or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Comcast TiVo DVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comcast TiVo DVR - Page 62

post #1831 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogetz View Post

I made my weekly call and was told by a rep that they were all recently trained on the TIVO info and she expects that the rollout will be out within 30 - 60 days....man I hoep she is wrong...I am the typical person who wants it now....

who do you call at Comcast? I called them and they had no idea when I said tivo.
post #1832 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkofwar View Post

who do you call at Comcast? I called them and they had no idea when I said tivo.

I just call the number from the site..1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278). Also I have been calling for about a month and everytime I call I get someone that has herd of it and that it is coming soon..No one has said they have no idea about Tivo..
post #1833 of 4010
do go to the sales or the support?
post #1834 of 4010
Sales...for new cable...
post #1835 of 4010
If you think that it's challenging talking to Comcast about the availability/ordering of the Tivo software for their boxes, just imagine what it's going to be like getting support from them once the software is released.
post #1836 of 4010
Which is almost surely why they're applying a staged roll-out like this.
post #1837 of 4010
I will take my chances...Directv wants to charge me $70 bucks to come out and set up the new hd channels....They have no HD tivo and offer channels I have to pay a $70 setup fee for, btw I currently have the HD package and have had it for years....and they still want to charge me....I will gladdly pay more monthly and get what i want...Well as soon as it is released...
post #1838 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogetz View Post

I will take my chances...Directv wants to charge me $70 bucks to come out and set up the new hd channels....They have no HD tivo and offer channels I have to pay a $70 setup fee for, btw I currently have the HD package and have had it for years....and they still want to charge me....I will gladdly pay more monthly and get what i want...Well as soon as it is released...

Have you looked at Dish HD offerings. Currently I believe its better than Comcrap's HD offering...
post #1839 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post

Have you looked at Dish HD offerings. Currently I believe its better than Comcrap's HD offering...

Please, please, please stop pimping for E*. We get it. You like your E* stuff.

I, for one, don't want to be reminded of it in every single one of your posts. Not to mention that it only serves to take the thread off-topic...
post #1840 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

Please, please, please stop pimping for E*. We get it. You like your E* stuff.

I, for one, don't want to be reminded of it in every single one of your posts. Not to mention that it only serves to take the thread off-topic...

I knew a lot of other forums had the ignore user feature but just had to use it for the first time on AVS for 'hifikid'. So kid go ahead and praise your dish all you want now, I for one can't hear you anymore! You have said nothing on this thread of any use to anyone here so I'm not going to miss you.
post #1841 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post

Have you looked at Dish HD offerings. Currently I believe its better than Comcrap's HD offering...

To be honest Yes I pay less every month for my service but pay through the nose for the equipment...I assume the Dish will be the same as Directv...I am done with Sat in general if Comcast can get the HD Tivo...I for one am looking forward to the Comcast TIVO and that is why I am in this forum..
post #1842 of 4010
Is Comcast ever going to release the TiVo software?!?!?! We are almost done with the first week of October.
post #1843 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarbs View Post

Is Comcast ever going to release the TiVo software?!?!?! We are almost done with the first week of October.

I think they were too busy rolling out TBS-HD to every system but mine.
post #1844 of 4010
I spoke with a rep yesterday and it doesn't look like it will come out until at least December. They are testing currently and the rep said they are aiming for the end of 4Q for the release. The rep tried to get in on the testing because he wants the new software but couldn't get on the list.
post #1845 of 4010
GreekIrish, are you in New England? If not, then the Dec. timeline is correct. Even if you are, you may have gotten someone from another region who has no idea whats going on in Boston.

It will be much sooner than December.
post #1846 of 4010
I'm in Boston. I asked the rep where he sat...Boston. Sorry for the bad news. What different information do you have?
post #1847 of 4010
Mucher sooner than December....
post #1848 of 4010
How about Thanksgiving?

How about Halloween?

When will the eagle land?
post #1849 of 4010
My guess:

2013.
post #1850 of 4010
Seriously, if you are tired of waiting, you can get a nice new Tivo HD box on Amazon for about $250 and a 3 year pre-paid sub that equates to $8/month.
Thats $15 a month for Tivo with all the juice.


What do you pay in Boston just for DVR service? $12? $13? Any other box fees?
post #1851 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingisntit View Post

Seriously, if you are tired of waiting, you can get a nice new Tivo HD box on Amazon for about $250 and a 3 year pre-paid sub that equates to $8/month.
Thats $15 a month for Tivo with all the juice.
...

Except if your Comcast is using SDV or plans to use SDV for channels you want, link here.
post #1852 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingisntit View Post

Seriously, if you are tired of waiting, you can get a nice new Tivo HD box on Amazon for about $250 and a 3 year pre-paid sub that equates to $8/month.
Thats $15 a month for Tivo with all the juice.


What do you pay in Boston just for DVR service? $12? $13? Any other box fees?

In Philly, here are the fees:
With Comcast DVR:
$0 upfront
$11.95 a month DVR service

With TiVoHD
$548 upfront
$1.99 a month for the second CableCard

The $11.95 a month, for 36 months, comes out to $398.72, if you discount to present value with a 5% interest rate. That's the present value of the cost of 36 months of Comcast DVR service.

The $1.99 a month, for 36 months, comes out to $66.40. Add that to the $548 upfront payment and you have $614.40 in present value. That's the present value of the cost to have 36 months of TiVo.

The difference, which is the premium for TiVo, is $215.68 at present value, which, spread back out over the 36 months, is $6.46 a month. Plus, you lose On Demand and PPV. But, some of the $6.46 a month will be eaten up by the premium Comcast will certainly charge to upgrade to the TiVo service on the Comcast box.
post #1853 of 4010
No doubt sticking with Comcast and waiting is cheaper, but having lost the Microsoft Enhanced Guide (which was no great shakes in itself, but was amazing compared to what we now get with iGuide/SARA) and now having our HD channel scheduled recordings pulling in the SD channel feed (so no HD) made the extra $4 a month (since we get free cablecards here in Seattle) an easy cost for me to take on in my personal case and I went Tivo HD and now everything is great.

And considering 36 months of prepaid Tivo service is about the same price as 18 months of "pay as you go" Tivo service, if Comcast Tivo doesn't come out before 2009 here in Seattle (and it may take that long) I didn't really "lose" anything even if I never use the TivoHD again at that point. However, since I expect Tivo's native system will still be superior to the Comcast unit (and I do not use OD or PPV), chances are even if I add a Tivo Comcast box, I'll still likely be using the Tivo HD as my primary DVR.
post #1854 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

No doubt sticking with Comcast and waiting is cheaper...

...but infinitely more painful. Just do it. TRUST ME.
post #1855 of 4010
aindik,

the 2nd card is not necessary with the Tivo HD box if you get the M-card.

Also, I think using the time value of money in this case is wrong. Comcast could, and probably will bump up your rate between now and 3 years from now, regardless of whether you get the Tivo software or not. Other areas have already seen that bump.

Paying up front locks you into one rate, where with Comcast, you are obviously susceptible to raised rates at any time.
post #1856 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12 View Post

How about Thanksgiving?

How about Halloween?

When will the eagle land?

Given the repeated delays on the Comcast Tivo UI, and how quickly Comcast moves in general, I believe this is is when we'll see it...
-
-
-
-
scroll down
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
post #1857 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

Except if your Comcast is using SDV or plans to use SDV for channels you want, link here.

The method TiVo talks about here could easily turn out to be vaporware. If it doesn't materialize, you could be stuck with a TiVo that can't receive many of the new HD channels. Folks best wait till this becomes a reality.
post #1858 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

The method TiVo talks about here could easily turn out to be vaporware. If it doesn't materialize, you could be stuck with a TiVo that can't receive many of the new HD channels. Folks best wait till this becomes a reality.


I agree. Don't you love it when marketing departments write stuff:

Certain cable operators are using switched digital technology to add new niche channels or eliminate duplicate feeds of premium channels.

Currently, switched digital channels are unavailable to TiVo DVRs that use CableCARDs. However, the cable industry is working with TiVo and others to develop a technical fix so that TiVo devices will be able to access these switched digital channels.

Great progress has been made and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA) revealed the solution in a filing with the FCC. The agreed-upon solution is a small external adapter, called a tuning resolver, which will attach to the back of the CableCARD device and enable two-way communication with the cable headend so that switched digital channels can be received by TiVo products.

We expect the adapter to be available to consumers before switched digital becomes widely deployed.
post #1859 of 4010
SDV is why I won't consider a TIVO. Maybe down the road if it they can come up with a solution for SDV then sure I'll look at it more.
post #1860 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehancock View Post

The method TiVo talks about here could easily turn out to be vaporware. If it doesn't materialize, you could be stuck with a TiVo that can't receive many of the new HD channels. Folks best wait till this becomes a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaTVAddict View Post

SDV is why I won't consider a TIVO. Maybe down the road if it they can come up with a solution for SDV then sure I'll look at it more.

Of course, when will SDV become a reality?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Comcast TiVo DVR