or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here! - Page 2

post #31 of 3260
Thread Starter 
It seems some get it and some don't...Does everyone.....

1. Have updated software?
2. HDMI to HDMI cable?
post #32 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPaul View Post

I used the update from this forum. This morning I attempted to update via the internet and the player indicated that it already had the latest revision.

Where did you get the update on this forum?
post #33 of 3260
daveintucson:

I think you SHOULD do a initialize which will reset everything to the default. Others have said that the PQ was slightly softer after the update until they did this.

To do a initialization just go into the setup menu then to general > maintenance > initialize.
post #34 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNahre View Post

Where did you get the update on this forum?

The firmware update was posted in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=681416
post #35 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

daveintucson:

I think you SHOULD do a initialize which will reset everything to the default. Others have said that the PQ was slightly softer after the update until they did this.

To do a initialization just go into the setup menu then to general > maintenance > initialize.


Doesn't make a difference. A few, very few, have perceived a difference.
post #36 of 3260
Would they ever tell us what the update does?
post #37 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post

Doesn't make a difference. A few, very few, have perceived a difference.

I'm kind of surprised to hear from others that after the firmware update the picture looks softer. I have a JVC LCOS D-ILA HDTV connected via HDMI to my A1, and if anything I have noticed after I applied the upgrade, is that the picture looks even SHARPER than before . Out of curiosity, I asked a friend who had already seen movies in my setup before I upgraded the firmware, I asked him this simple question: do you notice any difference now? and he said: Yes, it is even sharper than before...

I have not changed any settings in my TV, so that would not be the reason. Anybody had a similar experience around here?
post #38 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiguy View Post

I'm kind of surprised to hear from others that after the firmware update the picture looks softer. I have a JVC LCOS D-ILA HDTV connected via HDMI to my A1, and if anything I have noticed after I applied the upgrade, is that the picture looks even SHARPER than before . Out of curiosity, I asked a friend who had already seen movies in my setup before I upgraded the firmware, I asked him this simple question: do you notice any difference now? and he said: Yes, it is even sharper than before...

I have not changed any settings in my TV, so that would not be the reason. Anybody had a similar experience around here?

It means that the only way to test the before and after picture quality is to have two players side by side (with old and new firmware). It doesnt mean going from memory which is pointless if you ask me.
post #39 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I am internet illiterate as well...Follow the manual..it took 1 minute..Everything popped up as it was supposed to. Simply plug the player (ethernet) into the router and follow the steps. It recognized my broadband and did everything else automatically...

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the info, and it sounds easy enough. I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. Also, the good news is I already have a CAT/5 run to my HT so all I need to do is plug it in

By the way, do you see any change in the PQ after the upgrade?
post #40 of 3260
well guys...

I have a problem: the update worked fine, it was showing the new firmware revision, but then i did the Initialize, and now I have no image at all on the screen!!!! Can't see anything!

oh my gosh!

EDIT: Forgot to set the Video Out to HDMI!! Working now!
post #41 of 3260
bshplt, whenever you initialize, it goes back to its default state, which is component output-enabled. Hit V. Output to switch back to HDMI.
post #42 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshplt View Post

well guys...

I have a problem: the update worked fine, it was showing the new firmware revision, but then i did the Initialize, and now I have no image at all on the screen!!!! Can't see anything!

oh my gosh!

You need to select the output again (press the v-out button) and also set the resolution back to 1080i
post #43 of 3260
Thank you guys, appreciate it!

Sorry for the false alarm!
post #44 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiguy View Post

I'm kind of surprised to hear from others that after the firmware update the picture looks softer. I have a JVC LCOS D-ILA HDTV connected via HDMI to my A1, and if anything I have noticed after I applied the upgrade, is that the picture looks even SHARPER than before . Out of curiosity, I asked a friend who had already seen movies in my setup before I upgraded the firmware, I asked him this simple question: do you notice any difference now? and he said: Yes, it is even sharper than before...

I have not changed any settings in my TV, so that would not be the reason. Anybody had a similar experience around here?

I also have a JVC D-ILA and I noticed the same thing after the update, Its probably my imagination but it looks more detailed to me after the update.
Are you getting BTB on your set? I am getting WTW but not BTB.
post #45 of 3260
This is going to sound stupid, but how exactly do I do an update for my player? I've got Comcast cable. Does the player have to be hooked up or powered on or do you just stick the ethernet cable in the back and it does the rest?
post #46 of 3260
Thread Starter 
Get your Toshiba owners manual. Follow the ethernet set up instructions and then go to 'maintenance' in the SET UP menu, click on firmware update and that is it. The manual is actually very good.
post #47 of 3260
I haven't even opened the manual up yet.
post #48 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

It seems some get it and some don't...Does everyone.....

1. Have updated software?
2. HDMI to HDMI cable?

Myself and some other Lumagen users get BTB through DVI.
post #49 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I haven't even opened the manual up yet.

Only girls ask for directions.

Actually, I had to whip mine out when I hooked it up. I freaked out and didn't know about having to hit the "resolution" button and whatknot.

When I tried to update my firmware last week, it gave me VUP ERROR on my faceplate. I'm assuming it's because my firmware was up to date but I have a feeling I'm wrong. The manual really didn't help me as far as updating. Didn't make much sense.
post #50 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

I haven't even opened the manual up yet.

This particular manual is short and to the point, you can read it in 10 minutes, so it's probably worth your while to do so
post #51 of 3260
Just finished updating from Toshiba site. I have a cable modem, but it was much slower than I had expected. The update took about 40 minutes to complete! Anyway, the most noticable difference is that when the HD DVD flash screen comes on there are now little blue dots that fly out from it for a few seconds. I haven't watched much HD discs yet so I can't say I've noticed any improvement in PQ or any degradation. The load times seem to be the same to me.
post #52 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post

I haven't watched much HD tapes yet so I can't say I've noticed any improvement in PQ or any degradation. The load times seem to be the same to me.

Where do you put the tape in?
post #53 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post

Just finished updating from Toshiba site. I have a cable modem, but it was much slower than I had expected. The update took about 40 minutes to complete! Anyway, the most noticable difference is that when the HD DVD flash screen comes on there are now little blue dots that fly out from it for a few seconds. I haven't watched much HD tapes yet so I can't say I've noticed any improvement in PQ or any degradation. The load times seem to be the same to me.

Took me about 40 minutes as well. The first 60% took forever, the remaining 40% went very fast. I agree, I think the manual is very good. Denon should take some cues from Toshiba as far as manuals go!

Update went without a hitch. BTB checked before update with THX optimizer. I could not see the shadow of the logo no matter how high or low I took brightness. After update it was the same. Could it be because I had my set calibrated and changes were made in grayscale and other tweaks in the service menu?
post #54 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Only girls ask for directions.

Actually, I had to whip mine out when I hooked it up. I freaked out and didn't know about having to hit the "resolution" button and whatknot.

When I tried to update my firmware last week, it gave me VUP ERROR on my faceplate. I'm assuming it's because my firmware was up to date but I have a feeling I'm wrong. The manual really didn't help me as far as updating. Didn't make much sense.

DigitalfreakNYC, mine gave me the same thing until I turned DNS on along with DHCP on. I like others and yourself did not read the manual where it tells you to do this. Afterwards, I saw the DNS IP address updated. Once that was done the update started fine.

I hope this helps
post #55 of 3260
Received my HD1 this morning from Value Electronics. Has a build date of May and has the 1.2 firmware. Have played two HDDVD's and two SD DVD's with no problems so far. I thought all the talk about the remote was exagerated, but I now believe it has to be the worst remote ever designed! The guy that designed it shoud either be fired, retrained or shot! Thank goodness for learning remotes..
post #56 of 3260
Just finished the update....it was painless...took about 35 minutes....like Jeff said just follow the instructions in the manual...

Haven't played with it yet but the settings i did have have not changed.

Man I have soooo much crap to to do....lol
post #57 of 3260
Updated earlier this evening - painless. Now watching The Perfect Storm. My player was pretty flawless, only one "out of synch" in 25-30 HD HDVD viewings. I haven't gone back and checked a previously viewed HD DVD but I can't detect any softening of the image. The FBI warning at the beginning of the HD DVD was just as sharp and crisp as always.
post #58 of 3260
I updated a machine thru dialup! But the modem was connected to a router via ethernet. I always have a analog modem connected to a router, it makes it easy to access my network from remote locations, that dont have any other connections. Or if a broadband connection goes down.
post #59 of 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I hope someone can check BTB & WTW before AND after the revision to verify if it is part of the update....

SSpears has already checked it out and it is indeed part of the update.
post #60 of 3260
Updating...

Will check but in...an hour...!!! LOL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › OFFICIAL Toshiba firmware update thread: 2.0 and or CD is here!