or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Pioneer DVR 640h-S User Reports.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pioneer DVR 640h-S User Reports. - Page 2

post #31 of 3215
I'm with Sean on the Pioneers video mode editing ability...

For me, there is little reason to do real time dubbing to DVD with a Pioneer hdd Recorder.

With close to 700 DVDs burned with my Pioneer 531H only about 10 were real-time dubs. A couple of the ten were testing XP+ to SP re-encoding and the others were mainly stupidity on my part for not properly setting the optimum initial recording speed to hdd.

The Pioneer makes it very easy to trim ends of a hdd recording, and remove segments and add chapter points as desired. After high speed dubbing the edited recording to DVD, I have never felt the need or later wished that I had done frame accurate (versus video mode) editing.

When you re-encode from XP on hdd to SP on DVD, yes you can tell a difference. I have never tried re-encoding from SP on hdd to SP on the DVD...

My two gripes about the Pioneers 531H's editing ability are:
First , only ask me once per recording if I want frame accurate editing....
Second, the lack of DVD menu creation options. Toshiba is the only DVD recorder that has decent DVD menu creation options. Philips clones are going with YESDVD for menu creation. Sonys I've owned or seen had the fewest DVD menu options

my $.02
post #32 of 3215
Thread Starter 
If you use Timer Record instead of Easy Timer you can set by the minute. (rather then 15 minute segments)

OK so I played 3 Divx Files on my Phillips player, and Recorded them to HDD through the line 3 in real time. I Recorded in MN 10 which is 480x480 230 minutes record time to dvd. I chose MN10 becuase it seem to equate to the SVCD video format. ( My reasoning being the source material )

I then Retitled the HDD files , and High speed copied (Video mode) To DVD (Set to automatically Finalize) About three hours of Video took roughly 7 minutes from start to finish.

PQ seemed close to the source DIVX file that was played on the Phillips.
post #33 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

One thing I though I wasn't going to like is when you set it to record something manually. You have to set it in 15 minute increments, meaning an 8:00pm starting time can be set for: 8:00pm, 8:15pm, 8:30pm, 8:45pm, etc..., then what you do is set your timer and you can go back into it and edit what you set...from there, you can change minute by minute for whatever you like. Meaning if you want to start it at 7:59pm...you can. I love being able to set a timer for any hour:minute to any other hour:minute without restrictions, so although I wish you could do that during the initial setting, it doesn't bother me as long as I am able to do it somehow.

UPDATE:

There are more than one setting to use when doing a timer recording, if you use "Easy Timer Recording" then it's the 15 minute increments, if you use "Manual Timer Recording" it's minute by minute precise. So you don't have to set your Timer the "15 minute" way, and then edit that, you can set it directly how you like.
post #34 of 3215
Thread Starter 
Next I recorded 2 shows from cable T.V. to Hdd (Video Mode & MN10). I then Did My First Editing Erase Section. This Was pretty simple just selecting where to start(From) and end(To) then when prompted to "Erase Section" select "yes" and its Gone. Then I High Speed copied to DVD (Video Mode & MN10 ) With it again set to Finalize when Finished Copying.

Editing points seemed where I had set them. PQ looked true to source (Cable T.V.) Quite good actually. The Only thing I wished I had done was set a Thumbnail. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how this turned out.

Copty to Finalize of over 200 minutes of T.V. was about 11 minutes.

HP 16x DVD-R was used.
post #35 of 3215
Questions for you new Pioneer 640 owners?

1) If you have the 640 attached to a cable box, does the recording pick up the shows title from the cable like my Pio 531H does from TWC digial cables STB?
This is a very nice timesaving feature.

2) Does the 640 have a setup config option for choosing default thumbnail (time)? Something like 30sec, 1 min and 3 minutes(into the recording)?
If it does then choosing the 3 minute option will give more accurate title results per question one above.

3) Does the 640 have similar input signal adjustments to the 531/533/633 series?

Since the manual has yet to surface....We interested parties have a lot of stupid questions...
post #36 of 3215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post

Questions for you new Pioneer 640 owners?

1) If you have the 640 attached to a cable box, does the recording pick up the shows title from the cable like my Pio 531H does from TWC digial cables STB?
This is a very nice timesaving feature.

2) Does the 640 have a setup config option for choosing default thumbnail (time)? Something like 30sec, 1 min and 3 minutes(into the recording)?
If it does then choosing the 3 minute option will give more accurate title results per question one above.

3) Does the 640 have similar input signal adjustments to the 531/533/633 series?

Since the manual has yet to surface....We interested parties have a lot of stupid questions...


1 I have analog cable soo I can't answer that one. So Far I have Retitled everything myself. ( I just get date time source)

2 Yes

3 Have'nt gotten that far yet.
post #37 of 3215
Thread Starter 
So just out of Curiosity I shoved a full CD of MP3's in the DVD Drive. It it showed all the folders, highlite a folder it shows the mp3's in that folder. Highlite an mp3 press enter and it played the song. All the while the HDD is recording a T.V. Show.

I'm not ready to load the HDD jukebox yet though.
post #38 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post

Questions for you new Pioneer 640 owners?

1) If you have the 640 attached to a cable box, does the recording pick up the shows title from the cable like my Pio 531H does from TWC digial cables STB?
This is a very nice timesaving feature.

I saw that this situation didn't apply to "GhostInTheMachin", but I noticed that it does pick up the shows title. I was doing some testing and I recorded something from the Cartoon Network (just a clip from a cartoon called: "Billy and Mandy") and it titled it as: BILLYANDMANDY.

Then I tried something else from the Sci/Fi channel and it just titled that: SCIFI, similar to how an exterior source (like a VCR) would be automatically titled: LINE1 (or whatever A/V In you connected it to.

So I think it's fair to say that it's hit or miss, because it does with some channels and not with others. The way you can tell though is by watching TV through the Pioneer, when you change the channel it may or may not give you some info about what channel you have on...if it does, then that is what the Title will be named. If not it will Title it by the name or number of the channel you recorded it from.
post #39 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post

With close to 700 DVDs burned with my Pioneer 531H only about 10 were real-time dubs. A couple of the ten were testing XP+ to SP re-encoding and the others were mainly stupidity on my part for not properly setting the optimum initial recording speed to hdd.

Oldemanphil:

In some further testing I have been doing I noticed that "Real Time" dubs can be done where the HDD could have been set to any recording speed setting, and the DVD can be set to a different setting, but "High Speed" dubs have to be set at the same speed (example: Both set to "SP" mode, or both set to "MN 17" etc...)

But now, looking at your post, all I have to do is set the recording speed to "Optimize", and it will allow me to dub "High Speed" without worrying about having the speed settings match?

I tested High Speed already, but it was just a half hour show (so I used XP mode), but maybe you could assist me with what to do in the following situation.

Let's say I recorded a TV Movie that is three hours long (with commercials) so I use XP mode to get it on the HDD (giving me well over three hours at the best quality setting). Then when I edit the commercials out I get it down to 2 hours and 10 minutes (I have done this on DVD-Ram discs with recorders that have no HDD, so that is how I know how long it will be without commercials) and I want to transfer it to DVD.

Well XP mode on the HDD gives me over 34 hours so the 3 hour movie has no problems fitting in that mode, but to get the 2 hour 10 minute "edited" movie on a DVD, I would need to use "MN 20" mode (130 minutes). Now the "MN" equivalent to "XP" mode is "MN 32".

So now I can't use "High Speed" because it was recorded to the HDD in "MN 32", and I would need the DVD to be "MN 20" so it fit's the disc. So this example would have to be "Real Time".

Now I know that I could have set the HDD to record using "MN 20" (which would give over 73 hours, and then the speeds would match and I could "High Speed" dub, but what could I do if I don't know what the time will be cut down too after editing out the commercials, so that I will be able to "High Speed" dub?

The more people in here are talking about High Speed dubbing, the more I think I might be changing my mind about using it, and just live with "close" edits...instead of "precise" ones.
post #40 of 3215
Hi

Quote:
DVD Recorder manufacturers COULD make thier units so that you could do anything with either -R or +R with no limitations, but they simply CHOOSE not to.

They could, however the likes of Pioneer, Panasonic etc will only produce DVD Recorders that comply with the licencing and specifications of each format.

+RW uses the +VR recording mode, this is different to that used on DVD-RW/R, and +VR doesn't allow the longer recording times. They could of course allowed +RW to use the VR mode or the Video mode and so get the exact same recording lengths, however then it wouldn't comply to the RW spec and would have caused licensing problems.

In the UK we have the 540HX and 440HX, these come with digital tuners and also 2 EPGs, either the GuidePlus one (that requires regular downloading) or the digital one supplied with our digtal TV that is free from ads and is available to use immediately without downloads. An internal pic is here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=287176&page=4

Regards

Phil
post #41 of 3215
My Picture Quality Review (suplex Review #4)

Well after some more testing, I think that both Real-Time, and High-Speed dubs are as clear as the source they recorded from, making me thing that all the fuss about how good the Pioneer 640 looks on paper...is for good reason. The clarity of the picture when you would press "pause" was about as clear as a digital photograph.

My Toshiba D-R1 used to give a nice picture quality if the scene was outside in broad daylight, but a dark scene...like people talking in a dim lit bar, would show pixilation and artifacts. The Pioneer does great with Bright and Dark scenes.

I also put multiple titles on one DVD-R (removing and inserting the disc in between to make sure it would recognize it again) and it handled that just fine. I even tried two titles from the HDD (one High Speed, and one Real Time), and two titles direct to DVD (one Timer Recording, and one Manual Recording) and all four titles came out on the same DVD in great quality.

The compatibility of the disc played just fine on all the other DVD players in the house (including a portable one), so that's a big plus right there (would have been bad if it only played in the unit that recorded it, but it doesn't) and I played DVD's that I recorded in the Toshiba D-R1 and D-R2 models, in the Pioneer, and they all played just fine.

Something else I wanted to mention (as I promised in a former post I would try it and give my results here). When manually recording to a DVD I would always have problems if I pressed "pause" during the recording (using my older Toshiba's), but the Pioneer can handle it with no problem and finalizes just fine.

Little things I like about the Pioneer (compared to using two non-HDD units) is that when you do a dub (no matter what kind) you don't have to be there to "Stop" the recording...it's automatic. That's not news to anyone who has recorded using a HDD unit before, but I really like not having to worry about going back in the room to stop the recording now.

Oh and last thing...for now...is that I agree with "GhostInTheMachin" about how quiet the unit is when recording something. My Toshiba D-R1 was quiet, but the D-R2 made fan noise (only if it was on), so now I won't have to worry about which recorder to use if I want to record something late at night, just record it on the HDD and it will be whisper silent.

Until next time...
post #42 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

...Let's say I recorded a TV Movie that is three hours long (with commercials) so I use XP mode to get it on the HDD (giving me well over three hours at the best quality setting). Then when I edit the commercials out I get it down to 2 hours and 10 minutes (I have done this on DVD-Ram discs with recorders that have no HDD, so that is how I know how long it will be without commercials) and I want to transfer it to DVD.

Well XP mode on the HDD gives me over 34 hours so the 3 hour movie has no problems fitting in that mode, but to get the 2 hour 10 minute "edited" movie on a DVD, I would need to use "MN 20" mode (130 minutes). Now the "MN" equivalent to "XP" mode is "MN 32".

So now I can't use "High Speed" because it was recorded to the HDD in "MN 32", and I would need the DVD to be "MN 20" so it fit's the disc. So this example would have to be "Real Time".

Now I know that I could have set the HDD to record using "MN 20" (which would give over 73 hours, and then the speeds would match and I could "High Speed" dub, but what could I do if I don't know what the time will be cut down too after editing out the commercials, so that I will be able to "High Speed" dub?

The more people in here are talking about High Speed dubbing, the more I think I might be changing my mind about using it, and just live with "close" edits...instead of "precise" ones.

What I learned from other Pioneer owners on this forum:

Estimate the time/length of the program without commercials and set the MN record time to the next higher (slightly more time) setting. Then, after editing out the commercials on the HDD, you have a near-ideal MN setting for burning the DVD, allowing you to use high speed copy.

On my Pioneer 520H, this high-speed-copy method also preserves chapter markers that I set myself. I would expect the newer models to do the same.
post #43 of 3215
Is it passable to copy divx files to HD and play them from hard drive only? I mean can we store 100+ divx files on HD.

Sorry if question sound stupid.
post #44 of 3215
Thanks for the 640 answers and observations guys... Keep it up.

I'm going to have to get one to replace/backup my working horse Pioneer 531H. I have the ill fated TVGOS turned off anyway. The Pioneers work well with my TWC 's own EPG so TVGOS is a non-issue for me.

I will do almost anything to avoid the time involved with a real time dub,....So if my final DVD recording project is just over 4.4Gb, I'll start cutting out the credits and lead-ins to get it to fit.

Enjoy
post #45 of 3215
Great stuff! Thanks for all the updates! It looks quite promising so far!
post #46 of 3215
If you get a chance try a recording in around 3-4 hours. I was using MN16 on my 531. I mostly record reality shows. I don't want to have 15-30 DVD's of a season. I put about 4-5 episodes of a 1 hour show with the commercials cut out (42-43 Minutes after editing) on my Panny EH50 using LP and 3-4 episodes when I had the 531 on MN16. This is the deal breaker for me between the new Panny and Pioneer. The one that produces the best video quality at longer recording speeds is the one I am going with.
post #47 of 3215
Let me first say that I beg your pardon for my ignorance as I'm new to not only this forum but also to the topic at hand. I am anxiously awaiting my Samsung 5687 TV and am trying to set up what I think I want. I have been following this thread as well as the Panasonic EH55 thread, and leaning toward the 640. But, have a couple questions.

The reason I want a DVR is not only to record movies but also to supplement my DISH VIP211 receiver I plan on getting for a TV that is HD capable. Yes I will also get the VIP622 which will be connected to the main TV (S5687). However I want to be able to record from the 211 on another set and be able to download to a disc for future viewing whenever. As well as convert some tapes to disc. Eventually getting into editing.

I understand the 640 will not playback in HD but by going back through the DISH211 will it be converted to HD? Or does/will the TV itself take care of this function if at all?

Does the fact that the 640 doesn't have an HDMI make a difference as the panny does? Not sure if this is the basis for such a price difference or the fact that it has a 200GB HD.

Is it possible to be watching a program through the 640 live, pause it or rewind without actually recording the program as in the case of the DISH 622?

While I am contemplating an AVR, is it necessary with this unit?

Again please excuse my ignorance in these matters as from what I read most if not all of you have been doing this for sometime.

Thanks
post #48 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post

If you get a chance try a recording in around 3-4 hours. This is the deal breaker for me between the new Panny and Pioneer. The one that produces the best video quality at longer recording speeds is the one I am going with.

Ripper64:

I took it a step beyond that and I am glad that I did. I just made a disc I entitled: "Manual Speed Test", and here is how I created that disc.

There are 11 separate titles on the disc (5 minutes each) and I started at MN 10, all the way to MN 01. The reason there are 11 titles is because after the MN 01 title, is an MN 32 title (this way after judging quality I could see how it went from worst to best). I also changed the channels as I would go from MN 10, 9, 8, etc... so I would have different things to look at to judge the quality.

First one I checked was MN 09 (4 hours) and you know how Panasonic is known for having an LP (4 hour) mode that is just as good as the SP (2 hour) mode? Well now I can say that Pioneer is known for it also. Anywhere that I would "pause" the video in the 4 hour mode gave a crystal clear freeze to the picture.

Now instead of elaborating on everyone of the 11 titles I recorded, let me just say that the Video quality was still good all the way up to and including MN 05 (7 hours). When you paused it you could see slight artifacts, but you also don't watch things in pause mode, and the Video...when in motion...was still relatively clear.

Then I viewed MN 04 (8 hours) and that was finally where you could see some deterioration in the moving Video quality. Just slightly around the edges of people (like it was outlining their body) you could see minimal artifacts/pixilation, where as the sound was not anything that seemed like it had also lost quality.

I can say that I would rate the Pioneer 640's MN 04, or SLP mode (8 hours) as the same quality that older recorders (like my Toshiba D-R1 and D-R2) would give you in their 6 hour mode. However I would also say (in defense of Pioneers 8 hour mode) that if you wanted to do something like wait until TV Land shows a marathon of a show you like, and you wanted to record 8 hours of it on a DVD, it would be something you could watch without getting a headache, but if you were trying to record every episode to archive your library, you would want to go with a higher setting.

Then after viewing the 8 hour setting, I watched the 5 minutes I recorded in MN 03, 02, & 01 (10, 12, and 13hrs:22minutes respectively) and about the only thing those modes are good for would be if you recorded something on DVD and you miscalculated, and the overflow went on the HDD in one of those modes. This way you could just see what you missed, but wouldn't need to save it. Come to think of it, I don't even know if the Pioneer does that.

So what is my verdict on Pioneer's video quality? Excellent!

Here is how I would rate the Manual settings (similar to a traffic light):

MN 01 to 03 (Red, meaning Stop)
MN 04 & 05 (Yellow, meaning Caution, but with an edge using MN 05)
MN 06 to 32 (Green, meaning Go)

So out of 32 settings, to be in favor of 27 of them, be 75%/25% in favor of 1 (7 hour mode), be 50%/50% on another one (8 hour mode), and only truly dislike 3 (MN 01, 02, & 03), I would say that anything from making a DVD from one movie, to multiple episodes of a TV show, will be very easy to do with great quality using the Pioneer DVR-640H-S.
post #49 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

Ripper64:

I took it a step beyond that and I am glad that I did. I just made a disc I entitled: "Manual Speed Test", and here is how I created that disc.

There are 11 separate titles on the disc (5 minutes each) and I started at MN 10, all the way to MN 01. The reason there are 11 titles is because after the MN 01 title, is an MN 32 title (this way after judging quality I could see how it went from worst to best). I also changed the channels as I would go from MN 10, 9, 8, etc... so I would have different things to look at to judge the quality.

First one I checked was MN 09 (4 hours) and you know how Panasonic is known for having an LP (4 hour) mode that is just as good as the SP (2 hour) mode? Well now I can say that Pioneer is known for it also. Anywhere that I would "pause" the video in the 4 hour mode gave a crystal clear freeze to the picture.

Now instead of elaborating on everyone of the 11 titles I recorded, let me just say that the Video quality was still good all the way up to and including MN 05 (7 hours). When you paused it you could see slight artifacts, but you also don't watch things in pause mode, and the Video...when in motion...was still relatively clear.

Then I viewed MN 04 (8 hours) and that was finally where you could see some deterioration in the moving Video quality. Just slightly around the edges of people (like it was outlining their body) you could see minimal artifacts/pixilation, where as the sound was not anything that seemed like it had also lost quality.

I can say that I would rate the Pioneer 640's MN 04, or SLP mode (8 hours) as the same quality that older recorders (like my Toshiba D-R1 and D-R2) would give you in their 6 hour mode. However I would also say (in defense of Pioneers 8 hour mode) that if you wanted to do something like wait until TV Land shows a marathon of a show you like, and you wanted to record 8 hours of it on a DVD, it would be something you could watch without getting a headache, but if you were trying to record every episode to archive your library, you would want to go with a higher setting.

Then after viewing the 8 hour setting, I watched the 5 minutes I recorded in MN 03, 02, & 01 (10, 12, and 13hrs:22minutes respectively) and about the only thing those modes are good for would be if you recorded something on DVD and you miscalculated, and the overflow went on the HDD in one of those modes. This way you could just see what you missed, but wouldn't need to save it. Come to think of it, I don't even know if the Pioneer does that.

So what is my verdict on Pioneer's video quality? Excellent!

Here is how I would rate the Manual settings (similar to a traffic light):

MN 01 to 03 (Red, meaning Stop)
MN 04 & 05 (Yellow, meaning Caution, but with an edge using MN 05)
MN 06 to 32 (Green, meaning Go)

So out of 32 settings, to be in favor of 27 of them, be 75%/25% in favor of 1 (7 hour mode), be 50%/50% on another one (8 hour mode), and only truly dislike 3 (MN 01, 02, & 03), I would say that anything from making a DVD from one movie, to multiple episodes of a TV show, will be very easy to do with great quality using the Pioneer DVR-640H-S.



This is really good news and appreciate you taking it further. I actually prefered the recordings on the 531H up to around 3 hours. After that is where the Panny excelled. One thing that still bothers me with the Pioneer is that you can't high speed dub with frame accurate editing like you can on the Panny. Sometimes the program and the commercial are so tight that its like splitting a hair. I guess some people don't mind missing a second or so into the program. I have to decide about this issue and if I want the HDMI on the Panny. Otherwise the video quality on higher recording speeds sounds really good and probably better than the new Panny. I doubt Panny tried to improve in that area. That said, I hate to go over 4 hour recordings on one disc. Squeezing an extra episode or 2 without any quality loss from the 4 hour mode sounds tempting. This season of American Idol totaled 9 DVD's on LP on the Panny so it would be nice to cut shows that run longer down to less DVD's if the quality will be the same.
post #50 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

So out of 32 settings, to be in favor of 27 of them, be 75%/25% in favor of 1 (7 hour mode), be 50%/50% on another one (8 hour mode), and only truly dislike 3 (MN 01, 02, & 03), I would say that anything from making a DVD from one movie, to multiple episodes of a TV show, will be very easy to do with great quality using the Pioneer DVR-640H-S.

suplex, thanks for reporting the results of your testing with these new models. It would probably help a lot if you could describe what kind of TV set you're viewing these on, and what distance you're viewing at.

To those who are looking for guidance on picture quality: please be aware that picture quality is very subjective and depends on the size of the image you're viewing (determined by the size of your TV and the distance you view it at), by the type of material being viewed, and by the sensitivity of you the viewer.

Also be careful about using a paused still frame to judge the overall playback quality. There are a lot of "artifacts" that can be present in the moving image that will not necessarily show in a still frame. As an example, one of the things that annoys me is what I call "differential movement", where not all of the moving parts in a dark scene move at exactly the same time.

I speak of this simply as a caveat: if you are basing your buying decision on the relative quality between different machines it will probably be worth it for you seek out an actual recorder and try it for yourself.
post #51 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper64 View Post

One thing that still bothers me with the Pioneer is that you can't high speed dub with frame accurate editing like you can on the Panny. Sometimes the program and the commercial are so tight that its like splitting a hair. I guess some people don't mind missing a second or so into the program.

I'd also prefer to have frame-accurate editing on my Pioneer, but I've found that this is less of an issue than I'd feared it would be. When I'm editing out commercials my experience is that I manage to cut on black frames in about 90% of the cases even though I'm limited to cuts occuring on only every 15th frame (1/2 second). For the other 10%, the fraction of a second that I miss has rarely bothered me. In fact, since there's always a "fade-out" and a "fade-in" of the program around the commercials, the cut usually includes part of the fade and unless you're paying pretty close attention you can't even tell that anything is missing.
post #52 of 3215
Suplex, or anyone... does the 640 have an S-Vid output? The only video output that the Pioneer website mentions is the component output. I've just about made up my mind to buy one, but I need an S-Vid output to be able to adjust the aspect ratio in some situations.
post #53 of 3215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Suplex, or anyone... does the 640 have an S-Vid output? The only video output that the Pioneer website mentions is the component output. I've just about made up my mind to buy one, but I need an S-Vid output to be able to adjust the aspect ratio in some situations.


1 component video out (Video only no r-l audio)
2 composite video out or s video out

total of 3 outs

1 composite or s video in ( Autorecord)
2 composite or s Video in (one front panel)

total of 3 ins

coax dig audio out

2 front panel usb ports
one type b (pict bridge printer)
one type a ( dig camera , usb memory, or" other usb deivce")
post #54 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Suplex, or anyone... does the 640 have an S-Vid output? The only video output that the Pioneer website mentions is the component output. I've just about made up my mind to buy one, but I need an S-Vid output to be able to adjust the aspect ratio in some situations.

Yes, it has two sets of RCA outputs (Yellow, Red, & White) and next to each one of those is an S-Video output as well. So, in fact it has two S-Video outputs.
post #55 of 3215
Looks like "Ghost" and I are right on the same page. Both making a post at 7:40am too.
post #56 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post

Looks like "Ghost" and I are right on the same page. Both making a post at 7:40am too.

Spooky.

Anyway, glad to hear it does have S-video out, because the spec sheet makes no mention of it.

Is there an unadvertised DV-in feature as well?
post #57 of 3215
No DV input.
post #58 of 3215
Hi

Quote:


I speak of this simply as a caveat: if you are basing your buying decision on the relative quality between different machines it will probably be worth it for you seek out an actual recorder and try it for yourself.

I have to agree. MN6 on the Pioneer rated "Green for Go" in suplex's thread is for me absolutely horrible. Not only subjectively, but objectively it is recorded in a resolution of 352x240, on a large screen TV it looks bad, well it looks bad on any decent TV! This isn't just Pioneer, but any DVD Recorder. I find on a single layer the maximum you can go to without losing too much is 2 hours per disc, on a computer where you can tweak the encoder and do it non-real time you can go a bit higher, but not much.

Suplex must be watching on very tiny TV!

Regards

Phil
post #59 of 3215
Thanks suplex very much for taking the time to do these tests, and to list your results here. Very much appreciated by this guy who will be buying his first dvd recorder. The info is very helpful and this dvr sounds quite impressive. Thanks!
Have you had the chance to toy around with the slo motion yet? Just wondering how it appears.......
post #60 of 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipL_UK View Post

I have to agree. MN6 on the Pioneer rated "Green for Go" in suplex's thread is for me absolutely horrible.

Do you have the 640???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Recorders (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Recorders (Standard Def) › Pioneer DVR 640h-S User Reports.