or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread - Page 284

post #8491 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post


I think it's very nice. If I have the money I would buy one. I sit directly in the middle when I watch my tv so a curve screen won't be a problem.

You explained perfectly why many of us hate them. The vast majority of viewing does not occur directly in the sweet spot.

(Anyone doubting this should observe the panoply of seating positions at their friends' homes over the coming weeks.)
Edited by rogo - 2/2/14 at 7:47pm
post #8492 of 9438

My Samsung OLED is awesome. Quit trippin' and get yourself a curved screen.
post #8493 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

My Samsung OLED is awesome. Quit trippin' and get yourself a curved screen.

 

What's making your screen awesome is the OLED part.  You mean you really wouldn't rather the thing were flat?

post #8494 of 9438
I have watched the Sammy in the sweet spot and the image is still distorted. I also don't like sitting too close to the screen, which is too small anyway. The blacks on my modified 141 are superb tonight. Great job by Fox.
post #8495 of 9438
I wanted my next set to be an OLED. When I saw the Samsung on display I didn't find the curve drastic enough to stop me from buying it. My only real concern at the time was motion blur and I'm happy to report that images are smooth and I never think about blur anymore.

Strangely, family and friends never comment on the curve or the floating frame. To them it's just another big-screen television, UNTIL you turn it on. smile.gif
post #8496 of 9438
My friends would mock me because it isn't really a big screen and they know I'd be downgrading, size-wise.
post #8497 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I have watched the Sammy in the sweet spot and the image is still distorted. I also don't like sitting too close to the screen, which is too small anyway. The blacks on my modified 141 are superb tonight. Great job by Fox.


I have to disagree with you. The overscan pattern in these images show very little distortion; circles and squares appear accurately drawn on the display. What's more, distortion existed well before OLED curved screens so let's stop feeding this lie that only curved screens distort. Stop spreading pooh-pooh and questioning salespeople for no reason other than to make fun. Who knows, maybe someday you yourself may come around to EMBRACE THE CURVE.



post #8498 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My friends would mock me because it isn't really a big screen and they know I'd be downgrading, size-wise.

Well, colloquially, it's a big-screen. I don't go into a store and say "l want to see a mid-size screen." There's small screen and there's big screen. That's it. If I said jumbo screen, you know I was taking about scoreboards or stadium screens, right?
post #8499 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

Well, colloquially, it's a big-screen. I don't go into a store and say "l want to see a mid-size screen." There's small screen and there's big screen. That's it. If I said jumbo screen, you know I was taking about scoreboards or stadium screens, right?

Yes, I'm not really here to start an argument about screen-size definitions.

But I'd call 55 inches a "mid size" since you've coined the term. smile.gif
post #8500 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I have to disagree with you. The overscan pattern in these images show very little distortion; circles and squares appear accurately drawn on the display. What's more, distortion existed well before OLED curved screens so let's stop feeding this lie that only curved screens distort. Stop spreading pooh-pooh and questioning salespeople for no reason other than to make fun. Who knows, maybe someday you yourself may come around to EMBRACE THE CURVE.



[/quot

To each his own. If you can't see that the screen is curved from the straight on picture that you posted, so be it. I do and will never accept a curved screen, especially one that is only 55 inches. Also note the discoloration on the left side of the second picture you posted. Not great off axis viewing either.
post #8501 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

I have to disagree with you. The overscan pattern in these images show very little distortion; circles and squares appear accurately drawn on the display.

 

Huh?  What?  The thing looks like a bow-tie.  I'd be scared to death of watching that for so long that I no longer see it.  After watching for a few hours, when you look around your house do non-curved things suddenly look larger in the middle?

post #8502 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post




I have to disagree with you. The overscan pattern in these images show very little distortion; circles and squares appear accurately drawn on the display.

Well of course the test pattern will properly fit the screen, but in actual viewing the curve makes the left and right sides of the screen appear taller than the center does. I saw it in person, and now i see it in your photo. I don't want to see this in my home.

Quote:
What's more, distortion existed well before OLED curved screens so let's stop feeding this lie that only curved screens distort.

Yes, distortion existed back when we had tube TVs with their curved screens and resultant geometry problems. But with the advent of Plasma and LCD Flat Panel TVs, distortion was eliminated because they're fixed-pixel displays which don't distort or bend the image, so curving is causing a sort of visual distortion that is simply non-existent on a flat panel TV.


Quote:
Stop spreading pooh-pooh and questioning salespeople for no reason other than to make fun.

I wasn't questioning the salespeople to make fun, i'm letting him know that there is no way in hell i'd ever accept a curved TV nor would i ever buy one from him. And i do hope he passes that on to his manufacturer reps. I do question the judgement of the people at LG and Samsung and even Sony about their decisions to release a flat panel TV that is no longer flat. The whole idea just seems so stupid. Probably the stupidest thing i've seen from the TV industry in the last 15 years.


Quote:
Who knows, maybe someday you yourself may come around to EMBRACE THE CURVE.

No, i know for sure that that will never happen. I hope my mid-sized 55ST60 and small 50GT50 last a long time, at least long enough for the manufacturers to come to their senses and abandon this stupid curved crap before it becomes a thing.
post #8503 of 9438
next they will say the reason for curved screens is because our eyeballs are curved...or have they used that one yet?
post #8504 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

next they will say the reason for curved screens is because our eyeballs are curved...or have they used that one yet?

But of course, that means the top and bottom must also curve..
They only solved half the problem tongue.gif

- Rich
post #8505 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

next they will say the reason for curved screens is because our eyeballs are curved...or have they used that one yet?

 

I still like the one about making sure that the light from all parts of the screen arrives at our eyes at the same time.  (LOL)

post #8506 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

next they will say the reason for curved screens is because our eyeballs are curved...or have they used that one yet?

I expect detailed math to show the precision of the curve is designed to match the curvature of the human eye within 0.00001 degrees.

Never mind that the human visual perception system is "constructed" by the brain and automagically sees flat just fine. (And thank goodness, too... Can you imagine if everything in the world had a fish-eye-lens effect?)
post #8507 of 9438
The OLED bendable models that consumers can make either flat or curved, are even more absurd. In a way, they are really a tacit admission by the manufacturers that their fixed curved displays are hated by the vast majority of potential future TV buyers. So in order to save face, instead of admitting that they screwed up badly by introducing curved sets, they instead said; fine then here is a new model that allows you to get rid of that hated curve. Idiots; all of them!
post #8508 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

The OLED bendable models that consumers can make either flat or curved, are even more absurd. In a way, they are really a tacit admission by the manufacturers that their fixed curved displays are hated by the vast majority of potential future TV buyers. So in order to save face, instead of admitting that they screwed up badly by introducing curved sets, they instead said; fine then here is a new model that allows you to get rid of that hated curve. Idiots; all of them!

And also introduces another potential point of failure... Honey, I can't straighten out the TV anymore - better call Samsung... biggrin.gif

-fafrd
post #8509 of 9438
Samsung must be doing something right, their still making money when other companies are struggling.....wink.gif

And curved tv's are not even out for sale yet (except for OLED) and how can you say it failed? There's no scientific data proving that. It's just bunch of opinions and rumors. I know what you guys will say, curve tv's are just a trend, nobody will buy it, blah, blah....... tongue.gif

All I'm saying is keep an open mind. Many people think the curved tv's are stupid but there are others that don't feel the same.

I think that curved tv's (excluding OLED's) will be a success for the "average consumer" market. It's going to look great in Best Buy stores!
Edited by tubby497 - 2/3/14 at 7:41pm
post #8510 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post

Samsung must be doing something right, their still making money when other companies are struggling.....wink.gif

Very little of it in TVs, especially when you consider they are vertically integrated.
Quote:
And curved tv's are not even out for sale yet (except for OLED) and how can you say it failed? There's no scientific data proving that. It's just bunch of opinions and rumors. I know what you guys will say, curve tv's are just a trend, nobody will buy it, blah, blah....... tongue.gif

Well, of course, no one is buying it, making it easy to make the snap judgments. But we wouldn't want to be facile.

So we could simply argue that pretty much every post here is negative. But then we'd only be pointing to a bunch of anecdotes.

But we could say "a bunch of anecdotes start to look like data."

Or we could simply point out that, you know, after 15 years of flat panels, the market demand for a non-flat TV has been successfully satisfied by offering 0% non-flat TVs lately. That'd be more data, of sorts.
Quote:
All I'm saying is keep an open mind. Many people think the curved tv's are stupid but there are others that don't feel the same.

This argument is especially not strong. It could be used to justify making only pink automobiles too. "Many people think pink automobiles are ridiculous, but there are others that don't feel the same."
Quote:
I think that curved tv's (excluding OLED's) will be a success for the "average consumer" market. It's going to look great in Best Buy stores!

They look stupid in stores, actually. There is a wall of TVs and then some weird thing sticking out. Yes, it gets attention, but in all the wrong ways.

"We finally got the TV out of the way and now you want that thing?"

I'd like to go out on a limb here since I've done that at AVS for years.

1) There is no chance curved TVs will dominate the next era. Zero.

2) Even with OLEDs, this will prove to be a weird fad.

3) When it fails to gain any consumer traction, at least one manufacturer will admit it was an attempt to get the technology to stand out but now that the technology stands out on its own, 'We concluded we didn't need it anymore.' "

The thing is, I'm not really that far out on the limb. No reviewer of any reputation likes the curved TV. They "solve a problem" no one had.

This is not the "people are pooh-poohing the iPad but it's going to succeed anyway" situation. There, people wanted a tablet computer they just didn't believe the iPad was going to be it,

There was simply no one asking for a curved TV. They still aren't asking for it. OLED sales would be no lower if they were available flat here instead of curved. In fact, they'd almost certainly be higher.
post #8511 of 9438
Distortion? Discoloration? Small, crap, stupid??? Please! This TV is on display at Value Electronics in Scarsdale NY and it blows away everything in the store. What are you guys smoking in your pipes!
post #8512 of 9438
Geometry, it's what's for breakfast (also, size is relative and an ever-changing benchmark in the broader cultural scope, or at least that's what I think she said).
post #8513 of 9438
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the OLEDs are all curved is because they are having problems making them flat and making them curved helps buy time till they get flat OLEDs worked out?
post #8514 of 9438
One interesting comment from a new review of the LG television. Could LG have installed new firmware to reduce the lag? I have to assume that all of the previous reviews couldnt have been wrong about the lag.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-55ea980w_TV_review_3d-sound-and-conclusions_Page-3
Quote:
The 55EA980W's picture quality and the immersive effects of the curve for a lone viewer make it a potentially spectacular gaming monitor. So we're very happy indeed to find that when using its game picture preset and turning off as much video processing as we could find the 55EA980W avoided LG's usual input lag problems, turning in an input lag measurement of just 33ms on average. This is low enough not to substantially damage your gaming abilities.

We have seen measurements higher than this in other tests of the 55EA980W elsewhere on the internet, but we checked and rechecked our results, and they were always the same. We can only assume the other testers hadn't turned off all of the set's video processing circuits when they took their measurements.
Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-55ea980w_TV_review_3d-sound-and-conclusions_Page-3#HL877yL6JOI3fiED.99
post #8515 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post

My Samsung OLED is awesome. Quit trippin' and get yourself a curved screen.

great!
who cares about the small curve.
if you watching testpatterns day in and day out it can be a problem.

do you have a colormeter?
i wonder how aggressive Samsungs ABL is compared to LGs OLED tv ?
post #8516 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

One interesting comment from a new review of the LG television. Could LG have installed new firmware to reduce the lag? I have to assume that all of the previous reviews couldnt have been wrong about the lag.
What method do Trusted Reviews use for measuring latency?
post #8517 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the OLEDs are all curved is because they are having problems making them flat and making them curved helps buy time till they get flat OLEDs worked out?

I think so: mentioned it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493578/lg-55ea9800-55-oled-owners-thread/30#post_23936015

I still think it plays a part in this: I cannot believe the manufacturers really think the curved screen is better than flat
post #8518 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the OLEDs are all curved is because they are having problems making them flat and making them curved helps buy time till they get flat OLEDs worked out?


I doubt it, because they have now introduced curved LCD TVs, and they have had no difficulties in churning out flat versions of them.
post #8519 of 9438
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe the OLEDs are all curved is because they are having problems making them flat and making them curved helps buy time till they get flat OLEDs worked out?


I doubt it, because they have now introduced curved LCD TVs, and they have had no difficulties in churning out flat versions of them.

I'm sure the curved LCD's will fly off the store shelves just as fast as the curved OLED's
post #8520 of 9438

There are only a few times in technology where a product line really takes me by surprise.  The attempt at curving a flat panel, a device that we've waited for DECADES to exist (AS. A. FLAT. PANEL).....wow.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › OLED TVs: Technology Advancements Thread