a shuttering TV---every other frame one polarization, the others the other polarization (I'm guessing (????) from interleaving 2 LED grids behind the LCD, one grid polarized right for the even frames, the other left for the odd), and ironically, that wouldn't work on emissive technologies. But it would potentially be a full 4K-3D LCD with passive glasses.
post #4793 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

A 30" 8K monitor still has less resolution than an iPhone.

I thought somebody (I forget who, irkuck maybe) posted a good response the last time you brought this up, i.e., it doesn't matter, yours is an apples to oranges comparison.
post #4794 of 9446
Well, aside from the fact you would typically hold an iPhone well less than an arm's length from your eyes.

8K and diminishing returns say hello.
post #4795 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Unfortunately your reason will be beaten by emotions: when seeing cheapy 4K LCD 65" and more expensive 2K 65" OLED
people will grab 4K.

Set them side by side and people will see that they can't see the pixels, but they will see the difference in color and improved viewing angle. However, the biggest selling feature of anything is the PRICE!
post #4796 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The world is still on target for the 2015 Total LCD domination horror story apocalyptic holocaust!
OLED too pricey with all that will be left will be LCD that SUX!
LG down to only three Plasma models for 2013.
Is it guaranteed that Samsung and Panasonic will produce plasma in 2014?
LCD might be good for one person sitting directly in front of it--if you've got a wife get a divorce--if you've got friends who like to watch TV with you--get rid of them, too--I'm sure the message around here will be to just buy zillions of LCDs!
How can anyone who cares about video quality be hopeful for the future?
When all that is left is LCD--what incentive will there be to make them better?
Keep them looking sorry for $5,000...who knows...maybe Sharp really does have a future!

The manufacturers of OLED will get their act together and figure out how to improve yields, which will drop the price. Maybe Sony's Crystal LED tech will be even easier to produce, and it avoids the blue subpixel life issue that OLED has as well.

LCD viewing angles are fine for a couch in front of the TV. Maybe not for a chair set 90 degrees to the couch, but how many people watch TV like that?

LCD with local dimming and full array backlighting (Sharp Elite and Sony XBR) can look just as good as plasma. Plasma does some things better, the LCDs do some things better, it comes down to personal preference, but there is a world of difference between cheap LCDs and the high end panels.

If no one is making plasma anymore that doesn't mean the competition for the best picture quality will stop. There will always be a market for the sub-$1,000 Viseos and whatnot, but Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Samsung, et al will try to outdo each other to make the best looking set so that they can charge the highest price, and all of those improvements will trickle down to more affordable sets as they continue to one-up each other year after year.
post #4797 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

will they? if benefits of 4k are only visible to most consumers on an 80+ inch display (or within inches of the screen) will people really be willing to
pay a premium over 2k sets. now i concede your point once the price delta between 2k and 4k even out.

Passive 3D benefits today from 4K at 50" screen sizes (and up).

Passive 3D is a pleasure compared to active, with essentially free, battery-free glasses.

So I expect LG to be somewhat aggressive with regard to 4K, its marketing, etc. And I expect that will pressure Samsung, an active 3D proponent, to respond in kind.
post #4798 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Passive 3D benefits today from 4K at 50" screen sizes (and up).
Passive 3D is a pleasure compared to active, with essentially free, battery-free glasses.
So I expect LG to be somewhat aggressive with regard to 4K, its marketing, etc. And I expect that will pressure Samsung, an active 3D proponent, to respond in kind.


I'm not a fan of home 3d sets based on what I've seen to date, but that may be due to the rather heavy handed implementation of active 3d, imho.

My post failed to consider the benefits of 4k, pariticularly as it pertains to passive and glasses free 3d.

Point conceded.
post #4799 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Passive 3D benefits today from 4K at 50" screen sizes (and up).
Passive 3D is a pleasure compared to active, with essentially free, battery-free glasses.
So I expect LG to be somewhat aggressive with regard to 4K, its marketing, etc. And I expect that will pressure Samsung, an active 3D proponent, to respond in kind.

Indeed, having both passive and active at home I can attest passive is pleasure and with the 4K it will be ideal. But don't forget 3D viewing is and will be marginal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NulloModo View Post

The manufacturers of OLED will get their act together and figure out how to improve yields, which will drop the price. Maybe Sony's Crystal LED tech will be even easier to produce, and it avoids the blue subpixel life issue that OLED has as well.

If you have Sony dreams pray Sony survives. OLED by definition will be always much more difficult than LCD and it is unlikely to drop to the LCD level. Reason is that OLED pixel is much more complicated vs. LCD pixel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NulloModo View Post

LCD viewing angles are fine for a couch in front of the TV. Maybe not for a chair set 90 degrees to the couch, but how many people watch TV like that?
LCD with local dimming and full array backlighting (Sharp Elite and Sony XBR) can look just as good as plasma. Plasma does some things better, the LCDs do some things better, it comes down to personal preference, but there is a world of difference between cheap LCDs and the high end panels.
If no one is making plasma anymore that doesn't mean the competition for the best picture quality will stop. There will always be a market for the sub-$1,000 Viseos and whatnot, but Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, Samsung, et al will try to outdo each other to make the best looking set so that they can charge the highest price, and all of those improvements will trickle down to more affordable sets as they continue to one-up each other year after year.

LCD has still significant potential for improvement (e.g. IGZO) but consumers decided that PQ is enough good already. Thus local dimming is on extinction, plasma is dying, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic are zombies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatstreet View Post

Set them side by side and people will see that they can't see the pixels, but they will see the difference in color and improved viewing angle. However, the biggest selling feature of anything is the PRICE!

Yes, price. But we are talking about scenarios in which prices are similar Then people select model with higher performance numbers. Thus, seeing 2K and 4K they will buy 4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

You're waiting for 8k (and only a few more years)? What size screen are you anticipating here? eek.gif

That the 8K sets will come is sure since Japanese already decided they will have only 8K standard. When such sets come first is not clear yet since they want to provide full broadcast chain and content. But 8K sets my come earlier, 3-5 ys???
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

LG is having enough trouble with the 55" OLED model, do you really think we are going to see a 65" 2K OLED for sale to the consumer anytime soon?
Sale to the consumer @very attractive prices obviously? This is pipe dream.
post #4800 of 9446
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

I'm not a fan of home 3d sets based on what I've seen to date, but that may be due to the rather heavy handed implementation of active 3d, imho.
My post failed to consider the benefits of 4k, pariticularly as it pertains to passive and glasses free 3d.
Point conceded.

But as noted below... the point is minor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Indeed, having both passive and active at home I can attest passive is pleasure and with the 4K it will be ideal. But don't forget 3D viewing is and will be marginal.

... yes, I have yet to use the 3-D on my many-months-old VT50.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread